• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

iratA

Ah good news Robert. Will be there Day 1 for physical, its been so hard waiting but I need it for my collection anyway.

Glix

Couldnt wait for a vita/switch rev. Got this on PS4. Just started chapter 3. Game is amazing!!!

I love love love the visuals and the battle system is EXCELLENT.

Will def double dip for a portable physical version, especially if it hits the Switch

Been really enjoying the game on ps4. The battle system is lots of fun. Came across a bug in some battles. When Sue uses his Laugh ability when he already has his counter up, his counter hits several enemies instead of just the one that attacked him. Overall things have been really smooth.

Ixian

Finally wrapped this up last night after finding my in-game companion counterpart. :D

Although I had fun with the combat system early on, once I was able to (combat spoilers ahead)
buff the hell out of Dave's Void abilities and take out almost every mob in one, maybe two attacks
it became a lot less interesting. As the player, I have the choice not to use those abilities, but they're so obscenely good compared to everything else that they're hard to ignore. I tried making other party combinations work, but ideas that sounded like they'd be cool on paper resulted in a lot less damage. Maybe the abilities I mentioned could be brought down, and others could be brought up to find a happy middle ground. Or maybe I just wasn't making use of other characters' abilities as well as I could have been.

Other than that, I enjoyed the game a lot. It has its issues, of course, including some major bugs at launch, but you can tell a lot of love went into every aspect of it and gosh was I excited to have a sci-fi RPG in the vein of Phantasy Star again.

One thing I'd like to give a special shout out to is the itemization. Weird as it may sound, it made me want to see what a Zeboyd take on a loot-based game would be like, even if the combat isn't Diablo-like.

No PS4 problems since the patch. I can now recommend this game to anyone on the fence. I'm at chapter 9 any idea how much longer I have to go?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm glad to see the limited edition is still on the cards, I thought I missed the boat... hopefully that coincides with some more free time!

Finally picked this up last week. I'm about five hours in and enjoying it. I find that it works best in short bursts - I play it twice a day for about 30 minutes and then move on to something else. Makes me think it'd be a fantastic Vita/Switch game.

My biggest issue so far has been bugs, especially menus being blank. I've been able to get around some of them but others I've had to restart the game. Really happy about the save anywhere because it lets me get out without losing any progress. The save menu is thankfully simple so I don't have to struggle too much without text!

As for Robert's question about a new BOD/8-bit game, I'd probably check it out because I liked it and Cthulhu (especially Cthulhu) but I'd be disappointed in the step back after CSH. I understand why you'd want to as the development on this game really got pushed out but as a customer I would want to see your best effort, not what would feel like a side game. Just my two cents.

Robert what's the eta on the vita version and have you ever considered porting the Penny Arcade games to Vita? Thanks.

No ETA on the Vita version but hopefully not too long. It doesn't make financial sense to port the PA games to the Vita - they're old now, they weren't huge hits to begin with, and they were made with XNA & our old engine which I haven't used in over 4 years.

Makes me think it'd be a fantastic Vita/Switch game.

I keep trying to get the game on Switch, but Nintendo keeps telling me to wait.

My biggest issue so far has been bugs, especially menus being blank.

Can you give me any details about the menus being blank bug?

I'll get a screenshot the next time I'm home and playing. I'm not sure what causes it but I suspect it's something like alt-tabbing out while the game is running or closing my laptop lid or something like that. (I'm on Steam)

jonno394

whyyyyyyy do they never seem to care about great things, it's so annoying

Because they're arseholes and they're going to burn some bridges soon. Going to really annoy me if indie devs start avoiding Switch due to their stupid decisions. I want this game on my Switch :(

gbland

No ETA on the Vita version but hopefully not too long. It doesn't make financial sense to port the PA games to the Vita - they're old now, they weren't huge hits to begin with, and they were made with XNA & our old engine which I haven't used in over 4 years.

Thanks for being on top of it. Will be waiting patiently for the Vita and/or Switch version!

Okay, I managed to recreate pretty easily by closing my laptop lid. I'm pretty sure this isn't the only way but that's how I did it this time! It reminds me of removing one of the background layers in a SNES emulator, heh.

gH4jx5Z.png

IOAlBOc.png

CNorJA7.png

edit: huh, I just got into a fight where the battle dialogue never popped up. good thing I saved like 20 seconds ago or else I would have lost all my progress!

Pastry

Banned

Can you give me any details about the menus being blank bug?

Thanks for the update on the Switch, hopefully it can get there one day! What do they want you to wait for?

Ooccoo

At first I almost asked Sony for a refund because the game should have never shipped in its state on PS4. There was a 100% repeatable crash after a certain boss fight. I also lost at least two early saves because of the patches.

After some updates, the game ran flawlessly for me. It's a very good game, but I feel like a lot of people will remember its poor launch. I was really saddened to see how even an indie game felt rushed out the door, something I thought was more the case with AAA games.

I'm not saying it was actually rushed. I think Zeboyd Games is a pretty genuine studio with a good track record. It's just unfortunate how the game launched.

I loved the monster variety and sheer amount of boss battles. I think that the songs are pretty OP, especially the healing one. I did try the hardest mode and got my ass handed to me. I wanted there to be
an endgame
but I understand this was probably too much and might be seen in a DLC or something.

bigol

Liking the game a lot, it's great but i had some issues understanding what Rust and Disarm do to enemies. Did i miss an NPC explaining them?

I also was stuck in this particular spot (Ps4 version), had to quit to main menu and reload.

cosmicstarheroine_201h5b06.png

slash000

Zeboyd Games
At first I almost asked Sony for a refund because the game should have never shipped in its state on PS4. There was a 100% repeatable crash after a certain boss fight. I also lost at least two early saves because of the patches.

After some updates, the game ran flawlessly for me. It's a very good game, but I feel like a lot of people will remember its poor launch. I was really saddened to see how even an indie game felt rushed out the door, something I thought was more the case with AAA games.

I'm not saying it was actually rushed. I think Zeboyd Games is a pretty genuine studio with a good track record. It's just unfortunate how the game launched.

I loved the monster variety and sheer amount of boss battles. I think that the songs are pretty OP, especially the healing one. I did try the hardest mode and got my ass handed to me. I wanted there to be
an endgame
but I understand this was probably too much and might be seen in a DLC or something.

I don't blame you for feeling this way; it's certainly been a lesson on our end. And I'm sorry about the save file thing :(

We intend to re-use this game engine for whatever we do next, so, ideally the kinks are worked out. And we can do more extensive testing of our own.

But your opinion as stated here is totally understandable. I do thank you for coming back to it after a few patches though. We're still adding a few things and tackling bug stuff that's recently being found.

Liking the game a lot, it's great but i had some issues understanding what Rust and Disarm do to enemies. Did i miss an NPC explaining them?

I also was stuck in this particular spot (Ps4 version), had to quit to main menu and reload.

[]https://abload.de/img/cosmicstarheroine_201h5b06.png[/]

The next update for PS4 will have a Tutorials section in the Main Menu (it's already live on Steam) which will help you and others out. As for this map "get stuck" area, I actually fixed it before, but, apparently my fix was insufficient, lol. Next update will correct that spot, for real this time.

v1.14
Added a run/walk toggle in the System settings.
Added volume settings for Music & Sound Effects in the System settings.
Fixed a bug where Sue's counter attack targeted multiple enemies in some situations.
Winning a battle with an ability that kills the user when everyone else is dead no longer causes problems.
Fixed a bug with Unleash.
Miscellaneous map & typo fixes.

We're going to upload new PS4 versions soon as well which will include this and all previous version updates.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
v1.14
Added a run/walk toggle in the System settings.
Added volume settings for Music & Sound Effects in the System settings.
Fixed a bug where Sue's counter attack targeted multiple enemies in some situations.
Winning a battle with an ability that kills the user when everyone else is dead no longer causes problems.
Fixed a bug with Unleash.
Miscellaneous map & typo fixes.

We're going to upload new PS4 versions soon as well which will include this and all previous version updates.

Huzzah!

Thanks for all the continued effort. It's really appreciated, and making a great game even better.

prophecy0

I know it's been asked before, but is there any ETA on when the extra content will get finished up? I bought CSH at launch but I'm going to hold off on playing it until all of the intended side quests are added back in.

I did play up through the first boss and I was haviing a blast with the combat system. This game is special.

I know it's been asked before, but is there any ETA on when the extra content will get finished up?

Next patch is likely to be a BIG one. Should have that extra content in. Hopefully early next week. Maybe the week after depending on how things go. :)

Also, a fun change I'm implementing - before you had to target NPCs in order to talk to them. Now I've got it so that I can set NPCs to let you talk to them just by being close enough. Makes things much less finicky.

Latest idea for a next game.

CSH gameplay. Maybe some slight changes/additions.
Castlevania/Shadow Hearts setting/style.
3 playable characters w/a Wild Arms-esque split beginning (you play each character in a short scenario before they team up).
4-5 hours.
NG+ remix mode w/various scenario changes & harder enemies (since you'd start with your endgame stats & equipment).
Finish development this year, but probably wait until February 2018 to release (since Nov/Dec are bad months for non-AAA game releases).

For the playable characters, the basic concepts I have right now are:
An Undead Hunter-type (Bloodborne/Belmont/Van Helsing-esque).
A young woman who can control & communicate with spirits, feared by the people as a witch.
A man of the cloth who discovers that his church may be hiding dark secrets.

Brunire

Can't go into any specifics, but I will say that the game is selling noticeably better on PSN than it is on Steam.

Great to hear. Hopefully word continues to spread about the game.

3 playable characters w/a Wild Arms-esque split beginning (you play each character in a short scenario before they team up).
4-5 hours.
NG+ remix mode w/various scenario changes & harder enemies (since you'd start with your endgame stats & equipment).
Would probably release in February of 2018.

A young woman who can control & communicate with spirits, feared by the people as a witch.

You had me at Shadow Hearts!

4-5 hours.
Finish development this year, but probably wait until February 2018 to release (since Nov/Dec are bad months for non-AAA game releases).

Sounds cool. After playing Cosmic Star Heroine, I'll buy anything your team makes!

Finishing it before the end of this year seems incredibly ambitious, though. But hey, if you think you can pull it off, that's awesome!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

4-5 hours.

Be right back, I need a moment of privacy.

4-5 hours.

Sounds great to me. I'm in for anything you guys do again. I like the smaller character focus. CSH's characters and variety were excellent but a little overwhelming at times

Will your experience and engine allow for a shorter dev cycle do you think based on that release time frame?

Sounds great to me. I'm in for anything you guys do again. I like the smaller character focus. CSH's characters and variety were excellent but a little overwhelming at times

Yeah, as I was making CSH, I realized that we had far too many characters for the game's length, but since we had done a Kickstarter, I didn't feel comfortable cancelling characters. I think a smaller cast will help us make each character far more memorable.

Will your experience and engine allow for a shorter dev cycle do you think based on that release time frame?

On my end, the vast majority of my time was spent making & tuning the general engine so that's a huge burden that's taken care of already. Obviously, making a shorter game speeds things up a lot. And we have some other ideas for ways to speed up the game creation process without sacrificing quality.

Got a notification from the Humble Store that CSH was on sale there for 20% off then with the additional 10% off for the monthly membership making it $10.79, less with what I had in my wallet, figured I might as well buy it now. Downloaded and installed, someday I hope to actually play it.

Too many distractions... Too... Many... Games...

Kirie

4-5 hours.

This all sounds incredible!

The Shadow Hearts games are some of my favorite games of all time so I'd be there day zero for this

Yeah, as I was making CSH, I realized that we had far too many characters for the game's length, but since we had done a Kickstarter, I didn't feel comfortable cancelling characters. I think a smaller cast will help us make each character far more memorable.
I thought that might have been the case and fully understandable considering the situation. Do you think you will Kickstarter this project too? In a way I imagine if you can fund it yourself you will be less restricted in obligations and if you can get it done in a year or so be better off financially at the end. Hopefully Sony still help you with the publicity a bit assuming you go the console route again.

I'm genuinely speechless about Nintendo's lack of apparent interest in helping you get CSH to their platform by the way. Boggles my mind. I would have thought they'd be biting at the heels of developers to get games to their platform :/

Gambit

4-5 hours.

Sounds utterly fantastic. I especially love the split beginning, a favourite story set-up of mine since Dragon Quest IV. Also the setting sounds great. Though it would be a big surprise for any (J)RPG if this church did not turn out to be evil. But I trust you know the trope well enough to do something special with it.

Now one thing I would personally find pretty cool is if you considered switching the woman and the man of the cloth around. Maybe make her a nun and the guy someone suspected of being a witch (which was quite common throughout Europe). The only reason I am mentioning it is because I have never seen these roles reversed like that.
Just a thought. But the party set-up sounds great in any case, clearly a lot of story potential right there.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly anything with the CSH gameplay would be amazing IMO, regardless of length. I really loved the gameplay in this (and I'm only a couple hours in). Whatever setting it ends up in sounds good to me =)

Really relieved to hear that CSH has at least brought enough money that making another game is a financial possibility. Robert, I remember you voiced doubts to that effect and mentioned the game's development had wrecked you financially, without going into specifics can we assume you are at least back on your feet in that regard?

Also I'm assuming you're waiting until all the other versions are completely bug-free before launching on Vita, right?

Just finished the game yesterday, quite enjoyable! Will go back and finish the last few trophies I need for the platinum at some point, when I finish a few more games. Overall though I loved the game, never had any bugs or issues which is great. My only complaint and it's minor is the last dungeon has a weapon that you can't use lol.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Robert, I love all of the game ideas you've posted, and I'm glad that CSH has seemingly done well enough to make continued indie development for you viable. That said, I would strongly prefer 16-bit-ish sprites rather than going back to an 8-bit style. I know it would be much more work, but I'd even be happier with lots of recycled/retooled CSH sprites.

Kind of an out-there idea, but if you have a lot of concepts you're bursting to make, perhaps you could make ultra-short, condensed versions of them, then tie them together in some sort of anthology game? Something like Live A Live. That would be like your split beginning idea, except much more so. It would also give you the chance to have sequences where you try out really crazy story beats or mechanics.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Home base Mass Effect? Feels more like Suikoden to me XD

The interview was actually with both me and Robert, but Robert wasn't able to answer the questions in time for the article. So as to the base, it's actually both; when it came to modelling the ship and its layout and how and where the main characters deliver sidequests, Mass Effect was the inspiration. Obviously the initial idea came from Suikoden and the support character recruitment / "base building" stuff.

The particular quote there for this section is missing a tiny segment where I asked Robert if he could fill in about the Suikoden influences, but since Robert was unable to answer the interviewer's questions at the time, it didn't get in there. I think the article's author (Joel) did a great job condensing all the stuff I blabbed about in answer to his questions though, to keep it concise :p

Really relieved to hear that CSH has at least brought enough money that making another game is a financial possibility. Robert, I remember you voiced doubts to that effect and mentioned the game's development had wrecked you financially, without going into specifics can we assume you are at least back on your feet in that regard?

No, but it's not like I know how to do anything else but make games. First month sales were lower than my low-end estimate, but they weren't quite as bad as I initially thought before I got more info on PS4 sales. I initially thought PS4 sales would be about the same as Steam sales or slightly worse, but it turned out that PS4 sales have been noticeably higher than Steam.

However, it's not all doom & gloom. One, I'm hopeful that sales will be decent over time. And two, we now have a much more advanced RPG engine than we did before AND the means to release on multiple platforms AND a lot of experience on how to make & release games. I think if we apply everything we've learned, we can make the next game in a fraction of the time & turn things around.

Also I'm assuming you're waiting until all the other versions are completely bug-free before launching on Vita, right?

Yeah, I want to be mostly done with tinkering with the game before I go back and do a final test/optimization pass on Vita.

Top Bottom