• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter is officially BACK!!!!

proandrad

Did we ever get clarification as to why things ended to badly with Kojima and Konami? It always felt like something really wrong happened, like beyond just a disagreement on how they do business. I’m not trying throw any bullshit ideas out there, but the whole thing was very strange.

Barakov

Gold Member
The Kiefer hire was Kojima's biggest misstep. Say what you want about Hayter, but any performance of his is a million times better than what Sutherland phoneboothd in for MGSV.
All the lines he voiced sounded like they were spoken through a tin can. There will always be a difference between a great voice actor and a screen actor when it comes to things like this.

Did we ever get clarification as to why things ended to badly with Kojima and Konami? It always felt like something really wrong happened, like beyond just a disagreement on how they do business. I’m not trying throw any bullshit ideas out there, but the whole thing was very strange.

Ran way over budget on MGSV.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
In the context of the game, having him voice Punished Venom Snake makes no sense.
Then he should record all the lines from Ground Zeroes, and the bits in Phantom Pain where it was Big Boss.

Maybe as an unlockable after you beat the game.

Mister Wolf

Konami ran a cost/benefit analysis and realized they were dealing with a pretentious employee.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They should have him write, direct, and star in a new metal gear solid. I think he gets the character. Wonder if he recorded any new dialog for MGS Delta
A decade ago I would have agreed, but you'd probably find Hayter posting on Ree these days if you get what I mean.
I do still like him, but his comments of "Sometimes, the patriots get it right" regarding censorship rubs me the wrong way.

Kojima canned Hayter.
GIF by Tokkingheads

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They should have him record all of Kiefer's lines when they rerelease MGSV.
That should be the new thing of a volume 3 or something
They should have him write, direct, and star in a new metal gear solid. I think he gets the character. Wonder if he recorded any new dialog for MGS Delta
That... I'm not sure. I mean, he wrote Xmen 1 and 2, which are the best ones, but his acting (live action) is questionable at least

And about Delta, in Twin Snakes they redone all the voices, so one could say that they will do again. It's great

Sleepwalker

Lol at rerecording MGS. Id rather they actually finish the final chapters instead of wasting time re recording lines.

But this is Konami so they won't do either.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Video tops out at 720p, at least they're consistent.
They haven't updated their hardware from previous developments a decade ago 😏
To be fair 720p isn't actually that bad if the bitrate is high, especially in motion.
in fact I could show you some 720p content that's have more details then what you'd expect from a 720p source, hell I could show you sub 720p content that does.
With game content you expect it to be of the highest quality but I've seen 720p video that shits all over it.
Make no sense, but it's because the details are lower then what presented in the high bitrate 720p video
But video is capturing content that have details way above anything we've reached yet so 720p at a really high bitrate will look good (although we are used to low bitrates so it gets a bad rap)
But Video games? We are increasing frame rates and resolution each generation before we even fill all those pixels.

Last edited:

AGRacing

He shouldn’t have ever left. Kojima certainly didn’t need the star power of Kiefer Sutherland to read terribly written dialogue.

consoul

Hayter is a rolled gold legend. If Konami pay him to do promo work, that's cool. Happy for him.

Maybe Konami will pay him big money to say "Kojima is a cry baby" in Snake's voice.

Konami ran a cost/benefit analysis and realized they were dealing with a pretentious employee.
Kojimer arguably lost his touch ages ago, but I'm not exactly shedding a tear at the idea of him wasting Konami's money, they deserve it for what they did to Team Silent, Kojima should have wasted even more of their money.

radewagon

I dunno guys, I think Keifer did a pretty good job. I also kind of think the voice actor change was a good idea cause it shows us that Big Boss's voice changes as he ages so that it's not so weird when he has a completely different voice than Solid Snake at the end of MGS4. Kojima could easily have given Hayter both roles at the end of MGS4, but obviously decided against it. Plus, it makes sense that they would sound different since Solid isn't an exact clone.

While I think Hayter is the better Snake, I think that the change in voice for MGSV was ultimately a good one as it helps to better differentiate Solid and Big Boss.

Top Bottom