• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day late and a dollar short

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What game features from consoles were “day late and a dollar short” for you? Which means something came but came late. I’ll go with cross play. The routine in 2007-2012ish was COD and cross play (play against other console and pc players) would have been useful. I remember friends fighting over which console to buy MW2 for, ps3 or 360, who’s friend are you following and to what console.

s-l1600.jpg

Any other good examples?

MrRibeye

Console wraps/skins/covers that can be purchased separately as an accessory, and don't require the purchase of an entire limited edition console.

Xbox launched console wraps/skins/covers in 2023:
d1abd34c-a8c5-494e-bec7-02d7bc2157ac.jpg

PlayStation already had faceplates in 2015 on the PS4:
41YQRCVdkTS._SL1000_.jpg

I may be wrong about the year of introduction and who came first and it doesn't matter. The fact is that this could've been huge during the X360 era and maybe even as far back as the PS2, since gaming culture was so tribal back then.

Last edited:

intbal

Console wraps/skins/covers that can be purchased separately as an accessory, and don't require the purchase of an entire limited edition console.

41YQRCVdkTS._SL1000_.jpg

I may be wrong about the year of introduction and who came first and it doesn't matter. The fact is that this could've been huge during the X360 era and maybe even as far back as the PS2, since gaming culture was so tribal back then.

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding you.
Faceplates were a major design feature of the Xbox 360. From day one.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

41YQRCVdkTS._SL1000_.jpg

I may be wrong about the year of introduction and who came first and it doesn't matter. The fact is that this could've been huge during the X360 era .........

Faceplates and skins could have been huge during the X360 era?

lwlqa6n4nfr71.jpg

my-precious-faceplates-v0-e01e6m063v7b1.jpg

MrRibeye

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding you.
Faceplates were a major design feature of the Xbox 360. From day one.
yeah I may have worded that poorly, I’m talking about those wraps that completely enclose the console, that’s just *now* a thing with XSX and PS5 right?

intbal

yeah I may have worded that poorly, I’m talking about those wraps that completely enclose the console, that’s just *now* a thing with XSX and PS5 right?
Nope.
Those were around for the duration of the 360's life.
I don't know about PS3, but I assume they were available there, too.

MrRibeye

Nope.
Those were around for the duration of the 360's life.
I don't know about PS3, but I assume they were available there, too.
Right, so I checked. Full enclosing console wraps were not an official accessory for the Xbox 360, as per: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-accessories-retirement
You are right 3rd-party custom console cases existed back then, and they look sick, but installing them would void the warranty of your console :messenger_loudly_crying:

Official console wraps are a day late and a dollar short, because they arrived with the XSX when they could have already been an official thing on the X360.

I Win Game Over GIF by Sadie
Bill Gates Swag GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom