• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Bramble

People usually place summon signs at the start of the level or at the boss gate. If you aren't seeing any it might be because there aren't any, or you are out of the level range for the area.

Wait, I thought level range only affected the level other players have that can join you. Is there a list somewhere with the recommended level range for each area, with which you are able to summon help?

Ar¢tos

Wait, I thought level range only affected the level other players have that can join you. Is there a list somewhere with the recommended level range for each area, with which you are able to summon help?
I meant you might be out of the level range players usually have when they do that area.

About summoning help: are there specific locations where this can be done? When I turned to human form, I could summon help right in front of the Tower Knight mist wall and also in front of the Armored Spider mist wall. But when I turned to human form yesterday in front of the False Idol boss fight, I didn't see any summon signs. Is there a different location in the Prison of Hope where they appear?

Beginning and end of areas are usually where people place their signs. The False Idol fight doesn't have an archstone after it that allows you to go right back outside the arena like the other boss fights do, so people have to go all the way through Latria just to get outside the fog door and drop their sign. This is probably why you won't find many signs for that boss.

I almost shed a tear at the Storm King boss fight. Good lord the audio visual mastery on this fight is absolutely insane. The way the big giant manta ray blocks out rain and when we use the storm ruler on it, lord. Just I can't express this in words. The orchestral re-score for the remake is on another level. This might very well be the first souls game where I not only would complete it, but also give the NG+ a go :lollipop_downcast_sweat::lollipop_content::lollipop_thescream:

R6Rider

Gold Member

Generally both players have to be within 10 levels of each other. Me and my friend summon various characters for co-op a lot and they were 57/67 when doing it last night. You can also abuse this and "chain trade" items down to early level characters if you want.

Just beat the Penetrator and this could've been a tough battle if not for
Biorr
helping me out during the fight. S
ave this man from the prison before innar ward
before you go for the fight people!

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Generally both players have to be within 10 levels of each other. Me and my friend summon various characters for co-op a lot and they were 57/67 when doing it last night. You can also abuse this and "chain trade" items down to early level characters if you want.
But, I think, if you use the password for online play the soul level is irrelevant.

dyergram

I think I just have the last boss to finish the game kinda crept up on me. I don’t think I can free Lord rydall getting pwwt seems like a pain in the dick.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure that the leech dude in 5-1 had some type of gimmicks during the boss fight but i just bruteforced him with my fire sword+1...

How the fuck are you guys already at new game + or more?
I played a couple fo hours of this bitch every day since last friday and i'm still barely over half game...

Con-Z-epT

I think I just have the last boss to finish the game kinda crept up on me. I don’t think I can free Lord rydall getting pwwt seems like a pain in the dick.
Invasions help.

If you have someone to play online and he lets you kill him, pure white world tendency should be easy to abtain.

Toytown Assassin here on GAF helped me to get pure white character tendency after i messed up in offline play.

Phase

My ps3 finally came in so I booted up the original demon's souls only to find out the controller is fucked up... Now I have to wait a week longer to lull the old one back to slumber.

giphy.gif

Con-Z-epT

I'm pretty sure that the leech dude in 5-1 had some type of gimmicks during the boss fight but i just bruteforced him with my fire sword+1...

How the fuck are you guys already at new game + or more?
I played a couple fo hours of this bitch every day since last friday and i'm still barely over half game...
I had trouble the first time i fought him.
I fell down all the time after avoiding his attacks.
At some positions in the arena he can't hit you.

I started playing right at the release of the console and had more than a week of work and alot of time to spare.
My holiday was a coincidence though.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
finally been making good progress in NG+. took down Flamelurker, tho it took me a lot of attempts. Moonlight sword has good enough reach where you can kind of kite him. but double-dodging some of those fire AOEs is crucial.

i got around 70+ hours in at this point. already beat the game in one save, which took around 30 hours. i'm halfway through NG+ on a second save. probably get the plat at around 100hr

iorek21

My greatest problem with all recent remakes is that they are too loyal to the source material. Demon's Souls could benefit immensely from QoL improvements of the games that succeeded it:

> Falling attack
> Scrapping the grass healing system for Estus or a more streamlined version of grass like the blood vials
> Changing some area's enemy placement

Game feels a lot more archaic because of that

#Phonepunk#

Banned
by the way the Warding spell totally rules for giving you more defense and can help you even survive direct hits during Dragon God

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I had trouble the first time i fought him.
I fell down all the time after avoiding his attacks.
At some positions in the arena he can't hit you.

I started playing right at the release of the console and had more than a week of work and alot of time to spare.
My holiday was a coincidence though.
I forgot that you americans had the console a week before europe :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I should be getting the Plat fairly soon. Hoping to finish it before Cyberpunk releases. It's taking a little longer as I'm playing through my Mage character with co-op and will do so again for NG+. Only trophies left are getting the Northern Regalia, getting all spells, and choosing to kill the Maiden at the end.

Entroyp

I left this game for after I finished MM and Bugsnax. I wasn’t having a good time at the beginning. I tried multiple classes and I seemed to fail miserably with each one.

I kept going and experimented a lot until I found my sweet spot and pushed on with the game defeating the first and second bosses in Boletaria. At that point the game and its gameplay mechanics started to grow on me to the point that i’m fully invested and I think this a masterpiece of a game.

What an incredible way to start the generation and be introduced to the soulsborne games.

Can’t wait for elden ring.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I love that I can log out and log back in to eject an invader when I don't want to die. ;)

Nymphae

Banned
What is the generally accepted pathway through the level segments?

When I first played the game I think I tried to do them in order, finishing off Boletaria before moving to the second archstone, etc, but I understand this is not the intended pathway.

johntown

Banned
My greatest problem with all recent remakes is that they are too loyal to the source material. Demon's Souls could benefit immensely from QoL improvements of the games that succeeded it:

> Falling attack
> Scrapping the grass healing system for Estus or a more streamlined version of grass like the blood vials
> Changing some area's enemy placement

Game feels a lot more archaic because of that
> Falling attack - I have no issue doing this? I can fall and attack :messenger_winking:
> Scrapping the grass healing system for Estus or a more streamlined version of grass like the blood vials - How about no. The game does not need bonfires ever 10 feet like dark souls. The grass acts more like blood vials.
> Changing some area's enemy placement - they kind of added this. It called fractured mode

johntown

Banned
What is the generally accepted pathway through the level segments?

When I first played the game I think I tried to do them in order, finishing off Boletaria before moving to the second archstone, etc, but I understand this is not the intended pathway.
It all depends on your class. Mage's should be taking a very specific path and others I don't know because I only play as a mage.

This is the route I always take as a mage for specific reasons. I don't complete 1-2 after 1-1 but I kill the red dragon and then go to 3-1.

1-1
3-1
4-1
1-2
2-1
2-2
2-3
3-2
3-3
4-2
4-3
5-1
5-2
5-3
1-3
1-4

Last edited:

Antelope

I didn’t care for 3-1, but the scenery in 3-2 really is epic. I can definitely see how it inspired the Nightmare of Mensis in BB.

That boss fight tho....I tried it once last night and turned off the console. I don’t know what was more annoying, the camera going wild as the Boss went into crazy mode and started dashing everywhere, the surprise guest, or the fact I rolled off the edge half way through the fight.

Last edited:
It all depends on your class. Mage's should be taking a very specific path and others I don't know because I only play as a mage.

This is the route I always take as a mage for specific reasons. I don't complete 1-2 after 1-1 but I kill the red dragon and then go to 3-1.

1-1
3-1
4-1
1-2
2-1
2-2
2-3
4-2
4-3
5-1
5-2
5-3
1-3
1-4

If I'm going mage I do 1-1, all of 4, 1-2, 1-3, 3-1, then all of 2, finish off 3, then begrugingly start to work on 5.

5 is technically easier than a lot of that, but I actually loathe both the first two areas of 5.

Grinchy

Banned
That boss fight tho....I tried it once last night and turned off the console. I don’t know what was more annoying, the camera going wild as the Boss went into crazy mode and started dashing everywhere, the surprise guest, or the fact I rolled off the edge half way through the fight.

I have hit a wall with it. I'm doing a dexterity build with not a whole lot of health, not the strongest armor, a buckler, and a dagger. I can decimate these guys...if I can get a chance to hit them. That's not always possible, unfortunately.

Most of the time, the first one bugs out doing a walking animation in the sky, flying around endlessly, landing on a pillar and getting stuck, ect. And when the input queueing system queues up a dodge I had pressed a second ago, and the camera has snapped around, it decides to thrust me off the walkway in a direction I didn't press. It's only a frustrating fight because it's buggy as hell.

johntown

Banned
If I'm going mage I do 1-1, all of 4, 1-2, 1-3, 3-1, then all of 2, finish off 3, then begrugingly start to work on 5.

5 is technically easier than a lot of that, but I actually loathe both the first two areas of 5.
I kill the red dragon for souls in the beginning and also to grab the winged spear. I go to 3-1 next for fresh spice from mind flayers and the merchant and Soul Ray from the boss. I also grab moonlight shards to level up the winged spear as a offhand magical weapon.

Then 4-1 to grab the Crescent Falchion and farm the lizards to level it up a little. Once i have souls ray the 2-1 boss goes pretty quick and I can mow through the enemies with one bolt since the dragon is dead. I also like soul ray for the spider boss and by the time I go there I can plow through the enemies pretty easily. It also allows me to stock up on shards for weapon upgrades.

I then go through the rest of 2 mainly so I can get the fireball spell. I edited my other list as I forgot 3-2 and 3-3. Fireball is very helpful in 3-2 and against Maneaters and I can get materials to level my moon winged spear. Then in 3-3 I get Homing Soul arrow and should be up to 30 Magic and 30 INT by that time too. Then 4-2 fireball helps a lot in this area and the higher soul level helps my low health, no armor mage. Plus by then I can get the rest of the materials for a +5 Crescent Falchion.

Like you I hate world 5 and save it for last as there is not much beneficial to mages in these areas.

I understand going all the way through world 4 but I find it difficult as a mage when you are a lower level.

Last edited:

Antelope

I kill the red dragon for souls in the beginning and also to grab the winged spear. I go to 3-1 next for fresh spice from mind flayers and the merchant and Soul Ray from the boss. I also grab moonlight shards to level up the winged spear as a offhand magical weapon.

Then 4-1 to grab the Crescent Falchion and farm the lizards to level it up a little. Once i have souls ray the 2-1 boss goes pretty quick and I can mow through the enemies with one bolt since the dragon is dead. I also like soul ray for the spider boss and by the time I go there I can plow through the enemies pretty easily. It also allows me to stock up on shards for weapon upgrades.

I then go through the rest of 2 mainly so I can get the fireball spell. I edited my other list as I forgot 3-2 and 3-3. Fireball is very helpful in 3-2 and against Maneaters and I can get materials to level my moon winged spear. Then in 3-3 I get Homing Soul arrow and should be up to 30 Magic and 30 INT by that time too. Then 4-2 fireball helps a lot in this area and the higher soul level helps my low health, no armor mage. Plus by then I can get the rest of the materials for a +5 Crescent Falchion.

Like you I hate world 5 and save it for last as there is not much beneficial to mages in these areas.

I understand going all the way through world 4 but I find it difficult as a mage when you are a lower level.

I decided to run a faith build and spent a lot of the early game dying over and over again in world 5. Everything after that has seemed so much more relaxing. The soothing blue glow of the sword of moonlight makes everything better....

“You were always at my side...”

MiguelItUp

Beat it last night and have already hopped into NG+. Don't know how much I'm gonna get through NG+, but we'll see! I at least wanna try and do things that I didn't get to do on the initial playthrough. Already polishing off the Red Dragon.

Ogbert

Just finished it now.

Overall, enjoyed it, but I’ve had my fill. Looks beautiful but the game does show it’s age. Feels a touch overrated. Not close to Dark Souls, for me.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Just finished it now.

Overall, enjoyed it, but I’ve had my fill. Looks beautiful but the game does show it’s age. Feels a touch overrated. Not close to Dark Souls, for me.
A remake like this, but of say Dark souls and Dark Souls 2 would be AMAZING. We can hope....but not likely. Heck seeing what Bluepoint did with this complete remake, I say...let them make Demon's Souls 2 and so on! Sony owns that IP so they can do whatever they want with it. Maybe if this remake is very successful?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
let them make Demon's Souls 2 and so on!
No! Bluepoints are graphics engineers, not game designers, I have zero trust in them to make sequel to Demons Souls or any other Souls series.

First I need them to make their own game to see how good they are designing levels, boss fights and combat system.

Last edited:
Man, I just beat it, and I hate that I did. Gives me vibes of Super Metroid in that I wish it wasn't over. I wanted more time, more areas, more stress. More souls.

This is one of the greatest launch titles of all time. I'm not saying it's Mario 64(what is), but God damn, it's fucking great. The feel, the animation, the weight of movement, the sound quality, the absolute clarity in visuals...

This first experience will be cherished. What a game to open a system with. A real ass fucking videogame. Not some "experience", or "barely a game" tech demo. A real damn game that doesn't take the player for granted and assumes we are completely moronic(even if we are, like me). Thank you, Bluepoint 💙

Last edited:
You assembled Voltron and mobbed him.

I loved the designer/director's approach to this particular boss. It was like he felt we the player have already experienced enough dread after beating adjudicator and old hero boss. So here you go this is storm king, you get to have fun and not feel to tensed. Rather just go and enjoy the beautiful soundtrack, jaw dropping graphics and have fun while taking the storm king down.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Goosebumps man just goosebumps. I managed to clip the whole boss fight. I just want to re-experience this all over again!

That was a cool clip and fight. I can never find anyone to summon to that fight. I also found though that after you beat the Storm King, that's a great and easy area to farm. During first playthrough if you wear silver bracers and ring of avarice you get about 26,000 souls for going in and killing the smaller rays. It's pretty quick too depending on how you do it. Soul ray works awesome. Then reload and repeat. Definitely a lot more souls than the reaper run on 4-2.

2AdEPT

I loved the designer/director's approach to this particular boss. It was like he felt we the player have already experienced enough dread after beating adjudicator and old hero boss. So here you go this is storm king, you get to have fun and not feel to tensed. Rather just go and enjoy the beautiful soundtrack, jaw dropping graphics and have fun while taking the storm king down.
I mean its not quite as relaxing if you dont have two blues showing you what to do though! :messenger_tears_of_joy: At least they waited until you got your storm ruler to break out theirs. I hired help a lot in 2009 so not trying to be negative, but Im pretty sure there were no signs for me when I did this blind and it was not a relaxing experience for sure.. Im with you ..awesome art direction and sound effects....and even better on PS5 than the old version. I like most of the sound tracks better with the old verison though.

Grinchy

Banned
The Old Hero fight was shockingly easy. Maybe it's just because I happened to have a Thief's Ring on by complete accident at the time?

I went in scared because of how brutal the level itself was, worried I'd have to do all of that again, but the guy is blind as a bat.

Troglodyte

Banned
Gonna start my NG++ run tonight. Gonna call it quits on my DBS build after this run through and then start a NG and go magic build this time.

nyr88nyg

Banned
Just beat the game for the first time and am at level 70. Just lost to an invader. What do you experienced guys think the best pvp end game weapons are? I like the moonlight sword but I’m reading it’s better for pve and meh for pvp.

The Old Hero fight was shockingly easy. Maybe it's just because I happened to have a Thief's Ring on by complete accident at the time?

I went in scared because of how brutal the level itself was, worried I'd have to do all of that again, but the guy is blind as a bat.

Yes Thief Ring makes it manageable, but I didn't have one, lost the fight half way through!

2AdEPT

Just beat the game for the first time and am at level 70. Just lost to an invader. What do you experienced guys think the best pvp end game weapons are? I like the moonlight sword but I’m reading it’s better for pve and meh for pvp.
The only reason the Moonlight sword is meh for pvp is its slow and has a huge recovery animation (which allows the opponent to reposition for a backstab or just go to town on you), same for Northern regalia only at least the moolight goes through noob turlters. THere arent many good PVP ers that use a shield anyway though so.....The PVPers that always gave me the worst issue were/are the katanas. They hit hard enough to knock damage down but if you get stun locked you are done as the bleed adds up. I guess advanced players use toggle escape (switching between right handed weapns quickly in mash style) to get outof stun lock...but alas I am not a PVPer and I get pwned most times I try regardless LOL.

IN addition to katanas the most popular weapons I recall and still see today are:

MIrdan Hammer - simply the best PVP weapon as it stuns with quick but long reach and quick 3 hit combo
Meat Clever - can do lots of damage but slower and you have to know how to use it and pick your openings
DBS (its hard to do this one but people try anyway cause itlooks cool) again know what you are doing or dont use it.
Blueblood - perhaps the most under-rated as it swings quicker than moonlight and regalia but gets all its power off several stats and still can be buffed. Downside is split magic and pysical damage
Albeit very few, but some feel that the penetrating sword has too long a reach to ignore - despite having pathetic damge.
Honorable mention is the Great Axe...again it looks cool but has poor recovery animations and doesnt do as much damage as the other big weapons above.

As you can tell these weapons are buffable, non buffable weapons just cant compete although some go for blessed and stack the health regen.

The one thing I do like about PVP is that it doesnt matter as much what you use, its how you use it that counts. That said, people will back off when they see a buffed mirdan hammer coming at them!

Last edited:
Top Bottom