• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter Strike: GO - Debut Trailer, Preview and Gameplay

PetriP-TNT said:
Looks like CS to me, hopefully the console versions have some sort of "hardcore" mode replicating the pc version to the fullest but I doubt it.

And not having dedicated servers kills me inside (and the lack of mouse/kb support on PS3 when the support is there :/)

There are dedicated servers, but only PC players will be able to set up there own custom ones for more players, custom maps, custom modes, etc. And there is mouse & keyboard support on the PS3.

Man

I like the player-versus-lineup on the top of the screen. Similar to Dota 2 and more and more eSports games.

Tom Penny said:
Why did the bomb take an hour to go off. It did show recoil though. Another video had me fooled. They have failed. Another unplayable game :(

How is it unplayable? Do you just have extremely high standards? Nothing shown makes it unplayable. It seems somewhat decent.

Loxley

Chinner said:
yeah, well the land of xbox is full of a special brand of gamer. you know the type, arrogant, sexist, racist, homophobic and dane cook fans.

Yep, and the The Master Race is filled with nothing but delicate angels as pure as the falling snow. The consoles have more foul-mouthed kids to be sure, but I've come across just about as many foul-mouthed "adults" on the PC. This sort of bullshit has no age limit.

As for the 360 footage, I think it looks decent (about as decent as gameplay mechanics that are over a decade old can look), but ugh...could really have done without the douchey color commentary.

ksan

Tom Penny said:
Why did the bomb take an hour to go off. It did show recoil though. Another video had me fooled. They have failed. Another unplayable game :(
mp_c4timer default was 45 even in 1.6, then again everyone played with 35 (at least in cws/scrims/tourneys)

Makoto

I don't know why they would even show this footage. It's got the polish of a Source mod that's still in alpha. If someone told me this was from an independent mod team of < 10 people, I'd be sort of impressed, but this? This is from Hidden Path and Valve? Ugh.

StuBurns

Banned
I just watched the PC footage linked above, it looks good to me. It doesn't really look 'better' than Source, it just looks very different artistically, and actually weaker generally, but I'm going to play it I'm sure.

FLEABttn

Banned
It's no Uncharted or Crysis or Metro 2033 but I'm just not seeing the graphical problems that others are. It looks like CS, and it looks fine.

Played the demo at PAX.

I was skeptical about changes to the gameplay on the console. All in all, it still retains the soul of Counter Strike. I played the 360 version. There is no auto-aim (if there is, it was extremely subtle). The recoil is there. You have to crouch and aim. There is no buying of defusal kits. One CT randomly spawns with it.

Couple of changes to the dust map in the tunnel. There's now a stairway that connects to the top of the CT side from the tunnel. You can hug the ledge and get to the overlook. There is a plank bridge from the overlook to the outer catwalk.

marathonfool said:
Played the demo at PAX.

I was skeptical about changes to the gameplay on the console. All in all, it still retains the soul of Counter Strike. I played the 360 version. There is no auto-aim (if there is, it was extremely subtle). The recoil is there. You have to crouch and aim. There is no buying of defusal kits. One CT randomly spawns with it.

Couple of changes to the dust map in the tunnel. There's now a stairway that connects to the top of the CT side from the tunnel. You can hug the ledge and get to the overlook. There is a plank bridge from the overlook to the outer catwalk.

If the CT with the Defusal kit gets killed can the others pick the kit up?

kyo_daikun said:
If the CT with the Defusal kit gets killed can the others pick the kit up?
Yes, defusal kit shows up on the radar when dropped and can be picked up.

I love the bomb and defusal kit arrow reminders on screen when you're close to it.

I also like there is no indicator of your kill. No big fanfare on screen or anything. I was never sure if I got kill most of the time.

DTKT

marathonfool said:
Played the demo at PAX.

Was it fun?

I get a Condition Zero: Source Vibe from this. I just don't see the point for it. Why not just upgrade CSS? It doesn't look different enough to merit being it's own game and fracturing the cs community further.

I'm guessing it's Valve's big push for CS on consoles and the PC version is there just to say "hey we haven't forgot about you PC gamers!".

That's not to say it will end up a bad game just seems kinda pointless. Also the new maps looks bad imo. The color scheme and gritty realism makes them look generic.

DTKT said:
Was it fun?
I played a little bit of CS back in the day. Mostly a TFC player. My brother used to be a clan member in one of the better leagues and he wanted to play more. I thought it was fun and it totally appeals to a different crowd. It's not trying to appeal to the COD players.

The kills indicator is the upper right of the screen. I never knew if I was the one who killed the enemy because there is no sound or popup image. I thought that was great. There is no sense of constant self-achievement.

This will be a perfect introduction to CS for console players. PC gamers may feel like it's too similar to CS:S. I'll wait and see. They haven't released all the gameplay modes yet.

Played it at PAX on Friday. It plays like ass on console. However this has to be either alpha or Pre-Alpha gameplay. My friend had a guy next to him put the controller down while playing, hand him his beta code and shirt and say "fuck this" :/ However I think it will be just fine on PC

PnCIa

Watched some footage, what happened to the weapons? They look like utter cartony shit, sorry this is not Team Fortress 2 :(

epmode

NBtoaster said:
B to use sniper scope ??

Seems awkward.
I guess it's better than putting it onto the right stick considering that just pressing the button will move the viewpoint slightly. I imagine that's another reason why other developers like turning on the autoaim when you bring up a scope.

kassatsu

Banned
2 new modes announced based of Gun Game mod.

The two modes, “Arsenal: Arms Race” and “Arsenal: Demolition”, will also add 8 maps to the game.

8.jpg

2.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
sykoex said:
We can probably expect the PS3 version to be 60 FPS given Valve's expertise with the platform.

Doubtful considering Portal 2 didn't run at an unwavering 30fps on either console. The X360 versions L4D and L4D2 are even worse in this regard.

But, hey, I have a hat prepared, just in case. :p

-BLITZ-

Why do I see GO based on Left 4 Dead 2 engine, update or what it is. The weapons animation, bullets, the walking, the aiming are reacting like in L4D2. I don't see any good headshot here.

Coolwhip

Banned
Hah, so many people commenting on how it looks. Go back to your shitty COD then. CS is about it's awesome gameplay.

The only painful thing in that vid was the guy 'smacktalking' Made me cringe.

I actually would have preferred it if they made more changes to the mechanics and weapon loadouts this time-round, as the hardcore fans could always go back to CSS and 1.6.

Are they at least changing it so that the Deagle is no longer insane value for money and the only pistol worth getting?

Thoraxes

kassatsu said:
Valve is working with the Gun Game creators to create Arsenal Mode. "We are excited that Valve reached out and is working with us to ensure Arsenal Mode is the best version of Gun Game", Michael Barr project lead of Gun Game said in an official release.
As the type of CS:S that I played the most, Valve now has all of my money and I will buy it day 1.

Words can't express the love I have for GG, and it truly was the most fun i've had (and still do) in CS:S.

Card Boy

Banned
Coolwhip said:
Hah, so many people commenting on how it looks. Go back to your shitty COD then. CS is about it's awesome gameplay.

The only painful thing in that vid was the guy 'smacktalking' Made me cringe.
Whats CoD got to do with anything. No one even mentioned CoD.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thoraxes said:
As the type of CS:S that I played the most, Valve now has all of my money and I will buy it day 1.

Words can't express the love I have for GG, and it truly was the most fun i've had (and still do) in CS:S.

A mate and I have turned GG into a drinking game. It's great.

Gez said:
Whats CoD got to do with anything. No one even mentioned CoD.

CoD.

rezuth

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
I actually would have preferred it if they made more changes to the mechanics and weapon loadouts this time-round, as the hardcore fans could always go back to CSS and 1.6.

Are they at least changing it so that the Deagle is no longer insane value for money and the only pistol worth getting?
USP > Deagle

Top Bottom