• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Down Development Was Close To Completion Before Being Shelved

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Is there any chance the Panta Rhei engine became the new Resident Evil engine with all that photogrammetry?

If so, it was worth shelving deep down.

Cos Capcom have had hit after hit and hit this gen.
It might have, but they wouldn't have shelved Deep Down if it was looking like an amazing or even good game if it was close to completion. They were probably thinking, lets not damage our reputation anymore by releasing this turd, and you can see immediately after that the quality of their games skyrocketed.

Radical_3d

Never forget.

source.gif

Carna

Banned
All I saw from that game was Capcom leaving a bad impression that they were copying Dark Souls.

LordKasual

Banned
I highly doubt this.

Game felt like little more than a tech demo, probably played like one too. Only thing i can imagine stopped it from being released if it was actually "close to completion".

The Alien

Banned
Sony must have wanted development parity with Microsoft... "Scalebound has been cancelled!? I'll see your Scalebound and raise you a DEEP DOWN!"
Agreed.

It also gives XBox fans a reason to say:
"Deep Down was cancelled? Damn, that was the one game that woulda made me buy a Playstation."

SCB3

Is there any chance the Panta Rhei engine became the new Resident Evil engine with all that photogrammetry?

Nah the RE engine was made for RE7 originally and then got refined and adapted for DMCV etc

CJY

Banned
Probably, I mean some of the Development there could have been used elsewhere though
I can actually see Deep Down coming back. The reason it was shelved was likely to do with not being able to match what was shown in the original demo and would have been seen as being too much of a downgrade in terms of particles and general visualFX.

Godfall looks like it has a similar level of visual fidelity to Deep Down, so I can see it coming back. Most launch-window games aren't generally known for their amazing gameplay, so I feel the reason it was shelved was likely due to the power f PS4 being far weaker than original anticipated.

We'll see.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Game ran on a PC anyway. It probably would have been downgraded to hell just like SW1313 (altogether missing), Watch Dogs, Witcher 3 and alot of other demos to run on consoles.

Last edited:

K.N.W.

I think it might be poissible, since Deep Down was aiming for 60 frames per second, which would have translated into the high framerates of RE 2.

It might have, but they wouldn't have shelved Deep Down if it was looking like an amazing or even good game if it was close to completion. They were probably thinking, lets not damage our reputation anymore by releasing this turd, and you can see immediately after that the quality of their games skyrocketed.

Yeah, I don't get the sentimentality for this game when all signs points towards it being absolute ass.

Perrott

Gold Member
I can actually see Deep Down coming back. The reason it was shelved was likely to do with not being able to match what was shown in the original demo and would have been seen as being too much of a downgrade in terms of particles and general visualFX.

Godfall looks like it has a similar level of visual fidelity to Deep Down, so I can see it coming back. Most launch-window games aren't generally known for their amazing gameplay, so I feel the reason it was shelved was likely due to the power f PS4 being far weaker than original anticipated.

We'll see.
Most of the visual features shown in the original trailer could've been achieved on the console with the right tools and more experience with the hardware. In fact, many of those visual effects (like the fluid simulations for fire) were present on the TGS 2014 gameplay demo of Deep Down.

Also, the game was as linear as The Order and I don't have to remind y'all how good TO1886 looks.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Most of the visual features shown in the original trailer could've been achieved on the console with the right tools and more experience with the hardware. In fact, many of those visual effects (like the fluid simulations for fire) were present on the TGS 2014 gameplay demo of Deep Down.
Oh yeah? That's interesting. Didn't know there was ever a gameplay demo.

kiphalfton

Capcom shouldn't have even released some of the crap they did, well at least in the state the finished product was in. Marvel vs Capcom, Dead Rising 4, Umbrella Corps, SFV, and games from earlier this gen gave them a bad name. Again, they shouldn't have released the games in the condition they were in. Currently, it's pretty much just come down to them not making stupid decisions, though they're playing it safer by remaking games. However they can only remake so many games before people start getting annoyed. That or they can only milk a franchise before people become disenchanted by it (i.e. what happened to Call of Duty, Assasssins Creed, etc.).

CAB_Life

Just gimme Dragon’s Dogma 2 with a robust online component (not like the original, more like DS), and all will be forgiven.

Keihart

The combat for deepdown looked soo cool. You had to aim some melee attacks and stuff.
I bet that since the game was going to be a freemium experience of sorts, they just backpedaled on the commitment to it, because that meant having constant resources available to update the game to keep it alive.

footage of the game in case someone missed it, i think it already looked like a fun game.

Last edited:

The Shepard

Was well hyped for this game when I got my ps4 at launch. It could have been another warframe, a game I still go back to every now and then and play. Sad that it never got released.

Idk, I still want this. It was the game that made my jaw drop when PS4 was unveiled 7 years ago.. (yikes) I hope we get a PS5 revival with Single Player and Online Co-Op.

This always happens; the first games they show for a console never come out. On PS3, it was Dark Sector (that version of it at least), The Getaway, and Eight Days.

I still want all those games to be made.. gahh

Top Bottom