• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Culdcept Revolt |OT| Heart of the Cards

fatpathy

Neo Member
Any idea if this will release on Xbox at any point or if the original is going to be BC? I loved playing the original on my 360 back in the day and really wanna get back into but don't see playing it on my 3DS.

Vamphuntr

Made it to the third chapter where things start to get real and pretty much all modes are now unlocked. I'm having fun so far and it's obvious they've added the card packs mechanics and changed the progression to prevent people from farming all the cards against the AI in custom matches.

Any idea if this will release on Xbox at any point or if the original is going to be BC? I loved playing the original on my 360 back in the day and really wanna get back into but don't see playing it on my 3DS.

The original is on the PSX in Japan only. Then we got the PS2 game in the west followed by the 360 game. This is second 3DS game actually but the other one didn't leave Japan.

shaowebb

The original is on the PSX in Japan only. Then we got the PS2 game in the west followed by the 360 game. This is second 3DS game actually but the other one didn't leave Japan.

Great summary. Fun Fact. If you want to play the japan only Culdcept DS (which was a special remake of the saturn original but with new cards) or Culdcept 3ds (which is a special remake of the PS2 one that was localized but with new cards) the game has its Card Lists and menus FULLY TRANSLATED on CuldceptCentral.com

I have played every title in the series by simply putting the card lists up on my phone and playing the japanese games. Since the cards are announced in English and are so easy to spot you can easily just look at a red card you dont know, scroll to red cards, and spot the one you're curious about to find out what it does. Its not like Culdcept is a rapid fire game so you got all the time in the world to double check if you dont remember a card. Navigating the menu is a breeze and is not confusing even with no knowledge of the language.

Also just for Culdcept DS if you go to etsy there is a guy selling bootleg carts with an english PATCH for Culdcept DS installed that will play on a DS Lite. If you still got a DS lite it'll read the cart and you can play that particular title in english that way. Beats buying a japanese 3ds like I did to play Culdcept DS. I got one of these carts and a DS lite and its great.

Enjoy Culdcept Revolt everyone! I've played them all and I've played this one for awhile since it hit Japan. The game is fantastic and as always if you want matches or need resources or info CuldceptCentral.Com has the complete information on every game ever made in the series including Revolt.

ENJOY THE COMPLETE CULDCEPT REVOLT CARDLIST
enjoy some card art too said:
1xFb4fH.jpg
cUbRgSZ.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Breaks this old man’s heart this game is coming so late in the 3DS’ life and is overshadowed by the Switch games.

Culdcept isn’t getting enough love here. It’s a fucking FANTASTIC game.

My stupid Amazon LE order was delayed til the 18 and all they said was “let us know if you don’t get it by then” so I canceled and just got a regular version.

I guess I could’ve swapped the regular edition in the LE and return that to the store, but that’s too much trouble for now.

Can’t wait to get home and play this sucker!

Aselith

I just opened my LE and yeah...that thing is great. High quality top to bottom. The foil cards come in a paper envelope and even the damn paper envelope feels high quality lol. Nice thick paper with a nice grain to it.

And those dice are exxxtra thicc

Gorgeous. NISA knocked it out of the park.

shaowebb

I just opened my LE and yeah...that thing is great. High quality top to bottom. The foil cards come in a paper envelope and even the damn paper envelope feels high quality lol. Nice thick paper with a nice grain to it.

And those dice are exxxtra thicc

Gorgeous. NISA knocked it out of the park.
Lewd.
I like it :D

Oh wow! Totally under my radar... I didn't even know this was a thing that would exist. The 360 version was really cool, this seems like a great game to take with me on 3DS when I travel!

galvatron

Ugh, looks like I won't get the game until Thursday because of UPS missorting it after I requested it get shipped to a UPS store.

OuterLimits

Breaks this old man’s heart this game is coming so late in the 3DS’ life and is overshadowed by the Switch games.

Culdcept isn’t getting enough love here. It’s a fucking FANTASTIC game.

My stupid Amazon LE order was delayed til the 18 and all they said was “let us know if you don’t get it by then” so I canceled and just got a regular version.

I guess I could’ve swapped the regular edition in the LE and return that to the store, but that’s too much trouble for now.

Can’t wait to get home and play this sucker!

I kind of agree, although it probably wouldn't have sold amazing numbers even a couple years ago. Atlus has quite a few games still coming as well, which will likely face a similar fate. Some not arriving until next year which will be a full year after the Switch launch. It's hard to include many 3DS games in my budget now, although I'm tempted to buy many of the upcoming ones.

zenspider

...Culdcept isn’t getting enough love here. It’s a fucking FANTASTIC game.

NeoGAF champions a lot of obscure gems - I am a bit shocked Culdcept is a sleeper on here as well.

Sorry about your LE man! I won't tell you how nice it is.

Anybody far enough in to know if there is any significant difference between starting books? It says it doesn't matter much but still.

I got the LE in the mail today and was super impressed just by the outer box. Not even Amazon's shitty bubble mailer ruined it! I'm half-tempted to download the game and just leave the LE sealed. I probably won't be playing it for a while with everything else in the backlog.

Pepboy

Yeah, the text is fine. Very easily legible

the font in the first post is not final. the font in the recent trailers is.

Played several hours on old 3ds XL, no problems with font at all for me. Maybe if you have original 3ds or old 2ds, it could be an issue. There's not THAT much dialogue text to read anyways, the cards also mostly have keywords (plus you get to know them pretty quick).

I'm intrigued by Culdcept. I have to say, though, that I've never played the series... and I'm hesitant to plunk down $39.99 USD.

Some barriers of entry for me, aside from the price (which really isn't a barrier, as it's the normal price of 3DS games released at retail):

1) 3DS. I had to put down Monster Hunter: Stories despite being a big Monster Hunter fan because I couldn't get past playing it on the 3DS.

2) Overwhelming. I'm unsure about the complexity here. If it is complex, which is fine, is it worth learning for a very niche game that likely won't have a sustainable online base?

3) Art style. Can't really get behind the abs-main dude.

1 - completely fair and can't help you here but graphics seem fine for the type of game. Personally I love seeing the cards do combat directly.

2 - after several hours of play I can safely say the complexity is not overwhelming. They start you off with a series of tutorials that are pretty gentle. Then once you get into the game proper, there is this "tutorial cursor" that basically suggests at any moment what the AI thinks you can do. This tutorial cursor is 100% optional and can be turned on and off midgame easily. The tutorial cursor suggestions are also really quite good! Several times I caught myself thinking "huh? Why does it want me to play this card" only to realize it was suggesting a really strong combo or something else I didn't notice. I am pretty sure if you just do what the cursor says, you'd probably beat most of the early to mid singleplayer with just the beginning deck.

The game is more intricate than monopoly by far, but generally less complex than something like Yugioh or even hearthstone. I guess it could be simplified to "Monopoly but you can adjust dice rolls of you and enemies, and where your hotels can attack other spots with a bunch of various adjustments, where rather than paying the fee you can try to beat the enemy hotels."

That description might make it sound boring but the devil is in the details. The combat is really refined and just a blast to try new decks.

3 -- in dialogue you don't see his abs (screen cuts them off). About 5% of the game is looking at characters talking.

NISA games do generally go on sale but I'm not as sure about 3DS games. Especially with the likely small playerbase, I think multiplayer (I think there is online multiplayer?) scene will be most active the next few weeks/months.

Edit: you can also hit start at any time for contextualized help on what you need to do. Its pretty great for new players without being too handholdy.

Ventara

Got my LE today and it's pretty nice. Wish more LEs had this kind of outer box rather than the usual flimsy cardboard that caves in on itself. The dice are nice and a bit heavy causing them to roll less, and the cards are almost postcard size and only have the monster pictures on them (no monster name or description; just the name of the illustrator), which is fine since the art is good. Just flipped through the artbook since I don't want to spoil myself, but it seems to be just character profiles, and the physical soundtrack is nice, though I'll save listening to the music for the first time for the game.

Pretty excited to play this, though sadly I'll have to push this off. Still finishing Ys 8, and then it's off to Stardew Valley for me. Even after that, I want to finish off Shadow Tactics that I started last month and play Gravity Rush 2 before the servers close. Haven't even had a chance to open Lost Legacy and Yakuza Kiwami, and that's not counting upcoming games like Layton's Mystery Journal, Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. There are too many good games coming out, lol. I love it! Anyways, hopefully I can finish this before Alliance Alive hits next year.

BTA

But if you preorder LE on amazon I think it should be $48 (60-0.2*60). So wouldn't it be like $16 saved? Maybe a little more with tax.

Personally I can't wait for them to drop the digital version... It's still showing up on eshop as coming soon.

LEs don't get the discount anymore, unfortunately. It really sucks though it's now saved me some money by making me think twice about just getting them by default.

Sorry for double post but I just found out there is free DLC (a free bonus stage) if you register by email in the next 2 hours:

nisamerica.com/games/culdcept-revolt/free-dlc/

Maybe its already in the LE, I have no idea.

I think the fact that this offer ends at 10 am PDT means the game will likely launch on eshop at that time (so about 1 pm est). For those of you like me waiting for the digital version.

Whoooops I knew about this for weeks and even like a week ago suddenly looked it up again because I knew a game out soon had some preregistration DLC.

I never actually signed up for it despite that because I put it off even after looking it up. Don't know why I did that to myself instead of just going for it, though I guess it's minor anyway.

Kinu Nishimura, who was indeed the artist for 999 and VLR.

Oooooh, rad! That'll help sell friends too, hah.

Ventara

Shit, didn't know there was a free DLC sign-ups. Why can't they just leave it for a week more after launch or something? Not everyone keeps up with a game before release. :(

JPS Kai

I was hoping to review this but I hit a skill wall super early on (first boss of chapter 3). Just not building the right deck to get board control away from those damn
mummies of his.

Aselith

The tutorialization is a little much. In my first live match and this chick will not shut the hell up including about things I just went through tutorials for... :(

Its told me twice now to hit the Home button to view the manual. Alright, fellas, I get it

Pepboy

LEs don't get the discount anymore, unfortunately. It really sucks though it's now saved me some money by making me think twice about just getting them by default.

Whoooops I knew about this for weeks and even like a week ago suddenly looked it up again because I knew a game out soon had some preregistration DLC.

I never actually signed up for it despite that because I put it off even after looking it up. Don't know why I did that to myself instead of just going for it, though I guess it's minor anyway.

Oooooh, rad! That'll help sell friends too, hah.

Ahhh sorry! Didn't realize LE dont get 20% off. Thats good info to have for future.

Shit, didn't know there was a free DLC sign-ups. Why can't they just leave it for a week more after launch or something? Not everyone keeps up with a game before release. :(

If it's any consolation, I signed up but still haven't gotten the code. Plus there is so much content I doubt most people would even get to the extra stage.

I was hoping to review this but I hit a skill wall super early on (first boss of chapter 3). Just not building the right deck to get board control away from those damn
mummies of his.

I'll try to remember to return once I get to that point -- but this is something I love about the game. It's not always just about having the strongest cards.

The tutorialization is a little much. In my first live match and this chick will not shut the hell up including about things I just went through tutorials for... :(

Its told me twice now to hit the Home button to view the manual. Alright, fellas, I get it

Fortunately after that it stops. But keep in mind under options you can also speed up AI turns and turn off hints, turn off tutorial cursor, turn off card pause, etc.

Pepboy

mummies of his.

Okay so I just beat the first board on chapter 3. My advice below:

Don't aim for board control on this stage. Since every mummy killed gives him quite a lot of money, just pay the toll.
Instead focus on your own economy. Maybe get rid of all green cards and focus on red/blue/yellow. Also don't underestimate the value of upgrading land or converting land to get bigger "chains". A level 3 or 4 land brings in a LOT more value than the actual cost, which gets you to 8000 faster. The multicolor spaces don't contribute to "chains", but chains are crucial to get multipliers. They increase both tolls and, more importantly, value. So go ahead and spend the money to convert to your preferred color. At this stage of the game, tolls don't actually do much it seems -- because there are only two players on a small board, it becomes more about investing in your lands faster. Focusing too much on board control also means you may be underinvesting in your own plots (as you can either do a territory move or plop down a monster and not both). I'm not trying to brag but with the default blue and yellow deck (with 2-3 minor changes) I was able to overcome Nighthawk 8900 vs 3600, so it's definitely doable with basic decks.

Pepboy

Picked up my LE yesterday. Won't get to play until the weekend tho :(

I was lucky enough to have a day off. Based on 5 hours of play I think you'll find it was worth the wait. I'm loving the gameplay changes and the story also seems pretty interesting. I'm actually curious where they take it.

zenspider

Why are no LE owners talking about the INSIDE of the box? Kudos to the designers, this thing is gorgeous. Looking forward to listening to the CD on my way to work.

For those on the fence, this is the easiest Culdcept to get into (I've played the PS2 release and Saga). The tutorial is quick, painless, and wholly necessary. The UI is really nice and whole experience is snappy and well done.

I hope I can get my chops up and go online while there's still a player base, and I hope some neophyte cepters join the fray as well. This game is so addictive!

shaowebb

So did you guys go with the blue/yellow starter book or the red/green? Im a longtime full color deck user but I tend to rock blue due to a history of things like kelpie back on the ps2, aspidochelone in saga and Sir Gawain stuff. In general I just tend to power with blue emphasis in my decks so I went blue/yellow to start again.

Pepboy

Why are no LE owners talking about the INSIDE of the box? Kudos to the designers, this thing is gorgeous. Looking forward to listening to the CD on my way to work.

For those on the fence, this is the easiest Culdcept to get into (I've played the PS2 release and Saga). The tutorial is quick, painless, and wholly necessary. The UI is really nice and whole experience is snappy and well done.

I hope I can get my chops up and go online while there's still a player base, and I hope some neophyte cepters join the fray as well. This game is so addictive!

I agree, I hope we can get a bit of a CuldceptGAF community going for online play. I'm also happy to play with new players online. I am happy to use the starter book with no changes.

So did you guys go with the blue/yellow starter book or the red/green? Im a longtime full color deck user but I tend to rock blue due to a history of things like kelpie back on the ps2, aspidochelone in saga and Sir Gawain stuff. In general I just tend to power with blue emphasis in my decks so I went blue/yellow to start again.

I went with blue yellow as well. I just thought that if the tutorial was slow, it'd be nice to explore a more intricate deck. But given how fast we can get new cards and the overlapping commons, I think they are correct in saying it doesn't really matter. :)

BTA

Thank you so much!

I have a spare NA code for anyone who missed it.

Could I please have it?

I was actually going to PM you last night to see if you had one after you posted about being confused about the EU codes and I saw the EU site was up, hah.

Should I be saving my gold up? I’ve been spending it all on the $1500 card packs to try and beef up my library. I’m wondering if better card packs unlock later on.

shaowebb

I've just had an undine kill itself on accident.

lol. I did that once or twice on the PS2. I completely lost track of how many blue monsters I had after I placed it on the board and I tried to invade (or got invaded...cant remember) then when it tried to calculate its health bonus it multiplied is own health by 0 and died. HP = to number of blue creatures x 20 can backfire if you lose track of your stuff.

Dont worry. Everyone does it at least once lol.

Pepboy

I've just had an undine kill itself on accident.

I love moments like these where it makes you go "ooooohhhh yeah... Forgot that would happen"

Should I be saving my gold up? I’ve been spending it all on the $1500 card packs to try and beef up my library. I’m wondering if better card packs unlock later on.

Not sure what's most efficient but I've been spending as I earn. Its just too fun to resist, plus then I can slowly evolve and test my deck.

koma

I'm still waiting for Amazon Italy to ship my copy pre-ordered months ago, but it seems they still don't know when it will be available.. i'm sad :( I may wait a bit more (it was a lot cheaper on Amazon) but if they will not have the game soon i'll just buy it somewhere else..

Regiruler

Any must haves for a Triton item deck? Getting the water/wind/other ratio is a bit weird.

I'd kill for a good equip with a discard cost.

Banjoman

I'm still waiting for Amazon Italy to ship my copy pre-ordered months ago, but it seems they still don't know when it will be available.. i'm sad :( I may wait a bit more (it was a lot cheaper on Amazon) but if they will not have the game soon i'll just buy it somewhere else..
I was looking for the game this week but I coudn't even find any pre-order on amazon.it.
I have no idea where to buy it in Italy.

Ripenen

Not too far into the game yet but so far it seems that combat is less frequent than in previous games. I'm not getting lots of Gain from tolls. Seems it's all coming from leveling territories and lap bonuses.

jay

I can assure you, as someone who played every title since this game series was first made including the japanesr only ds and 3ds releases you are mistaken. Ive played revolt since its japanese release in july and these changes are fantastic. You dont abuse territory usage due to sit and stand limiting things but it allows for enough more territory usage to implement your deck tactics more easily. You dont end up super rich because you use the increase in gold to fuel defending and invading territories more. Plus you dont struggle to defend or invade because you get more opportunities to use cards due to the hand size increase and moving of the discard phase till later.The increase in card usage eats the extra gold till it balances out your income to about normal for culdcept each lap.

Trust me since ive played this title for months and know this title and its pacing from every version made before now. From the sketchy selective defense of the saturn title to the kelpie old willow dominance and elemental shield power of the ps2 and beyond. You simply get to do more culdcept stuff with less of a wait first. Nothing got super aggressive or overly defensive in play. They balanced the new perks very well so no aspect of the game accidently grew dominant. It just feels faster to do what you enjoy is all.

That sounds good but I'm getting the game whatever the case. Can we at least agree the art is terrible and long for the era of the first two games' art?

Top Bottom