• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crowbcat soul vs soulles Resident Evil 4 Remake

OCASM

Banned

More seriously, here are a couple of in-depth videos that explain why gameplay wise the game is inferior to the original:

For anyone getting big mad over the idea that some people may prefer the 4make over the OG or the fact that the game was remade at all...

Just look at the original 1996 release of Resident Evil. The vast majority of the gaming community act like REmake rendered the OG obsolete and that the 1996 release is an unplayable mess. Not only that, Capcom doesn't even offer the original version in any official capacity. Director's Cut finally just got released with the OG OST but Director's Cut is nerfed compared to the original RE release and has mandatory auto-aim. The fans of OG RE just accept it cause we know why we like it and we also enjoy REmake.

My point is, OG RE4 is available on all modern and legacy platforms. You can play it to your hearts content. Getting butt hurt over a remake is just beyond dumb. You have nothing to be upset about. Chill out and enjoy the OG RE4, it's not ever going to be lost to time like OG RE 1996.
Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC
Great comparison except for the fact that REmake is infact superior to the original in every way.

Demons Souls is basically 1:1 and isn't the 20th entry of a cashgrab scheme.
Wrong:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I haven't played the remake just yet, but the video does give me the impression of a catastrophic downgrade in the area of sound design.

I watched it with headphones on--incidentally, also how I play any atmospheric game like this one--and the complete loss of sound atmosphere seems unforgivable in the areas he highlighted. I don't know if it's a fair comparison or not until I play.

Some people are not pleased because of the RE 4 Remake criticism.

Others(like me) are not pleased because we think Crowbcat could make a better video.

We are not the same.
I'm here because I loved some of his previous videos. Some of them I consider a masterclass of a savage factual takedown. This one is just bad. Relies on a very cheap editing trick and just totally fails to convey any point he was trying to get across looking at the video title.

I liked the remake a lot but I don't give two fucks about defending it. As opposed to some self-proclaimed defenders of integrity who just can't seem to recognize their own rose-tinted nostalgia bias and try to intellectualize it with some truly outlandish BS. If someone feels like the OG was better that's totally fine, I haven't played it since 2005 but for the time it was amazing.
Agreed! Injecting commentary via the video's title in this case hurts the "objective" nature of his videos I've appreciated in the past, too

Strategize

Counter Point: Shitty Tank Controls vs. Drunk Driver Attempting To Steer 70s Cadillac Through Medieval Village In Tuscany Controls

Neither are the bee's knees in 2023. Especially after playing Dead Space Remake. Like, Yikkkkkkkesssssssssss!
Skill issue, but anyway, skill or not nothing is saving the OGs controls by 2023 standards.

Strategize

Og's tank controls and forcing "stop-and-shoot" is just a different type of tension compared to focus on mobility and combat options that RE4R added. Apples and oranges, and I like em both.
The problem is the OG can't decide wether it wants to be a sick action game where the protag can jump over lasers and suplex zombies, or a slow paced careful survivial shooter. The complete lack of movement doesn't fit the tone or Leon's character, which is evident by having all the cool shit happening during QTEs
Wow, what a ripper of a comeback.
Thanks, took me ages.

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
Skill issue, but anyway, skill or not nothing is saving the OGs controls by 2023 standards.
What's wrong with the OG controls? Just admit you don't have the patience to learn a different control scheme from Fortnite's.

The problem is the OG can't decide wether it wants to be a sick action game where the protag can jump over lasers and suplex zombies, or a slow paced careful survivial shooter. The complete lack of movement doesn't fit the tone or Leon's character, which is evident by having all the cool shit happening during QTEs
Supplexes aren't cool?

Last edited:

Vick

Here's a different take on the OG.

I actually prefer the look of RE4 on PS2. Especially if you have the component cables and force it into progressive scan. It's got a super gritty vibe to it.

Yea GCN is better on paper but for my own tastes, PS2 for me.
giphy.gif

That's one proper outlandish, preposterous beyond any possible reason/logic, surreal claim. What the fuck dude..

Great comparison except for the fact that REmake is infact superior to the original in every way.
I think he's got a point there.
REmake is superior in every way, true, and yet OG RE manages to still be relevant, unique and charming in is own way, it's an absolute blast and pleasure to play to this day and I'm not ashamed to admit at times I went with it instead of the 2002 one, which is by the way my favorite Remake of all time.

Also, please buy Dead Space: Remake everyone.

Vick

Og's tank controls and forcing "stop-and-shoot" is just a different type of tension compared to focus on mobility and combat options that RE4R added. Apples and oranges, and I like em both.
Not just that to be fair, also a matter of visual feedback as OG RE4 simply feels sublime to play, and I can't imagine anyone used to tank controls disagreeing with this.

Feeling super fun to play still?
Being somewhat unique instead of a worse, clunkier version of similar third person games released even a decade ago?
Being completely functional and more precise of its Remake as a third person shooter?

MiguelItUp

utter horseshit and a stain on an otherwise great youtube resume
Couldn't agree more. I've always loved Crowbcat's videos, but this is pretty damn nitpicky and with a click-baity title to boot. What a disappointment. I mean, it's made sense with his other videos because those games were widely disappointing for a lot of obvious reasons. RE4R, not so much. If that's how he feels, hey, that's his opinion, but I think it's clear the majority don't agree.

I played RE4 religiously, so the differences and changes between the two I most certainly noticed. But in the end, I definitely think I prefer RE4R more. Minor changes, cuts, and all.

kunonabi

Im kind of shocked that people are this resistant to crowbcat's point when this was the obvious result as soon as this remake was announced. RE4 was a distinct new vision with everybody involved with it's creation committed to it for better or worse. The remake was always going to lose out in that department since the point was to bring that ridiculous over the top cheese in line with Capcom's current super standardized and safe take take on RE. Something was always going to get lost in that transition. Even as someone who hated the original and likes a lot of the improvements the remake implemented I still wouldn't say that it completely supplants the original by any stretch.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nah, they did my man Barry dirty in REmake. He just comes off as a total dick, his internal conflict is handled much better in the OG, bad voice acting and all.

Revelations 2 even shows as much. They went back to Barry's original character model and his personality/voice is 1996 Barry all day, no semblance to REMake Barry whatsoever.

I also think the tank controls are tighter in 1996 RE. They're more floaty in REmake.

Vick

Lol, come on dude. I said for my personal tastes. Good grief, it should not be that controversial of a take. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
And yet believe me, it is.

I can only assume you never properly compared the two versions or somehow failed to notice how drastically different they look, make you feel, and even play, because the amount of changes for the worse across the entire board is out of this world.

To me RE4 on PS2 isn't RE4.

fart town usa

Gold Member
And yet believe me, it is.

I can only assume you never properly compared the two versions or somehow failed to notice how drastically different they look, make you feel, and even play, because the amount of changes for the worse across the entire board is out of this world.

To me RE4 on PS2 isn't RE4.
I'm also someone who honestly never enjoyed RE4 that much. I won't deny it's a 10/10 masterpiece, etc. It 100% is, it's just never been a game that I actively want to play. I go through it every 5 years or so.

Last time I played through it was on PS2, never had before, and I just really dug the visuals. One of the reasons they jumped out so much is because I bought it out of curiosity because of all the negativity I'd heard over the years in regard to its visuals. Started playing it and was like, "I actually quite like the vibe of this..." Simple as that really.

Strategize

What's wrong with the OG controls?
Nothing, for the game that it is, the problem is the game that is sucks by todays standards. In 2005, a revelation, but it was a first draft for a reason. This ain't just a horror game like the first 3, moving like a tank isn't cool, fun or even tense anymore, and they know it aswell hence why they changed it even for the non-action titles like RE2.

kunonabi

Nah, they did my man Barry dirty in REmake. He just comes off as a total dick, his internal conflict is handled much better in the OG, bad voice acting and all.

Revelations 2 even shows as much. They went back to Barry's original character model and his personality/voice is 1996 Barry all day, no semblance to REMake Barry whatsoever.

I also think the tank controls are tighter in 1996 RE. They're more floaty in REmake.

Chris's personality also got completely removed in the remake.

Did you actually play the game besides the demo?
No. I plan on getting it when its much cheaper.

I dont claim to be an expert on the game, but I'm happy to finally see some diversity in content coverage that reflects my early opinions on the game. I literally was flipping back and forth to the original and playing the same sections to compare.

Vick

I'm also someone who honestly never enjoyed RE4 thatmuch. I won't deny it's a 10/10 masterpiece, etc. It 100% is, it's just never been a game that I actively want to play. I go through it every 5 years or so.
Last time I played through it was on PS2, never had before, and I just really dug the visuals. One of the reasons they jumped out so much is because I bought it out of curiosity because of all the negativity I'd heard over the years in regard to its visuals. Started playing it and was like, "I actually quite like the vibe of this..." Simple as that really.
I see, RE4 on the other hand is my gaming obsession, most replayed game of all time, and most involved with a game I've ever been thanks to close RE4 HD Project following for almost a decade.. meaning analyzing every single texture, light source and baked shadow of the entire game multiple times.

So believe me, OG GC is unquestionably the much superior experience. You can quickly see here some of the differences:

But there were also less enemies on PS2, and this makes a huge difference on Professional.

Saber

Gold Member
This is the reaction I was expecting people to have tbh.

Since the R4Remake was announced they already choose to dislike this game for the sake of sucking ball of the original.
And I'm not saying that is wrong to dislike this one. Just saying that since it was announced it was decided to be disliked by majority of RE4 fans.

Last edited:

Kappa

Great video. Soul for gamers just means good ambient noises and environments. Remake deff failed on that part.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No. I plan on getting it when its much cheaper.

I dont claim to be an expert on the game, but I'm happy to finally see some diversity in content coverage that reflects my early opinions on the game. I literally was flipping back and forth to the original and playing the same sections to compare.

So you haven't played it, hated the demo and am glad to see people shit on the game because it matches your opinions on... the demo. Not the final product.

That makes zero sense.

Great video. Soul for gamers just means good ambient noises and environments. Remake deff failed on that part.
Remake had fantastic environments and great audio design, what are you even talking about?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nothing, for the game that it is, the problem is the game that is sucks by todays standards. In 2005, a revelation, but it was a first draft for a reason. This ain't just a horror game like the first 3, moving like a tank isn't cool, fun or even tense anymore, and they know it aswell hence why they changed it even for the non-action titles like RE2.
Some people just don't have patience for the old controls. Below video is cued up, lmao.

I would rank the remakes:

RE3 >> RE4 > RE2 >> RE1

With that said, I hate the original RE3, love the original RE1, enjoy the original RE2, and love/hate different segments of RE4. This remake is very competent in its quality of life changes, but some changes in direction are dissappointing (looking at you defective knife collection, emo Ada, and Sancho-lover).

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I see, RE4 on the other hand is my gaming obsession, most replayed game of all time, and most involved with a game I've ever been thanks to close RE4 HD Project following for almost a decade.. meaning analyzing every single texture, light source and baked shadow of the entire game multiple times.

So believe me, OG GC is unquestionably the much superior experience. You can quickly see here some of the differences:

But there were also less enemies on PS2, and this makes a huge difference on Professional.

Oh for sure, I won't deny that OG GCN is superior to PS2. I had no idea about less enemies on PS2, that's a bit of a bummer.

Good back and forth bruh.

So you haven't played it, hated the demo and am glad to see people shit on the game because it matches your opinions on... the demo. Not the final product.

That makes zero sense.
What is shitting except for the title? Its just comparison clips.

And I never claimed to play the whole game. I played the village section. That was enough for me to see the changes in controls, enemy reaction, lighting and art design. I played that original demo on GameCube like 100x. Of course I'm happy to see someone compile extensive comparison clips because I was literally trying to do this with my hdmi channels at home.

I still intend to buy thr remake but my initial impressions were pretty poor. I've kept quiet about it while everyone else discussed how perfect it is. This thread finally speaks to my experience so far. Of course that may change when I play the full game. Im still allowed to talk about it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What is shitting except for the title? Its just comparison clips.

And I never claimed to play the whole game. I played the village section. That was enough for me to see the changes in controls, enemy reaction, lighting and art design. I played that original demo on GameCube like 100x. Of course I'm happy to see someone compile extensive comparison clips because I was literally trying to do this with my hdmi channels at home.

I still intend to buy thr remake but my initial impressions were pretty poor. I've kept quiet about it while everyone else discussed how perfect it is. This thread finally speaks to my experience so far. Of course that may change when I play the full game. Im still allowed to talk about it.
Uh Huh Sure GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
Chris's personality also got completely removed in the remake.
You know, I've played OG RE hundreds of times but I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've played as Chris.

Been trying to play as him more though and explore different routes to trigger optional scenes. Doesn't deal directly with Chris's personality but I realized there's a way to first meet Rebecca when you encounter Richard. I go that route now cause it makes Rebecca seem that much more confident/capable vs spraying you with bug spray the first time you meet her, lol. I'm honestly not sure if I've ever done a full Chris run in REmake. Barry and Jill combo just draws me in like a magnet.

kunonabi

You know, I've played OG RE hundreds of times but I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've played as Chris.

Been trying to play as him more though and explore different routes to trigger optional scenes. Doesn't deal directly with Chris's personality but I realized there's a way to first meet Rebecca when you encounter Richard. I go that route now cause it makes Rebecca seem that much more confident/capable vs spraying you with bug spray the first time you meet her, lol. I'm honestly not sure if I've ever done a full Chris run in REmake. Barry and Jill combo just draws me in like a magnet.

One of the best bits with Chris is the computer in the lab. Jill touch types and has a more subdued reaction when she gets the code wrong. Chris on the otherhand chicken pecks at the keys, I mean he can't do anything else so why should be able to type, and slams his fist on keyboard when he screws up.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I would rank the remakes:

RE3 >> RE4 > RE2 >> RE1

With that said, I hate the original RE3, love the original RE1, enjoy the original RE2, and love/hate different segments of RE4. This remake is very competent in its quality of life changes, but some changes in direction are dissappointing (looking at you defective knife collection, emo Ada, and Sancho-lover).
I applaud you immensely for having such a drastically different ranking from most RE fans.

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Top Bottom