• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Since Tuesday actually.

Hmmm, maybe I just haven't checked well enough if everything was unlocked. I don't recall hearing the unlock sound that I did on Xbox One/Xbox 360 when I tried there.

Edit: Bonus Honoka pic!
deadoralive5lastround99sg0.jpg

Hmmm, maybe I just haven't checked well enough if everything was unlocked. I don't recall hearing the unlock sound that I did on Xbox One/Xbox 360 when I tried there.

Wow. Honoka is huge. Do you have any pics of Nyo Tengu in her bikini? I havent really had a good look at it yet, as Im waiting for the PC version.

I know this is a long shot..
But can anyone hook me up with a Walmart New Challengers code for Xbox One?
I can compensate monetarily :) (but let's not get crazy, ok?)

Hadoukie

Saved

Dem delicious curves...

when is this coming on steam ;_;

They say at the end of the month, but I'm losing hope of that happening. The lack of info has gotten ridiculous. I won't buy the game if I don't know anything about the port.

system11

DOA5LR Survey
If you havent filled out this yet please do and make sure to post all your positive and negative feedback there plus suggestion etc.

Thanks for posting this, had no idea they were even taking a survey.

Just got around to submitting mine - I said they need to make countering easier again, almost nobody uses it online anymore despite being a main feature of the series because it's just too dangerous with 4 point, network lag and a tiny window.

Also complained about bikinis, not that they exist, just the sheer number of them.

Begged for Leon costumes, can't explain why I like him more than Bayman, I just do.

Pointed out that Helena is best waifu.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Thanks for posting this, had no idea they were even taking a survey.

Just got around to submitting mine - I said they need to make countering easier again, almost nobody uses it online anymore despite being a main feature of the series because it's just too dangerous with 4 point, network lag and a tiny window.
I think the counter window is fine. They dont need to adjust the counter window for online play but actually bother to make the netcode better.

Also complained about bikinis, not that they exist, just the sheer number of them.
Good.
Begged for Leon costumes, can't explain why I like him more than Bayman, I just do.
Cause he plays differently than Bayman and his playstyle fits you better?

system11

Disappointing! I always though patches came a little slow on the Xbox 360 back in the day (my main console that generation), but it was never more than a few days more than the PS3 updates, maybe a week at most. This time around though it seems to be the Xbox One patches are fast and the PS4 ones arrive late (from a Europe perspective at least).

system11

Cause he plays differently than Bayman and his playstyle fits you better?

They're pretty similar, it's the actual character design I just prefer.

I really do feel strongly about the counter system though, it's been tuned for higher level players which throws out of the window part of the series accessibility which was one of its strong points. If you go back and compare what we have now to (for example) arcade rev DOA2, it's vastly different. They used to feel like an organic part of the game, now they just feel like a random bonus you sometimes get. Either fix the window or go back to 3 point (preferably).

system11

Disappointing! I always though patches came a little slow on the Xbox 360 back in the day (my main console that generation), but it was never more than a few days more than the PS3 updates, maybe a week at most. This time around though it seems to be the Xbox One patches are fast and the PS4 ones arrive late (from a Europe perspective at least).

Yep, SCEE are the reason. They seem to treat different publishers differently in addition to frequently getting things wrong. It was very telling that when Eurogamer asked Sony for comment recently, they got a reply from Tecmo in the end. When a publisher has to step in to answer questions for you because you're too cowardly to admit fault, something is really broken.

Vazra

They used to feel like an organic part of the game, now they just feel like a random bonus you sometimes get. Either fix the window or go back to 3 point (preferably).
3 point system with the current window is as far as I would go and still I prefer if 4 system stays as the counters they were not meant to be spammed and making counters should be rewarding and not gratuitous like they were before.

system11

3 point system with the current window is as far as I would go and still I prefer if 4 system stays as the counters they were not meant to be spammed and making counters should be rewarding and not gratuitous like they were before.

3 point with the current window would be fine with me. 4 point I really dislike though, it's just a guessing game with such a small window. The way they were before was how the game was designed, it was always supposed to be a significant part of the fight and a key difference between this series and others.

Vazra

3 point with the current window would be fine with me. 4 point I really dislike though, it's just a guessing game with such a small window. The way they were before was how the game was designed, it was always supposed to be a significant part of the fight and a key difference between this series and others.
Which while accessible it kept it from being a competitive game.

system11

Pretty sure more casual players are paying most of the bills. It's something Itagaki was recently complaining about in an interview - tailor your games too much to the hardcore and you leave behind everyone else.

The combination of 4 point and a tiny window makes the counter system null and void for everyone else, or at best a high risk. It's easier to learn to deal with the window size than it is to deal with 4 point. Going back to 3 is the single change I would make if I were allowed to make just one.

Eolz

Since we're just at giving opinions, I wouldn't change anything about the counter window (seriously, it was huge before) nor the 4-point system.
In casual matches, people don't even bother to block tbh, switching back to 3 point wouldn't change much in the habits of most casual players, and wouldn't make the game more accessible, but simpler.

DOA is still pretty accessible for a fighting game.

Vazra

Since we're just at giving opinions, I wouldn't change anything about the counter window (seriously, it was huge before) nor the 4-point system.
In casual matches, people don't even bother to block tbh, switching back to 3 point wouldn't change much in the habits of most casual players, and wouldn't make the game more accessible, but simpler.

DOA is still pretty accessible for a fighting game.

Exactly and offline play the counter window works perfectly like it should. Its more a matter of fixing the netcode for it to be more responsive.

system11

I've seen plenty of people blocking, and plenty trying to counter, but it's easy to just spam random non-combo attacks at them and people rarely manage to counter it, which kind of breaks a large part of what made DOA, DOA. If you're blocking, you're holding away from the attacker, it's against basic brain logic to have to push forward in case of a mid kick.

As originally designed, the series was supposed to see frequent use of holds (counter) and throws, now you see mostly attacks with some throws in there, and almost no holds at all.

At least it's not like DOA++.

Ferr986

What do you mean with 3 and 4 point system?

I think holds are fine in this game. Hell, wouldnt mind if they nerf the damage a bit.

I dont see how making holds easier would make the game more easy for the "casuals". The PRO would just keep countering all of their attacks even more easily than now, bringing more frustration IMO.

Vazra

You are supposed to throw the counter at the right time to be rewarded with good damage against the opponent for doing the right read. Most people with the huge counter window would randomly guess and be rewarded making the game a counterfest which while some might like that is not the most interesting thing for matches. You can counter just fine offline so I don't see issue with the counter window as it is.

system11

What do you mean with 3 and 4 point system?

I think holds are fine in this game. Hell, wouldnt mind if they nerf the damage a bit.

I dont see how making holds easier would make the game more easy for the "casuals". The PRO would just keep countering all of their attacks even more easily than now, bringing more frustration IMO.

DOA has used multiple 'point' hold (counter) systems over the years.

First game only had two - one for high and mid attacks of either type, one for low attacks.

DOA++ had six which was totally ridiculous, different counter method for each of high/low/mid punch/kick.

DOA2 had 4, with mid-punch and mid-kick being a different counter input, that's actually where we are now but with a smaller window.

DOA3 had 3 point with mid punch and mid kick being the same counter, this is the one I preferred.

As for the counter damage I don't think they should nerf that (again, already done once). Since they're now difficult high risk moves they shouldn't be doing less than simple PPP combos which is currently the case.

Ferr986

First game only had two - one for high and mid attacks of either type, one for low attacks.

DOA++ had six which was totally ridiculous, different counter method for each of high/low/mid punch/kick.

DOA2 had 4, with mid-punch and mid-kick being a different counter input, that's actually where we are now but with a smaller window.

DOA3 had 3 point with mid punch and mid kick being the same counter, this is the one I preferred.

As for the counter damage I don't think they should nerf that (again, already done once). Since they're now difficult high risk moves they shouldn't be doing less than simple PPP combos which is currently the case.

Thanks!
Then I gotta say I like the 4 point system too. Atleast when I'm facing a guy that is VERY GOOD at holds I have a chance of winning with mixing punchs and kicks.
3 point system would make a fight against that dude almost imposible for me. (tbh I never played DOA3 so I dont have any experience with its hold system).

About the damage ... well yeah, you're probably right there.

system11

Thanks!
Then I gotta say I like the 4 point system too. Atleast when I'm facing a guy that is VERY GOOD at holds I have a chance of winning with mixing punchs and kicks.
3 point system would make a fight against that dude almost imposible for me. (tbh I never played DOA3 so I dont have any experience with its hold system).

About the damage ... well yeah, you're probably right there.

If someone keeps using hold you could just throw them, there originally existed a concept where each form of attack had a natural enemy, but that's gone out of the window how that hold is useless.

Demoskinos

I think 4-point holds is where its at. 3 point would make the game too easy. The majority of attacks with a lot o characters all hit mid if you put kick & punch on the same input it would drastically reduce the difficulty of the game and make it way more counter heavy.

Vazra

What they need to do is work more on the attack properties. Everyone tracks except poor Kokoro ; ___ ;

DunpealD

Going have to correct you on the bolded one. DoA2 also had 3 point system. It wasn't until DoA4 that they implemented the 4 point system, ironically supposedly the DoA that went Full-Itagaki.

So you're saying the competitive community's favorite known as DoA3 wasn't a competitive game? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That's quite a bold statement.

Personally I prefer the 3 point system. But that's just personal bias and being used to 3 point system for 2 games(DoA2 and 3).

Vazra

So you're saying the competitive community's favorite known as DoA3 wasn't a competitive game? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That's quite a bold statement.

I like DOA3 the best from the previous games but to me DOA5 triumphs it in the gameplay department easily. The 3 counter point system worked fine at the time albeit being too easy to counter things in the game. Also the character balance wasn't fucked up like DOA4 that even with the 3 point system implemented it would still been garbage.

Skilletor

Doa2 was 4 point. Console versions had 'console' counter option to make it 3. We always thought the game played terribly with the easier counter option.

Go look up any movelist or faq for the game.

DunpealD

Doa2 was 4 point. Console versions had 'console' counter option to make it 3. We always thought the game played terribly with the easier counter option.

Go look up any movelist or faq for the game.

Only thing I found is that DoA2 Ultimate had 4 point system. Which was never up to debate. But from what I've seen the arcade version had 4 point system?

NGKrush

Neo Member
i think people get confused about doa2's 3 or 4 point hold system because of the xbox remake.

the original doa2 had a 3 point system, doa2ultimate introduced the 4 point system that since then has been used for each game.

doa4 did introduce some new things, like eliot having a df+H hold that countered both mp's and mk's, the hold did no damage though (or only a very very small amount) and have a mixup/frame advantage situation.

i think doa5 went a bit further, also in adding (much more of) the advanced holds (b,f+H for example) that do more damage(?) or launch instead of do direct damage.

to be honest, I feel the movelist of doa is really well balanced to the 4 point system. there are soooo many mid moves in this game, and holding low also kindof counters high moves at you instantly duck, so you can still theoretically only use 3 holds if you only use mp, mk and low. a lot of characters are punch or kick focussed, so as an attacker you are really trying to play around the mp/mk differences.

the 3 point system, although fun in doa3 as it has quite a lot of good moves that couldn't be held, after the first hit of a string connected. makes the game too much like a guessing/reaction thing where either player is only using mid Holds and the attacker is looking for this to get the highcounter throw. the 4 point system makes the defender think more, spam less as he needs to be smarter and suddenly opens a much more insteresting stungame. also, struggling out of stuns suddenly becomes part of peoples strategies much quicker, giving even more depth to the system.

Skilletor

Only thing I found is that DoA2 Ultimate had 4 point system. Which was never up to debate. But from what I've seen the arcade version had 4 point system?

The console versions were also 4 points. For some reason, it defaulted to "console" controls (3 point holds) instead of arcade. You could change the counter option when you changed your controls.

DoA2 was a 4 point hold system. It had the option on consoles for 3 points, but it was not designed that way. Why would Ultimate have 4 point holds if the original didn't?

Also, DoA's "advanced holds" are just the original motions for counters in DoA2.

Kaibutsu

as a PSA I want to say I emailed Team Ninja last week asking about when I can buy pre-order packs and that walmart was impossible to get

they replied saying they would forward my email to NA TN

I was sent a walmart code

for this reason I will continue to buy season passes from these guys +Respect

What email did you send it to? I haven't been able to find a contact email for them. I too preordered from Walmart.

Azuardo

Top Bottom