• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave the Diver |OT| Life is better, down where's it wetter

Holammer

g6Oa4ys.jpg

Noticed Dave peaked at 90k, yesterday, today it almost peaked at a cool 100k. Absolutely insane numbers for a single player game from a smaller developer.
It's currently the #3 top grossing item on Steam (after CS:GO & Deck) and should have sold well over 1M+ by now.

GymWolf

How difficult it is the sushi restaurant part? i hate management minigames except the yakuza cabaret stuff.

What is the ratio submarine action game vs sushi management?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How difficult it is the sushi restaurant part? i hate management minigames except the yakuza cabaret stuff.

Easy honestly. Once you unlock staff it's mostly automated.

90% ocean / 10% restaurant but maybe that changes toward the mid/late game

xrnzaaas

I think it's hard only at the beginning because you have to serve all the customers yourself. It gets easier when you hire waiters and promote them. Composing the menu actually takes more time than running the minigame.

Exploring the depths is clearly the priority, but you can't avoid the sushi bar part since it's the main source of income.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Really? 90% ocean? i thought it was 50\50.
Probably at the beginning, but once you start expanding your storage & oxygen, you spend much more time exploring. You can kind of spend as much or as little time doing each thing but really only after you unlock certain mechanics.

I'm ~16 hours in if memory serves. By that time I had unlocked night fishing as well so I would do 3 trips per day with a shortened restaurant portion. I would spend maybe 90 mins under water, and 10 doing the farm and food stuff.

SJRB

Gold Member
Really? 90% ocean? i thought it was 50\50.

Diving is morning / afternoon, restaurant is evening so there's already a 2/1 split.

Diving can take a bit of time depending on what you do, but the sushi bit is usually over fairly fast. It takes a lof of effort in the early game, but once you unlock staff you help you serve things get easier. It's usually over in, what, three minutes?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

i did NOT like the restaurant part as it felt like one of those dumb mobile games..
i promise you when you get staff it's super easy.. and that's like 3 hours in tops

this game is like stardew and animal crossing. Great to unwind in after a day of work.
and diving is way bigger.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
It uses all the tricks to make it a drug game. Just one more thing... one last dive... and it's 4 A.M.
Pretty cool. I think both diving and restaurant managing could have been better in some areas, but it's really a good, honest, addicting game. And the cutscenes are nothing short of amazing.

GymWolf

i did NOT like the restaurant part as it felt like one of those dumb mobile games..
i promise you when you get staff it's super easy.. and that's like 3 hours in tops

this game is like stardew and animal crossing. Great to unwind in after a day of work.
and diving is way bigger.
Played 3 hours of dave, this is an actual videogame, animal crossing is what you let your grandma play, don't put the 2 on a similar level please:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
you wont get me playing this after I played Subnautica and realised I have that phobia of deep sea big time.

I genuinely wigged the fuck out at the deep sea exploration and monsters part for no good reason, I think I will pass on this one.

GymWolf

How do i get rid of the terrible tearing? There is no ingame option and i have vsyng global on from the nvcp.

I think I'm like 15 hrs in... it's been fun and I'm really enjoying it. It has the right mix of "weird." It gives me "Food Wars" vibes, that damn weird cooking anime lol I still can't believe I watch that whole damn thing.

GymWolf

I bolded the word that jogged my memory... yea, it was a the titties lol

The memories are flooding back in and I like it...
I think you should watch keijo.

anime-keijo.gif

Btw, is there any reason to sell the fish that i don't put in the menu? Does it decay after some time?

Last edited:
I think you should watch keijo.

Btw, is there any reason to sell the fish that i don't put in the menu? Does it decay after some time?
I just googled Keijo... I've saved it to my memory, will be doing "research" on it later

I don't think they ever decay, I've had a dish on my "menu" for like weeks (in-game weeks) and their always there. I never use them cause I have much more profitable items to sell. Although my list of potential dishes is getting pretty long, so their might be some benefit to getting rid of them just for organization and identification purposes.

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I don't fully understand how to know how much food to put on the menu. If it's on there you may end up with extra food that gets tossed, right? I don't mean the food the chef makes but what you put on the menu (ex: if you have 3 shark heads but only sell 1, the other 2 are gone forever, right?) If so, how is the player supposed to know how many customers are coming in on any given night?

Thx!

Fuz

Banned
I don't fully understand how to know how much food to put on the menu. If it's on there you may end up with extra food that gets tossed, right? I don't mean the food the chef makes but what you put on the menu (ex: if you have 3 shark heads but only sell 1, the other 2 are gone forever, right?) If so, how is the player supposed to know how many customers are coming in on any given night?

Thx!
I think the unsold food is lost (but I don't think I've ever had any unsold), but if you put in the menu 1 shark head and leave 2 out, so you will only be able to sell 1 shark head, the other 2 will stay in your inventory. Not 100% sure toh.

nikos

This game somehow keeps getting better and more interesting. Its pacing is really good. New things are introduced without it ever feeling overwhelming. I just had a really good dive and ended up losing everything. Wasn't even mad, just disappointed at the way it happened. I dove right back in.

I don't even like seafood.

Read that it's coming to Switch this year. While it would be really nice in handheld on that OLED, I don't want to stop playing. I'm going to enjoy it and perhaps double dip.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I think the unsold food is lost (but I don't think I've ever had any unsold), but if you put in the menu 1 shark head and leave 2 out, so you will only be able to sell 1 shark head, the other 2 will stay in your inventory. Not 100% sure toh.
It's odd- if you sell all your sushi but still have time, you lose money. But if you make too much sushi and don't have the time to sell it, you lose it (and can't sell it the next nite). So there's def a relationship between how much is on the menu vs. how much you sell (as it relates to you getting more cash to buy more gear and stuff). But I'm not totally sure how the game wants Players to master that idea with no seeming indicator of the number of people coming in on any particular night.

Small gripe, if it's even a gripe. This is top 5 easy GOTY for me. How fucking delightful it is!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It's odd- if you sell all your sushi but still have time, you lose money. But if you make too much sushi and don't have the time to sell it, you lose it (and can't sell it the next nite). So there's def a relationship between how much is on the menu vs. how much you sell (as it relates to you getting more cash to buy more gear and stuff). But I'm not totally sure how the game wants Players to master that idea with no seeming indicator of the number of people coming in on any particular night.

Small gripe, if it's even a gripe. This is top 5 easy GOTY for me. How fucking delightful it is!
You can add more sushi to the menu during the actual opening/serving gameplay. Just don't put too much or you risk losing it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You can add more sushi to the menu during the actual opening/serving gameplay. Just don't put too much or you risk losing it.
Dafuq, since when?

Btw reached chapter 4 last night, hunting for tunas seems the best right now, their plates sell for a lot of money.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Dafuq, since when?

Btw reached chapter 4 last night, hunting for tunas seems the best right now, their plates sell for a lot of money.
Since first early access release. I haven't touched the final release yet. That is waiting for me in a few months.

Fuz

Banned
The game keeps throwing new things to do and new systems relentlessly at you, it's insane the quantity of content for 20 euros.
If I had to nitpick, my only "issue" would be that the sea bed is too squared to be considered pretty, but I suppose it's because of the roguelite aspects of the game. Love the "edutainment" aspect of it.
It's a fucking drug, don't play it before going to bed.
It's also got an insane reception:
steam-merda.jpg

GymWolf

The game keeps throwing new things to do and new systems relentlessly at you, it's insane the quantity of content for 20 euros.
If I had to nitpick, my only "issue" would be that the sea bed is too squared to be considered pretty, but I suppose it's because of the roguelite aspects of the game. Love the "edutainment" aspect of it.
It's a fucking drug, don't play it before going to bed.
It's also got an insane reception:
steam-merda.jpg
Do i get more toys for combat?

Maxing out the hook and the granade launcher left me with not much to do in terms of combat upgrades.

Top Bottom