• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult hits and collectable games for OG XBOX and 360?

Type_Raver

Never been an Xbox owner and never really considered them throughout the generations.

Recently, i saw Panzer Dragoon Orta on Xbox and it looked nice!
Id consider getting an OG Xbox (or 360 with backwards compatibility, is it any good?), but outside of that game, theres nothing that seems to interest me on it.

What are some of the cult hits and exclusives stuck on the xbox & 360 platforms?

Thanks

CherryFalls

Loons_-_The_Fight_for_Fame_Coverart.png

Naked Lunch

There are tons of great ones.
Here's a couple from a list I compiled a while back.

Outrun 2
Jet Set Radio Future
Ace Combat 6
Bangai-O Missile Fury
After Burner Climax
Fez
Bionic Commando Re-Armed 1
Bionic Commando [the non-remake 3d one]
Mushihimesama Futari
DOA Xtreme 1 and 2
Raiden Fighters Aces
Anarchy Reigns
Armored Core 4, 5, For Answer, Verdict Day
DaiSenryaku VII - Modern Military Tactics

Last edited:

anthony2690

Panzer Dragoon orta is wonderful, especially on Xbox one x onwards as you can play it in 4k and it looks beautiful still imo (+you can unlock the original panzer dragoon, it's much better than the forever entertainment remake)

Jet Set Radio Future
Crazy Taxi 3
Otogi 1+2
Lost odyssey
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Last edited:

Type_Raver

There are tons of great ones.
Here's a couple from a list I compiled a while back.

Outrun 2
Jet Set Radio Future
Ace Combat 6
Bangai-O Missile Fury
After Burner Climax
Fez
Bionic Commando Re-Armed 1
Bionic Commando [the non-remake 3d one]
Mushihimesama Futari
DOA Xtreme 1 and 2
Raiden Fighters Aces
Anarchy Reigns
Armored Core 4, 5, For Answer, Verdict Day
DaiSenryaku VII - Modern Military Tactics
That list is great, ill take my time and look into these.
This is what I was looking for, thank you.

Panzer Dragoon orta is wonderful, especially on Xbox one x onwards as you can play it in 4k and it looks beautiful still imo (+you can unlock the original panzer dragoon, it's much better than the forever entertainment remake)

Jet Set Radio Future
Crazy Taxi 3
Otogi 1+2
Lost odyssey
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Interesting, good to knew regarding newer xbox consoles and backwards compatibility.
The reason im looking at the older generation consoles is their ability to output analogue signals and use a CRT to play.

Roberts

Didn't play that much on OG Xbox except a few games that I really enjoyed on that beast of a machine:

- Countless hours of PGR 1 and 2 and I'm not even really into racing games.
- Halo 1 and 2
- LOTR: The third age was great
- Jade Empire - almost as good as Bioware's best games.

OG Xbox is such an amazing console even now games to get for it

Riddick
JSRF
SEGA GT 2002
House Of The Dead 3
O.TO.GI 1/2
Oddworld Stranger
Kung Fu Chaos (better than the PowerStones games)
BLiNX
Buffy
Crimson Skies
DOA: Beach Vollyball
Enclave
Galleon
Mech Assault 2

To name but a few. For the 360

Project Sylpheed
Ninja Blade
Virtua Tennis 4
Enclaved

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
An Xbox appreciation thread?

OGX was my Dreamcast 2 it was such a weird and wonderful console cuz everyone had Gamecubes and Playstations the exclusives legit felt exclusive cuz no one had even heard about them.(not a slight at Xbox)

jadeempire-1648708883294.jpg

• Jade Empire - Scholar Six Heavens follows the Way of the Closed Fist (This hits hard, so hard im honestly shocked theres no sequel or even spitual successor).
  • Jet Set Radio Future.
  • Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge - 40 dollar Reboot when?
  • MechAssault
  • Fuzion Frenzy - Get your buddies, 4 controllers, alot of tequila and this is still a blast.
  • Project Gotham Racing 2 - Honestly when this came out with a full 3d garage and a whole game ina game......my mind was blown(Might actually be my favorite irl racing game(burnout still takes the cake))
  • Otogi + Otogi 2
  • Phantom Crash - A weird mech fighter that I stumbled upon, really fun it aint AC but its still a good time.
  • Breakdown - definition of cult hit, didnt do well anywhere except in the cult of Breakdown.
  • Blinx: The Time Sweeper - Not its not as good as Mario but its a fun time, and the water physics still impress me to this day.
  • GunValkyrie
  • Bloodwake - Literally a Crimson Skies clone.......but boats.
  • Tenku
  • Tenku 2
  • RalliSport Challenge 2 - The fact theres no way to play this game legally other than on OG hardware is the weirdest thing to me, cuz this is one of the greatest racing games of all time?
  • SteelBattalion - Probably impossible or very very expensive to get nowadays.

Xbox 360 - Some cult hits, or atleast games I dont know many who have played them.

infinite-undiscovery-button-crop-1642830341877.jpg

• Infinite Undiscovery - How is one of Squares best games of the gen unknown?
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Blue Dragon
  • MagnaCarta 2 - I dont get how MS got all these RPGs
  • Ace Combat 6 - Seriously Ace Combat 6 is still an Xbox exclusive (We are clearly in the wrong reality)
  • Too Human - Everyone needs to experience this game......when you do youll understand why.
  • ChromeHounds - I dunno if the servers are still working for this.
  • Culdcept Saga
  • Naruto Rise of a Ninja - The best Naruto action adventure game bar none.
  • Naurto The Broken Bond - Sorry I meant this is the best Naruto action adventure game.
  • Beni No Umi - An obscure hack and slash game but good for its time.

Going to shout out another couple that were missed from the OG Xbox:

- Conker Live & Reloaded

- Ninja Gaiden Black

Yes, I know Ninja Gaiden Sigma exists on many platforms. There were many differences and many consider Black to be the superior version of the game (gameplay and balance). Black has never been re-released, and I imagine it may be sought after by fans of the series.

Type_Raver

An Xbox appreciation thread?

OGX was my Dreamcast 2 it was such a weird and wonderful console cuz everyone had Gamecubes and Playstations the exclusives legit felt exclusive cuz no one had even heard about them.(not a slight at Xbox)

jadeempire-1648708883294.jpg

• Jade Empire - Scholar Six Heavens follows the Way of the Closed Fist (This hits hard, so hard im honestly shocked theres no sequel or even spitual successor).
  • Jet Set Radio Future.
  • Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge - 40 dollar Reboot when?
  • MechAssault
  • Fuzion Frenzy - Get your buddies, 4 controllers, alot of tequila and this is still a blast.
  • Project Gotham Racing 2 - Honestly when this came out with a full 3d garage and a whole game ina game......my mind was blown(Might actually be my favorite irl racing game(burnout still takes the cake))
  • Otogi + Otogi 2
  • Phantom Crash - A weird mech fighter that I stumbled upon, really fun it aint AC but its still a good time.
  • Breakdown - definition of cult hit, didnt do well anywhere except in the cult of Breakdown.
  • Blinx: The Time Sweeper - Not its not as good as Mario but its a fun time, and the water physics still impress me to this day.
  • GunValkyrie
  • Bloodwake - Literally a Crimson Skies clone.......but boats.
  • Tenku
  • Tenku 2
  • RalliSport Challenge 2 - The fact theres no way to play this game legally other than on OG hardware is the weirdest thing to me, cuz this is one of the greatest racing games of all time?
  • SteelBattalion - Probably impossible or very very expensive to get nowadays.

Xbox 360 - Some cult hits, or atleast games I dont know many who have played them.

infinite-undiscovery-button-crop-1642830341877.jpg

• Infinite Undiscovery - How is one of Squares best games of the gen unknown?
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Blue Dragon
  • MagnaCarta 2 - I dont get how MS got all these RPGs
  • Ace Combat 6 - Seriously Ace Combat 6 is still an Xbox exclusive (We are clearly in the wrong reality)
  • Too Human - Everyone needs to experience this game......when you do youll understand why.
  • ChromeHounds - I dunno if the servers are still working for this.
  • Culdcept Saga
  • Naruto Rise of a Ninja - The best Naruto action adventure game bar none.
  • Naurto The Broken Bond - Sorry I meant this is the best Naruto action adventure game.
  • Beni No Umi - An obscure hack and slash game but good for its time.
Too Human, i remember that back in the day wishing and hoping it would come to Gamecube.
Definitely one for the list!

Not sure about some of you, but did you also share the feeling that you wish that the gamecube got the 3rd party support xbox did?

Mercador

Definitely Culdcept Saga, I keep that disk as long there's a new one. I wonder if we ever see a follow up. Chromehouds as well, I wonder why I sold that one, not my best move. 15 years ago, I sold 91 Xbox games at EbGames for 124$, I can't believe I did that.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Going to shout out another couple that were missed from the OG Xbox:

- Conker Live & Reloaded

- Ninja Gaiden Black

Yes, I know Ninja Gaiden Sigma exists on many platforms. There were many differences and many consider Black to be the superior version of the game (gameplay and balance). Black has never been re-released, and I imagine it may be sought after by fans of the series.
Ninja Gaiden is like, a game you buy a console for.

Personally my favorite game ever so yeah, I'm biased eheh

Mechassault 1 and 2 on XBOX are a MUST play, some of my favorite games of that generation.

Xbox
Armed and Dangerous
Buffy the vampire slayer
Crimson skies
Jade Empire
Brute force
Ninja Gaiden black
Jet set radio future

Blue Dragon
Lost odyssey
Crackdown 1
Halo wars 1
Naruto rise of a ninja
Fable 2

Don't let the current state of Xbox cloud your judgement of what they used to be, the XBOX and 360 were great consoles that are absolutely worth owning.

eNT1TY

Some great posts here.

Was looking up Steel Battalion, that came with an insane controller!

til-that-the-controller-which-was-included-with-the-xbox-v0-sBbXIaDMRXBuiv05C0yKHavdl8hfBIUzFuKx3JbvGfQ.jpg
I couldn't get passed like mission 14, such a brutal game; possibly the hardest i have ever played. The controller on mine came with blue buttons instead of green though.

Drew1440

Xbox:
Quantum Redshift - Wipeout-like racing game
Apex or Racing Evoluzione - Arcade racing game
Dead Or Alive 3 - Puts Tekken 4 to shame
Brute Force
Crazy Taxi 3
Unreal Championship 2 - Now online with Insignia
Midtown Madness 3
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Def Jam Fight for NY - Best version of the game
Burnout 3 - Best port of the game
Midnight Club 2&3 - Best port

Xbox 360:
Ridge Racer 6 (Unless you have R7 on the PS3)
Perfect Dark Zero
Project Gotham Racing 3&4
Saint's Row (2006, not to be confused with that horrid reboot)
The Outfit
Gears Of War Judgement (Wasn't as well received as the main trilogy, but still good co-op fun)
Full Auto - Combat racing game
Burnout Revenge - Best port of the game

Miles708

5525015-breakdown-xbox-front-cover.png

Breakdown (Namco)

The game that inspired Mirror's Edge, a totally first person mix of beat-em up, platform and FPS, in a cool sci-fi story.
It's very very linear and at times very frustrating but i LOVE this game.

Top Bottom