• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Oh hey look, that one guy who left the COVID threads once before because everyone kept pointing out how he rejects facts he doesn't like and misinterprets data over and over is back doing the same. It's like later 2020 / early 2021 all over again!

If you own shares...
LTGEFo3.jpg

Dude please don't post these social media misinformation grifters. Right in the middle of that poorly-made image is a huge lie.

Oh hey look, that one guy who left the COVID threads once before because everyone kept pointing out how he rejects facts he doesn't like and misinterprets data over and over is back doing the same. It's like later 2020 / early 2021 all over again!

Dude please don't post these social media misinformation grifters. Right in the middle of that poorly-made image is a huge lie.
Why am I not surprised the same 3 or 4 people nobody likes are still here. Do you think this thread became a ghost town with about 5 consistent posters because your arguments are just so awesome? I’m sure you fellas tell yourself that. Do you think it was the quality of your arguments that scared everyone off?

Could be. Of course it’s more likely that it’s because no one likes talking to a couple of insufferable, ridiculous people. Not to mention a very large number of people mysteriously get banned, but hey, who am I to judge?

I’ll let you and your friends get back to jerking each other off.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

aw man you were doing so good until the past part :messenger_squinting_tongue:
I didn't say it reduces oxygen levels in the blood if that's what you're thinking. You exert a little more effort to breathe is what I meant by intake. It does slightly raise CO2 levels in the blood though.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
If others aren't wearing one, you wearing one doesn't protect you much unless it's N95, and N95 masks aren't great to wear for extended periods of time as they can reduce oxygen intake.
I do wear N95s and I do not wear them for extended periods. Just for short trips into crowded places like Walmart or Kroger. Sometimes CVS or Dollar General. Oh and when I pick up take out.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I do wear N95s and I do not wear them for extended periods. Just for short trips into crowded places like Walmart or Kroger. Sometimes CVS or Dollar General. Oh and when I pick up take out.

Same with my KN95's. If I have cold-like symptoms I'll also put on my mask as soon as I get out of my car, rather than right before I enter a store / whatever.

It's still out there infecting thousands a day. We just had another day with over 3,000 deaths in the US just last week. I don't know why some people are acting like everything is fine everywhere and even trivial measures like masks should now be abandoned. Also I'd guestimate that about 90% of the people I see when I am out, anywhere, are still wearing masks.

RAÏSanÏa

Satire:
“Look, this protest is only about vaccine mandates,” an anonymous protestor said. “And it is my right as a Canadian to peacefully protest those mandates by using my tractor to amicably ram police cars until I get the desired outcome.”

Other protestors decried what they called a fringe minority in their midst.
“Those militant extremists don’t represent us,” a spokesperson for the so-called freedom convoy said. “The vast majority of us are here to calmly threaten the journalists of the mainstream media that they will get what’s coming for them.”

RAÏSanÏa

“I feel a little defeated,” Isaac Peters said while sitting around the fires Monday night. The mood of the protest changed Monday after RCMP said it arrested 12 people after finding a weapons stash. The Mounties said this cluster joined the protest in its early days but were separate from the larger group. The situation prompted RCMP to suit up in tactical gear, Mr. Peters said, and openly carry large firearms.

“The fact that they did find weapons in the area — that was a surprise,” Mr. Peters said. “Tensions ran really high. All of a sudden, we had the SWAT team here.”

RCMP searched three trailers in Coutts Monday, shortly after midnight. The guns and arrests influenced the protesters’ decision to abandon their posts, Mr. Peters said.

“We set out as a peaceful protest and we wanted to end it that way.”

That's just how it goes with protests in Western democracies. Once any whiff of illegal or unlawful activity is present the cause and public support evaporates and dissent is quashed. It means protests can only occur within the boundaries of the system that allows protests to occur. But that's the system we built for ourselves so...er tough luck to those compliant and legal protestors I guess.

RAÏSanÏa

That's just how it goes with protests in Western democracies. Once any whiff of illegal or unlawful activity is present the cause and public support evaporates and dissent is quashed. It means protests can only occur within the boundaries of the system that allows protests to occur. But that's the system we built for ourselves so...er tough luck to those compliant and legal protestors I guess.
But peaceful protests are heard, recognized, evaluated and have made changes. Maybe not all they wanted since all they want isn't reasonable or possible. Like shutting down all factory farming, resource extraction, nuclear power, temporary covid mandates.

daveonezero

Banned
That is some funny shit after summer of 2020.

symptoms I'll also put on my mask as soon as I get out of my car, rather than right before I enter a store / whatever.

It's still out there infecting thousands a day. We just had another day with over 3,000 deaths in the US just last week. I don't know why some people are acting like everything is fine everywhere and even trivial measures like masks should now be abandoned. Also I'd guestimate that about 90% of the people I see when I am out, anywhere, are still wearing masks.
Good for you. CNN doc said it is now up to personal choice and responsibility so I’m doin the same things I’ve been doing for 2 years.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

"God keeps telling me to, 'Stay where you are. Don't go anywhere. You are doing the right thing,'" Dyck said.
God talks to him.

"I surrendered to our Lord," said Pedersen, who would not reveal her vaccination status on privacy grounds. "I said, 'Your will, not mine. I will give everything I have to the freedom movement. My time, my energy, my money, my resources. If necessary, I will surrender my own freedom and even my life.' Because that is what it could come to."
Suicidal.

Shortly after Saturday's Jericho march, about 100 people gathered on the snow-covered lawn of Parliament Hill, to the east of the doused Centennial Flame, for a prayer service ministered by Harold Albrecht, a former Kitchener, Ont., Conservative MP.
Albrecht, a former Protestant minister for six years, asked the gathered to break out into smaller groups of six and eight to pray for a country that he says has become unmoored from its Christian foundation.
Albrecht says vaccine mandates unjustly marginalize the unvaccinated by threatening their livelihoods. He says it also goes against Scripture found in the Old Testament book of Deuteronomy that forbids the seizure of millstones to secure owed debt.
Suggesting Christian Sharia?

Leriger, who became a Christian at age 30, says his personal trials are only part of what motivates his weekend trips to Ottawa in support of the Freedom Convoy. He feels governments crossed a line by shuttering churches during lockdowns.
"The very nature of the church is to get together, and the government was trying to rule the church. The government left their sphere of authority," said Leriger.
"This is wickedness. This is complete rebellion against God."
Or maybe churches, as well as other large indoor gatherings during the pandemic, were sources of spreader events.

What unites them is the drive to end vaccine mandates and force Prime Minister Justin Trudeau from office.
"If he stays in power, then we are in a dictatorship," said Dyck. "I would rather die on my own two feet than beg for the rest of my life."
Delusional and suicidal.

Dyck says he believes there are shadow powers behind Trudeau and other world governments. He says pandemic restrictions are just the beginning of a creeping tyranny that will tighten its grip.
"We live in the Book of Revelation, 100 per cent," said Dyck, referring to the last book of the Bible, which is widely interpreted in evangelical circles as prophesying the end times.
"If you look at what's happening, how the government is working. It is step-by-step all in the Book of Revelation. It's clear as day."

This brings to mind the abuse of eschatology by charlatans and a quote from the Bible but not in a predictive sense.

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's: clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda hard to be "suicidal" when talking about a disease with a roughly 3% mortality rate, including (and massively skewed by) the most vulnerable cohorts, and most importantly largely due to ancestral strains that are being quickly displaced by a more contagious but less pathogenic variant!

RAÏSanÏa

Kinda hard to be "suicidal" when talking about a disease with a roughly 3% mortality rate, including (and massively skewed by) the most vulnerable cohorts, and most importantly largely due to ancestral strains that are being quickly displaced by a more contagious but less pathogenic variant!
Unsure if you were referring to my post, but since my post does mention "suicidal" as yours does I will respond. The quote isn't about natural immunity, it appears she was saying she is willing to give her life to fight the mandates which is realistically self-harm and can be taken as a threat in context of other sinister events related to the protests.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Unsure if you were referring to my post, but since my post does mention "suicidal" as yours does I will respond. The quote isn't about natural immunity, it appears she was saying she is willing to give her life to fight the mandates which is realistically self-harm and can be taken as a threat in context of other sinister events related to the protests.

The assumption of essentially war powers to break a protest is tyrannous. Especially when the health and public safety pretext is transparently bogus. The world is watching and noone believes that the protesters represent a sufficient threat to justify such a draconian response.

RAÏSanÏa

The assumption of essentially war powers to break a protest is tyrannous. Especially when the health and public safety pretext is transparently bogus. The world is watching and noone believes that the protesters represent a sufficient threat to justify such a draconian response.
At the request of the provinces and cities to help them manage their covid response free from the threats and intimidation of fanatics. There is nothing bogus regarding covid policy public safety by the cities/provinces/fed except the misinfo/disinfo surrounding it from opponents.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
At the request of the provinces and cities to help them manage their covid response free from the threats and intimidation of fanatics. There is nothing bogus regarding covid policy public safety by the cities/provinces/fed except the misinfo/disinfo surrounding it from opponents.

No, it was more likely triggered by political pressure south of the border due to the protest impacting supply chains. This action has nothing to do with Covid.

RAÏSanÏa

No, it was more likely triggered by political pressure south of the border due to the protest impacting supply chains. This action has nothing to do with Covid.
That would be one influence as many jobs South of the border require trade and the border mandate regarding vaccination is part of the Covid response and wasn't going to be removed . So they had to go. However, that wasn't the only request being made of the Fed regarding the security of the provinces to govern and the vast majority to travel.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Coming to an end.
So, it appears, are the "protests" in Ottawa.

Google translate:
According to our information, platoons from the Tactical Intervention Group will be called upon to travel to Ontario to participate in police operations under the command of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP).
The Sûreté du Québec SQ , however, plans to erect a command center in Gatineau, on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River.
The deployment will be so large that the Sûreté du QuébecSQ estimates that it will have a greater presence on the Ontario side than in Quebec City, where another demonstration against sanitary measures is planned for this weekend.
The Ottawa Police Service (OPS) has also warned residents of the city that the evacuation operation of the demonstrators will take place over 24 hours.
Even the situation on the Ottawa side has an impact on the people of the Outaouais , reacted André Fortin, parliamentary leader of the Quebec Liberal Party and MP for Pontiac, referring in particular to the traffic jams caused by the blockages.
I expect everyone to work with the City of Gatineau, with its police forces, to ensure that the judgment that will be made by the court is respected by all , he said, also saying expect the police to take the necessary action if the judgment is not respected.
On the side of Québec solidaire, MP Manon Massé said that Quebec police forces have the tools to act . According to her, the Quebec police have the means, the SQ knows these tactics. [...] Me, I trust them.

RAÏSanÏa

BC just did a review from the first restrictions being loosed back in mid January. Scheduled to be reviewed again before and after spring break.
8k0wnjmsf2i81.png

Vaccine pass is scheduled to be kept until June 30th.

Nice man. Takes the edge off everyday life doesn’t it?
At the end of the day it was just 1 really bad day, but the mental aspect of questioning every day if it will get worse or if you're in the clear really takes a toll.

And it was hard on my relationship with the gf because I didn't want her near me at all. (even tho she had it just 2 weeks before)
But it's all good again.

Irobot82

Fellow COVID survivors, I have a question.

Has anyone's sense of smell permanently changed after COVID?

Mine has changed. It took around a month or more to come back but it isn't the same as it used to be. Has anyone found any methods to return it to how it used to be or is this something I just have to live with?

Hari Seldon

At the end of the day it was just 1 really bad day, but the mental aspect of questioning every day if it will get worse or if you're in the clear really takes a toll.

And it was hard on my relationship with the gf because I didn't want her near me at all. (even tho she had it just 2 weeks before)
But it's all good again.
Dude when I had Covid I had the time of my life. My wife made me stay in the basement, where I proceeded to play video games for 4 days straight with no interruptions by wife or kids. I would fucking lick a Covid patients face to get that deal again.

Last edited:

Setzer

Mine has changed. It took around a month or more to come back but it isn't the same as it used to be. Has anyone found any methods to return it to how it used to be or is this something I just have to live with?
My smell is fine but my taste is still screwed up. I can't taste anything that is sweet. It's like when I eat a piece of candy I can taste the flavor of it but its not sweet...it's almost like the sugar in it has been replaced with salt. I hate it and I'm going on 3 weeks now since I had covid and this is the only lingering symptom.

Is it worse or better?
I'm not sure at all if it's covid related or not, but I have a feeling I smell less.
Same sensation and kind of smells, just less.

Cat poo doesn't bother me as much anymore. Rotten food doesn't smell that bad aymore.
I did smell the nice roasted chicked today, tho.

So no idea if it's real or i'm overthinking this again.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Is it worse or better?
I'm not sure at all if it's covid related or not, but I have a feeling I smell less.

Cat poo doesn't bother me as much anymore. Rotten food doesn't smell that bad aymore.
I did smell the nice roated chicked today, tho.

It's not a better or worse thing I suppose. It's some things smell different. Rotten food like you said, eggs, even (ahem) when I'm hitting a number 2, the smell has changed. One thing to note, all of those things now have a similar note to them.

Alebrije

Is it worse or better?

I did smell the nice roated chicked today, tho.

You are becoming a zombie..

1st stage rotten food does no smell bad

2nd stage you start to eat it

3rd stage "I wonder how human brains taste"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good to see trucker protest getting cleaned up. Protest all you want but steer clear of being a hassle and clogging up streets.

A few weeks ago, the convoy semi-clogged up Highway 401 here by having giant long convoys drive in the collector lanes. Didn't affect me as they left the left /middle lanes open and I blew by them as they had a protest route they were driving where they looped south on Highway 404 towards downtown while I was going north on 404. But anyone trying to go on that south ramp was fucked as it came to a complete stop for a good km. The entire 401 highway was slow going east due to the convoy taking up the right lanes, so if you needed to get to downtown, it was better to blow by everyone and get off at Victoria Park and go south the long way to downtown.

Problem is government took forever to do it. So it festered over weeks into a big mob of trucks and people. If gov acted faster it wouldn't had reached these limits. No different than Seattle CHOP zone. That was a 3 week ordeal too. Of course it's going to be a pain in the ass with tons of cops needed if you let it go rogue wild for weeks.

Last edited:

The offer of a second Covid booster jab for the most vulnerable groups in the UK is expected to be made in the coming weeks, The Independent understands.

A decision has already been reached by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), but the full details of its recommendation have yet to be passed to ministers, according to a Whitehall source.

unofficial still but seems to be the way things are going

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Topic is dying. Nothing more to talk about?

Just look at this:
Looks promising, right?
qR1aJNu.png

Things have been playing out predictably in each country over the past three months given key metrics like vaccination rates and how fast and efficient they are at testing and tracings. So yea, not much to really discuss, just basically pointing at current events and data and going "yep, that played out as the experts predicted".

For example, we can compare New Zealand and the US. NZ reached around 90% of all eligible with two doses (it's even higher now, like 95%) and so they began easing restrictions while adhering to their strong practice of testing and tracing. A month or two later they "exploded" (/s) with a little over 1,000 cases in a day, with less than 60 hospitalized, none seriously, and no deaths. They got everyone quarantined that needed to be, etc, no big deal, all to be expected. Then we look at the US, where only about 65% are fully vaccinated and only 75% with one dose, while our testing and tracing is horrific. We're still seeing thousands die a day. Thousands hospitalized a day.

I'm just waiting to see if some other shoe drops in these poorly vaccinated countries who are all seemingly opening back up. It could be the unvaccinated keep dying by the thousands each day until the virus has rampaged through that portion of the population. That seems very likely. Meanwhile places like NZ and South Korea will keep having their little hiccups but it will be largely life as usual for them.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Can't believe Taiwan is still doing a zero covid approach. And New Zealand waiting until October to remove most travel restrictions look insane.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm just waiting to see if some other shoe drops in these poorly vaccinated countries who are all seemingly opening back up.

South Africa has a relatively low vaccination rate and was the first to open up post Omicron peak. Based on that, it seems unlikely to be of concern.
Especially as we now have solid data showing how Delta and other ancestral strains have been displaced to near extinction levels wherever Omicron has become endemic.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

It's likely nerve damage. A lot of viruses infect nerve cells, and many even lay dormant in nerve cells permanently like chicken pox / shingles. There's tons of research into how to make nerve tissue regenerate, because it's one of the biggest issues we have as humans with things like paralysis or alzheimer's.

But don't get too discouraged. It's still so early in terms of understanding long covid and what causes the multiple ailments. Most people seem to heal from it eventually.

Six Great Plant-Based Foods to Fight Nerve Pain
  • Green and leafy vegetables. Broccoli, spinach and asparagus all contain vitamin B, a nutrient important for nerve regeneration and nerve function. ...
  • Fruits. Eat at least one fruit daily to help heal damaged nerves. ...
  • Zucchini. ...
  • Sweet potato. ...
  • Quinoa. ...
  • Avocado.
Who knows. But it can't hurt to eat well and take a multi-vitamin. And get 8 hours of sleep daily. 🤷‍♂️ I'd ask your doctor if he recommends any medication or supplements, but most of this research isn't really done yet.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Some corners of the internets are not taking the UK lifting restrictions well (I swear I didn't make this up):

• So I'm going to order more at home tests every 3 days from now until april, I don't leave my house often, maybe once a week at most where I leave to interact with anyone, aside from that I take my 3 month old rescue puppy for a short walk during daytime hours when people are at work or not around my tiny village. I also barely see anyone, again at most once or twice a week interaction with anyone in person so having a stockpile of tests built up over that time for me to use when I have people come over or I go out will be useful for me. Fuck the Tories as always.

ManaByte

Some corners of the internets are not taking the UK lifting restrictions well (I swear I didn't make this up):

• So I'm going to order more at home tests every 3 days from now until april, I don't leave my house often, maybe once a week at most where I leave to interact with anyone, aside from that I take my 3 month old rescue puppy for a short walk during daytime hours when people are at work or not around my tiny village. I also barely see anyone, again at most once or twice a week interaction with anyone in person so having a stockpile of tests built up over that time for me to use when I have people come over or I go out will be useful for me. Fuck the Tories as always.
I wonder where that was posted.

Top Bottom