• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

MrMephistoX

cOn5Zg7.jpg

MrMephistoX

We need some youtube cooking recommendations up in this topic.

Joshua Weissman
Wide variety of simple to cook recipes, easy to follow and a good personality.

You inspired me...let’s see how it turned out?
C0vcDOe.jpg

Tasty! I think it would be more awesome with salted pork belly and Taiwanese or Japanese sausage though it’s a bit of a spam and processed American sausage overload: I’ve got a headache from the sodium but damn delicious.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

It looks like it needed more soup base.
I think it’s the fact I used fancy organic gochujang since that’s all I could find on Amazon Prime now so it’s missing the ridiculously strong artificial red dye in the Korean supermarket variety: flavor was good but I over did the noodles so they collapsed a bit.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Looks restaurant quality.

Even better, I like my meat overcooked.

I worked in kitchens all through college, even when I had a part time gig in the IT department for the university. I know the basics at least. The only reason it's overcooked is because my stove seems to be dying - getting a new one installed soon.

John2290

Yeah know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna get the french toast mix ready but i'm gonna dip some potato cakes in there, specifically Boxty (An Irish creation) and I'm gonna live with the diarriah tomorrow. That's what' I'm gonna do, maybe throw some red chedder on top and really fuck shit up.

nush

Went hard af on my workout. This was my reward:
Bacon avocado toast on homemade bread with the wife's canned, herb roasted tomatoes.

qN5rxR9l.jpeg

I make my own bacon.

qs2BSzJ.jpg

Super simple no skill just follow the salting procedure, usually takes 4 days.

Put the pork you want to baconate on a non metal dish. Salt the base, between layers and top, put in the fridge overnight. 24 hours, pour off the water that's pooled on the bottom. Get a fresh dish, rotate the top and bottom pork and again salt between all layers. It's ready when there's no longer any water.

When you want to use it cut slices off before and soak in a dish of water overnight to remove the salt taste and re-hydrate. The right cuts of pork and a meat slicer will give you rashers of bacon. I work with what I've got so no meat slicer and Chinese supermarket cuts of meat. It's stubbier bits of bacon for me for frying because of the limitations I'm working with, I also chop them for use in pasta and soup type dishes.

Keeps for a really long time,without needing to freeze and get freezer burn. This picture is day 3 of salting. Cut the skin off before use, as it just becomes like leather, wash it and give it to a dog for a really tough dog chew that they like.

MrMephistoX

I make my own bacon.

qs2BSzJ.jpg

Put the pork you want to baconate on a non metal dish. Salt the base, between layers and top, put in the fridge overnight. 24 hours, pour off the water that's pooled on the bottom. Get a fresh dish, rotate the top and bottom pork and again salt between all layers. It's ready when there's no longer any water.

When you want to use it cut slices off before and soak in a dish of water overnight to remove the salt taste and re-hydrate. The right cuts of pork and a meat slicer will give you rashers of bacon. I work with what I've got so no meat slicer and Chinese supermarket cuts of meat. It's stubbier bits of bacon for me for frying because of the limitations I'm working with, I also chop them for use in pasta and soup type dishes.

Keeps for a really long time,without needing to freeze and get freezer burn. This picture is day 3 of salting. Cut the skin off before use, as it just becomes like leather, wash it and give it to a dog for a really tough dog chew that they like.
Good tip when I was teaching in China it was somewhat hard to find decent bacon: cheap ass nitrate ridden crap by Oscar Meyer or Hormel was easy enough to get at Walmart or Carrefour though.

Which city are you in?

Last edited:

nush

Good tip when I was teaching in China it was somewhat hard to find decent bacon: cheap ass nitrate ridden crap by Oscar Meyer or Hormel was easy enough to get at Walmart or Carrefour though.

Which city are you in?

Shenzhen. You can just find American bacon here and have to got across the boarder to Hong Kong to find imported British bacon. Plastic packaged bacon isn't great, full of water and all that white stuff that comes out of it when cooked. I'm sure if I had the right cuts and a meat slicer I'd have something like good quality bacon with no preservatives or water injected.

I learned that on Saturday morning one of the supermarkets dumps unsold pork out for cheap first thing in the morning on a Saturday, It's half the price of packaged bacon and you get more meat. Just shop around for low cost salt as you'll need quite a bit of it and that's a big cost saving.

MrMephistoX

Nice Shenzhen is a very cool city if I can ever get my company to assign me to Hong Kong I’d be in heaven ;)

Is British bacon not cured pork belly?

nush

Those sausages look a bit like cheap hot dog style ones. Look for some short fat ones instead.

walls-sausages-500gr.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I make my own bacon.

qs2BSzJ.jpg

I buy a whole pig from my farmer buddy and let the butcher do the work 🤷‍♂️

I couldn't do spray cheese. American Cheese is bad enough already.
With the stellar exception of their plastic melt-y cheeseburger cheese. When you want that grease pit charred flat cheesburger with plastic orange cheese that sticks in your gut for 3 years. It's good for hangovers.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Decided to give in to a winter comfort food classic, chili! Grabbed some chuck roll from the freezer. And then decided to change things up a bit..

I seasoned the chuck with a smoky chili lime packet and smoked it on the offset for 3 hours. In the meantime, I sautéed onions, garlic and a fresh chili. Added the other ingredients from the recipe and let them get happy. After smoking, I cubed up the chuck and added it to the other stuff. Decided to add some diced tomatoes. Let it simmer until the meat fell apart. Served with sour cream, cheese and nachos.

Very different from my regular chili (normally use ground beef), bigger on meat flavor, packed more heat. Instant comfort food. Outstanding.

587cb7ccc1b464248c26b9335bc05b34.jpg

8eb504aacc65afb568a31c937e44ac45.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom