• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima teases Death Stranding 2 will change the meaning of "strand"

ByWatterson

100% agreed.

In DS2, he'll most likely throw in an extra bone or two for them casuals screaming "but where is teh kombattt" but knowing Kojima's track record with sequells, we are probably in for the greatest mind-fuckery the gaming world has ever seen.

We're going to play as Literally Raiden (like that's him but it's also the character's name).

Punished Isolated Strands

- A fallen rope...

No hover hand?

Gow4l1E.jpg

Damn, what a GIGACHAD.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All of his hyperbolic bullshit regarding DS1 turned out to be 100% true as he mic-dropped the Game of the Gen.

So I am fully on board for more crazy messianic ravings. LFG.

Kojima is such a unique creative. His stuff is just unlike anyone or anything else's, so I understand why some people just don't "get" the appeal.

But, in the final analysis he makes great, idiosyncratic art. And you really have to define it as art given the obsessive detail with which his game's are crafted.

K2D

Banned
5s9a7BQ.gif

"Yes, Troy-san. The licking is a vital part of the story. Please lick her again.. Take 43, aaaaand action"

"Degenerecy is fine as long as it stays in my browser history, but 'oh no', if a person is being shown as a degenerate in my entertainment..!" -You, probably

The fact that you can't have a person being depicted as a degenerate without ridiculing the creator tells me more about you than Kojima.

Whole clip if anyone cares.. Spoilers obviously.

SkylineRKR

I love Death Stranding. Just the desolate feeling, struggling to get from A to B and then I logged in later, and infrastructure was built making it easy. I would also add lots of resources to contribute, it was addicting to me. The game did overstay its welcome, and I enjoyed the mountains less. But then you have to go back and you can use all your well placed zip lines etc to make it a breeze.

There is nothing arrogant about anything he has said in that interview.
Bro, he named an alleged genre of video games that only exists in his mind based on his having made one game thus far in that alleged genre. I can't imagine a game developer fellating himself more than that.

Del_X

"Degenerecy is fine as long as it stays in my browser history, but 'oh no', if a person is being shown as a degenerate in my entertainment..!" -You, probably

The fact that you can't have a person being depicted as a degenerate without ridiculing the creator tells me more about you than Kojima.

Whole clip if anyone cares.. Spoilers obviously.
Yeah but it's corny and the story is shit.

There is nothing arrogant about anything he has said in that interview.
People never actually read the shit in question, especially if this dude is involved. Just the thread title/headline while at some other point probably trashing others for falling for clickbait.

"Strand" is a connection system they talk about a ton in DS1. He's merely saying, literally, it'll mean something else in the second game. He wasn't even alluding to a genre he created or anything. Kojima GETS INTERVIEWED, aka asked to talk about his game, he talks about the game in detail and therefore is an arrogant cunt. "This is what inspired the game and this is how it'll change in the sequel and why" LOOOL pretentious nerd 🤣🤣

Gojiira

I hope the strand means better combat mechanics and scenarios. I want a return to MGSV level of freedom. I am not sure what DS combat was trying to be, but fun it was not.
Dont agree, the combat was Lethal, and you arent playing as a super soldier it was more about using all the tools at your disposal to tip the odds.
Honestly DS is one of few games that really justifies its mechanics, you cant kill because of the void outs and these actually happen if you kill and leave bodies.
Its not as mechanically ‘free’ as MGSV but it is polished and well implemented.

On topic really hoping Kojima talking about music means DS2 will have dynamic music reacting to whatevers happening, that remix of BB’s theme in the trailer was absolutely GOAT, there gonna have to work so so hard to top how that final walk to the incinerator with BB hits.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I’m playing Death Stranding right now thanks to PS Plus and I really thought I was going to hate it. But so far I’m really liking it.

One of the most "fresh" and original ideas of the past few years, also, technically-wise, it's one of the most polished and accomplished titles out there.

Of course, it was the "cool title of the month that people like to shit on®" with people parrotting what some "influencers" and "reviewers" on YouTube said without having touched it obviously and therefore it was labeled as a "walking sim LOL !11" with the same people spouting the now cliche' and cool thing to say like "Kojima.is a hack " , "Kojima never got it to begin with" etc etc...

It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario, people keep crying about genre stagnation and yet, when something new comes out they proceed to shit on it.
You just can't please some people...

The fact that it was also a console exclusive didn't help obviously, how the tables would have turned though if it was available for "free" on Gamepass (on Xbox at least, it was available on PC GP).

One of the best games of its generation

Last edited:

Kerotan

I hope the strand means better combat mechanics and scenarios. I want a return to MGSV level of freedom. I am not sure what DS combat was trying to be, but fun it was not.
Agreed. As a once off game DS was fantastic but the combat would need to evolve going forward. The director's cut missions felt more action packed.

With MGSV kojima set the standard for open world tactical gameplay and movement. Why not progress that even further.

It made sense with the story why there was very little emphasis on killing people but now with America connect, the stranding event averted surely the story can justify actually being able to go around and John Rambo people now or choose stealth if you wish.

Last edited:

Power Pro

pSv89bx.jpg

I love Perfume! And I have a strong Nocchi bias :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I always wish whenever I see one of these articles where she visits a game studio, that I could actually read it.

Ever since she visited Ryu ga gotoku studio, and they scanned her head, I keep wishing she'd show up in one of their games.

Aces High

Loved the first game at first. But then I fell down a mountain and everything I was carrying got damaged (really long fall).

So I said 'fuck it' and decided to sprint and swim through the map to check out places.

That killed the entire atmosphere, though, and the invisible foot things lost their scariness. Like looking behind the curtain and realizing it's all smoke and mirrors. So I uninstalled it.

I would love to have better mountaineering gear in the new game.

That's debatable. But what isn't debatable is how fucking far up his own ass he is. Back when he got fired from Konami, I was firmly on his side. Now I think I understand why Konami fired his ass. He must be a nightmare to deal with and he really needs someone who is able to say "no" to him.
What exactly are they saying 'no' to?

Hudo

What exactly are they saying 'no' to?
Some of his indulgences, like exposition dump cutscenes that are overly long or his writing that, at least in MGS5 and Death Stranding, was too pseudo-intellectual, imho. Where he just fucking tried too hard to be deep and it shows. But maybe it's just me.
I still think he peaked with MGS1,2 (and maybe 3). And on those projects, he had writers and assistant directors helping him out and producers who said to him "ok, wrap it up, get it done.". And I now I'm starting to think that this helped tremendously. Chris Roberts is also one who is in dire need of a "no-man". His work was his best when he was with Origin Systems and had people supervising him. Granted, my favorite of his games is Freelancer but even there, he had to step down from the position of director because the project just went on and on until Microsoft put their foot down.

Top Bottom