• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cool video which shows potential danger about Autonomous weapons

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Pretty cool video with high production values, about AI autonomous weapons. Obviously it's not real, but could in the future. Makes me think with current USA events that this would pretty danegerous "crowd control" in wrong hands.

V4skunk

Banned

Pretty cool video with high production values, about AI autonomous weapons. Obviously it's not real, but could in the future. Makes me think with current USA events that this would pretty danegerous "crowd control" in wrong hands.

Go search Jeff bezos robot dog and imagine it with a machine gun on top.

I can't find it but wasn't there an actual real life incident like something out of a movie where DoD was testing some autonomous weapons robot and it couldn't distinguish friend from foe and the project got canned?? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

M1chl

Go search Jeff bezos robot dog and imagine it with a machine gun on top.
Boston Dynamic robot is interesting, but it's not that fast. I think that what the video is showing is way more interesting.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I was researching to buy a drone a couple months ago, and I was surprised when I realized that China sells all of the mainstream alternatives. There isn’t a single top of the line private drone maker in the USA. This will be a problem soon the same way the western world controls most of the CPU technology research and is now trying to strong arm China by cutting their supply.

They already use drone assassins overseas, there has been a number of successful and unsuccessful attempts. It will only get worse. Coordinated killer drones isn't far off at all.

The sci-fi scrambler masks will become a thing eventually e.g. it scrambles your face and voice with a head mask so it can't be recognised. Device encryption and identifiers will become masked as well for security etc. There's a dark tone to it all if you go down that path but tech is reaching scary levels of access and low cost for highly effective unstoppable attacks or surveillance.

It is a well put together video.

Geneva convention states that the final decision of launching ordinance or engaging in lethal force with an enemy combatant, MUST BE carried out by a human.

We've had autonomous weapon platforms since the 70's

etp_1

Thinking further, isn't the Terminator movie series an upcoming documentary about this stuff?

exo-skeleton.gif

M1chl

Thinking further, isn't the Terminator movie series an upcoming documentary about this stuff?

exo-skeleton.gif
This small fuckers seems to be more scary to me, especially that you have no chance to hide yourself.

mcz117chief

This small fuckers seems to be more scary to me, especially that you have no chance to hide yourself.
Seriously, kamikaze drones are insane. At least Termies you see coming towards you and you can fight back with guns. Those little suckers would require some high-grade electronic warfare weaponry.

GeorgPrime

Banned

Still waitingf or Elon Musk to build that MechWarrior

M1chl

Seriously, kamikaze drones are insane. At least Termies you see coming towards you and you can fight back with guns. Those little suckers would require some high-grade electronic warfare weaponry.
How is that....EMP would probably suffice againts them, but I guess put a cage around with some sort of needle on it, so it can dischange the pulse and welp....

mcz117chief

How is that....EMP would probably suffice againts them, but I guess put a cage around with some sort of needle on it, so it can dischange the pulse and welp....
EMP would work but how will you carry a powerful enough EMP generating device? Really the kind of EMP you need to knock out electronics is produced by nuclear explosions and solar eruptions, both of which aren't exactly portable. I was thinking more along the lines of digital cloak or something.

mcz117chief

Still waitingf or Elon Musk to build that MechWarrior
MechWarriors are junk though, one light infantry squad would demolish it, or a single marine scout team with a laser pointer. They are cool though, but absolutely useless in any realistic combat scenario.

M1chl

EMP would work but how will you carry a powerful enough EMP generating device? Really the kind of EMP you need to knock out electronics is produced by nuclear explosions and solar eruptions, both of which aren't exactly portable. I was thinking more along the lines of digital cloak or something.
I think that device, if not omnidirectional, could be pretty pocketable or at least portable. You know capacitors, could do a shitload of damage, while not being that large, you only need high enough voltage, not current for this. But how would you direct this on something so small and agile. Sun do this on global level, not on small let's few meters from you level. Not the mention how far it has to travel, that's denitely, not comparable in any shape or form.

And cage would work most likely, you would just have to have some dischage point and that cage would have to be mounted with some isolant.

mcz117chief

I think that device, if not omnidirectional, could be pretty pocketable or at least portable. You know capacitors, could do a shitload of damage, while not being that large, you only need high enough voltage, not current for this. But how would you direct this on something so small and agile. Sun do this on global level, not on small let's few meters from you level. Not the mention how far it has to travel, that's denitely, not comparable in any shape or form.

And cage would work most likely, you would just have to have some dischage point and that cage would have to be mounted with some isolant.
I don't know about those things, but the only times I have heard about serious enough electronic interference that could destroy electronics was either from the sun or nukes, I suppose there are other sources of EM interference that are smaller and could be used for that purpose, I just never heard about them.

M1chl

I don't know about those things, but the only times I have heard about serious enough electronic interference that could destroy electronics was either from the sun or nukes, I suppose there are other sources of EM interference that are smaller and could be used for that purpose, I just never heard about them.
Since it can be done in home, I am not going to link some serious project which could actually kill electronic for good, but this is something for educational purposes: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-EMP-Gun-/

So yeah, it could work...but as I've said, you would have to be very lucky.

Dontero

Banned

And as technology improves it can be made smaller and smaller.

Atrus

Gold Member
Part of what makes Ted Faro an extremely unlikeable villain in Horizon Zero Dawn was that he was a CEO who made his autonomous weapons better iteratively rather than in one step like some mad scientist.

You could see how a dumbass CEO could rationalize making autonomous, self-replicating swarm robots that use biomass as fuel and whose controls are so heavily encrypted so as to be impossible to hack.

With scandals like Theranos, it’s well within the realm of possibility that some dumbass or sociopath connects features that should never be connected.

Worse yet is the idea that some dumbass in the universe already built one at some point and that they’re out there like some civilization ending land mine.

Top Bottom