• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Hints at DLSS 10 Delivering Full Neural Rendering, Potentially Replacing Rasterization and Ray Tracing

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

A future version of DLSS is likely to include full neural rendering, hinted Bryan Catanzaro, a Nvidia VP of Applied Deep Learning Research. In a round table discussion organized by Digital Foundry (video), various video game industry experts talked about the future of AI in the business. During the discussion, Nvidia’s Catanzaro raised a few eyebrows with his openness to predict some key features of a hypothetical "DLSS 10."

DLSS 3 debuted with the RTX 40-series graphics cards, adding Frame Generation technology. With 4x upscaling and frame generation, neural rendering potentially allows a game to only fully render 1/8 (12.5%) of the pixels. Most recently, DLSS 3.5 offered improved denoising algorithms for ray tracing games with the introduction of Ray Reconstruction technology.

The above timeline raises questions about where Nvidia might go next with future versions of DLSS. And of course, "Deep Learning Super Sampling" no longer really applies, as the last two additions have targeted other aspects of rendering. Digital Foundry asked that question to the group: “Where do you see DLSS in the future? What other problem areas could machine learning tackle in a good way?”

Bryan Catanzaro immediately brought up the topic of full neural rendering. This idea isn’t quite as far out as it may seem. Catanzaro reminded the panel that, at the NeurIPS conference in 2018, Nvidia researchers showed an open-world demo of a world being rendered in real-time using a neural network. During that demo the UE4 game engine provided data about what objects were in a scene, where they were, and so on, and the neural rendering provided all the on-screen graphics.

Catanzaro suggested the 2018 demo was a peek into a major growth area of (generative) AI in gaming. “DLSS 10 (in the far far future) is going to be a completely neural rendering system,” he speculated. The result will be “more immersive and more beautiful” games than most can imagine today

Between now and DLSS 10, Catanzaro believes we'll see a gradual process, developer controllable, and coherent. Developers are now experienced in tools that allow them to steer their vision using traditional game engines and 2D / 3D rendering tech. They need similar finely controlled tools ready for generative AI, noted the Nvidia VP

Topher

Gold Member
Ai is going to enable some wicked shit the further it advances.

sci-fi matrix GIF

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Interesting that the game will contain a description of the objects and the A.I rendering engine will interpret those objects and render them out. At that point everything is dynamic. Should look amazing.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
There'd still be graphics cards. Though theoretically it would put a lot of traditional game devs out of work.

I mean on some level it would be good in the sense it would make AAA game development way less labour intensive and therefore cheaper and faster to make...

Moochi

This kind of rendering would be a paradigm shift in the industry. 10-15 years out sounds about right, but I've been consistently wrong and underestimated AI image generation advances. Just a year after Stable Diffusion and Dall-E 2, I'm producing animated gifs with relatively good coherence at home on a 3090.
The thing that will slow this down the most, imo, is the human learning side where devs must become proficient with a totally new way of doing things. However, LLMs have an innate ability to do most of the work almost like magic. LLM engines for game creation will need to be trained, but I suspect that once they are, game development will be an order of magnitude faster and look photoreal have whatever stylistic flair you want. It isn't computationally more expensive to do photoreal than it is to do anime Studios Trigger style or make everything look like a Renaissance painting.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's so funny that we spent decades chasing the dream of ray tracing, and now that we are finally here it is going to just be replaced by AI generation in a year or two anyway.
IDK about in a year or two.. but yeah it is kinda funny. Good thing is, the hardware for AI acceleration is basically the same, and with more room for a bigger ratio on the die space (if that's how it works, I'm no expert).

Buggy Loop

" In a round table discussion organized by Digital Foundry (video), various video game industry experts talked about the future of AI in the business. During the discussion, Nvidia’s Catanzaro raised a few eyebrows with his openness to predict some key features of a hypothetical "DLSS 10.""

LOL fuckoff Toms hardware. PCMR reddit mod is called an expert

What a clickbait shit

Of course he's speculating a future iteration where DLSS is so good that AI is basically interpreting everything, its his job.

HL3.exe

All fun and interesting and all for rendering.

But they actual game you're playing and the simulation you're interacting with fundamentally still runs on the CPU.

As long as the simulation fidelity isn't keeping pace with the leaps in rendering (which it hasn't in the last decade), i'm personally less interested.

Last edited:

GymWolf

By that time i bet amd is gonna reach parity with series 4000 tech, let's see who is gonna laugh for last.

SHA

Now that would probably be worth the $30k for the RTX 9060. Just hope I don't keep getting stuck in it, or otherwise held hostage in it with the safeties off, that would kill the fun.
The rtx 9000 in this mean time is nothing but racing thoughts, hyping for contents on par with the 360 is way healthier.

Top Bottom