• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danish TV show that pairs kids and naked adults slammed as depraved

Bullet Club

Danish TV show that pairs kids and naked adults slammed as depraved

mxDiODI.jpg

On one TV show, the truth is actually naked.

In Denmark, an award-winning television program called “Ultra Strips Down,” puts nude adults in front of school-age children.

The series allows its young participants, ages 11 to 13, to ask the grown-up volunteers whatever questions are on their minds in order to promote body positivity and combat body-shaming, according to the New York Times.

Despite Denmark’s relatively permissive attitude towards nudity and its well-intentioned mission, the show, now in its second season on a channel called DR Ultra, has sparked backlash. One politician even said it is “depraving our children.”

A recent episode, which focused on skin and hair, placed students from Copenhagen’s Orestad School in the company of five buck-naked adults. The series’ creators want to challenge the idea that there are perfect body types.

“At what age did you grow hair on the lower part of your body?” one kid asked, per the Times, while another queried, “Do you consider removing your tattoos?” A third participant went deeper: “Are you pleased with your private parts?”

One of the adults, named Martin, responded he’d never had negative thoughts about them. Another man, also named Martin, said he worried about the size of his privates when he was younger. “But the relationship with myself has changed over time,” he added.

Despite the show’s popularity in Denmark — a nation where nudity isn’t as taboo or sensitive as it can be in other parts of the world — it has still attracted criticism.

A leading member of the right-wing Danish People’s Party, Peter Skaarup, reportedly claimed the show “is far too early for children” and is even “depraving” them. He told a Danish tabloid that kids “already have many thing running around in their heads.”

Viewers have vented their frustrations beneath a clip of the show posted on DR Ultra’s Facebook page. While a number of commenters voiced their support, others stood in clear opposition to the series’ central concept: exposing children to naked adult bodies.

“F–k this is disgusting!” wrote one woman, according to a translation, while another said, “Would you please remove that s–t? … you’re out in deep water.”

To the latter, the channel responded, “What a comment … It’s educational TV for kids and families who can have healthy talk about what bodies look like.”

This debate over appropriateness with minors comes in the wake of the controversy surrounding the French film “Cuties,” which debuted on Netflix in early September. The movie follows a Senegalese immigrant in Paris who adapts to French culture, and by doing so rebels against her family’s traditional values. But critics slammed the film for its perceived sexualization of little girls, specifically its portrayal of a group of 11-year-old dancers who wear skimpy outfits.

“Ultra Strips Down” host Jannik Schow, who also helped develop it, told the Times its overarching aim is educational.

“Perhaps some people are like, ‘Oh, my God, they are combining nakedness and kids,’ ” said Schow, 29. “But this has nothing to do with sex, it’s about seeing the body as natural, the way kids do.”

The show’s first season, aired in 2019, won an award for best children’s program at the Danish TV Festival. The 2020 season will have total five episodes centering on different topics. Kids must have parental consent to appear on the program; the middle schoolers and volunteers are not shown in a single shot; producers often check in with the students to make sure they feel comfortable.

For its part, “Ultra Strips Down” casts grown-up volunteers of different shapes, ages, races and genders. One volunteer has dwarfism, while another is a transgender adult who had a vasectomy and prefers “they/them” pronouns.

After the taping of the skin and hair episode, the school kids sat outside the studio to go over their impressions. They admitted to the Times they initially giggled at the concept, but that they all learned something.

Sonya Chakrabarty Geckler, 11, said that “she felt more confident about her own body now.”

“I’m not used to seeing volunteers butt naked and asking them questions,” 13-year-old Ida Engelhardt Gundersen told the Times. “But we learned about the body and about how other people feel about their bodies.”

Source: NY Post

RTBXJHX.gif

Keihart

Bro, it's children.
i don't know man, things are pretty different around the world without necessarily being perverse. I mean, isn't it common in Japan for example to take naked baths with your children until certain age to form skinship? That shit would look like pedophilia almost in the states.

Don't know how to feel about the show honestly but it does sound like a pretty out there concept.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i don't know man, things are pretty different around the world without necessarily being perverse. I mean, isn't it common in Japan for example to take naked baths with your children until certain age to form skinship? That shit would look like pedophilia almost in the states.

Don't know how to feel about the show honestly but it does sound like a pretty out there concept.

And Japan also has an underage / schoolgirl fetish...

Either way, I don't subscribe to CULTure when it comes to normalization of adults showing their junk to children. The most degenerate will always creep into those folds of protection.

oagboghi2

Honestly euros seem to have a lot healthier relationship with nudity than we do so I won't be so quick to judge others
What is a healthy relationship with nudity? What does that even fucking mean.

I'm not being healthy when I wear my clothes apparently.

That's mostly parents with their very young kids. Not complete strangers on a t.v. show

Last edited:

Keihart

What is a healthy relationship with nudity? What does that even fucking mean.

I'm not being healthy when I wear my clothes apparently.

That's mostly parents with their very young kids. Not complete strangers on a t.v. show
Yeah, i know, i was just making an example of things being very different between cultures without being perverse necessarily.
I'm not saying that this show it's exactly a good idea, but i also don't think that our perspective on the matter it's precisely the correct one.

If a 11-13 year old wants to participate in this, then I don't see the problem. 11-13 you're getting showered with this shit in videos in school anyways. My fear is more that they're getting pressured to participate, because I would in no way go on TV to watch a naked guy answering question about his body. I can't imagine anyone going "yeah, sure I wanna do that" and suspect eager attention seeking parents pushing them into this. I mean, in public swimming arenas you'll have naked old fuckers standing around in the wardrobe. And in Europe you're usually accustomed to shower naked in a big shower room before you're going swimming in the pool. Seeing a naked dude is pretty normal in that sense. Making a show about it is pretty weird though and since it's facing both genders it's very different, as you won't see a naked members of the opposite sex. The fact that these are old farts also makes me question what the hell the point is? Is it "you could/will look like this, so be glad with what you've got". I guess that's sort of a body positivity, though likely not what they intended. Just seems like a big pointless attention-seeking thing, since most of the questions could just as well be asked your father or mother.

sobaka770

Banned
Huh, I guess that show could be quite interesting. It's not sexualised, it's just brutally honest and if it's culturally okay it's a very interesting premise. Especially if kids say they learned something from it.

I never understood the US aversion to nudity especially as this one is not sexualised as it seems.

spons

Gold Member
Dutch public access television announced their own version of this today. First thing I googled was whether it was some kind of elaborate April fools joke. Unfortunately, it's just more degeneracy. The reference to Cuties is laughable though. That's the most innocent movie ever compared to some of the shit that airs on TV here, ranging from penises shown to kids, to minors explaining in detail that they'd rather have sex after a sexologist (don't ask, more Euro bullshit) asks how many times they masturbate a week.

StormCell

The only thing I see wrong with this is forcing kids 11-13 to look at ugly naked adults and ask questions. It's inhumane. Children that age shouldn't have to look at anything over the age of like 22!

G-Bus

Banned
Oh no! Naked bodies! So depraved.

It's weird but at the same time I don't see the problem? Just naked people standing their taking questions from kids.

Considering how sexualized media is in general, where small piece of fabric can cover a couple areas and we're good to go. We're bombarded with that shit.

I guess they could have little covers for the genitals. I don't know. Oh my god a penis! Childhood ruined.

JSoup

Banned
It's actually pretty impressive how far they went in making sure everyone was screened and everyone was comfortable every step of the way.
And in principle, I see where they were going with this. Mostly what G-Bus said above.
Still gonna give it a mid-level yikes.

nkarafo

What's GAFs opinion on nudist camps? They should be a lot worse because there, both adult strangers and kids are nude. I wonder what the fine line is with this stuff.

IMo, humans assosiating nudity with sex was a mistake. Can't go back now. I wonder how it started because it doesn't make a logical sense if you think about it.

Hydelol

Banned
I don't care what adults do sexually but leave the children out of it. This society is just sick and children are and will always be the victims. But who exactly is surprised by this? When everything is about sex, your sexuality etc..
Who gives a shit if you fuck dudes as a dude? I don't run around and scream that I am straight. Just don't annoy me with YOUR PRIVATE life.

John2290

No matter what angle you look at this it's still fucked up. Even take away the whole production side and put it in an educational setting, it's still fucked in the head.

Man, mcDonalds and all these multibillion dollar beauty product companies went to far with the body positivity thing, it seemed in the first few years it was just one of those things that got into womens heads for a while and then it'd fade out but this is different and dangerous. The women started grouping together to make their own organizations and it's seeped into the mind of millions and it's not going to go away, they've made it bullet proof.

I for one can't wait until big Pharma come up with a cancer campaign that encourages people to stay sick and take all the drugs short of chemo, radiation and surgery because...ugh, it's the better gamble and you'll live a longer more comfortable life statistically that someone who chanced chemo didn't pull out the other side. "Oxycontin! We can keep you living well, for longer."

Fucking cyber dystopia.

Kimahri

Banned
The thing many people from the US don't seem to get is that nudity and sexuality is seen very differently in Europe. Sure, there are puritans terrified by naked skin here too, but nudity in and of itself is much more common. We can watch stupid shows like Naked Attraction completely uncensored for example, while something made in the US will always cencor the most inane shit.

And why? Who sexualizes something more? The Americans who blurr out the nipple to make everyone know that this is a forbidden thing, or the Europeans who just leave it there for all to see, not drawing any attention to it?

What is fucked up is people thinking nudity is fucked up. Just reflects on your own distorted views on the bodies we're all born with.

Nudity and Sexuality are not the same thing.

No matter what angle you look at this it's still fucked up. Even take away the whole production side and put it in an educational setting, it's still fucked in the head.

Man, mcDonalds and all these multibillion dollar beauty product companies went to far with the body positivity thing, it seemed in the first few years it was just one of those things that got into womens heads for a while and then it'd fade out but this is different and dangerous. The women started grouping together to make their own organizations and it's seeped into the mind of millions and it's not going to go away, they've made it bullet proof.

I for one can't wait until big Pharma come up with a cancer campaign that encourages people to stay sick and take all the drugs short of chemo, radiation and surgery because...ugh, it's the better gamble and you'll live a longer more comfortable life statistically that someone who chanced chemo didn't pull out the other side. "Oxycontin! We can keep you living well, for longer."

Fucking cyber dystopia.
You seem to have a thing against women.

Top Bottom