• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D&D won’t revive Dark Sun because it’s ‘problematic in a lot of ways’

Doom85

All this tells me is that you are completely ignorant on the subject and have no reason speaking on it. You do realize this isn't Twitter, right?

All your post tells me is you don’t know shit since you don’t even make an argument in this post, just throw out accusations blindly with zero substance. And I’ll speak as much as I damn well please. You do realize this isn‘t an echo chamber, right? Sorry if I violated your little safe space.

Seriously, learn to make a damn argument before you speak to me again. You always do this, even when you do make an initial argument and I then make a counter argument, you then just repeat what you already said with zero reinforcement as if that’s how a discussion works. If a group of friends are together and someone says they want to get Wendy’s tonight and another person says they’ve already had Wendy’s yesterday, the first person can’t just repeat wanting Wendy’s without anything additional to their argument.

Don‘t be getting in my face all high and mighty when you have repeatedly failed to learn how to argue about anything we’ve discussed.

DKehoe

America's solution to a past it doesn't like is to run away from it and never mention it again. Never mind slavery existing before and after the Transatlantic Slave Trade in many more places, America gets triggered by it so that's that.

Let everyone play it, and let tables manage themselves as they do with every single thing that happens in an improvisational game.
The thing I don't really get with it is it's not like stories that involve slavery are saying "fuck yeh, slavery is awesome!" With stories these days it's always depicted as a bad thing. The slavers are the bad guys and the slaves and the people helping to free them are the good guys. If anything stories that involve slavery can help because they can start a discussion of "hey this is fucked up right? We should never do this to each other."

The thing I don't really get with it is it's not like stories that involve slavery are saying "fuck yeh, slavery is awesome!" With stories these days it's always depicted as a bad thing. The slavers are the bad guys and the slaves and the people helping to free them are the good guys. If anything stories that involve slavery can help because they can start a discussion of "hey this is fucked up right? We should never do this to each other."

You are talking about people who are either extremely stupid - like, medical grade stupid, or those who knows this to be the case but are only interested in power moves. They want to ruin things for everybody just because they can.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
True fact: There are more slaves today than ever before. China is trafficking people all over the world to do hard labor there, the middle east and Africa. Yet certain groups like to ignore that and focus on an institution that ended 200 years ago.

Yep. Literal chattel slavery in Peru. Indentured servitude of tens of thousands of Filipinos throughout the Middle East. The sex slave trade, even of underaged girls, is out of control.

And yet people from the cozy confines of their first world homes and apartments complain about elves and orcs and shit in fantasy role playing games. Shit is surreal. Right out of a cautionary, dystopian sci-fi short story from the 70's or 80's.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It sounds or appears to be a cool setting. I see I could order some of its stuff on Amazon. The only D&D campaign I own is the Sunless Citadel. I’ve always wanted to own a couple monster books, but I have no idea what would be good quality or worth getting.

It sounds or appears to be a cool setting. I see I could order some of its stuff on Amazon. The only D&D campaign I own is the Sunless Citadel. I’ve always wanted to own a couple monster books, but I have no idea what would be good quality or worth getting.

It's AD&D Mad Max and it's great. All of the old Dark Sun books are good reads if you just enjoy reading lore and mechanics like I do.

It was really unique among the settings of the time. Characters started at 3rd level to reflect the harshness and difficulty of the landscape. Water is always an issue, and metal items are exceedingly rare. Most weapons and armor are fashioned from rock, bone, wood, chitin, or similar substances.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
All your post tells me is you don’t know shit since you don’t even make an argument in this post, just throw out accusations blindly with zero substance. And I’ll speak as much as I damn well please. You do realize this isn‘t an echo chamber, right? Sorry if I violated your little safe space.

Seriously, learn to make a damn argument before you speak to me again. You always do this, even when you do make an initial argument and I then make a counter argument, you then just repeat what you already said with zero reinforcement as if that’s how a discussion works. If a group of friends are together and someone says they want to get Wendy’s tonight and another person says they’ve already had Wendy’s yesterday, the first person can’t just repeat wanting Wendy’s without anything additional to their argument.

Don‘t be getting in my face all high and mighty when you have repeatedly failed to learn how to argue about anything we’ve discussed.

Your projection game is on point as usual. Keep up the good work, NPC #535566!

I am sure your 2 twitter followers will be more than glad you are fighting the good fight.

simpatico

Can't believe these people honestly think that not reviving Dark Sun is going to wipe away the stain of slavery from the franchise. Cancel the entire D&D franchise or just admit that everyone involved is a foaming-at-the-mouth racist. There's honestly no third option.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Can't believe these people honestly think that not reviving Dark Sun is going to wipe away the stain of slavery from the franchise. Cancel the entire D&D franchise or just admit that everyone involved is a foaming-at-the-mouth racist. There's honestly no third option.
I think they also wiped slavery away from the drow, duergar and mindflayers backstories

Fuz

Banned
Wizards of the Coast has become a jwoke. And they've been a joke for quite a time already.

Doom85

Your projection game is on point as usual. Keep up the good work, NPC #535566!

I am sure your 2 twitter followers will be more than glad you are fighting the good fight.

Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Sorry you don’t like being pointed out how the most basic rules of debate work. I’m just trying to save from public humiliation should you ever find yourself in a debate with an IRL person, but as I can see from what you just responded with, you can’t even follow the most important rule of debate.

But hey, look on the bright side, you have a great future in politics, kid!

Go Get Em Point GIF by Rasmussen University

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

[/URL][/URL]

Sorry you don’t like being pointed out how the most basic rules of debate work. I’m just trying to save from public humiliation should you ever find yourself in a debate with an IRL person, but as I can see from what you just responded with, you can’t even follow the most important rule of debate.

But hey, look on the bright side, you have a great future in politics, kid!

Go Get Em Point GIF by Rasmussen University

Mate, any "Debate" we have always ends the same way. Literally what you keep claiming *I* do. Hence why I pointed out your patented projection. Try again. This isn't ResetEra, do better. Actually *learn* what this franchise is about before you REEEEE because you heard "slavery" and got your virtue signaling boner all in a tizzy.

Last edited:

Doom85

Mate, any "Debate" we have always ends the same way. Literally what you keep claiming *I* do. Hence why I pointed out your patented projection. Try again. This isn't ResetEra, do better. Actually *learn* what this franchise is about before you REEEEE because you heard "slavery" and got your virtue signaling boner all in a tizzy.

-you never add on to anything to your initial argument while I do. In an actual debate, you can’t just repeat your opening statement repeatedly. This is basic ass shit right here

-fucking stop with the basic Twitter and Era “retorts”. Just like calling anyone a “Nazi” is old, this shit has gotten stale when you’re just labeling people because you have nothing to say.

-my first post shows I know a lot more about the franchise compared to your first post in which you said Jack and shit about the franchise because you were too excited to come after me again.

-what virtue signaling?! Child, I flat out said any DM can just add whatever elements they want to their personal campaign. I don’t give a shit, if you want to run a campaign where all the women are dragged off to the goblins’ sex slave camp, that’s your own fucking business as long as your players are cool with it. But that doesn’t mean the people writing the books are obligated to include it in their official material. And again, because you can add it yourself easily, and VIRTUALLY EVERY DM ON THE PLANET ADDS IN AT LEAST A LITTLE OF THEIR OWN MATERIAL OR IMPROVS SOME STUFF AS OPPOSED TO RUNNING A BOOK 100% TO THE TEE, this is such a non-issue compared to the ACTUAL issues going on with the license.

I am familiar with the property, and have actually provided evidence of that. You’ve provided zero evidence, and still want a cookie for doing nothing other than using your basic catchphrases of:

”projection!”
”Twitter!”
”NPC!”
”ResetEra!”

You truly are a broken record. Can’t add on to your initial post, and have to use the same small pool of labels you know.

Disappointed King Of The Hill GIF

In December 2022, Wizards of the Coast announced that the word "race" would no longer be used to refer to a character's biological traits and instead would be replaced with the word "species"; this change went into effect with the December One D&D playtest release. The press release stated that "'race' is a problematic term that has had prejudiced links between real world people and the fantasy peoples of D&D worlds" and that terminology change was made with the consultation of "multiple outside cultural consultants".
Hahaha, I have some catchup to do with these morons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom