• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 is now the most Viewed KTTrailer Ever, more than Zelda.

Wonder if they'll re-release a Morpheus version of the game later on. Seems like it'd be quite the package to promote VR with.

The problem is of course that DoAX3 could have been any game, all it has going for it is that GG and "anti-censorship" types got thoroughly japed. Play-Asia played these people like a fiddle, and Koei-Tecmo very well may have been doing the same.

-Horizon-

giphy.gif

I don't get the "it wouldn't sell" argument. Compared to other things KT brings over this would probably sell more and cost less to localize.

Thing is, Koei Tecmo never said it wouldn't sell. That's been the narrative from the press, but there isn't a whole lot of evidence for it. The series has always sold better in the west, with the only exceptions I believe being the PSP release. It's also not a high budget title, it never has been. 100-200k sales should be enough for a decent profit. It would have to if they are just looking at Japan and Asia.

So the other options are, they figure the extra sales aren't worth the PR hit, or they are trying to build hype. They could just be pushing for imports, but imports of games tend to be negligible sales wise, so I doubt they are banking on importers for this one.

Justinh

That's the power of the Soft Engine.

EmMAgFY.gif

I don't know man, just because a trailer is popular I don't think means that people would actually buy the game. I'm sure there are a bunch of people out there who want it, and that they're quite vocal that they want it brought over, but I dunno. It just doesn't seem like a game that would sell very well.

I'm unsure though, how did the older games do? I remember them being a thing, but I've never known anyone who actually owned either (or admitted to owning either).

Eolz

Uh, hadn't heard of that, but hadn't really paid much attention to the game. Now it has my attention.

The VR mode is quite something if you go read the recent threads.
Keep in mind it will be in an update later though, since the game is released next month.

RyudBoy

Surprised at the game being a PS exclusive when both of the games before it were only on Xbox. You would think they'd make this multiplatform, but hey maybe someday if they ever release it over here.

Not like I give a shit about exclusivity since I have both consoles.

Surprised at the game being a PS exclusive when both of the games before it were only on Xbox. You would think they'd make this multiplatform, but hey maybe someday if they ever release it over here.

Not like I give a shit about exclusivity since I have both consoles.

How so? Xbone is 1000% irrelevant in the Japanese market, why make a port when is gonna sell like 1k units?

Vlaphor

I've made this point before, and I'll make it again.

When you consider the niche, and the fact that the first two games came out on consoles non-existent in Japan, they sold very well. They are at around a combined 900k in sales, not counting the PSP version. Senran Kagura recently announced they sold a million games in the franchise, and that's with four main games and three side games on consoles much bigger in Japan. DOAX 3 would do just fine in the west.

SilentRob

I'm sure it has nothing to do with a huge planned controversy leading to the whole of GamerGate and the customers of one of the biggest import stores of japanese games to talking about the game, leading to articles on several websites along quite a social media buzz that has pretty much nothing to do with the game itself.

Techmo Koei is a company focused on making money. If their projections told them that Xtreme 3 would have more sales potential than Zelda - or much potential at all - they would have brought it to the west. This number is entirely meaningless when judging actual sales potential.

So the other options are, they figure the extra sales aren't worth the PR hit, or they are trying to build hype. They could just be pushing for imports, but imports of games tend to be negligible sales wise, so I doubt they are banking on importers for this one.

Seeing as the PR has been relatively scant outside of the controversy from not releasing, this first reason is essentially saying "KT don't believe it will sell enough in the West".

Techmo Koei is a company focused on making money. If their projections told them that Xtreme 3 would have more sales potential than Zelda - or much potential at all - they would have brought it to the west. This number is entirely meaningless when judging actual sales potential.

Seeing as the PR has been relatively scant outside of the controversy from not releasing, this first reason is essentially saying "KT don't believe it will sell enough in the West".

We already went over this. The game is being made and is already translated. A western PSN release would take an insignificant amount of work and money compared to those two. There is no chance it would not make money, especially with the DLC potential.

SilentRob

We already went over this. The game is being made and is already translated. A western PSN release would take an insignificant amount of work and money compared to those two. There is no chance it would not make money, especially with the DLC potential.

If you are a bigger publisher you don't just put the game on PSN. You market it. You put dozens, hundreds of man-hours into marketing a game. You create marketing assets, you deal with platform holders, you do interviews, you attend conventions etc. etc. I'm not talking about huge marketing campaigns here, just the regular stuff you do. Outside of a few special cases like Devil's Third, that's just not how you, as a publisher, work. It's your expressed goal to market your game to as big an audience as possible.

If you can't justify stuff like that because the game wouldn't make enough money for it then why put it out in the first place? The profit margin is so small then that it's just not worth it.

Due to the controversy the game got way more attention than it originally got so I can see them announcing a release a few months down the road because the situation changed and there is money to be made off of people who simply want to show the world that they don't care what them "SWJs" are saying, but the core-audience for Dead or Alive Extreme was small in the first place and didn't grow any stronger due to the terrible second game.

Synth

If you are a bigger publisher you don't just put the game on PSN. You market it. You put dozens, hundreds of man-hours into marketing a game. You create marketing assets, you deal with platform holders, you do interviews, you attend conventions etc. etc. I'm not talking about huge marketing campaigns here, just the regular stuff you do. Outside of a few special cases like Devil's Third, that's just not how you, as a publisher, work. It's your expressed goal to market your game to as big an audience as possible.

If you can't justify stuff like that because the game wouldn't make enough money for it then why put it out in the first place? The profit margin is so small then that it's just not worth it

If you think like this, then the game simply shouldn't exist in the first place. It's still gonna be niche in Japan... you're just also not selling everywhere else. This ain't Monster Hunter.

This game doesn't need a huge marketing push... it finds its audience automatically (or more accurately, they find it). What it lacks in raw numbers it'll more than make up with DLC revenue.

Top Bottom