• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDR Mario's Mix - Screens + Box

olimario

Banned
3661320050615_194431_21_big.jpg
3661320050615_194423_17_big.jpg
3661320050615_194418_5_big.jpg
3661320050615_194418_6_big.jpg
3661320050615_194419_8_big.jpg

http://www.jeux-france.com/news10729.html

olimario said:

Best mario render yet.
I'm getting this. I'm a sap for fun peripheral games. Bongos and stupid footy floor pad things (this one's crap actually)... next up: EyeToy and this.

The minigames looked good, what little I've seen of them. Hammer Bros? Long time no see.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I hope the soundtrack's of the same quality as Konga.

You know, so I can save the money for other games.

They changed the pad! Didn't it originally have a silhouette of Mario and Luigi on it, with "Here We Go!"? (I think different B and A labels, as well.)

Always bugs me how the DDR pads don't have extra sensors for the other two unused spots. Would allow for more future expansion and use.

M3wThr33

Banned
Only Konami never adds the bottom corners. Nearly all 3rd parties have stuff down there.

But this isn't technomotion (Uses all 9 spots) or PIU (Diagonals + Middle). Hell, Konami hasn't put in solo mode (Upper-left,right) since 4th mix in Japan.

GDGF

Soothsayer
robochimp said:
That is a real head scratcher

:lol It's the title of a rather kick ass song. You can find it (and the awesome video that comes with it) in the extras footage of Cabin Fever.

here's the old pad

dance-dance-revolution-with-mario-20050122020442000.jpg

Another topic of discussion (from IGN) ...

Nintendo representatives were quick to point out DDR w/ Mario lacks the overall degree of challenge from other, non-GameCube DDR titles.

Why the hell? Why not put in some high degrees of difficulty... do they realize how many DDR fans are going to pick this up? I can see why there would need to be easier difficulties for the "target market", but why not program difficult steps for us hardcore?

Did anyone here play the game at E3, and did you try to pick a really hard difficulty?

ChrisReid

segatavis said:
Why the hell? Why not put in some high degrees of difficulty... do they realize how many DDR fans are going to pick this up? I can see why there would need to be easier difficulties for the "target market", but why not program difficult steps for us hardcore?

I love me some Donkey Konga.. but I seriously can't get into DDR. I've got Ultramix 1/2, and not even the easiest songs are remotely playable for me. I just get twisted up and can't make anything connect.

Those warnings across 2/9ths of the pad are pretty horrible too.

Ah, thanks. Hm... The new pad is more "teh matoore," but I kind of liked the old silhouettes and the cheesy "Here We Go!"... the silhouette on the new pad looks like a ducking kick render made all the way back for Mario 64 that Nintendo repeatedly used in a lot of promotional materials...

As for difficulty, on the left side of this Jeux-France DDR Mario Mix video, the fellow playing Mario seems to be playing Very Hard, and that's a fair amount of arrows...

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
segatavis said:
LOL no that is not a fair amount of arrows to those who actually play DDR. Looks like this game is for beginners only.
I'm not going to watch the video, too lazy. But DDR got quite a bit less fun, particularly the new songs, around the time of DDRMAX. All the obnoxious dark trance-y techno and all the songs with buckets of arrows... challenging? Sure. Fun? Not so much. At least older hard songs had fun steps. There were tons of "Catastrophic" songs I'd play for fun (THAT'S RIGHT "MY SUMMER LOVE," I'M LOOKIN' AT YOU!), and whatever. Now it's just endurance and less fun steps.

That being said, I miss playing quite a bit. I should get a metal pad...

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
segatavis said:
here's the old pad

dance-dance-revolution-with-mario-20050122020442000.jpg

Another topic of discussion (from IGN) ...

Did anyone here play the game at E3, and did you try to pick a really hard difficulty?

IIRC they had Easy, Normal, Hard and Very Hard settings for each song, at least they did at the Nintendo UK Post-E3 show last Monday.

Hard and Very Hard did pose quite difficult, but I've never really been much of a DDR'er and it was quite embarassing. :lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Most avid DDR players already knew about the difficulty being pretty simple, you can tell from the screens Nintendo has released. As a DDR player, I'm glad this exists so more people get into the series. DDR is one of those games that just isn't fun on the lower levels after you've been playing for awhile. Playing on Light Mode is boring as hell when you can do Heavy Mode.

Like that Very Hard mode video from Jeux France would be like a 6 or 7 on the medium setting for the regular DDR games. If that's as far as it can go, then I'm going to have to pass. But I might pick it up as a gift for people I'm trying to get into DDR. I've been able to convince three friends to play already, and they became addicted within a few songs. Hopefully I can do it for more people with Mario Mix. People always love DDR, you just got to get them on the stage. Everyone is worried about not being good at it, but nobody started out doing those hard songs. Get up there and dance, fool!

I'll agree that after a certain point DDR become more about endurance than anything. I can read pretty much any song, but that doesn't mean I can do it, physical endurance is the only thing holding me back at this point. Which is kinda sad since I ran track in high school...

Top Bottom