• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Arkeband

Banned
Exactly what did you feel the following names tell you about the games:
- Final Fantasy
- Disgaea
- The Legend of Heroes
- Ys
- Shin Megami Tensei (especially if you speak English and not Japanese)

FF is alliteration which is easily identifiable and there's a whole story behind how they came up with it.
Disgaea is nonsense but it's unique nonsense at least
Legend of Heroes is godawful
Ys is a bizarre title only consisting of two letters and references an in-game location
SMT is just word soup which can work for or against it.

Another example of a poorly named IP is Dragon Quest because some games don't even involve dragons in the plot, but they can't really change it at this point.

Anyway, bringing up other poorly named titles doesn't really excuse this one. Is this game going to go on as wide-ranging of a journey as Chrono Trigger? Who knows, maybe they should have named that one "Medieval Land Guy".

Anyway I'm done before I derail the thread further.

I'll probably check this out at some point, although the name has always seemed weird to me, like having a female protagonist is so in vogue now that they named the game itself "female protagonist in space".

I have basically nothing to go on as far as what the plot actually involves beyond that. Most other titles infer something, even Mighty No. 9 gives you a sense that you're going to find out about numbers 1-8 and maybe those past 9, and what makes 9 special.

What I'm getting at is I think the name kind of sucks. (sorry Rob)

Cosmic Phantasy + Phantasy Star = Cosmic Star + Heroine = Cosmic Star Heroine.

hawk2025

The problem isn't that you don't like the name.

It's that you somehow think it's named this way because "having a female protagonist is so in vogue now".

Bladelaw

Like...at all?

Or just not for release/this week?

Last we heard from Robert they were working right up to the last minute squashing bugs. As a result review codes weren't leaving in a timely manner. We might still get some coverage but it'll likely miss the launch window. I'm confident the game will be awesome, but if you're on the fence wait for some word of mouth. If recent releases are to be believed you'll hear plenty about how good/bad it is.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Part of the reason we put Heroine in the title is because we thought it would be kinda funny and make people double-take because it sounds almost like a drug. And we thought it would kinda get people asking about it / generate some silly discussion.

The kind of discussion about the name we didn't anticipate is whether or not referencing the main character is somehow bad or dumb, but ah well :p

(as a side note we conceived the concept and story and title many years ago, well before there was this big rush of heroines in big games. It's not like we picked the title yesterday with all the cool Horizon Zero Dawns and Automatas and what have you.)

Yeah, I stayed up all night Friday night finishing a final patch. Then we ran into trouble getting the patch up on PSN which is why review codes didn't go out (I'm new to this whole PS4 patching thing - got the Steam patch up easily since I know what I'm doing there). Also, the patch introduced a major menu glitch which I just fixed so I gotta upload a patch for that today. Today is going to be one hectic day, but I'm confident we can get everything sorted in time. But yeah, stress levels are at an all-time high.

BluWacky

FF is alliteration which is easily identifiable and there's a whole story behind how they came up with it.
Disgaea is nonsense but it's unique nonsense at least

Learn some Greek. "Dis" = bad, unlucky; "Gaea" = earth. It's literally the setting of the game (the Netherworld).

Ys is a bizarre title only consisting of two letters and references an in-game location

It's a legendary Medieval French city, which was directly referenced in the original first game's title.

SMT is just word soup which can work for or against it.

The title made sense for the first game in the series (which involves a character who is the reincarnation of a goddess, hence the "megami tensei" bit of the title).

Anyway, bringing up other poorly named titles doesn't really excuse this one. Is this game going to go on as wide-ranging of a journey as Chrono Trigger? Who knows, maybe they should have named that one "Medieval Land Guy".

"Chrono" fulfils the same requirement as "Cosmic" (and, to an extent, "Star"). Chrono tells you you're going through time; Cosmic tells you you're going through space.

Yeah, I stayed up all night Friday night finishing a final patch. Then we ran into trouble getting the patch up on PSN which is why review codes didn't go out (I'm new to this whole PS4 patching thing - got the Steam patch up easily since I know what I'm doing there). Also, the patch introduced a major menu glitch which I just fixed so I gotta upload a patch for that today. Today is going to be one hectic day, but I'm confident we can get everything sorted in time. But yeah, stress levels are at an all-time high.

Well now I just feel bad for sending you bug reports!

Still, I haven't found anything big and it's been such a joy to play so far.

Lanrutcon

Part of the reason we put Heroine in the title is because we thought it would be kinda funny and make people double-take because it sounds almost like a drug. And we thought it would kinda get people asking about it / generate some silly discussion.

The kind of discussion about the name we didn't anticipate is whether or not referencing the main character is somehow bad or dumb, but ah well :p

(as a side note we conceived the concept and story and title many years ago, well before there was this big rush of heroines in big games. It's not like we picked the title yesterday with all the cool Horizon Zero Dawns and Automatas and what have you.)

The name is fine, and awesomely well timed with the current climate of badass leading femmes!

Wishing you dudes the best of luck with sales.

Arkeband

Banned

Good to know, thanks. On its face it seemed very "look what we're doing" which you couldn't have really anticipated. It's inclusion seemed like the protagonist's gender served a specific importance (since "hero" can be either/or while heroine is specifically female).

I'm still gonna buy this, maybe the name will grow on me. This is just my singular dumb opinion.

I want to buy and support but man, my backlog is already killer.

Best of luck to you in these final moments!

hawk2025

The 9PM release date is a blessing. Seeing a preload with a countdown for this game after waiting so long is such a warm feeling :)

Good to know, thanks. On its face it seemed very "look what we're doing" which you couldn't have really anticipated. It's inclusion seemed like the protagonist's gender served a specific importance (since "hero" can be either/or while heroine is specifically female).

I'm still gonna buy this, maybe the name will grow on me. This is just my singular dumb opinion.

If a female protagonist makes you feel this way, check yourself rather than the game.

Luminaire

Buying when it's up, but likely won't be able to touch it for a while due to Persona hogging my PS4 and FF hogging my Vita.

mindatlarge

Currently getting through Persona 4: Golden, but after that, this game is definitely on my radar. I like the Phantasy Star vibe it has going on.

fester

Banned
Not a single one of those are story driven JRPG's (and those names are also bland) edit: except Legend of Heroes, which is the laziest name ever conceived.

I'm serious that the game doesn't convey what it's about (unless the plot is as thin as "woman does heroics in space") Even using the name Alyssa would have been more intriguing.

This is some seriously hypocritical commentary.

Last we heard from Robert they were working right up to the last minute squashing bugs. As a result review codes weren't leaving in a timely manner. We might still get some coverage but it'll likely miss the launch window. I'm confident the game will be awesome, but if you're on the fence wait for some word of mouth. If recent releases are to be believed you'll hear plenty about how good/bad it is.

I mean, I Kickstartered the game so I'm not exactly unsure if I'll get this. I'm moreso concerned that not getting a review cod before it's release means some outlets will just straight up not review it.

Does anybody know if there's anything that makes Vita version worse than the PS4 one, in terms of performance?

Last Vita version I tested, the load times were a little longer & sometimes the framerate dropped below 60 fps. Otherwise, they should be pretty close to identical (other than, you know, the Vita version not coming out tomorrow).

Just preordered it on PS4. Have had my eye on the game for a couple of years now so it's exciting to finally be able to play it. Too bad I'm out of town working until the 28th. It's going to make the next couple of weeks go very slow.

Clunker

Is there a way to check what platform we chose for a Kickstarter copy? I hope I chose PC since I don't have a Vita anymore right now. :(

Very stoked for this! I'm going in mostly blind as I've been a Zeboyd fan for ages and I know I'd like to be surprised.

Durante

I'd like to note that the game plays really well on a GPD Win (spent ~4 hours on it so far):
cosmic8pr2a.jpg

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I'd like to note that the game plays really well on a GPD Win (spent ~4 hours on it so far):
cosmic8pr2a.jpg

Thanks for posting this!
It also kinda gives us an idea of what kind of hardware it'll run on (I mean, we don't have GPDs to test ourselves)

Speely

Banned
Cannot WAIT to play this come the weekend!! Congrats to everyone at ZG and thanks for all the hard work.

The list of inspirations reads like my wishlist for a RPG of this type, and the game looks amazing.

Oh, and the title is badass. It's actually what drew me in when it was first announced.

My hype for this game is currently only exceeded by my hype for Persona 5, and Persona 5 was first past the post so I'll unfortunately be delayed in starting CSH by approximately *checks calculator* twelve years. Or at least it feels like it's going to be twelve years, at my current rate of progression. But I preordered CSH and it's absolutely next on my list. If the Vita version comes out before I finish P5 this will definitely be my go-to for my subway commute.

Nyoro SF

Learn some Greek. "Dis" = bad, unlucky; "Gaea" = earth. It's literally the setting of the game (the Netherworld).

It's a legendary Medieval French city, which was directly referenced in the original first game's title.

The title made sense for the first game in the series (which involves a character who is the reincarnation of a goddess, hence the "megami tensei" bit of the title).

"Chrono" fulfils the same requirement as "Cosmic" (and, to an extent, "Star"). Chrono tells you you're going through time; Cosmic tells you you're going through space.

This might be the most complete dressdown I've seen on GAF in the past two years.

Good luck with the launch, I'll be there once I'm caught on other parts of my backlog.

Durante

Regarding the GPD, one thing I had to do is play in 1280x720 borderless fullscreen windowed rather than fullscreen (the latter put some borders all around). I assume this is related to the unusual screen setup of the GPD (it's rotated). Not a big deal though.

rezn0r

Keep up the great work! There's a lot of us really excited out here. I might go load up PS2 or 4 and just let the menu music blast while I try and get some work done.

Hyperduck is currently helping us organize the Kickstarter stuff so we can send out codes to backers. Hopefully will be later today (except for EU PSN codes which we don't have yet).

Ri'Orius

Just started Trails of Cold Steel 2, but this looks like something I'll need to play afterwards. Probably not immediately afterwards: I do get JRPG fatigue, esp. after something as long as I expect Trails to be.

Come to think of it, any word on this game's length? I've been thinking for a while now that the world needs more 10-20hr RPGs...

Just started Trails of Cold Steel 2, but this looks like something I'll need to play afterwards. Probably not immediately afterwards: I do get JRPG fatigue, esp. after something as long as I expect Trails to be.

Come to think of it, any word on this game's length? I've been thinking for a while now that the world needs more 10-20hr RPGs...
You're in luck! 15-20 hours of brisk pacing is the estimate.

Durante

I can confirm that the pacing is very brisk and nothing about the game feels like it wastes your time for the first 4 hours at least.

This applies to both the story and the gameplay.

Hyperduck is currently helping us organize the Kickstarter stuff so we can send out codes to backers. Hopefully will be later today (except for EU PSN codes which we don't have yet).

If you ever make a game without Hyperduck on sound from this point on, I'll personally back your next game's $1000 "Punch you guys in the face for your terrible decision-making skills" level.

Dude blows my mind.

Top Bottom