• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damon Lindelof’s Star Wars movie fast-tracked, stand-alone set after the ST (but ST characters may appear)

ManaByte

Gold Member

The secret Star Wars movie project that is being led creatively by Damon Lindelof was thrust into the open Sunday night when it was revealed that Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, who directed two episodes of Ms. Marvel, was on board as helmer.

The project has been in the works for months and while Lindelof is getting the Wookiee-sized share of attention, thanks in no small part to a pedigree that includes co-creating TV sensation Lost and shepherding the acclaimed HBO series Watchmen, he is by no means the only person involved in the project.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Lindelof is writing the new Star Wars script with Justin Britt-Gibson, a young and rising writer who worked as an executive story editor on Guillermo del Toro’s vampire series, The Strain, and wrote episodes of Starz’s The Counterpart, a series that deals with parallel dimensions and starred J.K. Simmons.

Britt-Gibson, however, comes to the job after a secret (it’s always secret with Star Wars, isn’t it?) writers room that began coming together after this year’s Star Wars Celebration. The room held a two-week session in July and at the table were Patrick Somerville, who worked with Lindelof on Leftovers and then went on to create the buzzy Station Eleven; Rayna McClendon, a consulting producing on Lucasfilm’s own Obi-Wan Kenobi and writer on the company’s upcoming Willow series; Andy Greenwald, the creator of the 2019 Rosario Dawson crime drama Briarpatch(and on which McClendon was a story editor), among a couple of other writers.

Dave Filoni, a protégé of Star Wars creator George Lucas who is involved in many of the shows, may have also been present.
Sources say the movie project is intended as a standalone but in success could lead to more movies. That plan goes against the grain of earlier Lucasfilm development process which saw the company try to come up with new trilogies. Now the studio seems to focus on standalone projects.

And sources say that the story would take place after the events of 2019’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, although it would not be a continuation of the Skywalker saga. It could, however, feature some of characters from the Star Wars trilogy made in the 2010s.

As for when Lindelof’s film could drop, December 2025 is the earliest date Disney has carved out on its calendar for a Star Wars feature.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I was interested until the post mentioned the movie took place immediately after the latest trilogy and may include some of the characters.

Difficult People Reaction GIF by HULU

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I wish Disney would just wake up and go “hey the sequels sucked ass. So they’re no longer part of the Star Wars timeline. Let’s try that again but good.”
I remember when people swore Disney would do they to the Prequels.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He's just so hit or miss. He helps make something excellent like The Leftovers, then turns around and produces boring, uninteresting, campy garbage like the HBO Watchmen series.

But whatever. I've been a Star Wars fan since I was four, going to always welcome more movies.
Hes hit and miss but at least seems like a creative guy thats actually trying. I'll keep an eye on it

luxsol

If the sequel characters are just being brought in as cameos, that's pretty shit and will only drag the film down. None of the ST characters were interesting and by the second movie, they were completely ridiculous.
If the movie stars any of them, it's not something I'd like to see.

They really need to try something new, instead of being bogged down trying to continue selling the ST merch and the Disney park.

Considering companies like Hasbro have all but stopped producing that shit, i would have thought Disney had given up on that part of the series too. For the past 25 years, Hasbro had been releasing a mix of merch from the OT, PT, to comics, to video games, to park characters, to the cartoon series, and even the Holiday Special. With the sequel stuff, Hasbro basically hasn't released any of those characters after the ST ended. So everything else has gotten toys made after years and even decades after they were released.
I think that just shows how unpopular all the ST characters actually are, as Hasbro (and companies like NPD) has sales data on what sells and what doesn't. If kids and manchildren aren't buying those ST toys, why continue forcing ST shit? Yeah yeah, Disney Park they spent hundreds of millions on and royalties for Abrams, but it's a squandered chance to create something new that isn't bogged down by disinterest and hate.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
If the sequel characters are just being brought in as cameos, that's pretty shit and will only drag the film down. None of the ST characters were interesting and by the second movie, they were completely ridiculous.
If the movie stars any of them, it's not something I'd like to see.

They really need to try something new, instead of being bogged down trying to continue selling the ST merch and the Disney park.

Considering companies like Hasbro have all but stopped producing that shit, i would have thought Disney had given up on that part of the series too. For the past 25 years, Hasbro had been releasing a mix of merch from the OT, PT, to comics, to video games, to park characters, to the cartoon series, and even the Holiday Special. With the sequel stuff, Hasbro basically hasn't released any of those characters after the ST ended. So everything else has gotten toys made after years and even decades after they were released.
I think that just shows how unpopular all the ST characters actually are, as Hasbro (and companies like NPD) has sales data on what sells and what doesn't. If kids and manchildren aren't buying those ST toys, why continue forcing ST shit? Yeah yeah, Disney Park they spent hundreds of millions on and royalties for Abrams, but it's a squandered chance to create something new that isn't bogged down by disinterest and hate.
If Disney would have handed the baton off better instead of shtting on the original trilogy characters maybe fans would like the st characters better.

luxsol

If Disney would have handed the baton off better instead of shtting on the original trilogy characters maybe fans would like the st characters better.
I think that's mostly superfluous, where it doesn't actually matter when it came to the actual hate and disinterest people have for the ST.

Most hate i've seen for the ST is mostly just over the ST characters being wasted and given nothing to do. The first movie held some promise, where the characters could actually grow into better characters, but people hated how Rey was the only character that seemed to do anything. I'm sure you saw that macro that shows the OT characters labeled as Pilot, Mechanic, Leader, Knight for the main stars, while the ST has all those labeled just for Rey?

Go look at the prequels and how much hate they got. Yet characters like Anakin was still a popular toy, along with Obi Wan, Yoda, and many others who also got ridiculed. They were popular because each character DID something, unlike wild goose chase Boyega and his crazy not-GF, who was given a nothing role in the last movie. So prequel characters were liked because of their actions and designs, even if they were laughable. They did cool shit, unlike most of the ST characters, so those PT characters are still popular today.
Obviously, Rey did shit too, but Rey's was groan worthy with her doing it 10x better than previously seen. Basically video game-y or Gennedy's Clone Wars exaggerated abilities, but video games and an over the top cartoon can get away with that because they're video games and cartoons.

Anyway, point is, the Sequel Trilogy, it's characters, it's designs, and story are what people formed their opinions on. For a whole new generation, kids don't really seem to give a shit. They watched a movie and once it was over they forgot about it. Disinterest, even inbetween the movies.
Three whole movies were wasted on uninteresting ridiculous characters and it gets hate for those reasons. Shitting on the OT and PT? That's just a niggling side issue.

And don't get me started on boring rehashed vehicles from the ST. Whereas the PT and OT have a shit ton vehicles that fans gush about and spend hundreds of millions of dollars on toys of because they were completely new and exciting to look at.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I think that's mostly superfluous, where it doesn't actually matter when it came to the actual hate and disinterest people have for the ST.

Most hate i've seen for the ST is mostly just over the ST characters being wasted and given nothing to do. The first movie held some promise, where the characters could actually grow into better characters, but people hated how Rey was the only character that seemed to do anything. I'm sure you saw that macro that shows the OT characters labeled as Pilot, Mechanic, Leader, Knight for the main stars, while the ST has all those labeled just for Rey?

Go look at the prequels and how much hate they got. Yet characters like Anakin was still a popular toy, along with Obi Wan, Yoda, and many others who also got ridiculed. They were popular because each character DID something, unlike wild goose chase Boyega and his crazy not-GF, who was given a nothing role in the last movie. So prequel characters were liked because of their actions and designs, even if they were laughable. They did cool shit, unlike most of the ST characters, so those PT characters are still popular today.
Obviously, Rey did shit too, but Rey's was groan worthy with her doing it 10x better than previously seen. Basically video game-y or Gennedy's Clone Wars exaggerated abilities, but video games and an over the top cartoon can get away with that because they're video games and cartoons.

Anyway, point is, the Sequel Trilogy, it's characters, it's designs, and story are what people formed their opinions on. For a whole new generation, kids don't really seem to give a shit. They watched a movie and once it was over they forgot about it. Disinterest, even inbetween the movies.
Three whole movies were wasted on uninteresting ridiculous characters and it gets hate for those reasons. Shitting on the OT and PT? That's just a niggling side issue.

And don't get me started on boring rehashed vehicles from the ST. Whereas the PT and OT have a shit ton vehicles that fans gush about and spend hundreds of millions of dollars on toys of because they were completely new and exciting to look at.
I think it's a combination of both but yeah the sequel characters were wasted especially Finn

Last edited:

luxsol

I agree the sequel characters were wasted especially Finn
I'm glad that Boyega seems to have burned his bridge with Disney, because they did him a huge fucking dirty.

It's insulting to see a co-star do so little in three entire movies... .or was he even a co-star?

When i think of the ST, I don't remember an ensemble cast, like the OT or PT, but a bunch of background characters doing random shit that doesn't matter just to lengthen the run time of the movie when Rey isn't on screen.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm glad that Boyega seems to have burned his bridge with Disney, because they did him a huge fucking dirty.

It's insulting to see a co-star do so little in three entire movies... .or was he even a co-star?

When i think of the ST, I don't remember an ensemble cast, like the OT or PT, but a bunch of background characters doing random shit that doesn't matter just to lengthen the run time of the movie when Rey isn't on screen.
Yeah, I remember thinking he was going to be the protagonist or a jedi. Man, did we get hoodwinked or what?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The ST characters weren't the problem... The writing was. The scripts were atrocious with a few small pockets of fun over 3 movies.

Fin was supposed to be Force Sensitive
Poe should have been written smarter
Rey was... A child.
Rose was done dirty
Luke, Leia, Han, Chewey, 3PO and R2 deserved better... ALL the characters deserved better.

Almost all of the ST characters were written with poor dialogue and put in ridiculous situations with barely any direction towards a cohesive story.

The writers had no daggone imagination nor respect for WHERE the galaxy could be at that time. No... They basically ape the OT plot for plot.

The ST characters weren't the problem... The writing was. The scripts were atrocious with a few small pockets of fun over 3 movies.

Fin was supposed to be Force Sensitive
Poe should have been written smarter
Rey was... A child.
Rose was done dirty
Luke, Leia, Han, Chewey, 3PO and R2 deserved better... ALL the characters deserved better.

Almost all of the ST characters were written with poor dialogue and put in ridiculous situations with barely any direction towards a cohesive story.

The writers had no daggone imagination nor respect for WHERE the galaxy could be at that time. No... They basically ape the OT plot for plot.
The characters are part of the writing. But I an surprised that you are openly criticising Disney movies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
He's just so hit or miss. He helps make something excellent like The Leftovers, then turns around and produces boring, uninteresting, campy garbage like the HBO Watchmen series.

But whatever. I've been a Star Wars fan since I was four, going to always welcome more movies.

I never understood the hype about the watchmen tv show. It’s super boring, barely watchable stuff.

Ionian

Why don't they use George Lucas as a consultant for some of this new shit? Better yet, retcon the sequel trilogy, and use George Lucas's idea that was rejected.

I don't remember his idea, just that it was dumb. Something to do with the wils? Couldn't have been worse and I liked the first 2 sequels, last film shit all over any previous good will though. Didn't even bother going to the cinema and I was fanatical as a kid born in the 70's, spent all my pocket money on the toys, still have them as well.

Jinzo Prime

So they're going with one of the worst writers in Holywood, and a no-name director whose claim to fame is 2 episodes of a children's tv show?

fuck-you-middle-finger.gif

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The characters are part of the writing. But I an surprised that you are openly criticising Disney movies.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan... I've been criticizing these movies all this time! The only decent one was Force Awakens. And that one was RIDDLED with issues.

The characters are NOT part of the writing. The writing is the writing. The script should have done better by all the characters. Growth should have happened with all of them after FA. They didn't do that.

If the characters were part of the writing, then every character ever would be unchanged across sequels and reboots and requels. The WRITING makes the character. Ergo, the writing is the problem.

Fbh

Can't wait for more Lindelof mystery box bullshit with an unsatisfying conclusion as they pretend it was "always about the characters, not the mystery".
At least being set after the main events gives them a bit more freedom, but I wish we'd finally leave the "Skywalker" era behind.

Ionian

Don't think I'm looking forward to anything new apart from Ashoka after her appearance in the Boba Fett show, the duel was awesome. Or was it Mando? don' remember.

Edit: was Mando.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
What was a good movie that was Rushed? Or are they just fast tracking it because all their other movies fell off the schedule so they need something in the pipeline.

Shoot on location, and don't use the volume.

NickFire

I just hope they make the post ST movies for people who are actual fans of Star Wars. No more chasing phantom audiences. No more chastising the audience with grandmothers who don't need fighter pilots doing their thing. Just make a darn Star Wars movie for the actual Star Wars fans and enjoy the profits.

Tams

So the pedigree here is Lost, Watchmen, and two episodes of Ms. Marvel... A whole two fucking episodes! WOW!

Dumpster fire already.

NickFire

So the pedigree here is Lost, Watchmen, and two episodes of Ms. Marvel... A whole two fucking episodes! WOW!

Dumpster fire already.
I'm trying real hard to be cautiously optimistic. Seeing Lost and Ms. Marvel experience does not make it harder. Seeing Watchmen experience makes it hard though. Experience with a huge hit with critics, but fan ratings about 1/2 of critics, and cancellation of new "hit" show after just one season is a bad omen IMO. Suggests the story will be more like 8 than Mando. Really hoping time proves me wrong.

I don't remember his idea, just that it was dumb. Something to do with the wils? Couldn't have been worse and I liked the first 2 sequels, last film shit all over any previous good will though. Didn't even bother going to the cinema and I was fanatical as a kid born in the 70's, spent all my pocket money on the toys, still have them as well.

Top Bottom