• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Playerbase is reportedly mass refunding The Final Shape after Bungie layoffs

Kerotan

$100 is more than full standalone AAA games and yet they still charge mtx on top of that.
How can they justify that price when a lot of the content in the expansions are reused assets and not created from scratch?

On top of that, they actually take away content via vaulting because they need you to be on that continual grind.
What other company could do this and get away with it?
FIFA is €110 a year for it's ultimate back and it gives you fuck all "new" content. Same for MW3 Vault Edition. Destiny really isn't that big a value proposition.

Neolombax

Yea, I thought most of GAF wont even touch Destiny 2, but those who dont play seem to have the strongest reactions to this? Thats wild. Destiny 2 has not been in a good place ever since Lightfall launched due to lack of new content. This news only "broke the camels back" is a reaction of active players towards a myriad of blunders from Bungie's side. Also it didn't help that the Final Shape showcase was very mid based on general thoughts I gathered from social media and reddit (I personally thought it was incredibly boring, hence did not preorder like I usually do), so I think it really wasn't that hard of a decision to refund for some players.

While I can't deny Bungie is money hungry for a lot of their in-game store practices, I was never particularly affected since I don't engage with the store at all. Bungie as a whole started to leave a sour taste in my mouth when they blocked a lot of communication between the community to the devs due to death threat cases in the past. While it is commendable for Bungie to look out for their people in this manner, I thought taking out the community aspect that made Destiny survive beyond The Dark Below and Curse of Osiris was incredibly stupid and could have been handled way better.

I think people are justified to ask for refunds, it doesn't mean these same people wont engage with their final expansion. It just means Bungie needs to show players more promising content and prove themselves back again before we purchase their product. I really don't really agree with "refunds will cause more layoffs", as if the consumers are to blame. If the product was in good place to begin with, none of this would have happened.

hyperbertha

I’ll be there day one and I’ll get the supreme version of Marathon.

People focus on the dumbest things when it comes to entertainment. It’s media homie, consume or don’t. Don’t need to make everything agenda driven and go to social media with your dip shit actions.
Not agreeing with boycotters but this is a pretty dumb take.

jcorb

I used to fucking *LOVE* the original Destiny and its expansions. Unfortunately, Destiny 2 was a complete mess from its very inception. The idea that it needed a "sequel" at all pretty much laid the groundwork for all its future fuck-ups, compounded by their constant nickel-and-diming of their community.

I thought the individual DLC's and larger Expansions would've been a great model for gamers. But with Eververse, they clearly stopped putting as much effort into *actual* rewards for playing the game, which obviously meant that playing the game was less enticing. Then they started the "Seasons/Battle Pass" shit, which again, only made the game less inviting. Eventually they pretty well stopped making content to earn for playing the game itself, with *everything* revolving around spending real money.

And then there were the boneheaded design choices that *still* haunt the game to this day, with the "Primary weapons and Energy weapons being different slots". They've made strides to fix some of those issues, but they seem afraid to actually go all the way.

To this day, the best Destiny experience is to go back and play the original game, as it's the most complete experience you can really get, and feels fairly congruent.

It sucks, because the core gameplay is still a blast, but I think Destiny 2 is honestly beyond salvaging. They need to have a relatively clean slate, and *then* allow players to import their rewards (even if they're purely cosmetic) from *both* of the first games. That, and automatically unlocking past Exotics as they are officially added to this hypothetical "Destiny 3".

But bring ALL of the storylines and missions from BOTH games, and put them into one singular, congruent experience. Let people choose which "planets" they want to install or remove to keep that hard-drive space down, but honestly? Destiny would probably be a pretty incredible experience, if it wasn't scattered across two completely disconnected games, with a bunch of major story beats that were removed once their "seasons" were over.

Top Bottom