• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEBATE: Do you think Resident Evil is almost dead, sans the upcoming remake?

7 was good enough for me. I wanted more from it, but am satisfied with what I got. 2 looks like it's going to be the best one in many years. That's ironic given it's a reimagining of the 2nd. Which is totally fine with me.

I am upbeat when it comes to the future of this series. I grew up with it and want it to continue so there is that forged through the years bias rearing it's ugly head. :unsure:

JCK75

I think it does need to go in some new directions like 7 to stay fresh..
but I'm that one guy who enjoyed Halloween III and wanted the movies that followed to continue to just tell new scary tales.

Roni

Gold Member
I didn't say it was a cheap cash in, I'm just saying it's a "sure thing" type of release...

If it had been a sure thing, this remake would've been made in 2003. When fans of the series saw the original's remake and started asking for it. This remake has been 16 years in the making for some of us.

There was no sure thing for Capcom here.

NahaNago

I kind of feel like the hype surrounding Resident Evil has gone down even with 7 being a great game. Maybe making it a timed playstation exclusive could generate some hype for the series or at least get folks talking about it a lot more but at the same time could further kill the series. I kinda feel that the tomb raider timed exclusive somewhat hurt Tomb raiders momentum considering how quiet it has been surrounding the new tomb raider game.

No offense to anybody who loves remakes, but I think it's a bit early for Capcom to semi-announce that more remakes are planned when 2 ain't even out yet. And as I've said before, I don't care much for remakes. They all suggest that companies have ran out of ideas. The franchise is nowhere close to being resolved. I'm sure I'll get people calling me out on that again. But honestly, we just need way better (horror) sequels and NOT more remakes.

Resident Evil is a mediocre series. It was never alive to me. The tank controls on the PS1 games were unacceptable and paled in comparison to how the Saturn 2D games controlled in that era. Resident Evil 4 was over-rated by critics everywhere, and also had poor controls. Sorry, I was already spoiled by K&M on Half-Life PC so what were those "critics" playing this game on again? I had Code Veronica on the DC but never finished it: I wanted exploding limbs like those found in The House of the Dead and didn't find it there. I was shooting at sponges that looked like zombies. I did enjoy the 3D effect on Revelations 3DS though, but that's the only thing I could remember.

The hype about Resident Evil is something I could not quite understand. I gave the series a lot of chances on many platforms but always ended up being disappointed.

Resident Evil is a mediocre series. It was never alive to me. The tank controls on the PS1 games were unacceptable and paled in comparison to how the Saturn 2D games controlled in that era. Resident Evil 4 was over-rated by critics everywhere, and also had poor controls. Sorry, I was already spoiled by K&M on Half-Life PC so what were those "critics" playing this game on again? I had Code Veronica on the DC but never finished it: I wanted exploding limbs like those found in The House of the Dead and didn't find it there. I was shooting at sponges that looked like zombies. I did enjoy the 3D effect on Revelations 3DS though, but that's the only thing I could remember.

The hype about Resident Evil is something I could not quite understand. I gave the series a lot of chances on many platforms but always ended up being disappointed.

I hear ya. It's not a series for everyone. It's either you're into it or you're not, hard to find the middle ground. Although RE4 changed things up a lot, and non-resi fans became fans thanks to that game... or maybe they became fans of just RE4? either way, not for everyone. Silent Hill man, that series is just to scary for me. I managed to go through part 1, those shitty graphics made it even scarier for me. Reminds me of old school horror movies when CG wasn't great but it actually aided in the creepiness.

RE2 looks like a step in the right direction, though. RE4, 5 and 6 are action games sugar coated as horror games. They have their moments, but they just felt too flashy and Hollywood to me.

Top Bottom