• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 Beat Using One Button 'Morse Code Controller'

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

One Twitch and YouTube content creator called Rudeism recently beat Dark Souls 3 using a one-button Morse code controller, which consists of a wooden box with a single red button. The playthrough took about two weeks to complete, with some bosses proving much more challenging to take down than others. Those that required camera movement — like Aldrich, Curse-Rotted Greatwood, Deacons of the Deep, the Twin Princes, and the Nameless King — during the fight were particularly difficult. According to Rudeism, the toughest part was timing, because the Morse code controller has a built-in 250 millisecond delay. And a quarter of a second can feel like an extremely long time in the heat of a Dark Souls 3 boss fight.

Rudeism’s motivation behind building innovative and challenging controllers isn’t all fun, however. After beating Soul of Cinder in Dark Souls 3, the last boss, the Twitch streamer pointed out that “difficulty options are accessibility options.” Many video game purists argue that difficulty options would ruin Souls games, but that argument falls apart when Rudeism and others point out that many of these same people are just fine with players intentionally making the games harder by adding challenges.

Buggy Loop

Come On Reaction GIF

WTF, I can barely do some bosses with a goddamn controller. On a scale from 1 to 10, how much times you have on your hand to think of doing this shit?

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I'm confused. How did he walk? Just holding button for different lengths? Or press 6 times to walk forward? I can barely beat these games with a controller.
Fuck this guy

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I'm confused. How did he walk? Just holding button for different lengths? Or press 6 times to walk forward? I can barely beat these games with a controller.
Fuck this guy

I think the character was continuously walking without any input?
At least thats how it looked at the end when he stopped pressing anything after defeating the boss.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I think the character was continuously walking without any input?
At least thats how it looked at the end when he stopped pressing anything after defeating the boss.
Oh ok. That makes sense I guess. So hr just press to turn then? Idk I just don't get how they do this.

hlm666

Fuck this guy
if you look at the top right you can see the moves, like hold hold was roll back. Movement seemed to stick, so when he rolled back he kept moving backwards until something else was done. There's no real normal none locked walking in that clip so im not sure how he had general world movement setup.

Kadve

“difficulty options are accessibility enjoyability options.”

Much better version. I for one have never bothered with Dark Souls as i don't like games where you get stuck constantly.

jaysius

Banned
He just threw that "accessibility" bit in at the end because someone he knows told him it'd get him extra attention for this nonsense. This is nothing about accessibility at all, this is about how hard it is to get views and subs if you're not showing your boobs, this shows the broken desperate state of Twitch.

RafterXL

Dude has purple hair and has he/him on his Twitter bio, he's just the kind of person I'd expect to be whining about difficulty options in Dark Souls and Metroid. What's his Resetera username?

Reactions: GHG

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Much better version. I for one have never bothered with Dark Souls as i don't like games where you get stuck constantly.

Maybe you'd suprise yourself if you tried

Jennings

The only Morse Code I'd be spamming over and over during a boss fight is
•••---•••
•••---•••
•••---•••
•••---•••

Last edited:

Aenima

This is the problem. Ppl cry about the games being too hard, and needing an easy mode, but dont even try them or bother to learn how to play the game. The Souls game offer alot of ways to make the games super easy.

1- Leveling up. You can keep leveling up ur character and giving it more power and HP to the point you feel overpowered
2- Co-Op. You can summon 2 more players to run with you through the game or fight the bosses. You can just sit and watch the 2 other players carrying you through the whole game.
3- Alot of times you die from traps or ambushes. Once you fall for them 1 time, you learn and rarely repeat the same mistake.
4- Shield up (Turtle mode) advancing slowly in the game with your shild up, prevents u from damage from surprize attacks, also paying atention to your surroundings can prevent you from falling in ambushes or traps.

I dont really care if the game gets an easy mode or not, but these games are build to be challenging, removing the challenging part pretty much defeats the purpose of the game, and the experience the game was designed to offer. Even so the game mechanics offer alot of ways to make your game much easier.

This was me playing and killing enemies in the beginning of Bloodborne naked and without weapon, just to prove a point to a friend that kept crying about the bloodborne beginning being way too hard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom