• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding 2 and PHYSINT update from Hideo Kojima via Hideotube

Bartski

Gold Member

• State of Play trailer was captured on PS5. Kojima thinks the graphics will improve even more.

• Production timeline: "The assets are ready we just need to construct them." Japanese audio dubbing will begin this year for release in 2025.

• Sam can now remove his backpack for lighter movement and combat.

• Realtime terrain deformation is in the game. Roads can be cut off via earthquakes, forest fires, floods, etc.

• Ship is called the Magellan. It serves as a moving base that accompanies Sam on deliveries. It can also go underground.

• When Sam connects to the Chiral Network, the ship can move freely to those areas. You can also call it to you.

• Game is on a different continent outside of America, where Sam has gone to connect the Chiral Network.

• Fragile starts a new group called Drawbridge to connect regions outside the UCA. She is their leader and "no longer her weak self from the past."

• A private entity has to go setup the network because If the UCA goes it can be regarded as an invasion.

• The 'Second Hand' that Fragile has will be a big part of the game

• The model for the puppet is Faith Akin, a German director. You'll travel with him by your side and can converse with him on deliveries.

• "Why he became that way, you'll learn as you play the game."

• The cat on George Miller's shoulder is inspired by Captain Harlock

• "Lots of vehicles"

• Elle Fanning's character is 'mysterious', could be friend or foe.

• Those robotic samurais seem to be important. Higgs might help us against them at some point?

about PHYSINT:

"Of course, it's going to be a game. But if your mother walks in and sees you playing this game, she'll think you're watching a movie."

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The whole tube feat is just wild. lmao Reedus still doesn't understand what this game is about

Honestly after that latest trailer I just stopped trying to understand pretty much anything about it and accepted this series for what it probably is supposed to be: a weird fever dream of ultra-bizarre randomness with some actual gameplay in between of some guy walking with a bag of parcels.

kyussman

Goddammit Sony,release some more games that interest me......I can't justify a console for one game,but I need to play this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hideotube

Good lord, this guy. Has there ever been someone in gaming more so in love with themself?

peter-moly.jpg

Frwrd

Thank God someone made a thread about it, watched it but didn’t wanted to make some shitty half assed thread. Thank you 🙏

Edit: isn’t the game in Mexico?

Edit2: Fml, I forgot to mention—did anyone notice Hideo’s reaction when the reporter mentioned that she felt like Higgs could become a friendly or work with us!? 🔥

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly after that latest trailer I just stopped trying to understand pretty much anything about it and accepted this series for what it probably is supposed to be: a weird fever dream of ultra-bizarre randomness with some actual gameplay in between of some guy walking with a bag of parcels.

DS at its core isn't that complicated really. Basically the world of the dead collides with the world of the living and shatters everything into broken pieces; your job as postman Sam is to put the pieces back together. The rest of it just expounds on the scenario with various individuals and factions trying to achieve their often competing goals; be it pro-life or pro-death!

I imagine the sequel can be just as concisely summarised, just further iterating out based on the state of the world at the end of the first part.

From a gameplay standpoint it just simply looks like more of the same, but with the standard combat elements enhanced for a more rounded mix of "rope and stick" content.

To be honest I'd expect it to be more conventional in that respect, I think Kojima might have freaked himself out with how weirdly closely it paralleled the whole Covid/Lockdown experience.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Kojima said hollywood keeps pestering him to make movies but he declines because he knows that if he leaves the studio even for 1-2 years, it would collapse.

Thats a true developer. Meanwhile, Druckmann left the studio for 2 years to make a fucking tv show and had to be forced back mid shooting to come make games again at ND.

midnightAI

Kojima said hollywood keeps pestering him to make movies but he declines because he knows that if he leaves the studio even for 1-2 years, it would collapse.

Thats a true developer. Meanwhile, Druckmann left the studio for 2 years to make a fucking tv show and had to be forced back mid shooting to come make games again at ND.
Well, you could look at it like that, but Druckmann has actually made a very successful much loved TV show, which Kojima hasn't done... yet

Generic

Yeah, and some ppl were wondering if it was running on the Pro.

This game is gonna be stunning.
Kojima is know for promising wonders that end not happening. He said MGS3 would have an open forest with believable fauna, also MGS4 was supposed to have open and destructible urban environments with their own living factions.

I imagine the "earthquakes, forest fires, floods" will be all scripts.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Gets a lot of hate nowadays, but fame will do that to you. He's the best game designer the world has ever seen. Scary shit that fact he got really sick in 2020, guess that's why he was talking about being turned into an AI and all that. Must have made him think a lot about mortality and shit. Can't wait for more games from him.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member

• State of Play trailer was captured on PS5. Kojima thinks the graphics will improve even more.

• Production timeline: "The assets are ready we just need to construct them." Japanese audio dubbing will begin this year for release in 2025.

• Sam can now remove his backpack for lighter movement and combat.

• Realtime terrain deformation is in the game. Roads can be cut off via earthquakes, forest fires, floods, etc.

• Ship is called the Magellan. It serves as a moving base that accompanies Sam on deliveries. It can also go underground.

• When Sam connects to the Chiral Network, the ship can move freely to those areas. You can also call it to you.

• Game is on a different continent outside of America, where Sam has gone to connect the Chiral Network.

• Fragile starts a new group called Drawbridge to connect regions outside the UCA. She is their leader and "no longer her weak self from the past."

• A private entity has to go setup the network because If the UCA goes it can be regarded as an invasion.

• The model for the puppet is Faith Akin, a German director. You'll travel with him by your side and can converse with him on deliveries.

• "Why he became that way, you'll learn as you play the game."

• The cat on George Miller's shoulder is inspired by Captain Harlock

• "Lots of vehicles"

• Elle Fanning's character is 'mysterious', could be friend or foe.

• Those robotic samurais seem to be important. Higgs might help us against them at some point?

Fires? Forests? Underground? Robotic Samurais.

Breathing Heavy Danny Devito GIF by HULU

Wondering about the continent too, with the mention of Mexico "before" in the trailer and the environments we were seeing, I expected it to be South America. But with him saying it's a different content outside America (and assuming he means the Americas as a whole and not North America) then perhaps it's Australia given the George Miller character.

Australia's also the smallest continent and roughly the same size to North America so it'll be equally well-suited to being creatively "abridged".

I also hope this isn't the end of the Death Stranding franchise and that they'll return to it on future gens after PHYSINT gets going. The concept of each iteration being set on a different continent would be awesome. Asia, Africa, South America, Antarctica & Europe could all offer some epic traversal opportunities.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DS at its core isn't that complicated really. Basically the world of the dead collides with the world of the living and shatters everything into broken pieces; your job as postman Sam is to put the pieces back together. The rest of it just expounds on the scenario with various individuals and factions trying to achieve their often competing goals; be it pro-life or pro-death!

I imagine the sequel can be just as concisely summarised, just further iterating out based on the state of the world at the end of the first part.

From a gameplay standpoint it just simply looks like more of the same, but with the standard combat elements enhanced for a more rounded mix of "rope and stick" content.

To be honest I'd expect it to be more conventional in that respect, I think Kojima might have freaked himself out with how weirdly closely it paralleled the whole Covid/Lockdown experience.

I wish he leans more into it.

Shin-Ra

Theyre making $500 controllers that let you jazz hands Fragile?!

Draugoth

Gold Member
Hideo Kojima said his new action-espionage game Physint will have "near life-like graphics” and that "it will be both a game and a movie at the same time

In the new video, Kojima again bigged up Physint’s visuals. “It will be both a game and a movie at the same time,” he said. “That’s why we were at Sony Pictures. A new action-espionage game. Of course, it will be a game. However, if your mother walks in and sees you playing this game, she’ll think you’re watching a movie. I’m not sure how far we can take it yet.”

CamHostage

Too bad he didn't confirm the technical aspect as far as RTGI or ToD, it would be a great improvement as well as a technical breakthrough if the game had a full Time of Day cycle lit with global illumination.

death-stranding-2-on-the-beach-gets-second-trailer.png

(It's Decima Engine, they've faked to bake before and it was still quite nice, plus Death Stranding can run on weird rules where it controls time whenever you visit a location, but it'd be amazing if KojiPro and Guerrilla were able to change the tech here. )

Last edited:
Top Bottom