• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Da'esh (ISIS) |OT| 21st century Evil and menace to Civilization | News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

Hey guy, to this point I have been able to avoid seeing anything other than a still shot of before this incident. Now thanks to you I have seen a gif of the very moment before this poor man's death, and actually I think a couple of frames of his throat being cut.

I know the gif is not graphic but my imagination is now doing a decent job of finishing it off. So thanks a heap.

Or is this fake with a dummy?

In the video at the link, they're clearly doing multiple takes and nobody gets hurt during the filming. Seems like the hostage is killed later by unknown means.

That correlates with the actual video released by ISIS. I haven't seen any but have read that it shows them starting the cutting process before immediately fading out. This is followed by a still photo of the victim's decapitated head.

I've always been confused by why they would do that when their tactic is shock and horror. This video raises at lot of questions as well though.

That's a bit confusing. Why is Islamic State attacking it's biggest friend in region?

IS wants to overthrow the Saudi State and establish its own. There are lots of Saudi citizens who support this but the Saudi leadership does not as they would all end up being executed live on Youtube as the worst kind of apostates.

hirokazu

This is half the problem. There is this perpetuation of conspiracy theories even by legitimate media, a belief held in the Middle East that IS is not Islamic, that it is a creation of America and the Jews rather than a product of the religion and culture.
I don't know what message PressTV is trying to spread and the whole IS is fabricated thing didn't even cross my mind, but the footage looks legit. Isn't the video itself worth discussion?

Skyzard

Banned

You can tell from the first gif that wasn't the actual take since he doesn't finish it off, but it seems pretty clear that's the setup, as has been suspected by many including terrorism analysts. He's comparing the recording camera's lighting from way back out having to sort out white balance for the dark areas, to the lighting from the studio camera. In the full video I linked earlier, you can even see the wind flutter in their clothes is very similar, even in the studio.

This is half the problem. There is this perpetuation of conspiracy theories even by legitimate media, a belief held in the Middle East that IS is not Islamic, that it is a creation of America and the Jews rather than a product of the religion and culture.

Let's not pretend things that work as propaganda is something only they show or that that makes it false automatically because it's not what my government said! Didn't recent laws get passed for that very purpose (public deception/propaganda) in US.

The theory that America wants ISIS about is very widespread in Arabic countries. TBF they are more familiar with US's foreign intervention shit, actions during the Iraq war that led to the situation, the issues of the region. This video seems pretty damn relevant to that but it's clearly best to keep it hidden to avoid discussion.

Not even "a video has surfaced..." reports either like you'd typically see with new things like this when it works for the narrative.

These animals threatend my country a while back, Albania. As someone who is ignorant when it comes to politics and war, should I be worried of a full blown attack?
No but as someone who describes themselves as "ignorant" I'm glad to see that you're trying to educate yourself a bit.

Keep at it, ignorance breeds fear and that's what these animals count on

M.Bluth

It's either that or that ISIS was created by Iran.
The ME loves conspiracies to death.

Suen

CNN is reporting that ISIS is claiming responsibility for 120 dead, 140 wounded in Iraq: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/middleeast/iraq-violence/index.html

On a hot day, someone drove a truck to sell ice at discount holiday prices, then exploded the truck to kill people.
The one who drove the truck and blew it up was Palestinian. A week ago or so ISIS released a video showing the Speicher massacre, one of the worst massacres in Iraq in recent times. The video showed another Palestinian executing Shia muslims on the truck. This is not the first time Palestinians have been involved in some of the worst atrocities in Iraq towards Iraqis, something I think the media has been ignoring for a while now.

Why am I bringing this particular point up? Because you have to ask yourself, why are Palestinians killing Iraqis? Iraq was one of the few countries who gave thousands upon thousands of Palestinians a normal life. During Saddam's time Palestinians enjoyed benefits that most of the oppressive Iraqi majority (Shia and Kurds) never got to enjoy. It even went so far that Palestinians who were less qualified in the workplace got paid better than Iraqis who were more qualified merely based on sect (Shia & Sunni). New employees could, and often were, better paid than their own boss simply because:

1. They were Palestinians.
2. Used as a part of Saddam's plans to gain more popularity in the Arab world.
3. They were Sunnis.

The benefit and wealth Palestinians enjoyed which many Iraqis could only dream of in their own country came from those very same Iraqis Palestinians are killing today.

A couple of days ago a massive amount of Iraqi Shia went out to celebrate and support Palestinians and the Palestinian plight in this Al Quds day or whatever it's called. Palestinians responded back by celebrating their love for Saddam and their support for ISIS, and finished the celebration with this bomb that killed 120 people on Eid in Iraq.

This is why I personally will never take, care or even accept the Palestinian plight, because for all the crimes they cry about that Israel doing to them (which happens through Israel's excessive use force) they sure don't mind doing the same (in addition of showing support, sympathy and love for a group like ISIS as well as a dictator like Saddam Hussein) in a country that gave them a better life, killing the very same people that enabled them to have this life they enjoyed.

One day I hope that instead of crying constantly about Israel Palestinians will start looking into their own communities and condemn the atrocities they are doing in Syria and Iraq instead of supporting it and holding (what seem to be rare instances for now..and that might only be because it isn't under-reported) funerals for ISIS members of Palesitnian origin. They cry and protest against Israel, and yet instead of fighting and protecting themselves from them they send their men to do the same thing they cry Israel's military doing, hypocrisy at its best.

One day I also hope that Iraqis will fucking wake up, drop all sympathy, protests and support for Palestinians and not give two fucks about the Palestinian plight as well, because the only thing they've gotten back from it is bullets, bombs and huge massacres.

People wonder why Israel has such strict measure put in place, specially in regards to Palestinians. Much of it is discriminatory and not even justified, but if they didn't at least have strict safety measures and those rules that don't discriminate didn't exist then they'd have hundreds of this bombing that happened in Iraq on a daily basis. Let the frequent massacres Palestinian men have done towards Iraqis, a population that gave them a better life be a clear proof of that.

What a bunch of grateful people.

Suen

ISIS detonated a sport stadium in Ramadi. The construction wasn't finished, and I believe it was halted when ISIS invaded Anbar back in 2013, but anyway they blew whatever that had been built up. The renders were pretty cool, because that state of the art stadium would looked beautiful. I think the design was partially based on local archtiecture found in Ramadi/Anbar. It's a shame, moreso when it would have been something the people of Ramadi could have been proud about had life continued to get better.

At least it wasn't people or some historical site, but sadly Iraq has for the billionth time wasted its money in Anbar.

hirokazu

People wonder why Israel has such strict measure put in place, specially in regards to Palestinians. Much of it is discriminatory and not even justified, but if they didn't at least have strict safety measures and those rules that don't discriminate didn't exist then they'd have hundreds of this bombing that happened in Iraq on a daily basis. Let the frequent massacres Palestinian men have done towards Iraqis, a population that gave them a better life be a clear proof of that.

Uh, I don't think Palestinian participation in ISIS justifies discrimination towards the Palestinian people by Israel.

Just as the minority few Muslim extremists who carry out or conspire to carry out terror attacks in the West does not justify Western governments discriminating against all Muslims.

You're talking about screwing over an entire group of people just to catch a few bad guys in their midst. Nope, nope and nope.

The one who drove the truck and blew it up was Palestinian. A week ago or so ISIS released a video showing the Speicher massacre, one of the worst massacres in Iraq in recent times. The video showed another Palestinian executing Shia muslims on the truck. This is not the first time Palestinians have been involved in some of the worst atrocities in Iraq towards Iraqis, something I think the media has been ignoring for a while now.

Why am I bringing this particular point up? Because you have to ask yourself, why are Palestinians killing Iraqis? Iraq was one of the few countries who gave thousands upon thousands of Palestinians a normal life. During Saddam's time Palestinians enjoyed benefits that most of the oppressive Iraqi majority (Shia and Kurds) never got to enjoy. It even went so far that Palestinians who were less qualified in the workplace got paid better than Iraqis who were more qualified merely based on sect (Shia & Sunni). New employees could, and often were, better paid than their own boss simply because:

1. They were Palestinians.
2. Used as a part of Saddam's plans to gain more popularity in the Arab world.
3. They were Sunnis.

The benefit and wealth Palestinians enjoyed which many Iraqis could only dream of in their own country came from those very same Iraqis Palestinians are killing today.

A couple of days ago a massive amount of Iraqi Shia went out to celebrate and support Palestinians and the Palestinian plight in this Al Quds day or whatever it's called. Palestinians responded back by celebrating their love for Saddam and their support for ISIS, and finished the celebration with this bomb that killed 120 people on Eid in Iraq.

This is why I personally will never take, care or even accept the Palestinian plight, because for all the crimes they cry about that Israel doing to them (which happens through Israel's excessive use force) they sure don't mind doing the same (in addition of showing support, sympathy and love for a group like ISIS as well as a dictator like Saddam Hussein) in a country that gave them a better life, killing the very same people that enabled them to have this life they enjoyed.

One day I hope that instead of crying constantly about Israel Palestinians will start looking into their own communities and condemn the atrocities they are doing in Syria and Iraq instead of supporting it and holding (what seem to be rare instances for now..and that might only be because it isn't under-reported) funerals for ISIS members of Palesitnian origin. They cry and protest against Israel, and yet instead of fighting and protecting themselves from them they send their men to do the same thing they cry Israel's military doing, hypocrisy at its best.

One day I also hope that Iraqis will fucking wake up, drop all sympathy, protests and support for Palestinians and not give two fucks about the Palestinian plight as well, because the only thing they've gotten back from it is bullets, bombs and huge massacres.

You are taking the actions of a couple of terrorists from Palestine territories to describe how the entire group of Palestinians are a bunch of ingrates, while at the same time taking the actions of Saddam and applying it to the feelings of the entire country of Iraq. You need a lesson in perspective.

andycapps

Turkey bombs Islamic State targets in Syria. US access to Incirlik airbase
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33646314

This is good news. Glad Turkey is deciding to take a more aggressive stands against Daesh. I can understand why they'd want to stay out of it as long as possible due to the problems with Syria and PKK, but it was a matter of time before they were forced into it. Turkey has a strong military so Daesh stirring them up was a bad thing.

Yamauchi

Banned
YPG fighters have captured the town of Sarrin from ISIS. They have also nearly flushed them out of the city of al-Hasakah.

No doubt one of the reasons Erdogan decided to launch attacks now. Probably didn't want the last bit of the border falling to the YPG. Instead he wants his al-Qaeda / Nusra friends to take over.

Yamauchi

Banned
Oh, pardon me for another 'I told you so' moment. I remember arguing with several of you on here about this topic. The US now has evidence of cooperation between the Islamic State and Turkey.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/26/isis-syria-turkey-us

In the wake of the raid that killed Abu Sayyaf, suspicions of an undeclared alliance have hardened. One senior western official familiar with the intelligence gathered at the slain leader’s compound said that direct dealings between Turkish officials and ranking Isis members was now “undeniable”.

“There are hundreds of flash drives and documents that were seized there,” the official told the Observer. “They are being analysed at the moment, but the links are already so clear that they could end up having profound policy implications for the relationship between us and Ankara.”
Make no mistake. Erdogan is a Hitler-wannabe piece of shit who is sowing seeds of war throughout the region.

Oh, pardon me for another 'I told you so' moment. I remember arguing with several of you on here about this topic. The US now has evidence of cooperation between the Islamic State and Turkey.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/26/isis-syria-turkey-us

Make no mistake. Erdogan is a Hitler-wannabe piece of shit who is sowing seeds of war throughout the region.
And the next paragraph.....

On Thursday, nearly one year into the US-led air campaign against Isis, Turkey dropped its opposition to entering the fray, dispatching fighter jets to its border from where they fired rockets at Isis targets just inside Syria. The attacks were a response to a suicide bombing in the southern province of Suruc, which killed 32 people, and an earlier cross-border attack that killed a Turkish soldier.

The attacks were the first to be blamed on Isis and led to a strong backlash among some sections of Turkish society, where unease at Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s stance towards the insurgency was already running high. Turkey also said it would allow its Incirlik air base to be used as a staging point for attacks against Isis – backing down from its earlier insistence that some form of safe haven first be established inside Syria, in which refugees and mainstream opposition fighters could safely move.

Yamauchi

Banned
Approximately 33 days ago ISIS launched an assault on al-Hasakah. They were able to capture a few regime-held areas, but those areas have now be recaptured by the YPG, and the city today is ISIS free:

CLUFDRmXAAAOaCz.png

Nouri Al Maliki is responsible for the fall of Mosul
900x506.jpg

Who lost Mosul? The question could lead to Iraq’s former prime minister and many top lieutenants facing criminal charges.

Iraqi lawmakers on Monday referred to the public prosecutor a report calling for former Prime Minister Nouri Maliki and other senior civilian and military officials to be held to account for the fall of Iraq’s second-largest city to the militants of Islamic State last summer.

That could ultimately result in trials for dozens of civilian officials, or to courts-martial in the case of military leaders.

The fall of Mosul was a humiliating blow to Iraq’s military, and the biggest triumph yet for Islamic State. The group made that victory the centerpiece of its claim to a caliphate encompassing parts of Syria, Iraq and beyond, in which it has sought to impose its own harsh interpretation of Islam.

Two lawmakers told the Reuters news agency that members of parliament had approved the judicial referral by a voice vote on Monday, implicitly endorsing a panel’s damning report on last summer’s events.

The report blames Maliki for putting corrupt and inept commanders in place, saying that helped set the stage for the Iraqi security forces’ collapse in the face of an assault by a relatively small force of Islamic State fighters.

Also implicated by the parliamentary panel were Mosul’s governor, the former acting defense minister and the provincial police commander.

Mosul’s capture in June 2014 coincided with a systematic campaign of terror in territories seized by Islamic State.
Corrupt scumbag.

US confirms ISIS has used chemical weapons
U.S. military officials in Iraq have issued preliminary confirmation that Islamic State militants used mustard gas in a mortar attack on Kurdish forces in August, a Defense Department official said.

After an Aug. 11 attack that reportedly sickened dozens of Kurdish troops, the Kurds provided U.S. officials with fragments of shells that later tested positive for the presence of "HD, or what is known as sulfur mustard," said Marine Corps Brig. Gen. Kevin J. Killea, chief of staff for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.

The attack occurred in the town of Makhmour in northern Iraq near the front lines of the Kurdish forces' fight against the Islamic State, according to Killea, who briefed reporters at the Pentagon on Friday.

Killea cautioned that this was a "presumptive field test," and further analysis is needed to possibly determine the source of the chemical weapon.

Both Iraq and Syria have in the past maintained stockpiles of chemical weapons, and U.S. officials say it is unclear whether the Islamic State, also known as ISIS and ISIL, has seized any of those weapons.

The HD strain of mustard is listed as a "Schedule I" chemical weapon and is strictly banned under the international treaty known as the Chemical Weapons Convention. When sprayed or released from artillery shells, mustard agents blister skin and can damage lungs if inhaled.

Killea said the potential confirmation of the Islamic State's use of chemical weapons will not necessarily have any impact on U.S. policy.

"We really don't need another reason to hunt down ISIL and kill them wherever we can and whenever we can," he said. "Any indication of the use of a chemical warfare agent, purely from our perspective, reinforces our position that this is an abhorrent group that will kill indiscriminately without any moral or legal code or restraint."

His complete Shiite bias really fucked Iraq.

I don't think Iraq can hold together, it should probably be split into Sunni, Kurd, and Shiite areas. It would be a difficult and probably a bit bloody job to do but it might calm things down.

At the very least, create some provinces/states or something so that everyone has equal and proper representation.

The way it was handled was a complete botch job.

His complete Shiite bias really fucked Iraq.

I don't think Iraq can hold together, it should probably be split into Sunni, Kurd, and Shiite areas. It would be a difficult and probably a bit bloody job to do but it might calm things down.
You can hold Iraq together. They should look to a confessionalism form of governance instead of standard "quota" system...it's the only way an extremely diverse country like Iraq can survive.

ISIS Blows Up Ancient Temple at Syria’s Palmyra Ruins

Militants from the Islamic State destroyed a temple in the ancient ruins of Palmyra in Syria, activists and government officials said on Sunday, continuing a pattern of destruction that they have visited upon historical sites across the territory they control there and in Iraq.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an activist and monitoring group based in Britain, said Sunday in a statement that Islamic State fighters detonated “a large quantity of explosives” that they had arranged around the Temple of Baalshamin, one of the most grand and well-preserved structures in the sprawling complex of ruins. A government official told reporters that it was heavily damaged by the blast.

The temple stood “dozens of meters” away from a Roman amphitheater where the Islamic State held a mass execution, killing 25 prisoners, in a video released last month, the activist group said. The entire ancient city of Palmyra is a Unesco World Heritage site.

Maamoun Abdul-Karim, the head of Syria’s Directorate of Antiquities and Museums, confirmed the activists’ account to Reuters, although the two accounts differed on when the temple was destroyed. The Syrian Observatory said the destruction took place last month, while Dr. Abdul-Karim said the militants bombed it on Sunday.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/24/w...ient-temple-at-syrias-palmyra-ruins.html?_r=0

The strategy of being the biggest dicks on the planet doesn't seem like a good one to me. I really don't get it.

kess

Just tangentially related, but two VICE journalists were arrested in Diyarbakir, Turkey for reporting "without government accreditation".

The media in Turkey and security sources have identified the Vice News employees as Jake Hanrahan and Philip Pendlebury.

Police detained the group in the Baglar area of Diyarbakir province, where they were filming clashes between Turkish security forces and Kurdish militants, security sources told Reuters.

They went on to add that two Britons and their Turkish translator were in close contact with militants from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

Well this picture just popped up on twitter. IS has roasted 4 Shiites to death over flames in response to the hero of the Shiite militias, Abu Azrael, slicing a dead burnt Sunni like a kebab with his sword. I've seen some pretty fucked up things on the Internet but the sight of four men trussed up and suspended over flames in this day and age is just despairing.

Well this picture just popped up on twitter. IS has roasted 4 Shiites to death over flames in response to the hero of the Shiite militias, Abu Azrael, slicing a dead burnt Sunni like a kebab with his sword. I've seen some pretty fucked up things on the Internet but the sight of four men trussed up and suspended over flames in this day and age is just despairing.

Those both sounds equally fucked up. Well, one's more fucked up just by sheer numbers but goddamn, what the fuck are either side doing roasting people alive and then carving them up.

Jesus.

I always imagine them as the fucked up people who see obviously over the top executions or moves in TV or shows and try to do them in real life. I'm not surprised they steal our fucked up people through social media

params7

Banned
I always imagine them as the fucked up people who see obviously over the top executions or moves in TV or shows and try to do them in real life. I'm not surprised they steal our fucked up people through social media

What? Read up on religious persecutions during the medieval ages. Roasting to death in handful of minutes will seem tame compared to what humans have been doing to each other since forever. TV/Hollywood has little to nothing to do with what ISIS are doing. Though they do try to make their footage appeal to the youth on media by adding Hollywood style post processing to the raw snuff footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom