• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

I would say Danganronpa 2 definitely improves on those two things.

That's what I've heard. Really excited to get to that. Have read so many spoilers by accident over the years though. I hope I'm not spoiled on the big twist that everyone hypes up - have no clue if I am or not.

Got spoiled on a plot point of Danganronpa V3, and fuck you Kodaka for that kind of bullshit writing. You'll see what I'm angry about when it comes out. English OT will rage.

Ending is a love or hate it kind of deal too apparently. I don't know it or anything so I can't say which camp I fall into. Oh, I will discuss when the English OT goes up. I will discuss when I reach that part. Just need some context first. Going to play more XCOM 2: Shoot and miss aliens and your squad feels despair simulator.

BTA

Beyond already knowing the sentiments posted above and someone casually posting here what the V stands for (which... may or may not be a spoiler? I haven't seen it openly stated otherwise though), I've been pretty much unspoiled for V3 so I'm excited for the wild ride. I don't think it can hurt me like ZTD did so as long as it's ridiculous and not gross I will probably be into whatever it pulls.

I'll reserve judgement for now. However my gut feeling is that I hate how they did it. They could have pulled it off better. I might love the rest of the game regardless. We'll see.

W-00

Got spoiled on a plot point of Danganronpa V3, and fuck you Kodaka for that kind of bullshit writing. You'll see what I'm angry about when it comes out. English OT will rage.

If its the same plot point I've been spoiled on, that was roughly my reaction, too. I even cancelled my preorder over it.

But after a few days I calmed down and preordered again. Hopefully, being forewarned, I won't be as furious when actually playing the game as I would have been if it blindsided me.

I just found this thread and the first thing I read is that someone got spoiled with V3. And I can guess with what more or less, because I also got spoiled.

I'm not raging at the fact they did it at all, I'm raging at how they did it. Ugh. I can think of better ways on how they could have approached it.

BTA

Ok I'm bowing back out of this thread because it looks like the sentiment is getting a little more specific.

I'll see you in the OT/spoiler thread after I finish it, likely near the end of October.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got the email stating NISA will start billing pre-orders for V3 next week on the 12th.

I hope that whoever ends up delivering it (I recall it's just USPS) won't have any issues & makes me have to wait an extra day to pick it up.

BTA

Got the email stating NISA will start billing pre-orders for V3 next week on the 12th.

I hope that whoever ends up delivering it (I recall it's just USPS) won't have any issues & makes me have to wait an extra day to pick it up.

(I'm back in briefly and) I really really hope there's nothing like the UDG clusterfuck again.

Sure waited all that extra time (such that then classes started so I took way longer to finish it) for an LE with worthless things and a bad game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heads up, billing for V3 has started, I just saw the pending charge on my bank account.

Thank goodness the next two weeks will be made easier with Metroid & MvC Infinite.

I'd love to get the game on Vita but I'm not sure if I want to let go of HENkaku, and Steam's regional pricing will make the game like half the price I'd pay for the Vita version (not counting shipping and customs).

Liked the demo on PC so I'll be getting it on there.

Man I'm looking forward to this shit.

Neither DR1 or DR2 managed to pull off their endings without
going with a contrived-as-hell, stupidly insane excuse and mastermind
(DR1) or
contradicting the entire meaning of and the weight behind the "final choice" of graduation/staying inside just to have a happy "We were saved by power of friendship and Chiaki!" ending
(DR2), so I learned to never expect much from this series regarding wrapping up the story with a properly executed, good main twist.

So I'm just expecting something batshit insane and narratively shit from V3's ending, and see my favorite characters die in the meantime.
Hoshi and Tojo PLEASE survive ;_;

Edit: Also yeah Zero Time Dilemma hurt me so fucking much that sequels to any franchise have to earn my emotional engagement now.

daevious

Knowing what V3's ending is, I think it's well executed. However, it's executed in a way that most people will despise on principle alone. And that's OK.

Puruzi

Banned
I'm just gonna go ahead and say that the ending is probably not what most of the people in this thread that are mad is what they're upset about. It might be but I doubt it.

Ending's great.

pariah164

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that the ending is probably not what most of the people in this thread that are mad is what they're upset about. It might be but I doubt it.

Ending's great.
I can't fucking wait. Been looking forward to this game all year.

Zeroro

Without knowing anything about the ending, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love it.

There is one thing that I spoiled myself on back when the game first came out that I'm a bit miffed at, though.

Man I'm looking forward to this shit.

Neither DR1 or DR2 managed to pull off their endings without
going with a contrived-as-hell, stupidly insane excuse and mastermind
(DR1) or
contradicting the entire meaning of and the weight behind the "final choice" of graduation/staying inside just to have a happy "We were saved by power of friendship and Chiaki!" ending
(DR2), so I learned to never expect much from this series regarding wrapping up the story with a properly executed, good main twist.

So I'm just expecting something batshit insane and narratively shit from V3's ending, and see my favorite characters die in the meantime.
Hoshi and Tojo PLEASE survive ;_;

Edit: Also yeah Zero Time Dilemma hurt me so fucking much that sequels to any franchise have to earn my emotional engagement now.

I agree with this. I actually feel that both final chapters for D1/D2 are worse than the chapters that come before them. They are still ok and enjoyable, once you can accept the nuances around it.

If anything, from what I gather from comments here and out is that the twist and content of the final chapter causes division among players, not because the actual content is badly written or the execution is poor, but because it literally made people angry. If that's the case I would probably enjoy it regardless of what I really think of it.

I don't think is going to be like Zero Time Dilemma. The biggest problem I had with that game was the waste of potential coming from VLR. The ending was poorly written and bad excuted in that case, but ironically that didn't matter to me that much.

GSR

V3's ending is a weird thing for me where I get what Kodaka is going for and I appreciate how it's executed in-game, I'm just not buying what he's selling at all.

The other plot thing that has people frustrated is, well, frustrating lol.

I agree with this. I actually feel that both final chapters for D1/D2 are worse than the chapters that come before then. They are still ok and enjoyable, once you can accept the nuances around it.

I always found this funny. The penultimate cases in DR1 and DR2 were so much better than the last ones in each of those games (especially for DR2).

(General DR spoilers)
It probably due to how forced the state of the outside world is. Case 5 in both DR1 and DR2 felt more personal because it is basically the culmination of everyone's character arcs. The final cases of both games are just "let's find the truth of why we are in this situation" which doesn't really work as well when that truth is kinda laid out as a side detail.

caliph95

I always found this funny. The penultimate cases in DR1 and DR2 were so much better than the last ones in each of those games (especially for DR2).

(General DR spoilers)
It probably due to how forced the state of the outside world is. Case 5 in both DR1 and DR2 felt more personal because it is basically the culmination of everyone's character arcs. The final cases of both games are just "let's find the truth of why we are in this situation" which doesn't really work as well when that truth is kinda laid out as a side detail.
It is partly because the last cases are basically half exposition to explain the Plot and the setting

BTA

I don't know how much I like knowing that I'll probably be annoyed at the ending + whatever other thing you're talking about but hopefully that just means it won't be as frustrating if/when it does happen...?

And I'm going in with low expectations after UDG/3, so even if I'm bothered there's no way it can hurt me like ZTD.

Lusankya

This happened during the last Nintendo Direct (game is Attack on Titan):

6BgrG28.jpg

AniHawk

This better not be Zero Time Dilemma levels of crap.

zero time dilemma had shit cutscene direction, shit voice direction, shit writing, shit characters, shit pacing, and didn't care about where it came from or where it was going. it felt like it was made out of an obligation than any real desire.

while v3 is probably made out a similar feeling of obligation, i think the ending (which i know but haven't seen in context), does at least have some kind of meaning.

also, the whole zero escape series meant more to me than the characters. there is a strength in the design of 999 that isn't present in its sequels, but they try to mimic it in vlr at least. to me, danganronpa is more about the mystery and the characters, which seems to be pretty intact with this new game.

BTA

Just got an email from NISA.

Apparently PayPal didn't let their payment go through? And now it's not lending me send money either. Ughhhh I'm dealing with PayPal's customer support right now but I'm expecting to hear "lol talk to your bank" even though there's no way that's the problem.

I'm playing the V3 demo right now and the English voice acting is so muffled. Is that intentional? I have it at the highest volume and it's still hard to make everything out.

I hope the actual game isn't like that.

I'm playing the V3 demo right now and the English voice acting is so muffled. Is that intentional? I have it at the highest volume and it's still hard to make everything out.

I hope the actual game isn't like that.

The audio quality is pretty bad, even the JP version had to have a patch to add in higher quality voices. We'll be getting it too when the game launches thankfully. Though I doubt anything else will be done to make the rest of the game any less noticeably compressed...

BTA

I completely forgot to call support yesterday to deal with billing issues so I guess I have to call on Monday after work and hope.

I know they said they wouldn't be shipping things till Wednesday but I really don't want to get this late just because PayPal arbitrarily decided not to let me pay them.

Puruzi

Banned
Heads up for people that really want to remain unspoiled, some people apparently have the game early. Someone i'm subbed to just uploaded the full prologue in english so it seems to be out there.

GSR

Heads up for people that really want to remain unspoiled, some people apparently have the game early. Someone i'm subbed to just uploaded the full prologue in english so it seems to be out there.

Review copies have been out for a week or two, so maybe that person just broke embargo?

Top Bottom