• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Rebirth | February 6 State of Play | OT | Tifa got Bazookas

Will you watch the State of Play?

• Yes!

Votes: 65 61.9%
  • No, i don't want to spopil myself

Votes: 40 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheAssist

Nice to see all the positivity in here. I haven't watched or played it, I will hold out till release, because I couldn't stand to wait this long after having tasted it xD. I am weak.

edit: Is the 4 minute trailer really that spoilery? Kinda hoped I could at least watch that.

Last edited:

SCB3

The last game quickly became my Game of the Year on its release, the original is in my top 10 of all time so of course I'm all in, it looks fantastic and builds up on the amazing first part from what it seems

I downloaded the demo this morning but cannot decide if I want to play it now after watching the Showcase or just wait a couple of weeks and go in fresh (plus I still have Like a Dragon to finish)

I just realized the final shot in the trailer is Cloud trying to block Sephiroth from stabbing Aerith. Omg
I personally believe the twist would be that
her dying the 1st time actually thwarted Sephirth's plans in the original game. And thus, if Sephiroth is self-aware and from the original world, he might stop himself from killing her. This would then throw the entire story in a new direction.

In any case we already had a FF10 where the heroine decided dying for the sake of destiny is bullshit. We knew why she died, we knew why she had to die. But this is now and not then.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

I personally believe the twist would be that...

Pretty good idea! They are playing with timelines so much in this trilogy, I wouldn't be at all shocked if they went in a direction like this.

Game looks very good. Real nostalgia kick. Can't wait to get into it.

Last edited:
This is the only game that can steal Dragon's Dogma 2 as my personal 2024 GOTY. I'm hella nostalgic for everything FF7 and the whole presentation was immaculate. I wish learned to do showcases like this from Square because their marketing is generally lacking.

Insane hyperbole over the image quality on Performance Mode... It looks fine and runs almost flawlessly. Definitely a step up from FF XVI.
Half of GAF are graphics whores, so don't let their hot takes bother you. I haven't played the demo on my OLED TV, but I did try it on my PS Portal, and it looks and runs great in performance mode. Will play the rest of it later today after work.

Go_Ly_Dow

Normal OST

GFuBBKlbcAAezCm

Special OST

GFuBAIQbIAAd32E

It looks hawt.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Half of GAF are graphics whores, so don't let their hot takes bother you. I haven't played the demo on my OLED TV, but I did try it on my PS Portal, and it looks and runs great in performance mode. Will play the rest of it later today after work.
The performance mode is blurry as hell. One of the worst cases I've seen in a while.
Wait to playing it in your OLED. You'll see.

TrebleShot

Yeah very soft in perf mode, on OLED as well you kind of get used to it. Id rather it was soft and consistent than bastardized with upscaling.

4k mode doesn't look native to me, its definitely using some aggressive upscaling to get to 4k.

Looks incredible in the Graphics mode, the 30 mode isnt too bad to play, but its definitely a long way away from the smoothness of the 60fps.

tempting to just get it and play in the 30 mode.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same shit happened with Elden Ring, Resident Evil 4 Remake and now with Rebirth…..once the game comes and people start enjoying the actual game then all this graphic whore whining becomes pointless and waste of time.……we go through same shit every time…
war-dogs-war-dogs-movie.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I'm going to try performance a little later today but graphics mode at least is leaps and bounds beyond most games in terms of graphics. I can't imagine performance being that much of a difference.

keefged4

"Not available on other formats until at least 05/29/2024" Under normal circumstances I'd wait on the PC release, but we all know they will most likely disappoint and make it exclusive to the EGS for another year.

Will be there after 29th of May. And after it's not 80€, Square, you greedy pieces of shit.

"Not available on other formats until at least 05/29/2024" Under normal circumstances I'd wait on the PC release, but we all know they will most likely disappoint and make it exclusive to the EGS for another year.
Damn, you are right keefged4 keefged4 . Didn't think about the EGS shit.

Last edited:

tommib

Spider-Man 2 in many other years would be GOTY

Truth is, there's not much this year really. So I could see it.
I know these are just opinions but SM2, man. What a load of formulaic repetitive combat arenas with no style that crap game is. I finished Cocoon yesterday. 5 hours that show more genius, visual style and ideas that in the whole of the SM2 bloated mess. SM2 just has a lot of money thrown at it. That recipe is starting to go sour.

BTW, FF16 is an infinitely better game than SM2.

Last edited:

saintjules

Regarding where the demo ended. Open if you played OG FF7.

So if you complete the Nibelheim flashback in the demo you can skip it once you get the full game. But in the original there was more to the flashback with Tifa going to the reactor to get revenge on her Father (where he died has changed it seems).

Are they reserving her getting slashed by Sephiroth later in the game? Because after that Sephiroth goes into Jenova's Chamber and Cloud follows him in there for what was a fight we didn't end up seeing. Or if it actually existed due to Cloud's memory.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I know these are just opinions but SM2, man. What a load of formulaic repetitive combat arenas with no style that crap game is. I finished Cocoon yesterday. 5 hours that show more genius, visual style and ideas that in the whole of the SM2 bloated mess. SM2 just has a lot of money thrown at it. That recipe is starting to go sour.

I'm playing Spider-Man remastered, and you just described how that game feels to play.
So much of it is just arenas with wave after wave of the same enemies. The side missions are terribly boring.
And the puzzles with pipes are even worse. At least there is an option to skip these.

I'm not sure I'll manage to finish Spider-Man Remastered. But I'm sure I won't be playing Miles Morales, nor SM2.

I'm playing Spider-Man remastered, and you just described how that game feels to play.
So much of it is just arenas with wave after wave of the same enemies. The side missions are terribly boring.
And the puzzles with pipes are even worse. At least there is an option to skip these.

I'm not sure I'll manage to finish Spider-Man Remastered. But I'm sure I won't be playing Miles Morales, nor SM2.
I really enjoyed Spiderman, but none of what you guys are saying rings hollow. It's all true, it's very repetitive. It's still a fun ride, at least for me, and I did play Miles because I wanted a bit more, but I have not jumped in on Spiderman 2. Waiting for a sale.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member

5XklPEJ.jpg

Interfectum

SM2 is fun but cringy as fuck.

Question: Do you like the idea of Peter Parker feeling bad about being a powerful straight white male and he willingly cuts his balls off and hands one to Miles and one to MJ? Does that sound appealing to you? If not, avoid.

Davesky

RpVFj1K.jpg
If you look at the map where the narrator describes each area you can see all of the section that was being covered by the gust of wind. More of the Northern Continent beyond Forgotton Capital seems accessible than I previously thought, some of the Antarctic area seems to be explorable.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member

Its strange how after years and years of japanese devs being" risk averse", as not to say goddam money counting managers more than artists and devs (everything Konami post 2010 comes to mind), and western devs pushing innovation in gaming (cd project red before cyberpunk first launch for exemple), it seems the last few years the trend seems to be reversing, with homerun after homerun from japanese devs and lots of souless western games (although with high production values).

Davesky

So how spoilery was the state of play?
I’d say 5/10 compared to Remake final trailer, maybe higher if there is sections of the world you want to experience for the first time again on your own. The state of play does include the new trailer in the first 4 minutes, so maybe skip that if your not wanting any majorish spoilers.

winjer

Gold Member
SM2 is fun but cringy as fuck.

Question: Do you like the idea of Peter Parker feeling bad about being a powerful straight white male and he willingly cuts his balls off and hands one to Miles and one to MJ? Does that sound appealing to you? If not, avoid.

I already dislike most of the characters in SM1, including Parker.
They are all so bland and sanitized. And lack depth, to the point of being caricatures of themselves.
And to make in more annoying, are the one liners punctuating every scene, even dramatic ones. Most of them are not funny, and most kill the little immersion the story has.
Considering what you said about SM2, that makes it much worse. So SM2 will be a hard pass for me.

Alebrije

I just played the original FF7 on Playstation , can someone explain why

Open only if You finished FF7 original :
Aeris is alive here? did they change the story on FF7 Remake[?/SPOILER]

Last edited:
Insane hyperbole over the image quality on Performance Mode... It looks fine and runs almost flawlessly. Definitely a step up from FF XVI.
Yep. Even compared to the western AAA productions plagued with bad IQs, streaming stutters all over the place etc, the demo was super smooth, with very good IQ, no loadings and highly polished.

Freeman76

The performance mode is blurry as hell. One of the worst cases I've seen in a while.
Wait to playing it in your OLED. You'll see.
it does look really bad on an OLED. Bad enough that I am willing to wait a bit longer for it and buy it on PC. This game will be incredible and I want to play it in the best way possible. I just hope they dont fuck up the PC port lol

I just played the original FF7 on Playstation , can someone explain why

Open only if You finished FF7 original :
Aeris is alive here? did they change the story on FF7 Remake[?/SPOILER]
They did and are changing the story, but to answer the question, they haven't gotten that far into the story yet.

Nonehxc

So much this. It's a very fun game, but it's just OG PS4 Spider-Man with more shit, mechanics and prettier graphics and technology on top. If you have played OG Spider-Man or Miles Morales, you will feel like it's a continuation of all that. I would say Miles Morales story is better.

I'm ready for Insomniac to use all that marvelous technology, top notch mechanics and playability and pretty as fuck graphics on a new IP that blow my undies into my ass, pretty please. 🙏🏻🥹🌬️🩲🍑

Opinions! You have one.

Congrats brother, I disagree

Bojji

Opinions! You have one.

Congrats brother, I disagree

I forced myself to finish SM1 Remaster, it was long, boring and repetitive. I completed MM too, I don't even know why I started it after previous game but it definitely was better, shorter and with more variety.

I think about buying SM2 from time to time but then I remember first game and don't like this idea any more, plus all this talk about even more woke nonsense in it doesn't help.

Top Bottom