• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Down, Sales, current stable of IP, and Where Capcom Goes from Here

Jawmuncher

Capcom doesn't use external studios anymore, don't they?

The way I see it as a studio Capcom is far too small for releasing big games in quick succession. Now they're keeping everything internal + Capcom Vancouver and well, this is what you get. Lots of remasters/re-releases and long development times on their games.

They use them somewhat. Not a Hero DLC was external and had to be fixed in-house. They have characters created at external studios as well. They haven't used a big external studio like ninja theory or something to make a game as of late though

Itsuno has better things to do than rescuing someone else's experiments.

They'll probably be supporting Infinite for a few years at least.

Japan mostly cares about MH though.

Non portable MH tho?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
want to feel depressed? just look at capcoms tgs line up.
That's fine with me. MHW is all I want from them. I mean I'd love a new Dragon's Dogma but I ain't holding my breath.

Capcom is more than just monster hunter lol.
Not anymore it ain't

I'm the exact opposite. I hope whatever he's working on is Dogma related
Damn straight. Unlikely though.

Edit:
Damn Japanese dragons!
Yeah what a weird post. Japan didn't invent that... I mean, dragons are 4-legged and wyverns are 2-legged, isn't that well-known in nerd circles? xD

Jawmuncher

That's fine with me. MHW is all I want from them. I mean I'd love a new Dragon's Dogma but I ain't holding my breath.

Not anymore it ain't

Damn straight. Unlikely though.

I mean worse comes to worst capcom is RE and Monster hunter. Though even both of those titles recently undersold. So they got work to do.

Neoxon

Itsuno will revive Deep Down. #Believe

Anyway, marvel will soon be on the list of dead franchises. RIP.
I'm honestly not too sure about that. Barring a SFV-esque launch disaster, MvCI may do okay as long as it reviews well & has a serviceable amount of modes on Day 1 (which it seems to have). 2 million copies in 6 months isn't exactly that outlandish. The only place where I could see issues coming up would be with DLC & esports profits having to be split with Marvel Entertainment.

Mahonay

Banned
I feel naive for getting so hype for Deep Down pre-PS4 launch.

Looking back now, everything they showed screamed tech demo/target renders/vaporware.

Kyoufu

They use them somewhat. Not a Hero DLC was external and had to be fixed in-house. They have characters created at external studios as well. They haven't used a big external studio like ninja theory or something to make a game as of late though

Non portable MH tho?

MHW should do at least a million when all is said and done, which is much better than what RE7 did. It's definitely their biggest game in Japan for the next couple of years.

Zukkoyaki

I know Capcom swore they wouldn't do it but Street Fighter V could reeeeeally use a Super release that includes the 12 characters from Seasons 1 and 2 (once it's finished) and an arcade mode for like $40. Yes, not the first say it but it's such a no-brainer.

Jawmuncher

MHW should do at least a million when all is said and done, which is much better than what RE7 did.

RE7 was anti-japan with a lot of the changes. More realistic tone, first person view. So it's understandable why it didn't do well in Japan. I'm still curious about MHW. It should do well in japan to at least the tune you said. But there's always a chance things don't pan out. Especially when is related to capcom.

Neoxon

Not in a good place at least.
To quote Jawmuncher...
Eh. Street Fighter is one of those franchises that can't really die at this point. Since it's basically synonymous with Esports. I will say that SF6 will probably go back to being multi-plat (Capcom didn't need Sony to make the game. Sony just upped the priority on their list) and with a actual focused release. Capcom knows at this point if they want the casual sales they need more than what they've been offering. So it's not a hard thing for them to fix.
As such, I don't think anyone should really be concerned about Street Fighter's future.

I know Capcom swore they wouldn't do it but Street Fighter V could reeeeeally use a Super release that includes the 12 characters from Seasons 1 and 2 (once it's finished) and an arcade mode for like $40. Yes, not the first say it but it's such a no-brainer.
Capcom said that they wouldn't force people to pay for a Super update that would split the player-base. If the balance changes & new modes are a free update while the physical re-release just includes the current DLC characters, they'd stay true to their word.

Fiendcode

Both have had multiple releases in recent years, and both have had similar gaps between releases. That was my reason in comparing the two.
Except they aren't similar gaps, DR has had many more releases overall and even has an entire studio primairily dedicated to the franchise. They're really not at all comparable.

SB3 to 4 saw a similar gap. Like I said I think it's premature to declare anything about the series future. SB relies heavily on asset reuse, and the amount of ground-up content per release is relatively small. It's possible SB5 wouldn't be a generational leap like SB3 or SB4, so costs wouldn't balloon like with those.

We'll see. If there's nothing announced by the end of next year, then I'll question the series' future.
Capcom highlighted Basara as one of the three properties they'll be focusing on for their new licensing mobile initiative, along with Monster Hunter and Mega Man. It's clear the property is continuing but I think we can already start questioning it's future on consoles now.

RE5's target was 2.3m.
It's final target was revised up to 3.25m. It ended up doing 4.4m that FY.

Z..

The games (at least the fighting ones) feel very cheap compared to the current market leaders yet Capcom wants these games to support service models.

I like me some Netherealm too, but they feel much cheaper than any SF game ever has. The SFV engine is nearly perfect and a thing of beauty, it's the wrapping that's problematic. Netherealm have the opposite problem.

Neoxon

I like me some Netherealm too, but they feel much cheaper than any SF game ever has. The SFV engine is nearly perfect and a thing of beauty, it's the wrapping that's problematic. Netherealm have the opposite problem.
To be fair, I wouldn't call SFV's core gameplay near-perfect, either. For starters, the core gameplay is currently lacking in defensive options, & there should definitely be some more variation in the combo system. There's more I can mention, but I'm on my phone at the moment.

That's not to say that SFV is the sin against all fighting games that some of the FGC & /r/Kappa claim it is, it just has a bunch of things that can be improved upon in Season 3 onwards.

Sesha

Except they aren't similar gaps, DR has had many more releases overall and even has an entire studio primairily dedicated to the franchise. They're really not at all comparable.

It is. Two years for DR, two so far for DMC. Number of releases and the presence of a studio isn't pertinent to what I was talking about.

Capcom highlighted Basara as one of the three properties they'll be focusing on for their new licensing mobile initiative, along with Monster Hunter and Mega Man. It's clear the property is continuing but I think we can already start questioning it's future on consoles now.

By that reasoning MH would be on the console chopping block as well.

It's final target was revised up to 3.25m. It ended up doing 4.4m that FY.

Ah, I missed that revision. Thanks for the correction.

JayEH

To quote Jawmuncher...

As such, I don't think anyone should really be concerned about Street Fighter's future.

Capcom said that they wouldn't force people to pay for a Super update that would split the player-base. If the balance changes & new modes are a free update while the physical re-release just includes the current DLC characters, they'd stay true to their word.

I just mean they're in a bad place still with burning a lot of people. they have a big hill to climb.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Monster Hunter World is depressing when you consider.
RELogo.png

Dino_Crisis_Logo.png

SFALogo.png

OkamiLogo.png

OniLogo.png

DMCLogo.png

ChaosLogo.png

BofFDQLogo.png

VJ_Logo.png

HauntingLogo.png

RivalLogo.png

What's in their portfolio

corin7

Neo Member

Yeah I feel the same. I just jumped back in after not touching it since launch and it is actually a really great game now.

Neoxon

I just mean they're in a bad place still with burning a lot of people. they have a big hill to climb.
As long as they continue to improve SFV & make sure that SFVI has a decent amount of content on Day 1 (come 2022 or later), the franchise will be fine. Not sure about a larger base roster, though. At least in SFV's case, everyone was made from scratch. That said, SFV's animations are great enough (Cammy's air grab aside) to where not many would complain if said animations were re-used in SFVI.

Fiendcode

It is. Two years for DR, two so far for DMC. Number of releases and the presence of a studio isn't pertinent to what I was talking about.
No, it's only been one year without a release for DR in nearly a decade. Not comparable to DMC in the least.

By that reasoning MH would be on the console chopping block as well.
Monster Hunter has a huge console game announced and has had continued releases every year? What?

TI82

Banned
Don't think deep down is coming out. I think a lot of the tech and ideas were rolled into monster Hunter world and we may instead get a dragons dogma 2 sometime in the future if the PS4 and xb1 releases sell well.

They should look at how Bamco is doing things. Have a few AAA big budget title release along with some lower budget titles. They have the IP's to do it but aren't capitalizing on it. DMC5 doesn't need a massive budget. They should also do more downloadable only games with some series like Strider.

Here is how I would structure released if I were in charge.

Big Budget Series
Resident Evil Mainline Series
Dragons Dogma
Onimusha
Dino Crisis
Okami
Monster Hunter

Mid Budget Series
Street Fighter
Darkstalkers
Dead Rising
Devil May Cry
Lost Planet
Resident Evil Rev Series
Breath of Fire
Mega Man Legends
Ashuras Wrath

Low Budget Digital Only
Final Fight - Use CPS3
Viewtiful Joe
God Hand
Killer 7
Strider
Captain Commando
Forgotten Worlds
Mega Man/X Mainline Series 8/16 bit games
Ace Attorney

Sprinkle some new IP's in there.

I dont even think REmake 2 needs a big budget. I'd be more than happy if it used the same tech as REmake/0 Remaster. Just add some new enemies, bosses and locations and Im good to go. They should also give up on these garbage Resident Evil spinoff games like Umbrella Corps and use that budget for a new IP or a Clock Tower/Haunting Ground game in VR or something.

Trup1aya

I feel like capcom has been going out of their way to sabotage their own franchises. Deliberately shifting the focus of their games away from what fans expect towards BS the turns fans off and fails to attract new ones.

I think that they are just the latest to realize that you have to understand what you've done right before you can understand how to successfully broaden a franchises appeal. Beyond that you can't just bank on fans buying the name of your product while you alter the core experience to something else.

As to deep down - It never looked like a good game. Visuals were nice, but it would live and die by its combat loop - which always looked boring IMO.

aadiboy

They have a couple years left of remasters before they run out. By that time, the next generation consoles will be out and they can remaster all their games over again for the new consoles.

HotHamBoy

We're basically just seeing the end result of years of terrible executives making bad decisions all while treating the talent like garbage to the point where most left, leaving a wake of amazing properties and not enough good people to make anything out of them, if they even get a chance to because of said executive decisions.

The biggest disaster being a Japanese company known for excellent gameplay in a diverse array of genres throwing all of their properties over to mediocre western developers in order to try and transform series like Devil May Cry and Lost Planet into fucking Rockstar sales.

Top that off with their weird sales over-estimates constantly making them look foolish and Street Fighter 5 being rushed out too early (and people who probably don't even care about the series to begin with making it out to be the worst video game of all time) and we are in the weird state we are now. A company with incredible properties beaten down by bad corporate decisions, bleeding talent, and doing every possible thing to make people think of them less and less positively.

Nailed it

I have little faith in MvC:I

TI82

Banned
They have a couple years left of remasters before they run out. By that time, the next generation consoles will be out and they can remaster all their games over again for the new consoles.

You know we'd all go crazy over a MegaMan legends remaster

Jawmuncher

Do they really though? Xbox is supposed to have BC from here on out. It's heavily implied that's whatever is next for PS will have BC.

They've practically port all their big titles already that are easy (last gen RE, DmC, DMC 4, Dragons Dogma). They're basically at titles not worth porting since they won't carry big interest unless a new game surrounds them (lost planet ports) or stuff that'll need more than just simple porting (a lot of their ps2 stuff).

At this point I'd say the only big title that's missing from being ported is the DMC HD collection. Stuff like RE4 for example are on their last legs port wise unless they offer new experiences (HD textures or portability on switch).

They got some life out of ports. But they won't be able to survive off of it like they did when buying time until this year.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They should look at how Bamco is doing things. Have a few AAA big budget title release along with some lower budget titles. They have the IP's to do it but aren't capitalizing on it. DMC5 doesn't need a massive budget. They should also do more downloadable only games with some series like Strider.

Here is how I would structure released if I were in charge.

Big Budget Series
Resident Evil Mainline Series
Dragons Dogma
Onimusha
Dino Crisis
Okami
Monster Hunter

Mid Budget Series
Street Fighter
Darkstalkers
Dead Rising
Devil May Cry
Lost Planet
Resident Evil Rev Series
Breath of Fire
Mega Man Legends
Ashuras Wrath

Low Budget Digital Only
Final Fight - Use CPS3
Viewtiful Joe
God Hand
Killer 7
Strider
Captain Commando
Forgotten Worlds
Mega Man/X Mainline Series 8/16 bit games
Ace Attorney

Sprinkle some new IP's in there.

I dont even think REmake 2 needs a big budget. I'd be more than happy if it used the same tech as REmake/0 Remaster. Just add some new enemies, bosses and locations and Im good to go. They should also give up on these garbage Resident Evil spinoff games like Umbrella Corps and use that budget for a new IP or a Clock Tower/Haunting Ground game in VR or something.
I agree with exception of Okami, why does that need a big budget?
Swap that with Lost Planet and then LP will have the budget it needed in the first place
And breath of fire. Make that a big budget title too.

Neonep

Anything not named Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, & Mega Man doesn't deserve a AAA budget at the moment.

120v

capcom had a rough run earlier this decade. it's going to take awhile to return to any semblance of "former glory"

look at konami, could be way worse

Jawmuncher

Anything not named Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, & Mega Man doesn't deserve a AAA budget at the moment.

tumblr_ohsvqc475A1uv5983o1_400.gif

More than just those deserve big budgets even now. Also a AAA mega man game sounds like some monkey paw Maverick Hunter level shit.

Neoxon

By "western focus" you mean the game not being on a portable console right?
That & the game deviating a bit from the previous entries. MHW is still distinctly Monster Hunter in gameplay, but a number of changes being made to MHW seem to have been done to appease the western audience.

I agree with exception of Okami, why does that need a big budget?
Swap that with Lost Planet and then LP will have the budget it needed in the first place
And breath of fire. Make that a big budget title too.

On one hand Okami is a massive game and can use the advertising budget. On the other hand you can hide some graphic issues with some great art and aesthetics. I get what you're saying though. Lost Planet 1 was very impressive and should can use the bigger budget with both a single player mode like LP1 alongside a LP2 coop mode thats seperate from the main game.

Fiendcode

Maybe Cacom should bite the bullet and try mending fences with Platinum? Hire them out for a game or two?

That & the game deviating a bit from the previous entries. MHW is still distinctly Monster Hunter in gameplay, but a number of changes being made to MHW seem to have been done to appease the western audience.
I think global focus is probably a better term to use with MHW. Let's see if that leads to global growth for the property.

Neoxon

Maybe Capcom should bite the bullet and try mending fences with Platinum? Hire them out for a game or two?
I think some of the guys at PlatinumGames expressed interest in working with Capcom again, but I could be mistaken. Either way, it would be nice.

I think global focus is probably a better term to use with MHW. Let's see if that leads to global growth for the property.
You're probably right. And while I'm sure MHW will sell well, I'm more curious to see how Japan embraces the game.

Top Bottom