• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] It’s time for Microsoft to build an Xbox Steam Deck

Should Microsoft make their own gaming handheld to compete with Steam Deck?

• Total voters

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I agree with this, just ask Asus to change slightly RoG Ally, with better memory and sell it as a Xbox Deck.

Three

We couldnt beat Sony, so lets go for Nintendo head on, in a market that even Sony got out of because they couldn't compete, sounds legit.

(I jest, I actually think they will do this, but it wont be their main console, and they wont expect massive sales either and I think Sony will also re-enter the market with a full handheld. I suppose the one advantage of both MS and Sony doing this is they can stream directly from Gamepass/PS+ and also Remote Play (yes, I know Nintendo could do this also), we may not like the streaming future, but for handhelds it makes sense as you can mimic the power of the main consoles at least in areas with good internet)
They're gunning after cloud and steamdeck/steamOS, mark my words. They are going to try and maintain their windows gaming pc/directx development advantage because it's slowly under threat from development on linux based cloud and other handhelds/mobile devices. It's the war on development support they're going to try and win.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Seeing as MS is losing the console race hard to Sony, opening the series X to be able play Steam/PC games would be a huge boost imo, as you're getting a helluva PC for the price alongwith access to the entire PC market, if this was the case hell id stump the cash up for one
No way they will do this. It's a good price because they lose money on it in the hope that they've locked you in to buying from their store.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
If they can put out a streamlined portable gaming experience for a decent price then they should build a SwitchBox. It needs to be relatively cheap and it needs to be simple enough for a kid to use. Same price as the XSX and HDMI out then I would consider getting one for the kids and for family gaming.

Sorcerer

I think they will chase it for their windows gaming monopoly. That would be the incentive for picking MS' version. They will continue to release games that don't work on SteamOS out of the box and have people developing games for windows but with a better experience than the RoG Ally.
I don't think Microsoft has the cache to deliberately make games not work with the Steam Deck. Is anybody going to cry that they can't play Xbox exclusive games on the Steamdeck? I think people will just leave Xbox and Microsoft in the dust.

Last edited:

Tsaki

I wish they did and offer a nice fat $200 subsidy for it like the Series X. Then I can put Windows debloat to remove all the Microsoft spyware, uninstall Edge and download Steam and Brave.
A brand new Steam Machine at Microsoft's expense.

37o7hVc.jpg

Three

I don't think Microsoft has the cache to deliberately make games not work with the Steam Deck. Is anybody going to cry that they can't play Xbox exclusive games on the Steamdeck? I think people will just leave Xbox and Microsoft in the dust.
I think the steamdeck install base is currently too small for MS to worry about losing steamdeck sales on their games. That's why currently a lot of their games release broken day 1 on the thing and they don't care.

They can see that it is slowly building an install base though and I think they would rather it was their own ecosystem. If for example the next CoD works on some xbox handheld and not on steamdeck that would help the handheld a lot and not really affect the game sales much. It's entirely possible that whatever they release could outsell the deck.

Hugare

Valve take a loss with each SD sold 'cause they recoup it with Steam games

How would MS recoup with taking a loss with each hardware sold? MS Store? Doubt it

Making new hardware doesnt make sense anymore to MS. They will keep on bleeding money.

FireFly

The xbox catalogue is pretty much the same as the PC catalogue so... 🤷‍♂️
True but the main appeal of the Steam Deck is its plug and play nature, where you don't have to use Windows on a portable screen. But then you don't get access to Game Pass. An Xbox portable could boot into the Xbox OS for a console-like experience. You would also be able to play Xbox One and 360 content.

I'm not saying it would be a big seller; just that it would occupy its own niche.

Damigos

Even if MS makes one it will be late to the party. People are already committed to Switch and Deck (which also has GamePass).

Shifty1897

What OS would it run? If it runs Linux, it's just admitting defeat. If it runs Windows Lite, it will still not perform as well as other handhelds with similar specs running Linux.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
My guess is Phil is going to announce today that they are building an Xbox handheld, choosing today as the day to announce it because they want to assure consumers that they're still dedicated to Xbox hardware despite announcing some multiplatform titles.

Last edited:
They already had a great product with the Series X that flopped because of a weaker brand and they just couldn't get the games they needed on it to help boost sales. Swapping to another hardware market won't change any of that plus it runs opposite now in the direction they're pivoting to.

a_d_a

Neo Member
MS needs to do a steam machine, but done properly. Supported like a console is.
Put all MGS games on Steam which already has a great handheld. Pointless trying to beat valve/steam/PS.
Just rely software sales.
Then I could just have one box that plays Xbox/PS/PC.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't completely agree with this. Yes it's great for portability but these devices need to have an EGPU dock as well for home use. What Microsoft needs to do is build a damn new OS strictly for handheld gaming, traditional windows is a mess on them with services not needed. Strip it down and allow bare metal access for gaming.

Im not looking to go back a generation in graphics and frames so we can carry around a screen. Why can't we have both newer AMD's are plenty powerful and with a EGPU dock we can do 4K / 120 if that's important to you.

This is the part most people don't understand.

Non of these companies can compete as they don't realize what Valve did. Touch pads and community control layouts.

Unless an ms branded handheld will only play console games, this is needed. So many old school pc games, rts, and others need those touch pads.
They also make great hotbars and radial menus. One touch pad can make 12 buttons as a radial menu with image icons.
This is great for mmos, arpgs, rts genres.
The steam deck clones all omit touch pads. I guess they think gaas fortniters are their target market.

The steam deck community controls section is just pure genius. It solves so many control issues, and you can upload your schemes for others. It shows how many have been downloaded giving you a good idea as to which is best. There are multiple command sets, macros and so many settings in the deck.

My only knock on these devices is small text for some games. Steam deck can get by using steam + l1 to magnify. Somehow, I doubt ms even thinks about this.
Valve has so many options and settings for everything. Even lowering power usage and governing frame rates.
I don't see MS making an open platform like this. At least not with so many options.

Call it the Zune 360
We all know where that went. lol.

Sadly I bought into the original Zune. I actually liked it a lot, until both mine and an ex's got stolen out of our car. Never did update to the next model, and got an ipod mini...those went away too, was the right call as zune hd got the axe shortly thereafter. Back when those devices were separate from your phone and you carried multiple devices.

I really don't think ms could make a device like this right today. They will get something wrong for sure.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
We all know where that went. lol.

Sadly I bought into the original Zune. I actually liked it a lot, until both mine and an ex's got stolen out of our car. Never did update to the next model, and got an ipod mini...those went away too, was the right call as zune hd got the axe shortly thereafter. Back when those devices were separate from your phone and you carried multiple devices.

I really don't think ms could make a device like this right today. They will get something wrong for sure.
You don't know pain till you had 8 tracks that needed matchbooks wedged under the frame to get them to play correctly! You damn new age kids.. :)

Darsxx82

There is only one thing clear. If MS decides to launch an Xbox handheld, it has to follow the same premise as Steamdek. It must be an open platform XBox OS (where to play native and well-optimized games) + Windows (to play Steam, PS, emulator games...)

There is no other company better positioned to be able to offer a product like this that could benefit himself in some way.. In fact, it would be the product that would perfectly express the new mentality they want to sell.

-You can launch it whenever you want.

-You are not obligated to full game support like tthey arr with XSS and XSX.

-The user does not have to worry about the support of 3rd party editors because it maintaining the properties of a PC.

Otherwise it would not stop being seen as another XBOX without exclusives and that will become a paperweight the moment it is not successful in sales or MS decides to stop supporting it.

Given the current situation and the decision to launch games on competing platforms (where they deny Gamepass)... MS must offer some extra or new reason for its consoles to be considered interesting.

That's why its console, if they decide to continue launching hardware, should follow that premise as well. XBOX OS + Windows.

I don't know how much it would sell, but a console/PC where in one way or another you could play all the games (XBOX, PC, PS, Switch, emulators...) and take advantage of the benefits if open PCs and ejoy Gamepass..... it would surely be more interesting than launching the same proposal as PS but with fewer games.

Nydius

Sadly I bought into the original Zune. I actually liked it a lot, until both mine and an ex's got stolen out of our car.

I’ll die on the hill that the Zune was better in nearly every way than the iPods of the same time. Better UI, better features (like the integrated FM radio), better DAC, better file support. The PC software sucked ass but no worse than iTunes for Windows at the time.

But it was a case of Microsoft getting into the business too late and then doing an abysmal job marketing their product compared to the industry leader. The same thing is happening with Surface Tablets. I’ve used them and think they’re pretty damn good, especially for the average home consumer, but they’re doing a terrible job marketing it and explaining why people should consider their tablets over, say, an iPad.

Microsoft can make some great hardware products but they suck at timing and marketing.

MH3M3D

So a handheld that plays Xbox games with a good interface. I think Valve already created a device that can do that and more. They couldn’t beat Sony, so the plan is to take on Valve and Nintendo? Good luck.

Roxkis_ii

Microsoft can't figure out why people aren't buying normal xboxes. Why do they think a Microsoft branded handheld will do any better?? Especially when you buy buy any other handheld and have access to other PC stores.

Also lmao being tired to a device that only uses the Microsoft store.

Geruda065

They dont need to make hardware. They had enaugh of that. They just need xbox mode for windows just like Steamdeck has “console” and desktop mode. Job done. Remember every screen is an xbox?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Thinking about it, an Xbox handheld would be pretty pointless A Steamdeck can already play Microsoft titles via Steam, plus games not found on Xbox. What would an Xbox handheld offer that a SD can't?

StereoVsn

Thinking about it, an Xbox handheld would be pretty pointless A Steamdeck can already play Microsoft titles via Steam, plus games not found on Xbox. What would an Xbox handheld offer that a SD can't?
It would need to be basically a Windows handheld, perhaps with new Qualcomm hardware and x86 translation layer or maybe next year’s AMD’s chipset.

Then they could lay on top Xbox interface basically so it’s better to use vs Windows. It could then play games from any PC store/launcher and maybe Xbox games natively (big if on this one).

If they go Dbix specific handheld it will crash and burn. Even if they go with Windows handheld, Surface team lost its touch and has been producing outdated, expensive, underperforming hardware for years now.

Oppoi

Let's try to think of the lamest possible name for this thing and see which they go for, I'll start! "the Xbox GO X!"

Last edited:

rm082e

If the next Xbox generation is a handheld PC to replace the Series S, and a beefy console to replace the Series X, and they're both Windows machines...that sounds like the most boring thing I can think of. I guess it can't get much worse at this point.

Mercador

They should instead provide an easy Gamepass access to the Steam Deck so they could boost their subscriptions and it might translate in higher hardware sales in the end. In the meantimes, I'll use Greenlight, thanks but no thanks.

rm082e

I know. When that last email came out with Bond talking about "forward compatibility", that sure sounds like making sure they have windows based emulators that will play all the existing Xbox games so they can just put everything on PC. It feels like they're just slowly backing away from hardware all together so they can focus on being a third party publisher.

*sigh*

Last edited:
Top Bottom