• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] It’s time for Microsoft to build an Xbox Steam Deck

Should Microsoft make their own gaming handheld to compete with Steam Deck?

• Total voters

Topher

Gold Member
A box isn’t necessarily the best shape anymore.

The Nintendo Switch is on track to become the bestselling game console of all time. Sony’s PS5 will likely surpass the Xbox One’s entire lifetime sales later this year. Meanwhile, Microsoft’s newer Xbox Series X and S, with their comparatively disappointing exclusive games, are firmly in third place yet again — and it doesn’t look like Xbox Game Pass will ever fill the gap.

Microsoft isn’t planning to take this lying down. It’s among the largest video game companies in the world now that it owns Activision Blizzard, and it’s going to act. This Thursday, we expect the company to reveal a seismic shift in strategy, one where it could bring Xbox exclusives like Hi-Fi Rush, Starfield, even Indiana Jones to PlayStation and / or Switch.
To Xbox diehards, that might sound a lot like giving up! What’s the point of buying the one box that doesn’t have exclusive games? But there’s a different way Microsoft could demonstrate hardware leadership, build a console worth buying, and fulfill its “play-anywhere” ambitions. Microsoft could harness the incredible flexibility of Windows to build the best Nintendo Switch competitor ever made.

Microsoft could follow the Steam Deck playbook, putting the power of a mini-Xbox in your hands.

Right now, it feels like handheld gaming (not cloud!) is the future, and the world has been waiting for Microsoft to make its move. We tried phones with attached gamepads and cloud portables, but nothing has lit a spark like the dedicated Nintendo Switch and Steam Deck. Handheld PC makers are crying out for a piece of the action, throwing awkward layers atop a bloated Windows operating system for lack of anything better. Microsoft could beat them, or join them, if it’s willing to take the reins.

Imagine if the next Xbox looked like a Steam Deck by way of Microsoft’s design teams: comfortable and sleek at the same time. Imagine an Xbox interface where Microsoft’s PC games, console games, and cloud games live side by side. Imagine if you could simply pick “Play Halo,” wherever you are in the world, your handheld delivering the best version possible — whether that be locally downloaded, streamed from your home Xbox, streamed from the cloud, or possibly more than one simultaneously. Imagine picking up right where you left off on your TV or vice versa, playing with your friends across both Xbox and PC.

We have the technology. Microsoft in particular has the technology. It’s just a little fragmented, waiting for execs and engineers to fit the puzzle pieces together in a single, seamless experience.

If you’re an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscriber, you can already download a copy of Halo Infinite to your PC, or Xbox, or stream it from xCloud. The downloaded Xbox copy can already be streamed to a Windows PC over your home network as well. No matter which way you play, your saved games and your friends can typically come along for the ride.

The Asus ROG Ally, and behind it a Steam Deck, Nintendo Switch, and original Game Boy.

The Asus ROG Ally, and behind it a Steam Deck, Nintendo Switch, and original Game Boy. Photo by Sean Hollister / The Verge

In 2013, I told you how console games and PC games were beginning to seriously merge. That’s when Sony and Microsoft started using AMD processors running on the x86 instruction set to power their hardware. It made it easier than ever for developers to build a single game for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC — and both Microsoft and Sony saw additional opportunity. They started releasing their biggest games on Windows PCs, too. You no longer needed a console to play Halo or God of War, and it seemed like Microsoft preferred it that way.

But when Valve released the Steam Deck, it was Sony, not Microsoft, that capitalized. We wrote how the Steam Deck made PlayStation’s biggest games portable, and how the Steam Deck made us buy games we would have otherwise purchased for Nintendo Switch. But that meant we were buying our games through Steam rather than paying Microsoft.

Sure, there was that 14-step process to get Xbox Cloud Gaming working on the Steam Deck, you could install a half-baked version of Windows at your own risk, and eventually Microsoft helped Valve get games like Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite working on Valve’s handheld well enough to justify a purchase. But it wasn’t the whole package.

The white gamepad button-equipped seven-inch handheld gaming PC with a screen flanked on either side by joysticks, buttons, and a D-pad. Another black handheld gaming PC with a similar configuration is behind it.

Our Asus ROG Ally review had some choice words about using a Windows handheld. Photo by Vjeran Pavic / The Verge

I’ve spent lots of time with both the Asus ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion Go, too, and I can’t recommend either Windows-powered Steam Deck-alike without serious reservations. I find it stunning — and a little embarrassing — how much more accessible Windows games are on the Linux-based Steam Deck than they are on a native Windows machine. And at the end of the day, they’re still propping up Valve’s Steam game store more than Microsoft’s PC Game Pass.

But while that’s partly Microsoft’s fault, it’s also Microsoft’s opportunity, and I bet it can rise to the occasion.

To truly succeed, Microsoft needs more than a Windows handheld with an Xbox app on top. It should play all the Xbox games, not just PC ones. Like the Steam Deck does with Windows games atop Linux, it should run a compatibility layer (or maybe a virtual machine) so your Xbox Series games just work — optimally on a custom chip that gives it better battery life than today’s Windows handhelds.

This should all be within reach. Microsoft is the company that pulled a rabbit out of the hat to make the x86-based Xbox One backward compatible with loads of Xbox 360 games that were designed to run on PowerPC chips. It’s the company that once spent $100 million just to refine its Xbox gamepad. It’s a company that’s repeatedly commissioned semi-custom processors for its Xbox consoles — does anyone think AMD would turn down the opportunity to do a custom part for an Xbox handheld? Would Intel or Nvidia, for that matter?

Such a chip should match the graphical performance of an Xbox Series S, if not an Xbox Series X. While the Steam Deck’s AMD “Aerith” and “Sephiroth” AMD chips don’t, the chips inside the Asus ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion Go already offer more raw teraflops than a Series S when they’re plugged into the wall. If they targeted 720p or 800p resolution when on battery, like the Steam Deck, a new chip should be more than capable of playing current-gen Xbox fare.

Such a handheld might even play next-gen Xbox games if Microsoft’s dreams become reality — by letting the cloud pick up the slack. Hideo Kojima’s OD is being built on Microsoft’s Xbox cloud, and the company had an internal vision for cloud hybrid games by 2028.

Either way, I don’t think Microsoft can afford to miss this coming moment unless it’s abandoning Xbox hardware for good. With “multiple millions” sold, the Steam Deck isn’t a huge threat yet. But if the Nintendo Switch 2 is a success, and Sony decides to make a truly portable PlayStation to join it, Microsoft wouldn’t want to be the only one betting on a box instead.

I'm a fan of handhelds and I'd love to see Microsoft make one, personally.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The Steam Deck has quickly become one of my favourite gaming devices ever, so I gladly welcome more platforms in that space. However, Microsoft would need to differentiate itself in some way for me to want to pick up their device, too. The Steam Deck is a Linux PC, so things like emulation, local video playback, and local apps make it almost a must-buy before you even consider Steam games - but those are all things that clearly won't fly on an official "Xbox Series P" device. Putting a performant "gaming" version of Windows in a suped up handheld and delivering it at a very competitive price, however? That would be mighty tempting.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I don't completely agree with this. Yes it's great for portability but these devices need to have an EGPU dock as well for home use. What Microsoft needs to do is build a damn new OS strictly for handheld gaming, traditional windows is a mess on them with services not needed. Strip it down and allow bare metal access for gaming.

Im not looking to go back a generation in graphics and frames so we can carry around a screen. Why can't we have both newer AMD's are plenty powerful and with a EGPU dock we can do 4K / 120 if that's important to you.

Buggy Loop

Yes

A windows handheld, not xbox.

And yes, allow Steam on it. It should act fully as a PC.

There's no point into branding it differently now. These consoles are basically PCs. They could unlock every xbox tomorrow to allow them to run windows. So might as well just go fully in with windows. Even if it was console size rather than handheld, imagine a ~$500 next gen console that would also run everything PC? It would effectively be the steam box strategy but with actual production and leverage behind (Valve had none). Want to put the thing next to TV? You can. Want to use it as a desktop? You can. Want to keep it as a desktop but also TV? Motherfucking Wifi 7 dongle for flawless 4K 120fps HDR streaming with latency like wired ethernet.

A future of locking these X86 architectures behind a locked OS is stupid.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The Steam Deck has quickly become one of my favourite gaming devices ever, so I gladly welcome more platforms in that space. However, Microsoft would need to differentiate itself in some way for me to want to pick up their device, too. The Steam Deck is a Linux PC, so things like emulation, local video playback, and local apps make it almost a must-buy before you even consider Steam games - but those are all things that clearly won't fly on an official "Xbox Series P" device. Putting a performant "gaming" version of Windows in a suped up handheld and delivering it at a very competitive price, however? That would be mighty tempting.

I agree. Has to really find a way to stand out from the other handhelds. Can't just be another Windows handheld with Xbox branding. Pricing is going to be difficult as they have partnerships with Asus so not sure how that would work competing against a partner.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Microsoft shouldn't make the hardware

Microsoft should make a dedicated mode in Windows that is tailored to these small gaming portables, even the Steam Deck. I have Windows on my Steam Deck, and it's great having access to Game Pass and the other launchers, but I still use Steam's big picture mode 99% of the time to play games. If Windows had a dead-simple "game console like" interface, similar to Steam, I think Windows adoption in that emerging market would go up significantly. More Windows handhelds = more screens playing Xbox games, potentially. At the very least, more Windows licenses sold.

Yes

There's no point into branding it differently now. These consoles are basically PCs. They could unlock every xbox tomorrow to allow them to run windows. So might as well just go fully in with windows. Even if it was console size rather than handheld, imagine a ~$500 next gen console that would also run everything PC? It would effectively be the steam box strategy but with actual production and leverage behind (Valve had none). Want to put the thing next to TV? You can. Want to use it as a desktop? You can. Want to keep it as a desktop but also TV? Motherfucking Wifi 7 dongle for flawless 4K 120fps HDR streaming with latency like wired ethernet.

Oh you know ms gonna fuck it up and just use their windows store for games on it. Cant have it be too open after all.

reinking

Gold Member
While I do believe Microsoft should have been leading the charge instead of chasing Steam Deck, I would like to see them come in and create a Microsoft Gaming handheld that is closer to the Switch in design than the Steam Deck. Not only that, I might have said it here before, I would like to see them partner with a PC brand and create a PC that has specific targets that Microsoft Games could be optimized for. Maybe a low, mid and GTFO of here tiers. Am I losing my mind if I am starting to believe in the "new" Microsoft Gaming shift? I am looking forward to tomorrow.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Reading all this I do have a feeling that at this point Xbox Hardware Division (not MS Gaming) is a answer in a dire search for a question.

But more choice is always good, Deck is de-facto standart for PC Handhelds right now, mighty fine device with great software (I'm still sad that I don't really need it, cuz when I'm on the move I simply don't have time to properly play games).

Did that guy from Verge wrote that after seeing that thread on gaf???

Nothing's a bigger money black hole than R&D for new hardware. And it also takes a huge amount of time. They'll be years behind everyone in the competition. Xbox has been struggling because they have been chasing dumb trends for 2 generations.

Topher

Gold Member
While I do believe Microsoft should have been leading the charge instead of chasing Steam Deck, I would like to see them come in and create a Microsoft Gaming handheld that is closer to the Switch in design than the Steam Deck. Not only that, I might have said it here before, I would like to see them partner with a PC brand and create a PC that has specific targets that Microsoft Games could be optimized for. Maybe a low, mid and GTFO of here tiers. Am I losing my mind if I am starting to believe in the "new" Microsoft Gaming shift? I am looking forward to tomorrow.

I'm trying to imagine a Switch-like handheld where the dock actually does improve the quality on the screen via processing boost and not just extra wattage. A dock that is also an eGPU perhaps. Not talking about some massive powerhouse either. Like a 3060 mobile maybe. I could see that ePGU/dock being sold separately. Asus has their XG Mobile, but they produced very few of them and they between $1000 and $2000. This would have to be quite a bit less, obviously. Probably bunch of reasons why it isn't feasible though.

These devices need an option for the tv. I don’t wanna play on a small screen all the time.

Would be DOA without that.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Sure, go for it. I’d rather have a hybrid/Switch solution where I get something included to easily move to the TV with improved performance though, rather than a straight up handheld.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I can't see any reason to buy it though, any area where the Switch or the Steam Deck don't already beat it.

If I want a hybrid with exclusive all-ages games unlike any other platform, there's the Switch. If I want everything else, the entire world of content on Steam, there's the Steam Deck. Those already cover the field 100%.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
What would be the point? The Steam Deck can already play those first party titles released on Steam and there are ways to get Gamepass on the Steam Deck.

Other then then the logo branded on the outer plastic shell of the device it wouldn't be doing anything new or different that a Steam Deck or Windows handheld is doing now.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

If they do this, it can't just be a bog standard handheld pc. It's needs to have a differentiator to stand out. It has to outclass the steam deck in power, and outclass the other windows handhelds in UI and feature set.

Sakura

The Steam Deck has only sold what, two or three million? What would be the point? I'm sure certain enthusiasts would like it, but I can't imagine it would be much of a money maker. The Switch's popularity isn't just because it is handheld.

Raonak

Banned
Yes

Without the xbox branding and ecosystem, there is no point to buy this device, as it'll end up being hugely overpriced.

The $500 next gen console that runs everything a PC does sounds good on paper, until you realise what a $500 PC can even run.

Without having a platform/ecosystem to funnel purchases through, then all the profit you're making is off the hardware margins, which won't even be enough to recoup the R&D.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm trying to imagine a Switch-like handheld where the dock actually does improve the quality on the screen via processing boost and not just extra wattage. A dock that is also an eGPU perhaps. Not talking about some massive powerhouse either. Like a 3060 mobile maybe. I could see that ePGU/dock being sold separately. Asus has their XG Mobile, but they produced very few of them and they between $1000 and $2000. This would have to be quite a bit less, obviously. Probably bunch of reasons why it isn't feasible though...
I think the raw material cost would be prohibitive - even for Microsoft. If they're building their Switch, they'll need to price it like a console, and the peripherals would need to be priced accordingly. Thinking it over, a dock housing just a straight forward AI-powered reconstruction upscaler should be feasible and actually relatively inexpensive. The Xbox renders at native, say 800p, and then the purpose-built upscaler can reconstruct it to a clean 4k. If the dock has its own internal fans, the device could run hotter to push the resolution up, giving a cleaner final resolve. The only issue is that the upscaler would likely be proprietary in this scenario - meaning no third party docks.

Last edited:
I would like Microsoft to make my Series X into an Steam Deck, and allow me to install Steam OS and Windows. That would be awesome

El Muerto

I'm sure they'll make one as MS just closed the deal with AMD to make ARM chips. But they will have to put the Xbox OS on them. Too many people getting buyers remorse from purchasing these handhelds since they're not plug and play like a console. Not trying to make fun on console users as i am one myself, I buy every console every gen, but it can be overwhelming to setup games on a pc if you have no experience doing so.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I would like Microsoft to make my Series X into an Steam Deck, and allow me to install Steam OS and Windows. That would be awesome
How many years are you willing to wait for such a far off concept? Because current AMD APUs are at around a GTX 1030 in terms of power while a Series X has roughly a RTX 3070 so we are far off from such a possibility and that's ignoring the big elephant in the room of how long these handhelds will run because battery technology hasn't significantly improved these past few years.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

The Steam Deck has only sold what, two or three million? What would be the point? I'm sure certain enthusiasts would like it, but I can't imagine it would be much of a money maker. The Switch's popularity isn't just because it is handheld.

Valve isn't even close to the leverage a company like Microsoft has with chip manufacturers and production lines. Steam deck is too expensive but its small quantities. Microsoft would plan into selling a lot more of them and lower costs.

Steam deck has a dock too so I assume peoples are also refering that a microsoft handheld would have a dock too.

I think it would be a massive money maker. If they would allow windows on it, they would light the fire under so many asses for PC gaming handheld.

Topher

Gold Member
I think the raw material cost would be prohibitive - even for Microsoft. If they're building their Switch, they'll need to price it like a console, and the peripherals would need to be priced accordingly. Thinking it over, a dock housing just a straight forward AI-powered reconstruction upscaler should be feasible and actually relatively inexpensive. The Xbox renders at native, say 800p, and then the purpose-built upscaler can reconstruct it to a clean 4k. If the dock has its own internal fans, the device could run hotter to push the resolution up, giving a cleaner final resolve. The only issue is that the upscaler would likely be proprietary in this scenario - meaning no third party docks.

Good points. And probably more risk than Microsoft is willing to take on with this thing as well.

Buggy Loop

Windows 11 will have an update to have AI super resolution upscaling for everything, games and videos, 2 days ago I saw this and this flew under the radar.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Last edited:
Top Bottom