• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan says PS5 is ‘well on track’ to be Sony’s most successful console ever

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
playstation-careers-jim-ryan-column-image-01-en-29oct19-1280x854.webp

Jim Ryan has said that the PlayStation 5 is on track to be Sony’s most successful console “across multiple vectors”

“I’d say right now we’re at the top of our game,” he replied. “We’ve been really clear and really consistent about what we stand for great consoles, great console gaming experience, and great games. I would say that right now we’re at the top of our game.”

“PlayStation 5 is well on track to be our most successful console ever across multiple vectors and I think the games and the gaming experiences you see on PlayStation 5, lead by PlayStation Studios, are the best that we’ve ever seen.”

Ryan continued, “The number of games we’ve published so far on PlayStation 5 at this point in the cycle, way exceeds anything that we’ve ever done before.”

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm pretty sure he must mean profit and revenue wise.

He says successful not unit sold.

The PS5, it's more expensive games and subscription service is bringing in more money than the PS2.
Thank you.

IIRC the PS4 was already classified as being more successful than the PS2. And we know its not by units sold.

To be fair, it can be more successful by different metrics. As an example, PS4 made vastly more money for Sony in one year than the whole PS2 gen did..

This.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No first party games in over a year.
Absolutely zero clue about whats next for 1st party releases.
Insane amount of secrecy
Zero communication
overly focused on GAAS trash
WAY too many remasters and remakes
You killed E3
You raised prices
You stopped going to gameshows
Massive layoffs
You wasted 3BILLION on Bungie, and they are making a shitty GAAS game
You let Bungie tell your best, most talented studio what to do, and that got their game cancelled
Game cancellations left and right

From a fan perspective, this is easily the worst its been since the Early PS3 days.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The PS5 is also more successful at porting games to PC.
Without checking to make sure, the PS4 might have that crown. Its probably close tho.

If a console could actually port games.

Loxus

No first party games in over a year.
Absolutely zero clue about whats next for 1st party releases.
Insane amount of secrecy
Zero communication
overly focused on GAAS trash
WAY too many remasters and remakes
You killed E3
You stopped going to gameshows

From a fan perspective, this is easily the worst its been since the Early PS3 days.
Are you talking about Phil Spencer?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Their revenue and profits are much but he also mentions their game output which frankly has been underwhelming and the cross Gen releases have held back this generation which typically relies on first party to push new tech.

Having one major first party game last year and none this year is simply not good enough. The fact that he had to go out and sign forspoken, death loop, ghostwire tokyo, ff7, ff16 and godfall as exclusives shows that he knew the first party was doing to have a down first few years.

No, my dude.

1. The market is not growing

eMLfGOG.jpg

2. Gen Z and babies that still are yet to be born are not buying consoles. This is why Nintendo is not selling them.

3. Capitalism (what Is it?) i dunno, but i know is killing consoles

my advice to Jim is that he needs to put their games on Xbox (especially Helldivers 2). if he wants to survive in this dying industry.

I don’t think its that insignificant, but consider that this man is leaving with konami games back on playstation and xbox putting its games there as well

Loxus

They are both just as bad. At least Phil Spend-sir has Xbox show up at industry gameshows like E3 when it was alive. And at least we know what their 1st party game roadmap is. Sony treats their game roadmap like Nuclear codes. We have no idea what anyone is working on
And what's wrong with not knowing what games they're working on?
It's not like we can play them until they're released.

There's no way the PS5 is touching anything above 130, let alone PS2 numbers.

My guess is that it will reach 125 million by it's lifetime, and that's pushing it.

The most successful = the one that generates the most money.

And in that he is right, this last year they surpassed the 30 billion barrier.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Unless he’s talking about some made up Phil Spencer metrics there’s no way it tops the PS2 in terms of units sold.
Others pointed out 'success' already - but notable that PS4 outsold PS2 in software units by 20-30% (possibly more, but Sony stopped reporting PS4 software sales).

I'm pretty sure he must mean profit and revenue wise.
Well - could also be software units (see above).

Unless he’s talking about some made up Phil Spencer metrics there’s no way it tops the PS2 in terms of units sold.
He says across multiple vectors. It’s out-pacing PS2 launch-aligned, I believe. And it means in sales dollars and revenue growth, profits, etc. A lot of PS2s sold at $99 and were for DVD playing and not even for gaming by some users. At the time, DVD players as a standalone product were prohibitively expensive.

A PS2 sold didn’t do Sony much good if no one bought games for it.

Last edited:

onQ123

It doesn't have to PS5 is being sold at $399 - $499 & there is so much more money being made through the online network.

Games wasn't selling 10 - 20 million on PS2

willothedog

It doesn't have to PS5 is being sold at $399 - $499 & there is so much more money being made through the online network.

Games wasn't selling 10 - 20 million on PS2
Gran Turismo 3 sold 14.89m and the $299 PS2 launch price is $538 in today's money :lollipop_confused:

Last edited:
The metric is money and ps2 isn’t the most successful ps console ever. Ps4 is. Ps5 is going to surpass it with ease i think.

y’all really think consoles sold is the main metric? Lmao. Not how much money each user spends on first party games, subscriptions etc? Ps2 wasn’t all that at the end of the generation for sony.

Chris said it better:

Its weird to read that first page and all the laughing emojis on that OP. Most people in a dedicated videogame forum think ps2 was sonys most successful console? Really?

Last edited:
Top Bottom