• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan says PS5 is ‘well on track’ to be Sony’s most successful console ever

Rockman33

Coming from the guy that put most Sony’s eggs in the basket of GAAS just to pull back once he left/got fired.

Yeah, they are definitely on top of their game…

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
As other have pointed out. It's unlikely he's talking about units sold. Between revenue from the system, games, and PSN(live service), PS5 is going to be huge for Sony.

Chittagong

Gold Member
incredible achievement.

It really shows that it doesn’t matter what the industrial design of the console looks like. PS5 looks truly diabolical, is ridiculously sized (og) and can’t even lay flat without a stand.

And it doesn’t matter if there isn’t any first party games for a year.

It doesn’t even matter that you release a VR headset and leave it out to die.

What seems to truly matter is that your competition is even more incompetent, giving you a free shot at the goal.

tl;dr - give me a PS2 slim tier design and PS3 era exclusives pls Sony

AmuroChan

There's no way the PS5 is touching anything above 130, let alone PS2 numbers.

My guess is that it will reach 125 million by it's lifetime, and that's pushing it.

From a business standpoint, unit sale is not very relevant. The most relevant metric for success is revenue, and that's what Ryan is most likely referring to.

Mr.Phoenix

Unless he’s talking about some made up Phil Spencer metrics there’s no way it tops the PS2 in terms of units sold.

Might have to revise that 160M PS2s sold to 157M just in case the PS5 sells 156M.

ps2.jpg

Jim’s memory must be going to shit.
this is like a filter for IQ....

onQ123

Gran Turismo 4 11.76m, you did say games weren't selling 10-20m but just named two :lollipop_confused:
I know Gran Turismo sold over 10 million I made a thread about how GT used to be the only PlayStation game that used to reach these numbers but now there is so much more. You also have a $199 controller selling like expensive hotcakes & a $199 remote device that's selling out just as fast as they can get them in stock.

PS1 & PS2 was legendary but Wii , PS4 , Switch & PS5 success isn't something to scuff at. They moved a lot of software & accessories plus bringing in money online.

zedinen

Unless he’s talking about some made up Phil Spencer metrics there’s no way it tops the PS2 in terms of units sold.

Jim Ryan is talking about revenues and profits, but

The PS5 is ahead of the PS2
PS5 54.8 m
PS2 51.2 m

And the PS4 has sold more games than the PS2
PS4 ∼2 billion
PS2 ∼1.5 billion

Isn’t every successive console making more money than the last for Sony?

PS1 made more money than the PS2

The PS3 was ... the PS3

Mp9Tfjv.jpeg

Coming from the guy that put most Sony’s eggs in the basket of GAAS just to pull back once he left/got fired.

Yeah, they are definitely on top of their game…

82f3e38c38d1401d828e7afb5c1cb29dc12131fa.gif

IYf8k4T.jpeg

Literally the first game in that initiative is a smash hit.

Yeah

U8uFiTH.jpeg

Qt8bUWa.jpeg

KEBS3VP.jpeg

incredible achievement.

It really shows that it doesn’t matter what the industrial design of the console looks like. PS5 looks truly diabolical, is ridiculously sized (og) and can’t even lay flat without a stand.

And it doesn’t matter if there isn’t any first party games for a year.

It doesn’t even matter that you release a VR headset and leave it out to die.

What seems to truly matter is that your competition is even more incompetent, giving you a free shot at the goal.

tl;dr - give me a PS2 slim tier design and PS3 era exclusives pls Sony

The only thing that matters (Circana):

Nov 2022 GoW Ragnarok #2
Dec 2022 GoW Ragnarok #3
Jan 2023 Forspoken#7 / GoW Ragnarok #8
Feb 2023 The Last of Us: Part 1 #6
Mar 2023 The Last of Us: Part 1 #5
Jun 2023 FF XVI #2
Jul 2023 FF XVI #5
Oct 2023 Spider-Man 2 #1
Nov 2023 Spider-Man 2 #2
Dec 2023 Spider-Man 2 #5
Jan 2024 The Last of Us: Part II # 9 / Spider-Man 2 #10
Feb 2024 Helldivers II #1 / FFVII: Rebirth #2

minus the 10bn wiped off Sony stock by overestimating PS5 sales.

10bn wiped off by Totoki.

Investors believe that: 1) Totoki is willing to sacrifice long-term performance for short-term profits ; 2)Totoki is not primed to manage PlayStation

Sony during Jim Ryan era (up 169.92%)

YKQappZ.jpeg

yurinka

Probably total revenue, not units sold.

They are being more successful that they have ever been, breaking many records for PS's history or even many of them for any console -or console brand, because PS4 continues being very alive- in gaming history. Some of them:
  • SIE has more yearly revenue than any console maker ever made
  • Record hardware revenue
  • Record software revenue
  • Record accessories revenue
  • Record game sub revenue
  • SIE recently had record profits for Sony history
  • The biggest active userbase ever tracked
  • And a year or two ago said they also sold more games sold per console and the biggest ARPU
  • Their 1st party games are selling more than ever and making more money than ever
  • PS6 started as the fastest selling console ever in units, then got pushed back due to shortages, and after recovering is almost at PS4 levels, soon should pass it again
image.png

Jim Ryan is the most successful CEO a console maker ever had by many metrics.

One more lie/shit ass opinion before he leaves
kaz.png
He didn't lie, the factual numbers back his words. You instead lied a lot in this shit post.

Fake news.

What Totoki said is that they wont release new sequels of top tier selling blockbuster existing IPs as were GoWR or Spider-Man 2.

They have a lot of first party releases announced for 2024, some being new IPs (Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Concord, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside), some sequels of not top selling IPs (Helldivers 2, MLB), remasters/remakes (TLOUP2 remastered, Until Dawn remake), PC ports (HFW, GoT) or Destiny 2 expansion (The Final Shape). And maybe something more to be released.

And as always will have 3P exclusives as were FFVII Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink, plus indies and so on.

Last edited:

Skifi28

coincidentally, it's also well on track to having the fewest exclusives ever...
If you count first party games sure, but the average person doesn't care if an exclusive is first party or not, they just see a game they want to play that isn't available on other consoles or sometimes even PC. This year especially has been crazy, yet all I see is people claiming "no games".

If you count first party games sure, but the average person doesn't care if an exclusive is first party or not, they just see a game they want to play that isn't available on other consoles or sometimes even PC. This year especially has been crazy, yet all I see is people claiming "no games".
just stating a fact, is all...

Caffeine

I think the pandemic/larger amount of scalping just got people to get one earlier then expected so you got a sharper uptick from the gate. I do think it will start downtrending earlier then previous devices.

Alan Wake

Units sold is something we on gaming forums care about, not anyone else. Obviously Sony cares about revenue and profit.

Killjoy-NL

No first party games in over a year.
Absolutely zero clue about whats next for 1st party releases.
Insane amount of secrecy
Zero communication
overly focused on GAAS trash
WAY too many remasters and remakes
You killed E3
You raised prices
You stopped going to gameshows
Massive layoffs
You wasted 3BILLION on Bungie, and they are making a shitty GAAS game
You let Bungie tell your best, most talented studio what to do, and that got their game cancelled
Game cancellations left and right

From a fan perspective, this is easily the worst its been since the Early PS3 days.
I bet there's a reason why you have your tag and Jim Ryan was head of Playstation.

I think Jim is right more so if SONY can find a way to cut the price in a couple of years. I think more of a problem is having massive teams spend over 4 years working on 1 game with no revenue coming in until the game is finished. Not like the old days when a team was working on a game for 3 to years it had a separate line of the same team, working on other projects.

It seems only the likes of The Yakuza team and Capcom still handle that sort of practice

Robb

Gold Member
Dude, they just released Helldivers 2 and Rise of Ronin with Stellar Blade scheduled for next month.
If “they” mean Sony, “they” didn’t. They’re only publishing those titles, none of them are first party as far as I know.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Taking a moment to declare "we've never been so successful!" less than a month after laying off 900 employees feels pretty tone deaf, Jimbo. He's not at Spencer-levels of "please just shut the fuck up", but he's sure stepping into the ring.
You can't be successful without putting a few thousand people under economic stress as you walk off into the sunset with a huge bonus.

Robb

Gold Member
Yes, they are funded, co-developed (through XDEV) and published by Sony. That is what makes them first party. I don't make the rules.
The only first party IP in there is Helldivers, which is developed by a 3rd party studio and not Sony. And for the sake of the argument in the link it’s not Ps5 exclusive either as it’s also on PC.

Rise of the Ronin is owned by Koei Tecmo and Stellar Blade is owned by Shift Up. None of those two are first party games/first party IP’s.

I’ll also add that I don’t think it matters much and this is just semantics though. Games are games. First party or not. I just wish their first party output was better personally.

Last edited:

Oof85

Jim Ryan is the most successful CEO a console maker ever had by many metrics.
Can't quite agree when their profit margins have been so thin, and as leaks and outright reports have shown us, unsustainable.

He's clearly better than Spencer but in terms of bringing back the most important thing to a company, ie profits the deceased Iwata still has to be top platform CEO so far.

He took over after two consecutive disappointments(N64/GC) brought about the Wii and DS(highest profits seen by a platform holder until.....), fumbled with the WiiU and 3ds, sacrificed the WiiU to ensure the 3ds thrived, and was the CEO when the Switch was developed(highest profits seen by a console manufacturer yet) but died before launch.

Revenue is great and shows growth but as we've seen, it can be a pyrhhic victory if operational costs aren't inversely low.

Sony themselves have told us this, in recent months.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You can't be successful without putting a few thousand people under economic stress as you walk off into the sunset with a huge bonus.

Jim Ryan was supposed to be their Mommy! A mother is supposed to nurture, raise, and care for her children. Jim Ryan worst mother ever.

It will top it.It only needs same time around 10 years on the market without a next generation maybe after 8-9 years.And a tiny bit price reduction.At 399 dollars in 10 years it will pass the PS2 even the PS4 would have done it if the reduced the price to 199.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
playstation-careers-jim-ryan-column-image-01-en-29oct19-1280x854.webp

Jim Ryan has said that the PlayStation 5 is on track to be Sony’s most successful console “across multiple vectors”

“I’d say right now we’re at the top of our game,” he replied. “We’ve been really clear and really consistent about what we stand for great consoles, great console gaming experience, and great games. I would say that right now we’re at the top of our game.”

“PlayStation 5 is well on track to be our most successful console ever across multiple vectors and I think the games and the gaming experiences you see on PlayStation 5, lead by PlayStation Studios, are the best that we’ve ever seen.”

Ryan continued, “The number of games we’ve published so far on PlayStation 5 at this point in the cycle, way exceeds anything that we’ve ever done before.”

Isn't he supposed to be leaving these days?

MiguelItUp

To me, it's wild to think about because it feels like it hasn't had a ton of booming exclusives, especially when compared to previous PlayStations. Hell, it's trippy to think about us approaching the "Pro" period, and I feel like there could and "should" be more.

Oof85

Come back to me when PS5 sells more consoles. Until it actually happens you have nothing but hot air.

PS2 shits all over PS5.
The barometer for success isn't in units sold but profits.

It wouldn't matter if the PS WHATEVER sold 300 million units if they were sold at a loss.

Hence why Nintendo tries to profit off whatever hardware is sold day one, using withered technology at times to ensure this.

Then you're always in the black, as long as you sell past a certain threshold at a certain price point.

I will say that PS2 as a platform had a way better game portfolio at this time in its life vs the 5 by far but that was also a much different era in terms of game placement.

Back then, a game could just release on one platform and make back enough to be very profitable. Nowadays?

Multiplatform is the rule, where it was inverted back then.

The boxes have largely lost their personalities and are mostly twins. Hence the importance if first party exclusives.

No first party games in over a year.
Absolutely zero clue about whats next for 1st party releases.
Insane amount of secrecy
Zero communication
overly focused on GAAS trash
WAY too many remasters and remakes
You killed E3
You raised prices
You stopped going to gameshows
Massive layoffs
You wasted 3BILLION on Bungie, and they are making a shitty GAAS game
You let Bungie tell your best, most talented studio what to do, and that got their game cancelled
Game cancellations left and right

From a fan perspective, this is easily the worst its been since the Early PS3 days.
Do people talk just to talk? They had spider Man in October, Helldivers and FF in Feb, Ronin in March and Stellar blade coming up.

I'm not thrilled with this gen overall (not just sony, it hasn't been as good from third parties either in terms of new IP and timely releases) but I think people take it overboard. Like I just listed 5 games, in which 3 scored well, 1 scored ok and 1 is tbd but is seeming to get some good press from a demo and early previews. That's all games that are console exclusives in a 6 to 7 month stretch. I understand people have different tastes in genres and games but if that list doesn't have anything that interests you, maybe this hobby just isn't for you.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Do people talk just to talk? They had spider Man in October, Helldivers and FF in Feb, Ronin in March and Stellar blade coming up.
We are talking about 1st Party games, Spider-Man is the only 1st party game you listed.... They dont have another 1st party game schedueled until sometime in 2025.. That will be a full year from Spider-Man 2 til their next 1st party release.

Oct 2023 -> Sometime in 2025 without a major 1st party title aint good

Last edited:
We are talking about 1st Party games, Spider-Man is the only 1st party game you listed.... They dont have another 1st party game schedueled until sometime in 2025.. That will be a full year from Spider-Man 2 til their next 1st party release.
What's the difference? It's just such a foolish term. If Sont buys arrowhead due to the success is it suddenly first party? Point is, they are getting quality games on their console only. The term of first or second party is just completely irrelevant imo.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
What's the difference? It's just such a foolish term. If Sont buys arrowhead due to the success is it suddenly first party? Point is, they are getting quality games on their console only. The term of first or second party is just completely irrelevant imo.
The difference is the level of quality. Sony 1st Party Studios are some of the best in the industry... There's a big difference between getting an AAA game from say, Team Ninja versus Santa Monica...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

The difference is Sony’s Studios pumped out far more games. Now it’s a limp trickle that has to be padded with paid exclusive games developed by other third party publishers.
Hell, on PS2 Devil May Cry, Tekken, Ace Combat, and just about every big third party game was an exclusive simply because of Sony’s dominance.

People acting like PS5 is anywhere close to PS2’s level are either crazy or weren’t born/too young to know.

Last edited:
Great games? 🤔 I presume he's talking about 3rd party cause the first-party output is laughable Jim. Sales are strong but his complete mismanagement of first-party studio's has left them with almost nothing for 2024 and very little in 2023.

Thankfully he's left (told to leave more likely) so PS can start producing high quality games again.

The only first party IP in there is Helldivers, which is developed by a 3rd party studio and not Sony. And for the sake of the argument in the link it’s not Ps5 exclusive either as it’s also on PC.

Rise of the Ronin is owned by Koei Tecmo and Stellar Blade is owned by Shift Up. None of those two are first party games/first party IP’s.

I’ll also add that I don’t think it matters much and this is just semantics though. Games are games. First party or not. I just wish their first party output was better personally.

Do you play business semantics instead of games?

Top Bottom