• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CyberConnect2 president expressed his opinion after learning only 10% of game development students has PS5

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
CyberConnect2 president held questionnaire to his students while he gives public talk in schools, to see where do they play on.

switch=90%
Smartphone = 100%
PS4=70%
PS5 = 10%
Xbox = 1%
Steam = 80%

In the series of tweet he expressed his opinion that the students are not doing enough to prepare themselves (by buying the latest high end consoles) to join the game industry.

Google translate below
Recently, before giving lectures at game-related vocational schools and universities all over the country, I make sure to ask students about it.

"What game machine do you have?"

switch=90%
Smartphone = 100%
PS4=70%
PS5 = 10%
Xbox = 1%

Every time I see these results, I realize that "first of all, I haven't even made the minimum preparations to aim for the game industry."
Do you intend to say, "I'm going to study from now on," when I worked hard to create a work, applied, got a job at a game company, and was assigned to a team that was developing games for next-generation consoles?

People who don't know the latest services can't make the latest game software.

Why do you think that "it's all right"?
Well, I understand that it was difficult to buy the latest game consoles such as PS5 due to the impact of the corona disaster over the past few years, but that doesn't mean it can't be helped.

This is because the gap between students who have already acquired and played with the game is widening.

Oh, and there was another important piece of data.

About Steam.
When I took the questionnaire, the current status of the students playing Steam was as follows.

Steam=80%

Even if you don't bother to buy a dedicated game machine, this is enough! It may be thought.

Then when will you play FF16?

After the Steam version is released, play slowly?

Hmm, I see.
It may be a harsh opinion, but I can't help but think that people with such a "slow sense" are not enough people to fight at the forefront of the game industry.

"Huh? I work hard at a game company, but I don't have a PS5, do I?"

Please feel free to live like that.

Last edited:
What a stupid approach. This sounds like PS5 games are substantially different from PS4 ones.

Also, a good game is a good game. This has not so much to do with the hardware.

Every professional photographer can make amazing photos with a smartphone or a low budget camera. It’s more about your skills and less about the gear.

I guess badly payed interns and such would happily accept free PS5s from them?

I think I understand the point, but it sounds a bit weird. You can be passionate and or professional about something while not being the die hard target demographic?
Also many devs say that they barely have time to play X Y and Z, only got around playing this one or two titles and that's it? So having PS4s, PCs, Switches and of course Mobiles as various platforms is already quite enough to distract them. Are they supposed to play everything constantly or create something themselves?
Carmack talked about doing some mobile programming and that he (re)learned something by doing so, or something like that. A good worker learns with any tool. Sometimes you have to provide the tools and the necessary problem to trigger solving skills. That should be checked, not their gaming behavior. Having an open mind that not just follows the current trend could imho be very important and is probably missing in the dev. and publisher world. We need more creatives not doing something that they experienced already, but have a desire to shape something no one ever had. Everyone needs some inspirations, but that does not need to come from the sources you want to expand then afterwards.

K2D

Banned
1. [students]

2. Flood gates will open when there are enough incentive to buy.

3. They'll have to choose whether to target core gamers or mainstream gamers (or develop for several platforms). How likely is it that mainstream gamer will adopt their games and visa versa.. and that pool is diminishing.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

They seem to have cell phones, Switches and PCs running Steam though...
All either cheap or necessary to some degree.

I mean, if you're a game development student, you at the very least need a computer with basic gaming capabilities for programming/developing games, waaay more than a ps5.

Sorcerer

Piroshi (I assume) is not in touch with reality. Assumes everybody can afford the luxury's he is accustomed to, and students are attending school purely for altruistic reasons. Piroshi should be a little altruistic himself and set up some kind of donation program where students can get a PS5 as part of the curriculum if he is so concerned.

PC and Phones - Necessity
Switch - Cheaper and Portable
PS4 - Old. Everybody got one eventually if they desired it.
Xbox - Nothing necessary about that for students. LOL!!! Maybe Microsoft can give them away as a sort of fire sale for students if they even think that would help Xbox in Japan. LOL!!!

Student's playing games at home is not going to teach them anything about PS5. Dev Kits in the classroom sounds far more practical.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
lol what a weird headline, cherry-picking 10% PS5.
  • 100% Mobile
  • 90% Switch
  • 80% Steam
  • 80% PlayStation
  • 1% Xbox
Most have to do with geographical regions and the budget/resources of studios than anything else.

Woopah

Apparently people can only develop great games for the future if they own a PS5, but nor if they own a PC or Switch.

Doesn't make any sense.

Dane

Ummmmm, why it would matter owning the specific hardware when other platforms have similar type of technology and content?

Plus, why it would matter if the students can't own or afford a devkit? Since last generation they all require internet connect and membership to work.

Killer8

Owning a console has absolutely nothing to do with the knowledge of how to develop for it. What a tard. No wonder Square Enix had to take the FF7 remake off them.

sQyCreg.png

The Steam percentage is much larger then I expected. I'm kind of hoping that will translate to future awesome PC games by up & coming Japanese talent. I especially want to see them blow up in the indie scene, which is still dominated by western devs.

Sakura

This guy has no idea what he is talking about. Why would you need a PS5 in order to work at a company that develops games for the PS5? Owning a PS5 isn't going to magically give you knowledge about how to develop games for the PS5.

Gametrek

Banned
ROTLOL..

Lets be fair. He is basically saying that Students working towards making games should be hyper consumers and buy whatever is new. Because that is how all people who play videogames are. So he is ignoring COVID, and the fact that these are students not consumers. But then again college is not really about burning money and then dropping out

Back then it was

Amiga ( but it was IBM clones )
NES ( Should have been PCE )
Gameboy ( should have been PCE portable )

Now it is

Windows 7-12 PC
Switch
Android

That is how things are right now and will be for a very long time.

Last edited:

ArtHands

This guy has no idea what he is talking about. Why would you need a PS5 in order to work at a company that develops games for the PS5? Owning a PS5 isn't going to magically give you knowledge about how to develop games for the PS5.

Basically he think game design student who are also hardcore video game players outside of work/study time (playing the latest AAA games and has the latest high end consoles like the PS5 etc), has the passion to create the best games.

ArtHands

The Steam percentage is much larger then I expected. I'm kind of hoping that will translate to future awesome PC games by up & coming Japanese talent. I especially want to see them blow up in the indie scene, which is still dominated by western devs.
Gabe said Japan is one of if not the fastest PC growing market. Come to think of it maybe the balance is shifting from Playstation to not just Switch but also PC. Especially when you consider they were telling Square Enix to port FF16 to PC back then, before SE confirm the PC version.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You don’t need a PS5 to develop shitty cookie cutter licensed anime games that look like they’re running on a PS3.

Top Bottom