• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRT: Ok to set contrast all the way up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akira

Can high contrast shorten the life of a CRT monitor? My monitor before this one had low contrast/brightness and I had it for so long I couldn't remember whether it was like that when I bought it or because the CRT was crapping out. Is it smart to set the contrast all the way up?

NOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't crank the contrast up! Not only does it looke absolutely hideous, but yes, it can seriously shorten the life of your monitor/TV.

Akira

bune duggy: Burn in is possible on CRT monitors? Are you sure you didn't misread CRT monitor as rear projection screens? Or maybe I'm thinking you misread because I've only heard of Digital Video Essentials being applied to home theater systems, not computer monitors.

Anyway, I've set the contrast back to the halfway mark. Error's emphatic "no" made me do it.

I am sure that high contrast on any CRT anything will cause burn in. CRT = television as well.

Electronic television is based on the development of the cathode ray tube - CRT - which is the picture tube found in modern television sets. - http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcathoderaytube.htm

It is possible to use DVE with a monitor, though it's a little more difficult than using it in your home theater. There is however a special program developed by the Imaging Science Foundation that will let you calibrate your monitor. It costs upwards of $400 though, so I'd go with DVE. :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
contrast = 100% brightness = set to however you like.

Oh yeah kiddies, i've had a computer monitor since 1989 and it's still working till this day (too bad it only does 640x480 because it's got damn good picture quality)

gblues

Banned
Oh please. Setting the contrast to 100% is not going to jack your monitor. In fact, if you do any professional work that requires you to calibrate your monitor for color management, the FIRST STEP is to turn the contrast to 100% and then adjust the brightness until you get a nice bright white while still being able to see deep grays.

Do you think fricken Adobe is going to tell you to do something that might damage your monitor without some kind of warning (which there isn't)?

Nathan

Uhh, yeah, I think we realize that contrast = white level, and brightness = black level (you did know that, didn't you?), but the problem is that with the contrast jacked all the way up, on virtually all monitors, it will cause damage. Most monitors and TVs don't have an adequete power supply to maintain a high contrast level, so you will get geometric distortions as well. And yes, I calibrate all my monitors and TVs, and I've never had the contrast setting need to be over 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom