• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Ogbert

The Old Hero fight was shockingly easy. Maybe it's just because I happened to have a Thief's Ring on by complete accident at the time?

I went in scared because of how brutal the level itself was, worried I'd have to do all of that again, but the guy is blind as a bat.

Almost all the boss fights are extremely easy. The standard mobs are invariably harder.

I think you can see how From evolved with Dark Souls. They maintained the same intricate level design but paid so much more attention to boss fights.

Ogbert

Just beat the game for the first time and am at level 70. Just lost to an invader. What do you experienced guys think the best pvp end game weapons are? I like the moonlight sword but I’m reading it’s better for pve and meh for pvp.

Bollock naked wielding the Dozer axe.

Roufianos

So I beat the Flamelurker on only my 2nd attempt.

Wonder if that means I've got gud? Already dreaming of going back to Bloodborne and Dark Souls III to see if I can hack them now.

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
So I beat the Flamelurker on only my 2nd attempt.

Wonder if that means I've got gud? Already dreaming of going back to Bloodborne and Dark Souls III to see if I can hack them now.
Nah I finished DeS a decade ago and I platinumed Sekiro: still getting my ass kicked in this remaster :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SkylineRKR

Almost all the boss fights are extremely easy. The standard mobs are invariably harder.

I think you can see how From evolved with Dark Souls. They maintained the same intricate level design but paid so much more attention to boss fights.

Bosses became good since Artorias of the Abyss, imo.

Before that, only a few I would consider good, such as the infamous Anor Londo bro's, Flame lurker or Allant. I always liked Fool's Idol though.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i got the Fool's trophy yesterday. you have to attack only the real one. it's easy to tell, all the fake ones have extra hit bars.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Old Hero fight was shockingly easy. Maybe it's just because I happened to have a Thief's Ring on by complete accident at the time?

I went in scared because of how brutal the level itself was, worried I'd have to do all of that again, but the guy is blind as a bat.
most boss fights are easy in this game. He is one of them but he will randomly go aggro and do this 3 combo jump attack which can kill you in one hit.

I think he knows where you are if you attack him during his scream. so you likely never did that.

ive died to him 3 times in 3 NG runs and its a silly death every time.

Nymphae

Banned

Perhaps for series veterans, what did you expect. I'm playing as a Knight and after doing some grind runs, I'm still getting fucked in the ass by the armour spider. Slow going but having fun.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

Extremely easy is just such an exaggeration.

Sure they are not as hard but for newcomers its far from easy.

R6Rider

Gold Member
While I agree most of the boss fights are easy, you also have to consider that you can have almost endless healing in this game. 5 or 6 stacks of different grasses, miracles, and so on.

Not to mention if you get Adjudicator's Shield +5 and a Regenerator's ring you can fully heal nearly 800 HP in about one minute. You can easily out heal poison damage too, so you just walk around the swamp acting like "You are Poisoned" messages are awards.

Overall it's the boss designs that makes them easier than most other Souls bosses. With so many easily out-ranged, cheeses, or abused. Take for example the Penetrator. Dude can't hit you if you use ranged and stay away. He has no ranged attack as far as I know and is super slow.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Extremely easy is just such an exaggeration.

Sure they are not as hard but for newcomers its far from easy.

Phalanx, Fool’s Idol, Dirty Collosuss, Old Monk, Old Hero and Adjudicator are all Zelda level difficulty.

That’s not epeen. I’m not very good at games, but those bosses are super simple.

Ogbert

What's your experience level with the series? This game utterly destroyed me when I first encountered it in 2009.

No, fair enough. Beaten Dark Souls about 10 times and DS 3 about 5. 100s of hours logged.

I shouldn’t underestimate that first time round the game gets you in different ways. I still think that most of those bosses would be fine in a Darksiders / Zelda game.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
That was a cool clip and fight. I can never find anyone to summon to that fight. I also found though that after you beat the Storm King, that's a great and easy area to farm. During first playthrough if you wear silver bracers and ring of avarice you get about 26,000 souls for going in and killing the smaller rays. It's pretty quick too depending on how you do it. Soul ray works awesome. Then reload and repeat. Definitely a lot more souls than the reaper run on 4-2.
This was something I figured out on my own, just farmed the hell out of the rays, haha. I'd run and hide behind the castle/home rubble to avoid their projectiles and just start shooting arrows. I'd generally clear in just a few minutes. Rinse and repeat.

kingwingin

What stat improves shield use? Can't seem to use many late game shields, assuming its strength but I don't see where it says that.

Do the ghosts in 4-2 infinitely respawn? Got ambushed by one from nowhere at the second reaper.

Arthimura

What stat improves shield use? Can't seem to use many late game shields, assuming its strength but I don't see where it says that.

Do the ghosts in 4-2 infinitely respawn? Got ambushed by one from nowhere at the second reaper.

It's mostly strength, you can press square in the menu with the desired shield selected, and it will show the minimum requirements to equip that shield.

Ghosts in 4-2 don't spawn infinitely as much as i know, i beat this world without rushing, just killing the ghosts as they appeared and killing the reaper when i found it. It's pretty easy to get ambushed if you don't kill the ghosts.

Last edited:

Antelope

The Maneater AI totally bugged out on me. One of those jerks ran off to the fog wall and begged for his Mama while I patiently baited and killed the other. Then I did the same to his brother.

I’d feel bad about it, but the few times I tried to do it legit I got steamrolled and knocked off the ledge. IMO the AI is where this game really shows its age. I noticed the same with Flamelurker, where he alternated between being King Kong on a bad day and shy chimp begging for a Banana.

I’m off the grind faintstones, wish me luck.

Last edited:

Oddspeak

lol few gamers are as insufferable as the "this notoriously hard game is super easy guyz" gamer

I'm not bragging I'm just saying this thing universally recognized as harder than most games of it's type is not hard

I'm breaking into a barely-relevant rant here, but one of the worst types of gamer that this series has cultivated is the type that always -- ALWAYS -- wants games to be harder, even if they're teeth-gnashing, controller-shatteringly hard for the average person already. I've seen self-fellating, masochistic lunatics express disappointment when a boss takes "only" 20 attempts or something. Insane.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Is the game easier or harder on NG+?

It's still fairly easy, but compared to NG it's much more challenging. Mostly because of how much damage enemies do to you. Flamelurker hits hard if you don't block even with over 200 Fire Resistance.

I'd say the bosses are nearly the same, you can use the same methods overall and only have to survive longer. It's the areas between bosses and regular mobs that really ramp up.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Phalanx, Fool’s Idol, Dirty Collosuss, Old Monk, Old Hero and Adjudicator are all Zelda level difficulty.

That’s not epeen. I’m not very good at games, but those bosses are super simple.
Sure they are simple in there design and are missing the complexity of the bosses from older entries.

But again.

To say most of them are extremely easy is a pure exaggeration!

Last edited:

Ogbert

there is always one in every thread. yes we are all so very impressed with you.

fwiw i beat Sekiro 4 times and it took me multiple attempts at Flamelurker/Maneater/etc.

Me?

I’m rubbish at games. I spend my entire time telling people that Dark Souls games are wonderful because they teach people who are rubbish, like me, how to play. And you can always grind throughout.

But do you genuinely think Dirty Colossus is hard? You circle him and hit him on the bum. The beaky dudes with the clubs are harder.

Of course, there are some really good fights too, but the lions share are fine. It’s the levels that are tough.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

It's mostly strength, you can press square in the menu with the desired shield selected, and it will show the minimum requirements to equip that shield.

Ghosts in 4-2 don't spawn infinitely as much as i know, i beat this world without rushing, just killing the ghosts as they appeared and killing the reaper when i found it. It's pretty easy to get ambushed if you don't kill the ghosts.

The ghosts respawn until you kill their respective reaper, but generally you can kill every ghost and get to the reaper before you would notice.

Ogbert

Sure they are simple in there design and are missing the complexity of the bosses from older entries.

But again.

To say most of them are extremely easy is a pure exaggeration!

Fair enough.

And I’m really not that annoying guy who acts like he’s good at games. I died to Old God after firing both ballistas.

Twice.

Let that sink in.

I just like discussing the Demon Souls’ bosses as you can see the foundation for the rest of the series.

Oddspeak

Difficulty is more relative than some give it credit for. What could be a breeze for one person might be hair-pullingly aggravating for someone else and vice-versa, for any number of reasons. Someone with good mechanical skills -- who has fast reactions and can perform a high number of actions for minute -- might still fall apart at a fight that has a specific gimmick or approach that requires some thinking. Or maybe they can handle a 1-on-1 fight perfectly fine, but have a tendency to choke or panic in a fight with adds. Maybe someone knows how to parry like a champ but has bad spacial awareness and rolls off cliffs all the time in 3-2 and 4-2.

Raven117

Gold Member

The level fights in Demon's Souls has not been surpassed in any of the other Souls games.

Hence why it is my favorite. The journey through the level feels so much more dangerous than in the others. Boss fights...meh.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
give me 1000 Dragon God fights before this damn Old Monk battle. for fuck's sake, this is the absolute worst shit to have to sit through. first off there is no actual level design to be had, it is one spiral stairway that is a linear one-person-wide hallway. secondly you have to sit through a mandatory cutscene BEFORE the difficult part. thirdly, the fucking red cthulu guys, holy fucking shit. now, in NG you can cheese your way past them with fire, granted it it real tough, because that's a small hallway, and you have pretty much no where to dodge or hide. but in NG+? holy shit. i wasted half an hour at lunchtime just trying to get up these stairs. didn't even land a single hit on the first of the red cthulu guys. the fact that you have to sit through the cutscene before you get insta killed by these octopus shitheads is the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Arthimura

give me 1000 Dragon God fights before this damn Old Monk battle. for fuck's sake, this is the absolute worst shit to have to sit through. first off there is no actual level design to be had, it is one spiral stairway that is a linear one-person-wide hallway. secondly you have to sit through a mandatory cutscene BEFORE the difficult part. thirdly, the fucking red cthulu guys, holy fucking shit. now, in NG you can cheese your way past them with fire, granted it it real tough, because that's a small hallway, and you have pretty much no where to dodge or hide. but in NG+? holy shit. i wasted half an hour at lunchtime just trying to get up these stairs. didn't even land a single hit on the first of the red cthulu guys. the fact that you have to sit through the cutscene before you get insta killed by these octopus shitheads is the icing on the cake.

git gud

Actually, just backstap them.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Play on offline mode and you don't get the cutscene until the top of the stairs if I remember correctly.

I just lame it and use a bow. If you edge out you can shoot them and they can't hit you. Sad stuff but effective :)

JTCx

Go offline if you dont want cutscene. Its there because its syncing you to potential invader.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So far I have used all my hardstone, dragon and greystones. Is it worth upgrading a dex type weapon to augment my arsenal? Say a spear or bleed weapon? I have stones for both sharp or clearstone for another weapon, but I'm like 29/16 for str/dex, not sure if that makes sense.

Sinthor

Gold Member
So far I have used all my hardstone, dragon and greystones. Is it worth upgrading a dex type weapon to augment my arsenal? Say a spear or bleed weapon? I have stones for both sharp or clearstone for another weapon, but I'm like 29/16 for str/dex, not sure if that makes sense.
I personally am going to make either the Scraping Spear or a Dragon Spear for the fire damage just so I have a spear type weapon. Maybe even a Crescent one so it recharges my magic but I really just want one as an optional I can use, but make sure it still does good damage even though my char isn't setup to really use a spear.

SkylineRKR

What's your experience level with the series? This game utterly destroyed me when I first encountered it in 2009.

Its by no means an easy game and people tend to forget they likely were helped by other players, or a strategy guide as there are a lot of vague and ambigious things here. Well known by now, but how the fuck you would know about world tendency or the blacksmith if you go in completely blind?

But the bosses have mostly been easy. I remember I one shot quite a few of them despite dying dozens of times in the levels themselves. Some, like maneaters, flamelurker and allant were a pain. Actually, I think those were the only ones.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hid around the corner and shot arrows np.

anyone know how many colorless demon’s souls to upgrade moonlight to +5? I’m at +4 and Ed won’t give me the last upgrade
You need one more and you can trade talisman of god or Gold mask with the Crow to get colorless demon’s souls.

There is another one in closed gate at 1-1 that will open if you have pure White would tendency.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
You seriously cannot take the elevator down after the old king boss in 1-4? WTF?

Edit: I guess it does not matter, the dragon is gone anyhow. I guess he goes poof when you kill the boss?

Last edited:

2AdEPT

Its strength, but Use hardstone and then cloudstone on shields to upgrade them if they dont take colourless demon souls that is. Others have mentioned that the tall ghosts do not respawn but there are 3 reapers to kill in order to clear all tall ghosts. There are completely independent (dont die with the reapers) asshole backstabbing smaller invisible ghosts after the 2nd reaper and just before you head out onthe ledge again; where if you get their crappy items they appear out of nowhere and backstab you. Theyare barely vsible. Im not sure why they arent mentioned as much as they are, possibly the most annoying enemies in the entire series. I dont even consder their grass items worth the bother anymore and completey ignore ther little area. I have died countless times even though I know whats coming.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You seriously cannot take the elevator down after the old king boss in 1-4? WTF?

Edit: I guess it does not matter, the dragon is gone anyhow. I guess he goes poof when you kill the boss?
You probably got pure white tendency for killing the last boss. They go away if you have pure white.

Ogbert

On my second playthrough; going magic.

Absolutely in love with the game now. Souls games become so much fun when you've worked out where everything is and you can start mucking around.

Got to be honest, magic does seem daftly overpowered. Will take this dude into NG+ and see who it goes.

Top Bottom