• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 reaches more active players than Starfield on Steam after Update 2.0 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
cyberpunk-starfield-steam.jpg

From Dexerto:

Cyberpunk 2077 has gained more active players than Starfield on Steam since the release of Update 2.0, as the popularity of CD Projekt RED’s action RPG continues to surge...The current active player count for Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam is 113,611, while the current online player count is 169,711. Starfield, on the other hand, has 73,537 active players as of today, but more online players than Cyberpunk which amounts to 187,485...After the release of Update 2.0 for Cyberpunk 2077, the game climbed to the seventh position in active player count, securing the top spot for the week’s best-selling titles on Steam and pushing Starfield off to the tenth on the list.

From SteamDB as of writing thist post, Cyberpunk has 112,697 CCUs, and Starfield 108,748, and a 24h peak of 151,422 and 151,200 for Cyberpunk and Starfield respectively.

This rising player count comes off the back of Cyberpunk's 2.0 release and upcoming and already well received Phantom Liberty DLC, leading some sites such as PC Gamer to write post-Starfield:
The argument that Starfield's larger scale justifies its constant repetition just doesn't make sense to me. Cyberpunk is absolutely huge as well. And it feels large in a more meaningful way. It's not segmented by countless loading screens, and every space flows into the next, making each trip across it feel like a cohesive journey.
Every district, every street, tells you part of the story of Night City. The environment is your constant narrator, and at first walking through it might give you sensory overload, but it's worth the price of admission. It's a sprawling metropolis that I've properly gotten to know, unlike the substantially blander settlements and planets of Starfield.
How this trend pans out for the upcoming weekend will be interesting to see. It seems as if Starfield is getting close to dropping under 100k CCUs outside of peak times, having failed to get anywhere near BG3, and pressure from Cyberpunk may have a substantial impact on the remaining players.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
weird comparison seeing as how Starfield is almost a month old now. A proper comparison would be once the DLC comes out and beats the Starfield max concurrent users. I believe it was a little under 300k.

Topher

Gold Member
That's not bad for a re-launch of a nearly three year old game, but really just isn't a valid comparison. Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 has peaked at 169.5k on Sept 24. On that same day, Starfield hit 184k. And several other games have been jockeying around that same position since Starfield launched. So what's the point being made here?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

phant0m

That's not bad for a re-launch of a nearly three year old game, but really just isn't a valid comparison. Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 has peaked at 169.5k on Sept 24. On that same day, Starfield hit 184k. And several other games have been jockeying around that same position since Starfield launched. So what's the point being made here?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Any opportunity to shit on Starfield is this forum’s latest hobby. Just can’t enough!

Also, one game is on sale and has had 3 years to build an install base. The other has been on sale for 3 weeks.

But sure, WoW cYbErPuNk OwNs StArFiElD!!!!

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Any opportunity to shit on Starfield is this forum’s latest hobby. Just can’t enough!

Also, one game is on sale and has had 3 years to build an install base. The other has been on sale for 3 weeks.

But sure, WoW cYbErPuNk OwNs StArFiElD!!!!
Are You Okay Chicago Fire GIF by One Chicago

I don't get the comparison either, other than they were two very hyped games prior to their launch. However, I don't see it as a negative against Starfield but a positive for Cyberpunk. Both games launched to incredible hype and for a 3-year-old game to be making a comeback against one of the current hot titles is a good thing IMO.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The year is 2024. Starfield is voted as the universal yard stick by the United Nations. The year is now 1AS (After Starfield).
All figures are now measured in Starfields. ("The movie cost 1/2 a Starfield!")
All stories are now compared to Starfield. ("It's about as good as the UC questline in Starfield").
All metrics are now measured in Starfields. ("It currently has 26.5% of Starfield's March 11th player count!")
All children are legally required to be named after Starfield characters. Sarah is now the most common name on Earth.
All threads on NeoGAF are Starfield threads. Evilore changes the logo to the Starfield patch. All avatars are now the Starfield logo.
We're sitll waiting for the official DLSS patch.
Todd Howard smiles.

Last edited:

RavageX

Im beginning to think some of you are special in some way. I dont get the constant nonsense with Starfield, and I really dont understand why everyone suddenly has a hard on for Cyberpunk.

Dlc be damned...I just dont see the hype with the patch. The patch really hasnt done any miracle work from what i can tell.

ClosBSAS

phantom liberty is amazing so far. once we get starfield with all its mods its ognna be great, however, starfield will have the longer legs if its anything like skyrim. well see in the end i dont even know why ppl keep wanting starfield to die, its here to stay whether you like it or not

diffusionx

Gold Member
When I started playing CP2077, you instantly notice how expressive the characters are in dialogues, it's extremely well done. Compare that to the zoom in and dead-eyed wooden stare of Starfield NPCs as they talk to you, the same zoom in and wooden stare as Oblivion and it's like... what's going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom