• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demo disc for old consoles

Krathoon

I have been looking at the old demo discs for PlayStation Underground.

Man, I missed out. What was neat about them is that they had developer interviews and behind the scenes stuff.

It makes you realize at the time that a lot of the developers back then were college kids or teenagers.

David Jaffe was absurdly young when he did Twisted Metal 2.

Share your demo disc experiences.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just swinging by to say I’m a big fan of Game Sack. Thanks for posting, OP!

Krathoon

They also crammed a lot of demos on the discs. That amazed me. They would also include an import game.

Demos were more of a thing back then.

Last edited:
iu
i played the codename tenka underground demo

then bought the preowned disc at blockbuster

I loooove demo discs. I still have all of mine from the 90s and whatnot. Probably well over a hundred or more between all systems, mostly PSX and PC. Some for Saturn etc too.

Come to think of it, a demo is how I first played Daggerfall. I loved that demo to death. I'll never forget the full game install took up most of my 1 gig HDD. The install was like 650 megs. After OS and other stuff, basically couldn't install much else. Great game.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Internet in general and especially platforms like YouTube really robbed the world of the sense of discovery. I'm sorry for people that are born after internet was already a thing... you missed out on what meant waking up everyday and seek out a new adventure! Now there's really nothing to discover anymore because everyone else already did it for you. Fuck the world we live in today, seriously :__

Last edited:
Internet in general and especially platforms like YouTube really robbed the world of the sense of discovery. I'm sorry for people that are born after internet was already a thing... you missed out on what meant waking up everyday and seek out a new adventure! Now there's really nothing to discover anymore because everyone else already did it for you. Fuck the world we live in today, seriously :__
It has its benefits but I totally understand what you mean. I'm grateful for growing up before the internet was in cultural use and being there as it was adopted, but yeah the other side of that trip is certainly... Something.

Krathoon

Not to derail the thread, but they still have not made a fully working emulator for the CDi.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
In that era demo discs were incredible. Gameplay, trailers, extras... all with a magazine you got to read through. The 90s were a simpler time.

I think demos still have a place in the market. I've seen people say it's too much work, but I guarantee it did Capcom favours with the REmakes of 2/3/4 and they will continue to put out demos. Actually as a company they're pretty good across a few of their franchises, with DD2 getting that character creator demo.

In that era demo discs were incredible. Gameplay, trailers, extras... all with a magazine you got to read through. The 90s were a simpler time.

I think demos still have a place in the market. I've seen people say it's too much work, but I guarantee it did Capcom favours with the REmakes of 2/3/4 and they will continue to put out demos. Actually as a company they're pretty good across a few of their franchises, with DD2 getting that character creator demo.
Demos definitely still serve a purpose, at least for me. There have been many games I was compelled after trying the demo in modern times which I'm on the fence about. I wish there were even more demos being that it's easier than ever to distribute them to the public. Switch seems to often have demos.

Beechos

I remembering playing the hell out of the original demo disc that came with the og Playstation. I vaguely remember only having ridge racer and ace combat and using it for jumping flash and toshiden.

FrankWza

There was a time that they even put maps for Socom on the disc that came with Official Playstation Magazine to install on the PS2 HDD

Quasicat

Raw 90's energy: the Pizza Hut demo disc for Playstation 1:

This is how I discovered Metal Gear Solid. There were a couple of typos in the translation that was fixed in the retail release, but I had never plays such an amazing piece of storytelling at that time…based on the demo.

I had a couple of friends over from out of state when I got the disc and we fired it up that night. The next day, the three of us went to Toys R Us and each picked up a copy from the demo.

drganon

The demo discs I mainly remember were the ones that came with magazines like opm, store kiosks and ones that came with the system itself. I remember being bummed out as a kid that the ps2 didn't come with a demo disc like my ps1 did.

Bond007

God i loved demo discs as a kid.
Sometimes id play certain demos about as much as a full damn game. MSGS2 and Tomb Raider games would have me by the balls.

PS1 Jampack Vol 7 was my shit back in the day. I played the hell out of Einhander and Tomba (which felt like the longest demo ever, at the time).

Mattyp

Gold Member
Have about 100 of these from the offical magazine and the offical demo discs PlayStation would mail out to you for the PSX was shattered when that stopped.

When you didn't have internet and received one of those in the mail randomly was mind blowing

Top Bottom