• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Beta |Mini OT| READ THE OP

What would you rate Diablo IV

• 1 (Amazing)

Votes: 116 37.3%

Votes: 111 35.7%

Votes: 62 19.9%

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 5 (Dreadful)

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters

DavidGzz

I just learned that you could pet the dogs by doing a hi emote near them and they would then follow you around. I saw someone complaining that you couldn't pet them somewhere. Anyone try that?

Last edited:
Is the Diablo 4 map supposed to be a different area of Sanctuary than Diablo 1/2/3?
D4 looks like basically the entire Eastern continent. Kehjistan is where D2's Act III occurs. Notice they are saving some space in the furthest south of the D4 map for the expac.

Tristram is on the Western continent. Act I and II of D2 take place there. After you leave Lut Gholein, you sail across the Great Sea to Kurast which was once the largest coastal city in Kehjistan.

treemk

Banned
Yeah, it's too bad. I wish there was a record of me beating the game on Inferno. It was fucking hard lol.
You should have an achievement for it, I kinda wish that version of the game was still available. The PS360 version is kinda close but it gives you way better look than how it was on PC.

Yo Barb was real strong once you got gear. I was unkillable

You had to stick with it through the first 17 levels or so
Barb seems much more gear dependent than the other classes in the beta, mainly because only Barb has to stand there and facetank damage in order to deal it.

I think it's easier to start with a ranged class like Sorc or Necro and use them to farm gear for your Barb as a second character, unless you just enjoy the increased challenge from the start.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yo Barb was real strong once you got gear. I was unkillable

You had to stick with it through the first 17 levels or so
I'm gonna level with sorc or necro first and then twink a barb. Not sure if I want to do a Rogue because the build I like has a high chance of being giganerfed before launch.

Map of Sanctuary at the time of Diablo III, btw:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You should have an achievement for it, I kinda wish that version of the game was still available. The PS360 version is kinda close but it gives you way better look than how it was on PC.
I remember getting one, but I reinstalled D3 to look. It's not there anymore. None of the inferno related ones are.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I just learned that you could pet the dogs by doing a hi emote near them and they would then follow you around. I saw someone complaining that you couldn't pet them somewhere. Anyone try that?

Yes, you absolutely could pet the dogs and have them follow you around, I had all the dogs in kyovoshad following me at one point.

You can't pet the cats though, -7/10

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
He must have flip flopped from what I seen. He literally said that the game was unimpressive and that nothing was special about it.

He’s flip flopped a lot and I suspect he does to bring in the clicks… barbarian sucks sorc op! No, rogue OP! No, necro OP! Barbarian rocks! D4 is amazing! D4 sucks! D4 is amazing!

It’s a schtick at this point.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
64399.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Can anyone explain to me what Diablo is?

My first experience with the franchise was the D4 open beta...then I played about ~10 hours of Diablo 3.

It really feels like a mostly mindless (linear) treadmill where the player is fed small upgrades every minute...be it loot, levels, gold etc...Is it really this simple?

Do I basically understand what Diablo is at this point?

My first experience with the franchise was the D4 open beta...then I played about ~10 hours of Diablo 3.

It really feels like a mostly mindless (linear) treadmill where the player is fed small upgrades every minute...be it loot, levels, gold etc...Is it really this simple?

Yeah it's a dungeon crawler, you either are addicted to it or it's not for you. These games are like crack for some of us.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Watch initial cutscene > kill monster > skip cutscene > ooo monster drop shiny > wear shiny get stronger > kill more monster > skip cutscene > repeat

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yeah it's a dungeon crawler, you either are addicted to it or it's not for you. These games are like crack for some of us.
Oh no...I get it.

I was up till 1:30am on the last night of the Diablo 4 beta thinking..."I'll just finish this dungeon. Ok, I'm almost at next level, I'll just farm till I reach it. Oh look...I'm in a new dungeon."

The problem as I see it, is that once you're off the crack...it doesn't look all that exciting from afar. Like right now...the allure of seeing numbers go up does nothing for me.

TylerD

Anyone playing the beta on a PC and using an Xbox controller? any issues?

I played on PC with a wired 360 controller and it worked really well for druid and rogue. Probably how I'll play most of the time for the comfort of the experience. I've kind of got to the point that playing mouse and keyboard feels like I'm IRL working and PC + TV + controller doesn't.

---------------

I played the open beta for around 25 hrs over the weekend and it was the most I've played anything that many hours that quickly in years. I really like the MMO-lite open world stuff and running into other players in the world during events, I got that vanilla WoW vibe at times and it was really cool. It does a lot to make the world feel more alive. I like the more deliberate slower pace and the much darker atmosphere and graphics. Combat generally feels excellent.

The ability to remove the legendary aspects and affix them to other gear is pretty sick. The itemization is going to be so much more interesting than D3 I think.

I played D3 beta a ton and then played D3 many hours for 2 weeks after taking the first week off from work for the release then really fell off. Never even bought Reaper of Souls.

From what I played of D4 so far, I think the staying power will be much better.

Last edited:

Joramun

I played on PC with a wired 360 controller and it worked really well for druid and rogue. Probably how I'll play most of the time for the comfort of the experience. I've kind of got to the point that playing mouse and keyboard feels like I'm IRL working and PC + TV + controller doesn't.

---------------

I played the open beta for around 25 hrs over the weekend and it was the most I've played anything that many hours that quickly in years. I really like the MMO-lite open world stuff and running into other players in the world during events, I got that vanilla WoW vibe at times and it was really cool. It does a lot to make the world feel more alive. I like the more deliberate slower pace and the much darker atmosphere and graphics. Combat generally feels excellent.

The ability to remove the legendary aspects and affix them to other gear is pretty sick. The itemization is going to be so much more interesting than D3 I think.

I played D3 beta a ton and then played D3 many hours for 2 weeks after taking the first week off from work for the release then really fell off. Never even bought Reaper of Souls.

From what I played of D4 so far, I think the staying power will be much better.
How has your wired 360 controller survived all these years?!

This is the route I'll probably be taking as well. PC + Monitor + Xbox controller. Like you said it's more relaxing and convenient. It also lessens RSI and gives my wrist a rest.

D4 is definitely an improvement from D3. IT got boring real quick.

The MMO lite is a nice addition, it doesn't feel that empty playing by yourself.

Hot5pur

That's basically it. The appeal comes from feeling like you are making an investment and gaining "stuff". In D3 they tried to really capitalize on it by having a real money auction house.

What I like about it is the puzzle nature of making a build. Especially with world scaling to your level, you constantly have to improve your character to not feel weak. The game keeps throwing harder and harder content at you and you have to keep adapting and eventually you get to a point where you can make an extremely powerful build which feels very satisfying. Then there's also making different classes which adds a lot of variety because you get to explore different sets of skills and the way you fight enemies also changes which keeps things interesting.

TylerD

How has your wired 360 controller survived all these years?!

This is the route I'll probably be taking as well. PC + Monitor + Xbox controller. Like you said it's more relaxing and convenient. It also lessens RSI and gives my wrist a rest.

D4 is definitely an improvement from D3. IT got boring real quick.

The MMO lite is a nice addition, it doesn't feel that empty playing by yourself.

Oh that's easy, I just got it mainly for use on PC years ago and don't play games a lot in general. A couple of face buttons are getting a tiny bit sticky but I was pleased that it was instantly recognized and worked with D4 though.

amigastar

I have a question, would you guys buy an expansion with new legendaries? I mean no new char but only new legendaries?
I think i would. But only if it would be a good amount of new legendaries.

Last edited:

draliko

a little ot but need help, any xbox gamer that can suggest some similar games to play in the wait? got grim dawn butis an awful port... thanks

Kacho

a little ot but need help, any xbox gamer that can suggest some similar games to play in the wait? got grim dawn butis an awful port... thanks
Diablo II (great)
Diablo III (great)
Torchlight 2 (ok)
Warhammer Chaosbane (meh)
Warhammer Inquisitor (meh)

Stay away from Titan Quest. Awful port full of bugs.

llLeonhart

Anyone else had sound issues on PS5? mobs that were way louder than others, npc voices that were extremely quiet or loud, etc..?

Also issues with texture pop in on cutscenes?

Top Bottom