• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Nightfall Is a Fan-Made Direct Sequel of the Original From Software Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dark Souls: Nightfall is currently in development by a team led by Grimrukh, the same modder behind the excellent Daughters of Ash mod. Nightfall will be a direct sequel to the original game, taking place after the Darklord ending, and it will feature a new map, new NPCs complete with voice acting, and an improved combat system featuring much faster pacing in the vein of that seen in Dark Souls III.

It’s a direct sequel to Dark Souls, again with “expanded lore” that aims not to clash with the base game.
It has a new world map. No brand new assets, but I’m using a mixture of physically rearranging the areas of Lordran and building new areas out of existing map pieces and collisions.
It has a heavily modified, faster-paced combat system. AinTunez has been tuning it up all year. (He’s previously experimented with a much simpler version of this in QuickSouls.)
It will include modified enemies with heavily modified animations. No brand new enemy models, but lots of retexturing and decking out of existing ones.
It will have brand new NPCs with new voice acting. I experimented with some new “non-verbal characters” in DoA, without much other choice, but our improving ability to edit the character files and AinTunez’s access to an incredible pool of voice talent has expanded our options here considerably.

timmyp53

Damn son. Enemy AI that can hop over your head and slit your throat. Just another day in souls universe.

Soodanim

I watched the first X minutes in a video a week ago and it looks really interesting. New mechanics bring a nice twist to an old game, which is great when people want more from it.

With all the Dark Souls mods coming, I hope there will be a way to hit swap between them all. I will want to jump between Remastest.

BabyYoda

Banned
I much preferred the slower combat of the first game, so not for me. On that subject, I hope Elden Ring returns to the slower more methodical type of Gameplay found in the first game, or at least makes it viable. I like a big shield and heavy armour with no parrying! And don't have too many enemies that require lightning reflexes!

Not liking the turn to fast paced parry type Gameplay in this genre. As much as I enjoyed DS3 and finished it as a deprived, I raged like you wouldn't believe!

At least with the first game, many more types of playstyles were viable, that seems to have been whittled down to a more and more limited route as time has progressed :(

Bloodborne and Sekiro have there place (not for me though), but I really hope they resist the urge to make all of their games like that, that's partly why this series is still relatively niche I think.

Give us choices From!

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I much preferred the slower combat of the first game, so not for me. On that subject, I hope Elden Ring returns to the slower more methodical type of Gameplay found in the first game, or at least makes it viable. I like a big shield and heavy armour with no parrying! And don't have too many enemies that require lightning reflexes!

Not liking the turn to fast paced parry type Gameplay in this genre. As much as I enjoyed DS3 and finished it as a deprived, I raged like you wouldn't believe!

At least with the first game, many more types of playstyles were viable, that seems to have been whittled down to a more and more limited route as time has progressed :(

Bloodborne and Sekiro have there place (not for me though), but I really hope they resist the urge to make all of their games like that, that's partly why this series is still relatively niche I think.

Give us choices From!
Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

I could I have write this post xD (excluding the part you say Bloodborne is not for you !)

I love the slower gameplay of Dark Souls and the many choice of playstyles you have in it. The removal of medium and fat roll (still there kind of but it's so hard to achieve without stupidly overloading yourself with heavy weapons you don't use), following games, is a big loss for me.
Also the ultra heavy weapons, really felt ultra heavy. In Dark Souls 2/3, they feel more like giant plastic swords xD

On topic, I quickly watched some of the gameplay... Then I saw the teleport/dash/dodge move... Sounds like a nice project but probably not for me. I'll keep it in check nonetheless.

johntown

Banned
Seems like Devil May Dark Souls. I really liked what I saw. My only complaint would be what looked like artificial difficulty. I think the sword needs to do some more damage.

Bandai Namco, money involved, this is getting a cease and desist notice soon right?
Most likely, I know people like to do this type of fan-made, but only a few publishers will allow it. Which I believe Namco is not one of them. I should have contacted them first, before waste my time on a DOA (cease and desist) project. Well, let's see how it plays out.

BabyYoda

Banned
Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

I could I have write this post xD (excluding the part you say Bloodborne is not for you !)

I love the slower gameplay of Dark Souls and the many choice of playstyles you have in it. The removal of medium and fat roll (still there kind of but it's so hard to achieve without stupidly overloading yourself with heavy weapons you don't use), following games, is a big loss for me.
Also the ultra heavy weapons, really felt ultra heavy. In Dark Souls 2/3, they feel more like giant plastic swords xD

On topic, I quickly watched some of the gameplay... Then I saw the teleport/dash/dodge move... Sounds like a nice project but probably not for me. I'll keep it in check nonetheless.
Glad I'm not the only one. Maybe it's partly because it was my first Souls game (although I doubt it), but I don't think From has topped that game yet, I have hope Elden Ring might just top it though. It's good it's a new universe, it should feel fresher because of that. Hopefully they also have all new mechanics to go along with it (horseback riding/combat is a good start), not just re-skinned versions of what we've already seen. I trust Miyazaki will take some risks though.
After that I wanna see a sci-fi Souls-like from them :p

Wow I'm so down for this. I love seeing the mc kill Gwyn and then you start in the kiln. I'm so interested to see where it goes. Hope they don't get hit with a C&D.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
As far as first impressions, Daughters of the Ash was a terrible mod so I cant say I am interested in this at all.

DelireMan7

Maybe it's partly because it was my first Souls game (although I doubt it), but I don't think From has topped that game yet.
Amen !
I also hope for Elden ring also but I don't think the open world will allow the sublime level design of Dark souls 1.
Let's hope for all the option of slow playstyle

BabyYoda

Banned
Amen !
I also hope for Elden ring also but I don't think the open world will allow the sublime level design of Dark souls 1.
Let's hope for all the option of slow playstyle
I suspect it will still have labyrinthian interiors and an interconnected world, you're probably right that it will lose something in the transition though, hopefully it gains more than it loses ;)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We're working hard on it, folks! Sorry for the gap between updates, but we'll keep you more in the loop from here on out, especially as we approach a beta-testing phase :)

NOTE: Video contains some footage from the January demo (and also a few seconds of footage from beyond it). There are no spoilers in the audio.
The creators of the Nightfall mod for Dark Souls have recently revealed that they are going to be expanding the fan-made sequel in order to incorporate more of Elden Ring's mechanics. Namely, Nightfall's boss fights are being reworked to emulate the newer game. "Game design has come a long way in 11 years," said the creators when speaking about how they would bring in features such as animationary targeting, event scripting, and other techniques that give each boss fight a bit more personality.

Top Bottom