• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctors on a leading "transgender healthcare body" have admitted that patients have developed cancer + more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z O N E

So a huge set of files from WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health) was leaked and showed that even the Doctors with the most knowledge around Transgender Healthcare have admitted that even trans patients don't understand the consequences of gender reassignment.

One doctor talked about a transgender person who died of cancer as a result of his hormone treatment.

“I have one transition friend/colleague who, after about eight to 10 years of [testosterone] developed hepatocarcinoma [a form of liver cancer],” the doctor wrote.

“To the best of my knowledge, it was linked to his hormone treatment… it was so advanced that he opted for palliative care and died a couple of months later.”

It’s not clear from the documents if the person who died was made aware or knew about the side effect.

‘Living (presumably) happily ever after’
Another said they would go ahead with a double mastectomy (called “top surgery”) on a 16-year-old girl even though hormones had likely given her liver cancer.

“The oncologist and surgeon both have indicated that the likely offending agent(s) are the hormones,” the doctor wrote. “We are prepared to support the patient in any way we can (e.g. top surgery when medically stable, etc).”

A gender therapist said they had only turned one person down for treatment in 15 years.

“I have also intervened on behalf of people who have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, complex post-traumatic stress disorder, homeless and got at least an orchiectomy [testicle removal],” they said.

“In the last 15 years, I had to regrettably decline writing only one letter, mainly because the person evaluated was in active psychosis and hallucinated during the assessment session.

“Other than that – nothing – everyone got their assessment letter, insurance approval, and are living (presumably) happily ever after.”

A number of doctors admitted that their patients often did not understand the ramifications of hormone treatment or surgery – such as developing facial hair.

A child psychologist said in a leaked email featured in the report: “[It is] out of their developmental range to understand the extent to which some of these medical interventions are impacting them.

“They’ll say they understand, but then they’ll say something else that makes you think, oh, they didn’t really understand that they are going to have facial hair.”

‘Neither science nor medicine’
The contents of the forum was leaked to Michael Shellenberger, a US writer and journalist.

“The WPATH Files show that what is called ‘gender medicine’ is neither science nor medicine,” he said.

“The experiments are not randomised, double-blind, or controlled. It’s not medicine since the first rule is to do no harm. And that requires informed consent.

“Activist members of WPATH know that the so-called ‘gender-affirming care’ they provide can result in life-long complications and sterility and that their patients do not understand the implications, such as loss of sexual function and the ability to experience orgasm.

“These leaked files show overwhelming evidence that the professionals within WPATH know that they are not getting consent from children, adolescents, and vulnerable adults, or their caregivers.”

WPATH is made up of doctors, psychologists, therapists and activists and although it has some UK members it is based in the US. It is best known for its “standards of care” guidelines which the NHS in England was previously aligned with.

Well, well ,well...

Who knew that allowing kids to take drugs that no one knows what'll do to them, would give them mental illnesses, cancer or death.

humor situation GIF by BestTech

Leave them kids alone!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Changing gender is no question a dramatic change and could bring you a lot of complications.

Cyberpunkd

Who knew that allowing kids to take drugs that no one knows what'll do to them, would give them mental illnesses, cancer or death.
There is a video on YT asking people if 15 year old should get a tattoo - all of them reply that is way too young for someone to decide.
Then they ask if a 15 year old should choose their gender and start transition treatment - all of them said yes, some of them even said “they know it makes them hipocrites”.

Lilly Singh Hello GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

Mistake

Is there a study linked? I can't get the page to show me the article.

If it's just anecdotes, then it's irrelevant.
I agree anecdotes are not the most useful, but it's been long established that hormone therapy can cause or be used to treat cancer, not to mention other issues.
Here's some examples

Androgens help prostate cancer cells grow. The main androgens in the body are testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Most androgens are made by the testicles, but the adrenal glands (glands that sit above your kidneys), as well as the prostate cancer cells themselves, can also make androgens.

Lowering androgen levels or stopping them from getting into prostate cancer cells can often make prostate cancers shrink or grow more slowly for a time. But hormone therapy alone doesn’t cure prostate cancer, and many cancers become resistant to hormone therapy over time.
The researchers’ findings also supported previously known links between testosterone and prostate cancer in men, and breast and endometrial cancer in postmenopausal women.
Testosterone replacement is unadvised in women with breast or uterine cancer. It also may increase the chances of cardiovascular disease or liver disease. So, experts are cautious about recommendations.

Z O N E

Is there a study linked? I can't get the page to show me the article.

If it's just anecdotes, then it's irrelevant.

It's information that came directly from the Doctors in charge of the Transgender Healthcare Body, so if you can't trust their information... then whose information do you trust?

You really don't need a study to tell you that HRT DOES negatively impact the body. It's all out there, but people are called "transphobes" if they mention it when talking about it to anyone. Lol

nush

Copied for those blocked

Risk of breast cancer rises 46 times for trans women after hormone therapy, study shows​

Sarah Knapton, SCIENCE EDITOR

Compared to men the risk of breast cancer was far higher for trans women

Trans women who undergo sex change procedures must be warned that their risk of developing breast cancer increases by 46 times, in comparison to men.
A new study of more than 2,000 women who had transitioned from men showed that around 1 in 200 developed breast cancer compared to fewer than one in 8,000 of men.
Although the risk was around one third less than naturally born women, experts from the Netherlands said it was important that doctors and patients were aware of the increased threat, which is likely to be caused by injections of female hormones.

Lead author Dr Martin den Heijer of Amsterdam University Medical Centre, said: “We do believe that it is important that possible risks and side-effects of the hormone treatment are openly discussed with the people who receive this treatment.
“This enables trans women to make educated decisions about the treatment. In our practice, we advise trans women to participate in the population- based screening program for breast cancer.”
Around 55,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer in Britain each year and there are approximately 11,000 deaths. But gender reassignment is on the rise with some NHS trusts such as Imperial in London carrying out 250 operations a year, compared to just 54 across the whole health service in 2000.

Previous studies have shown that hormone replacement therapy (HRT) increases the risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women, which could suggest a similarly increased risk in trans women receiving hormone treatment, the authors said.
Of the 22,60 trans women involved in the study 15 cases of invasive breast cancer were diagnosed at an average age of 50 years and after an average 18 years of hormone therapy.

However the researchers said it was still unclear whether some of the breast cancer cases were also caused by genes or lifestyle factors, as the team only had genetic information for one trans-gender woman in the study, who turned out to carry a mutation in the BRCA gene which causes breast cancer.
Writing in the BMJ the authors concluded that “it would be worthwhile for future studies to investigate in more detail the cause of breast cancer in transgender people receiving hormone treatment.”
The study also showed that transgender men had a lower risk compared with the general female population.
In 1,229 trans men, four cases of invasive breast cancer were identified at an average age of 47 years and after an average 15 years of hormone treatment.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I agree anecdotes are not the most useful, but it's been long established that hormone therapy can cause or be used to treat cancer, not to mention other issues.
Here's some examples

Thanks for sharing, this is infinitely more helpful.

It's information that came directly from the Doctors in charge of the Transgender Healthcare Body, so if you can't trust their information... then whose information do you trust?

You really don't need a study to tell you that HRT DOES negatively impact the body. It's all out there, but people are called "transphobes" if they mention it when talking about it to anyone. Lol
I'm not trying to weigh in--just stating that the article isn't accessible for me and that I prefer to read the studies themselves rather than just the external news cover as they tend to sensationalize everything. For example, here's a recent thread I posted about obesity. I link not only the news article but also the study.

I am not familiar with this forum referenced and can't see the supposed leaked information either. So I basically have to take the word of The Telegraph at face value. I'm generally more skeptical than that.

I see, .co.uk region locking.

Anyway, even for me it's paywalled.

Yeah the paywall is preventing me from seeing anything besides the first part.

demigod

Copied for those blocked

Risk of breast cancer rises 46 times for trans women after hormone therapy, study shows​

Sarah Knapton, SCIENCE EDITOR

Compared to men the risk of breast cancer was far higher for trans women

Trans women who undergo sex change procedures must be warned that their risk of developing breast cancer increases by 46 times, in comparison to men.
A new study of more than 2,000 women who had transitioned from men showed that around 1 in 200 developed breast cancer compared to fewer than one in 8,000 of men.
Although the risk was around one third less than naturally born women, experts from the Netherlands said it was important that doctors and patients were aware of the increased threat, which is likely to be caused by injections of female hormones.

Lead author Dr Martin den Heijer of Amsterdam University Medical Centre, said: “We do believe that it is important that possible risks and side-effects of the hormone treatment are openly discussed with the people who receive this treatment.
“This enables trans women to make educated decisions about the treatment. In our practice, we advise trans women to participate in the population- based screening program for breast cancer.”
Around 55,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer in Britain each year and there are approximately 11,000 deaths. But gender reassignment is on the rise with some NHS trusts such as Imperial in London carrying out 250 operations a year, compared to just 54 across the whole health service in 2000.

Previous studies have shown that hormone replacement therapy (HRT) increases the risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women, which could suggest a similarly increased risk in trans women receiving hormone treatment, the authors said.
Of the 22,60 trans women involved in the study 15 cases of invasive breast cancer were diagnosed at an average age of 50 years and after an average 18 years of hormone therapy.

However the researchers said it was still unclear whether some of the breast cancer cases were also caused by genes or lifestyle factors, as the team only had genetic information for one trans-gender woman in the study, who turned out to carry a mutation in the BRCA gene which causes breast cancer.
Writing in the BMJ the authors concluded that “it would be worthwhile for future studies to investigate in more detail the cause of breast cancer in transgender people receiving hormone treatment.”
The study also showed that transgender men had a lower risk compared with the general female population.
In 1,229 trans men, four cases of invasive breast cancer were identified at an average age of 47 years and after an average 15 years of hormone treatment.
Mmmm, nipples.

How is Caitlyn Jenner still alive? Did he not fully transition?

Nature vs Nurture. It appears nature wins. Changing your biological programming appears to have consequences that results in the people with colored hair becoming skinheads. Tragically ironic.

Cancer is no joke though, that sucks, but with this information widely available now, it kind of seems unethical to perform the procedure.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Nothing stopping them from commiting suicide after transition.

The best treatment can be done by psychiatrists/psychologists.

I love that this affects MIND but they cut BODY to "cure" it.
Nope true, and research shows that the suicide rates are still really high after transitions. Trans seems also linked with autism as well, also interesting.

Even though it feels like an old concept, the trans experience is still very unknown medically. Like with everything, It takes time to figure out what the best way to approach this.

Nothing stopping them from commiting suicide after transition.

The best treatment can be done by psychiatrists/psychologists.

I love that this affects MIND but they cut BODY to "cure" it.
Maybe, but if I'm putting myself in the shoes of a parent of a child who is saying or implying that they'll hurt themselves if they don't transition, it's probably not that simple.

I can imagine a parent feeling like they're not doing enough for or not listening to the kid.

Especially if the kid does eventually hurt themselves, you wouldn't sit there and think "well, they would have hurt themselves anyway if they transitioned." You'd probably blame yourself.

Last edited:

Bojji

Nope true, and research shows that the suicide rates are still really high after transitions. Trans seems also linked with autism as well, also interesting.

Even though it feels like an old concept, the trans experience is still very unknown medically. Like with everything, It takes time to figure out what the best way to approach this.

I completely agree that this should be studied for a long time, same goes for treatment methods.

But right now this market is worth so much money that they will almost force people to cut and mutilate their kids or inject them with hormones.

Durning development, entering puberty our organisms are producing tons of hormones that are there to our proper development, not only for genitals but internal organs, muscles etc. too. Imagine that some people are stopping this process and start injecting hormones from different sex. What damage this can done in a long run? No one knows because it wasn't tested, yet here we are...

Last edited:
Maybe, but if I'm putting myself in the shoes of a parent who is saying or implying that they'll hurt themselves if they don't transition, it's probably not that simple.

I can imagine a parent feeling like they're not doing enough for or not listening to the kid.

Especially if the kid does eventually hurt themselves, you probably wouldn't sit there and think "well, they would have hurt themselves anyway if they transitioned." You'd probably blame yourself.
If my kid even starts hinting at speaking like this I will a) pull him out of school and then b) give up my job, sell my house, and move as far away from his friends group as possible. It blows my mind that parents let this stuff fester.

Last edited:

Bojji

Maybe, but if I'm putting myself in the shoes of a parent of a child who is saying or implying that they'll hurt themselves if they don't transition, it's probably not that simple.

Especially if the kid does eventually hurt themselves, you probably wouldn't sit there and think "well, they would have hurt themselves anyway if they transitioned." You'd probably blame yourself.

People that are suicidal need help from psychiatrist not surgeons with scalpels.

I was suicidal too 10 years ago and they helped me (one month in psychiatric ward). This is PROVEN method to help people.

If my kid even starts hinting at speaking like this I will a) pull him out of school and then b) give up my job, sell my house, and move as far away from his friends group as possible. It blows my mind that parents let this stuff fester.
That might be a good option for you but it's probably not that simple for everyone right? Maybe you don't have the money to up and move or maybe there are one or more other kids in the family you also have to worry about.

People that are suicidal need help from psychiatrist not surgeons with scalpels.

I was suicidal too 10 years ago and they helped me (one month in psychiatric ward). This is PROVEN method to help people.
I'm glad they were able to help you.

I obviously don't know the reason you were suicidal, but there can be different factors at play right? I'll have to look up and see how successful psychiatric treatment is for suicidal ideation when gender issues are at play.

Mistake

Personally, I view this issue the same as if a person wants to cut their arm off. We all know modifying your body so it's less functional is harmful, so why it's promoted is beyond me, especially for people under 25 where the brain isn't fully developed. I don't deny these problems exist for a select few, but troubles of the mind should be treated as such. You don't go along with a schizophrenic's delusions, or tell a depressed person to take up cutting.

Anyway, I just hope things simmer down and people focus more on actual love and care instead of trying to take shortcuts

bitbydeath

Especially if the kid does eventually hurt themselves, you wouldn't sit there and think "well, they would have hurt themselves anyway if they transitioned." You'd probably blame yourself.
That’s just bad parenting IMO.
You should never reward bad behaviour, you punish it. That’s likely how they got to that state in the first place. Kids need boundaries. Life isn’t a lottery where you could receive a fucked up kid, that’s on you and your parenting/lack there of.

Last edited:
That’s just bad parenting IMO.
You should never reward bad behaviour, you punish it. That is likely how they got to that state in the first place. Kids need boundaries.

I don't know the right answer, but punishing your kid for talking to you about gender issues and/or suicidal thoughts definitely doesn't sound right. Maybe I just don't know what you mean by punish though?

Z O N E

I'm not trying to weigh in--just stating that the article isn't accessible for me and that I prefer to read the studies themselves rather than just the external news cover as they tend to sensationalize everything. For example, here's a recent thread I posted about obesity. I link not only the news article but also the study.

I posted the whole article in the OP.

If you're on PC and have uBlock Origin, you can click on an article and quickly copy the article, before the paywall wall pops up and blocks you.

Seems like a lot of people fell for the bait. This whole story is that taking hormones to grow boobs makes you more likely to get breast cancer, but not even as likely as a naturally born woman. Is this surprising to anyone?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'd imagine your body will go into overdrive trying to correct what your doing to your body which in turn will trigger cancer cells.

bitbydeath

It could be. I guess you'd have to make sure you're good at discerning legitimate issues vs. just trying to get their way.
Nope, just set their behaviour to be normal by any means possible. Clearly it shows earlier parenting fails if it gets that far along that they threaten to kill themselves.

Seems like a lot of people fell for the bait. This whole story is that taking hormones to grow boobs makes you more likely to get breast cancer, but not even as likely as a naturally born woman. Is this surprising to anyone?
You didn't even read the first three sentences of the quoted article, or you're ignoring it, because there's more to this than that.

Last edited:

badblue

I did some looking around and I found a site the apparently links to a PDF that contains the data you are looking for.

The raw files have been published in a report called The WPATH Files: Pseudoscientific surgical and hormonal experiments on children, adolescents, and vulnerable adults, which contains analysis by journalist Mia Hughes that puts the WPATH Files in the context of the best available science on gender distress.

Nope, just set their behaviour to be normal by any means possible. Clearly it shows earlier parenting fails if it gets that far along that they threaten to kill themselves.
Well the behavior "setting" is probably easier said than done (whatever you consider normal to be) especially with such intense circumstances at play. It's a bit more complex than making sure they clean up their toys.

And regardless of any past parental failings, you'd need to make sure that your next moves are sound, considering that if you screw it up you could seriously mess up/ruin/end the kid's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom