• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dawn of Sorrow is fantastic and on par with SotN

SantaC

Gold Member
I had to replay Dawn of Sorrow after the awesome Castlevania Advance collection. And the game is a lot better than I remember it to be. The spritework is such an upgrade over AoS. The Castle feels bigger, there are plenty of cool secrets to discover. Weapon synth from souls make souls more useful as well.

demonguesthouse.jpg

The Demon Guest house is my favorite area in the game. Very atmospheric.

The worst part is the touchcontrols, but there is a fanpatch that removes the drawing of magic seals and makes the iceblocks destroyable with normal weapons.

Everybody raves over AoS, but Dawn is the better game.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
to me, all the castlevanie 2d games were awesome, except the one with the weird ass colors that hurts my eyes on gba i think.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I remember when i played aria of sorrow when some people was saying the same thing...boy the disappointment was enormous to say the least :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me to finish up Circle of the Moon. It's great, but the card system sucks ass.

GrayFoxPL

I had to replay Dawn of Sorrow after the awesome Castlevania Advance collection. And the game is a lot better than I remember it to be. The spritework is such an upgrade over AoS. The Castle feels bigger, there are plenty of cool secrets to discover. Weapon synth from souls make souls more useful as well.

demonguesthouse.jpg

The Demon Guest house is my favorite area in the game. Very atmospheric.

The worst part is the touchcontrols, but there is a fanpatch that removes the drawing of magic seals and makes the iceblocks destroyable with normal weapons.

Everybody raves over AoS, but Dawn is the better game.

Spock Encerio GIF

Kuranghi

to me, all the castlevanie 2d games were awesome, except the one with the weird ass colors that hurts my eyes on gba i think.

Were you emulating? If yes its normal to think that because its not supposed to look like that:

Castlevania isn't shown there but its the same deal afaik.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Were you emulating? If yes its normal to think that because its not supposed to look like that:

Castlevania isn't shown there but its the same deal afaik.

no, its original.

Yea I remember, its Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance, looks awful to me.

Saber

Gold Member
Good to see people liking those games. Castlevania DS was the best Castlevania era, apart from Portrait of Ruin that is.

DoS is my favorite of the GBA/DS games, but I have not yet played OoE.

If you gonna play Order of Ecclesia you're in for a good experience. The artwork, music and level design in this game is superb.

Last edited:

Kuramu

Good to see people liking those games. Castlevania DS was the best Castlevania era, apart from Portrait of Ruin that is.

If you gonna play Order of Ecclesia you're in for a good experience. The artwork, music and level design in this game is superb.
Portrait of Ruin? The only one i'll never play again.
I'm replaying HoD right now and I'm enjoying it more this time. The blue outline around you, and bats for some reason, is so.... well i dont like it but i'm sure it was to make them pop

Fbh

I love both Aria and Dawn of Sorrow, 2 awesome games.
DoS is amazing, easily one of my favorite in the series and of the best games on the DS too.

About the only thing I don't like is the anime art style instead of the awesome Ayami Kojima style. Though it's not like it makes much of difference in game.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Honestly all the DS ones were super good, I kind of consider this era peak Metroidvania (hey, remember when that word was used to distinguish which Castlevania games we were talking about rather than being a nonsense name for an entire genre that long predated SotN?)

Jesus, the colour is bad but they absolutely arse-rammed the gamma and ruined the presentation completely.
In fairness, that patch is a manual recolor, not just a palette shift, so they're making some art direction calls you wouldn't see in the patches shown above.

Last edited:
The Sorrows were the best. I agree Dawn was a slight upgrade over Aria. While the seals and soul grinding were marks against it (not to mention the anime art style), the weapons were better balanced and specialized. No more Claimh Solais being the best by a mile.

Top Bottom