• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls (4K/30, Dynamic 4K/60, Photo mode, PS3 filter) - can now store characters in the Nexus

RedVIper

Banned
4ej417E.jpg

Wtf

So where did Digital Foundry got the 1440p number from? 🤔

Did he really say that? Did he say they did pixel counting and came up with that number? Because if Alex did say that then it proves that they can't really count PS5's pixel output just like the UE5 demo. Whatever technique Sony's using for upscaling must be special.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
You can get a 4k Vizio P Series Quantum X for cheap now, that 4ktv line up will blow any 1080p tv picture quality out the water.

There really is no advantage to owning a 1080p tv set anymore.

Somehow you missed that last bit, never noticing when this gen's early "DYNAMIC 4k" drops to lower Ps, that is a marked advantage. It will NOT drop sub 1080p which is when I will START noticing it it.

Oh I know about set variation, I have an OLED and it cost me a pretty penny. But even good 4K TVs are really cheap now compared to what they used to cost a few years ago. If it's not for you, then it's not for you, each to their own, but to me 4K is now the golden standard and the leap in quality is enormous. It's going to be a long time before anything more becomes both mainstream and affordable, despite what some manufacturers are trying to push.

You replied and yet you didn't even read all of my post, you missed the NEW AVR part too, CHEAP ASS 4K AVRs still can be a bit on the shitty side.

Enjoy your "LEAP IN QUALITY", I'll enjoy the quality I have already, I mean maybe I've seen the wrong content in 4k, but it's all rather MEH, it's certainly NOT as glaring as 480P(or below) to 1080p like CRTS to HDTVs. Cable still doesn't transmit EVERYTHING in 1080p these days, so that's where your "CHEAP ASS 4K TV" with it's shitty 1080p scaling comes to shit all over your screen. Also CHEAP ASS 4K TVS tend to have really awful 120hz panels that do even worse interpolation of content making shit have a heavy "soap opera effect". There are a TON of issues with this "CHEAP ASS 4K" tv set idea, but hey not everyone notices these aspects, so to each their own.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Did he really say that? Did he say they do pixel counting and came up with that number? Because if Alex did say that then it proves that they can't really count PS5's pixel output just like the UE5 demo. Whatever technique Sony's using for upscaling must be special.

He said that in some parts it looked like 1440p -and it's pretty reasonable to think it's true-, but Sony fanboys are trying to frame it as if he said that the entire game is 1440p so they can fake rage at DF some more.

As what normally happens in this cases, the truth doesn't matter, only the war.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
He said that in some parts it looked like 1440p -and it's pretty reasonable to think it's true-, but Sony fanboys are trying to frame it as if he said that the entire game is 1440p so they can fake rage at DF some more.

As what normally happens in this cases, the truth doesn't matter, only the war.

Just watched the trailer on compressed YouTube on my CX, and it’s the best looking game I’ve ever seen.

I really don’t think most will care about resolution options.

MastaKiiLA

I imagine they're a bit like Insomniac pre-acquisition, where they're super friendly with Sony but not strictly limited to that platform. They've only ever done MGS and Titanfall remasters outside of PS stuff.

That'll probably change after this thing does super well. It's probably gonna be the best first-party launch title Playstation has ever had.
Spider-man, bruh. But I do agree with the rest of your post.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You replied and yet you didn't even read all of my post, you missed the NEW AVR part too, CHEAP ASS 4K AVRs still can be a bit on the shitty side.

Enjoy your "LEAP IN QUALITY", I'll enjoy the quality I have already, I mean maybe I've seen the wrong content in 4k, but it's all rather MEH, it's certainly NOT as glaring as 480P(or below) to 1080p like CRTS to HDTVs.

I didn't miss it, no-one needs an AVR to feel the benefit of 4K video, at all. It's just a great bonus if you can afford one.

And no, the quality leap naturally won't be as great due to diminishing returns, that's like saying the PS4 > 5 jump isn't as impressive as the 1 > 2 jump. Of course it isn't, but those transitions happened many years ago, they're old news. Same with black and white > colour. If you're not impressed by 4K then who knows, you could be watching upscaled or dull content, it could be a bad set, you could have been too far from the TV, who knows. You might just not like it.

Spaceman292

Banned
Triggered much? I'm HERE because I enjoy looking at next gen game graphics even if I don't want to play them. I grew up on Battletoads and Ghosts and Goblins so get out of here with your edgelord "too tough for you" bullshit. I'm a middle aged gamer who likes to enjoy my time spent these days, I don't want to spend my time chucking my controller in frustration. That said I would like to give it a try at some point as my sole exposure to FROM games at this point is Bloodborne and I didn't care for it.

Calm down child.
Big boomer energy coming from this post. Same old 'I grew up with' comment.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Do we know this for sure? And were they in the PS3 game?

Not that I’m anything but excited for this game, but this deserves to be slammed hard, if so

The guy hasn't responded to me but I'm pretty sure none of the fully locked content was actually in DeS PS3.

Spider-man, bruh. But I do agree with the rest of your post.

Yeah, hence the probably. For all the people crying over "muh DLC, muh PS3 port" they're still both probably going to be amazing launch games.

Geki-D

Banned
Fractured Mode is going to bring back a lot of people who have done the original to death. The dev says it almost makes it a whole new game.
I was talking about this in another thread, but assuming it's fully mirrored, this would also mean that in fractured mode your main hand is now the left one. Would be interesting if it actually meant you have to switch attack & parry/block buttons. Though that might be something the devs deem too awkward.

Sadly no 6th archstone :(, i'm still hyped!
Honestly, looking at what was planned, I'd say we're not missing much because it looks like it was pretty lame and I'm not surprised the devs ultimately deemed it cuttable:

That said, it would be cool if Blue Point gave us some DLC later down the line with original content for that sixth Archstone. Blue Point really could do with showing what they can actually think up without just remaking stuff. Would be good to see if they could be trusted to make a full on sequel without any input from FROM.

Jon Neu

Banned
Just watched the trailer on compressed YouTube on my CX, and it’s the best looking game I’ve ever seen.

I don't think that graphic wise it looks that good for a true next gen title. You take God Of War for example and it isn't that far behind.

Of all the gameplay we have seen, Spiderman Miles Morales looks the best so far. Much more detailed and with a far, far bigger scope.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don't think that graphic wise it looks that good for a true next gen title. You take God Of War for example and it isn't that far behind.

Of all the gameplay we have seen, Spiderman Miles Morales looks the best so far. Much more detailed and with a far, far bigger scope.

No. I’m sorry, but it looks much better than God Of War. Much. The LOD is on another level. On a 65 inch CX I’ve seen nothing close, not even MM.

Blond

Banned
So where did Digital Foundry got the 1440p number from? 🤔

They were pixel counting the 60 FPS gameplay video which is even stated to be “Dynamic performance mode” retarded shit like this is why they’d rather deal with Reset Era than us. Let that sink in!

jaysius

Banned
I didn't miss it, no-one needs an AVR to feel the benefit of 4K video, at all. It's just a great bonus if you can afford one.

And no, the quality leap naturally won't be as great due to diminishing returns, that's like saying the PS4 > 5 jump isn't as impressive as the 1 > 2 jump. Of course it isn't, but those transitions happened many years ago, they're old news. Same with black and white > colour. If you're not impressed by 4K then who knows, you could be watching upscaled or dull content, it could be a bad set, you could have been too far from the TV, who knows. You might just not like it.

What you're missing that again I didn't think had to be spelled out anybody, is I have an 1080p AVR, I'm not going to upgrade a TV and have my speakers just sit around doing nothing, to utilize 4K content AND the AVR, I will need to upgrade BOTH, otherwise there is NO POINT in it.

Right now HDMI 2.1 doesn't seem like a big enough leap to spend major money on, these HDMI's are going rather quickly these days, I'd rather wait til the next big real HDMI step to invest in an AVR.
A 1080P AVR will NOT transmit 4K SIGNAL to the SCREEN from a CONSOLE(some can, not mine and there are drawbacks)(to make it really really clear).

This has been something... enjoy your 4K tv.

Last edited:

AV

What you're missing that again I didn't think had to be spelled out anybody, is I have an 1080p AVR, I'm not going to upgrade a TV and have my speakers just sit around doing nothing, to utilize 4K content AND the AVR, I will need to upgrade BOTH, otherwise there is NO POINT in it.

I'm still not missing anything, you're not the centre of this argument. You said "the real winners of early next gen are people that are holding onto their 1080p tvs" due to their amazing performance. Nothing to do with speakers or AVRs whatsoever. I pointed out that there's actually no performance boost for 1080p sets over 4k for Demon's Souls, so your argument didn't really make much sense in this thread. You only then brought up AVRs and how they directly impact you personally because you have nice speakers, so you can't upgrade to a 4K set cheap, even though you've already decided you don't like 4K anyway.

The majority of people "holding onto their 1080p tvs" do not own receivers, they're an enthusiast level item. This is very much a you issue, and that's fine, since you'll apparently never need to upgrade your TV ever again.

Dynamic 4K = up to 4K = prioritize frame-rate mode (resolution is variable)
Dynamic 60fps = up to 60fps = prioritize resolution mode (frame-rate is variable)

I'm sure 4K30 mode is dynamic resolution too, but it will stay at 4K most of the time.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Right now HDMI 2.1 doesn't seem like a big enough leap to spend major money on, these HDMI's are going rather quickly these days, I'd rather wait til the next big real HDMI step to invest in an AVR.
A 1080P AVR will NOT transmit 4K SIGNAL to the SCREEN from a CONSOLE(some can, not mine and there are drawbacks)(to make it really really clear).

HDMI 1.3/4 to HDMI 2.1 is a major leap (1080p to 2160P@120 Hz with HDR, VRR, low latency mode, and eARC is a massive massive leap).

jaysius

Banned
HDMI 1.3/4 to HDMI 2.1 is a major leap (1080p to 2160P@120 Hz with HDR, VRR, low latency mode, and eARC is a massive massive leap).

Eh, there'll be a bigger one, they're went from HDMI 2.0 to 2.1 very quickly compared to how long we were stuck at HDMI 1.4.

eARC is huge, that's for sure.

If you enjoy movie content, you'll understand that 120hz is mostly trash and that you're really aiming for 24hz.

There'll be another step that makes it even more worthwhile in the future.

An AVR is a big investment, it's a different ball game than console gaming.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
we are so close. im not going to watch these videos. reveal trailer and first gameplay was enough for me. i want this to be a giant surprise.

also im no disappointed at the 6th archstone in the least. i don't get why people thought you could just have another company reach From levels of design. would have been really weird to have 1/6th of the game by someone else.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Bluepoint needs to be able to make their own game, those guys are too impressive to only get stuck with remasters.

turtlepowa

Banned
Idk how nobody has picked up Bluepoint yet. They're an impressive team.
I guess because they are "just" doing remakes/remasters and don't bring own/valuable ips. With both consoles having BC (MS even up to Xbox) there won't be too much work and Sony already remastered/remade tons of PS3 games this gen. Not much left to milk.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Honestly, looking at what was planned, I'd say we're not missing much because it looks like it was pretty lame and I'm not surprised the devs ultimately deemed it cuttable:

Yeah, a new area would have required Bluepoint coming up with something from scratch. Not just a new setting and map but new enemies and bosses too. That's a huge amount of effort when you're really aiming at a remake. It's a bit disappointing, but I get it.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The game looks pretty good overall to me. But I'm surprised the people on this forum aren't saying that 4K dynamic isn't true next gen, I thought that was the benchmark of this generation?
Maybe not? All hell breaks looks if PS5 games can't quite hit 4K at 60 locked, and the Series X games can. (even though there wouldn't be a huge difference in how good the games look)

The game looks pretty good overall to me. But I'm surprised the people on this forum aren't saying that 4K dynamic isn't true next gen, I thought that was the benchmark of this generation?
Maybe not? All hell breaks looks if PS5 games can't quite hit 4K at 60 locked, and the Series X games can. (even though there wouldn't be a huge difference in how good the games look)

Native 4K 60 isn't going to be the standard for next-gen games for either console

Last edited:

FrankWza

So youtube is saying the video is 4k for shits and giggles?

rV9gpdA.png
I don’t know. My stats were2560x1440@60 on the YouTube app watching the PlayStation channel feed from eu because the us one requires sign in to view. It’s listed @4k in the description but I got those stats.

I was watching it on Apple TV YouTube app. It maxes at 1440p@60.
Using WebOS YouTube app I’m getting
3840x2160@60. Same tv.
That’s the difference.

Top Bottom