• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter is officially BACK!!!!

Pidull

I'm happy for David, Kojima did him dirty by pushing him out for nonsense Hollywood "talent." MGS became more successful because of the excellent translation work and Hayter's performance.

I also feel for Kojima to a degree anyway. He wanted to end MGS and Konami kept forcing him to bring it back. Konami thought their IP was more important than their talent, and I don't have huge hopes for anything they do with MGS going forward (just look at the issues with the Master Collection).

DeVeAn

Always been a pet peeve of mind changing established character voices. I hope he is in future MGS games from now on.

GinSama

Ran way over budget on MGSV.

Didn't kojima did that more than once? And V was the last straw?

About the news I'm happy, metal gear solid was the first game that I really started to follow voice actors and care about the cinematography side of video games, Hayter voice is special I meet him twice in comic con and is a really nice guy

PaintTinJr

In the context of the game, having him voice Punished Venom Snake makes no sense.
Yeah, spot on, and considering this is Gaf you would expect very few to fall in that hole, but seeing the discussion continued around that out of context idea looks like there was very few of us that actually completed the game to see the full story, here on Gaf.

Gojiira

In the context of the game, having him voice Punished Venom Snake makes no sense.
Ironically you’re right 😩 maybe just have David Hayter voiceover that ONE tape by the real Big Boss, I think that would be a better reveal of the truth.

Hudo

Gold Member
Hilarious how petty Konami is that they brought back Hayter for promo just to spite Kojima...
I honestly think that the people at Konami don't really think about Kojima at all anymore. They brought back Hayter because they knew it would make for a cool marketing opportunity.

SkylineRKR

The Kiefer hire was Kojima's biggest misstep. Say what you want about Hayter, but any performance of his is a million times better than what Sutherland phoneboothd in for MGSV.

Yes and no. In Ground Zeroes, which was very dark and BB wasn't a mute I felt Kiefer's performance to be fitting. But in PP it seems they ran out of budget or something, Kiefer barely speaks and what he speaks he kinda phones in.

In hindsight PP is stupid, with the vocal cord parasites and Skull Face going full comedy so Hayter would be a good fit there.

Yeah he was in work trouble few years back
Did not know that. Fair play to him tho, am sure there's many who wouldn't as it would be 'beneath' them.
Truth be told all his MGS money would be gone anyways. Imagine if he got like 80k for MGS4 - that was 15 years ago.

Last edited:
In my opinion it never made any sense. Because if so, liquid and solidus would have also needed hayter's voice. I really think we had his voice as big boss in mgs3 because people was angry enough with mgs2, and they wanted snake back. Big boss is also voiced by someone else in 4

Top Bottom