• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Developer who was not happy with Xbox 360 beta kits ID'd"

Wunderchu

hasanahmad said:
http://condemned.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=5358518&publicUserId=5638732#comments

With the melee-combat mechanics we are using, frame-rate is critical to getting the sensation of swinging weapons while we have some very nitty-gritty environments which cry out for all the effect and shaders we can enable. Even with the power of the Xbox 360, performance is clearly going to be our major hurdle to continue to overcome. Running a game at 720p on HDTV sucks up all the power you can throw at it -- and more. We'll continue to optimize, tweak and streamline wherever possible -- as long as it doesn't detract from the vision of our game.

What do you think? Considering Condemned is one of the worst looking (Comparitively) games on Xbox 360. Bad hardware? Bad Development? Bad Transfer from Alpha to beta kits? or just bad code
[source: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=537404#post537404 ]

Dr_Cogent

Banned
From what I have already seen from this game, I am not impressed. What their devs have to say means very little to me.

sangreal

isn't this a PC port? No surprise.

is element working on this game?

edit:
to clarify, I mean I'm not surprised they'd have difficulty optimizing a PC port

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The title seems to refer to them as if we knew someone was unhappy with devkits and these were the guys. How would you take that from this?

It also doesn't say they're unhappy with the kits.

bitwise

Banned
gofreak said:
The title seems to refer to them as if we knew someone was unhappy with devkits and these were the guys. How would you take that from this?

It also doesn't say they're unhappy with the kits.

haha yeah i was gonna say

he's gone to the sonycowboy school of paraphrasing.

bogg

Error Macro said:
Well, it is Monolith, right?

Condemned is my #1 most-anticipated X360 title.
Not the one of NOLF fame. The other Monolith, forgot what games they made, but they aint that hot.

littlewig

Banned
What to believe, what to believe, First hand accounts from a developer or the hype that MS and Sony are spewing.... tough choice. :lol

The bad is that the very early screens of the game were very interesting, with all those contrasts in black and white... it seemed very Sin City-like. From the latest screens and movies, instead, they seem to have switched towards a more realistic approach, and it makes the game look much worse. Too bad :-(

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
littlewig said:
What to believe, what to believe, First hand accounts from a developer or the hype that MS and Sony are spewing.... tough choice. :lol

Welp, you're certainly holding true to what I said about you two weeks ago...

Minotauro said:
Seriously, every one of your posts is either a little one sentence jab at Sony or Microsoft or a praise for Nintendo. Then, you pepper them with lol smileys as if what you're saying is in any way humorous. Just go away.

stupid ass-lazy developers without skills i say.

And im a sony-probot. But the better the hardware gets, the more easily you see who is a bad programmer etc.

raYne

littlewig said:
Individual, one, single, sole, solitary, solo, unique, singular.

Kuroyume

Banned
ps2.gif

Off topic but omg... :lol Awesome

sirris

Theres no way hes maxing out that machine with what they're doing with Condemned. He certainly isn't utilizing more than 2 of the 6 command threads available. In a nutshell hes maxing out 1 of the 3 available chips. Yea, hes really pushing the hardware there. :lol

Is this another case of a PC developer getting its ass kicked developing for a console?

Even Xbox has at least 1 game that runs 720p 60fps FSAA with plenty of polys onscreen.

Minotauro said:
Welp, you're certainly holding true to what I said about you two weeks ago...

I had that douche put on my ignore list a month ago. Stop quoting his lame ass so I don't have to read his tripe accidently again, pro favor. ;)

Redbeard

Banned
Between this and From Software's comments it seems like it would've made more sense to leave resolution up to the developer instead of mandating HD. It seems like it would've helped early on with games like this, anyway.

sangreal

Redbeard said:
Between this and From Software's comments it seems like it would've made more sense to leave resolution up to the developer instead of mandating HD. It seems like it would've helped early on with games like this, anyway.
No thanks, mandatory HD has me sold on both the Xbox 360 and an HDTV. I doubt his optimization issues really have much to do with resolution unless you're telling me it won't be playable on PC over 640x480.

I'd put more credence to this guy's statement about the 720p limiting the frame rate if he was a programmer. Seeing that he is an artist that became producer, I think he possibly might not have the right facts about what's slowing down the game.

Yeah, he is in the inside, and I'm just some dude at a messageboard, but it seems to me that we are latching too much on to his passing statement that he probably didn't think too much into.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Shogmaster said:
I'd put more credence to this guy's statement about the 720p limiting the frame rate if he was a programmer. Seeing that he is an artist that became producer, I think he possibly might not have the right facts about what's slowing down the game.

Yeah, he is in the inside, and I'm just some dude at a messageboard
Yes, and that's probably where you should have stopped. :p

Jesiatha

sangreal said:
unless you're telling me it won't be playable on PC over 640x480.

1280x720 w/ 2x supersampling is very nearly the same as 1600x1200 w/ no antialiasing.

But it's not like the GPU doesn't have enough power for that many pixels.

sangreal

Jesiatha said:
1280x720 w/ 2x supersampling is very nearly the same as 1600x1200 w/ no antialiasing.

But it's not like the GPU doesn't have enough power for that many pixels.

yes, but why would they be using 2x supersampling instead of multisampling, which is meant to be "free" on the 360.

Like you said though, there should be enough power either way

bishoptl said:
Yes, and that's probably where you should have stopped. :p

Yeah yeah, fuck you too Bishop. :p

Hey, I'm just saying. I've worked with alot of producers without tech background on variety of projects (some games), and most of them are not all that tech savvy. They just have enough tech knowledge to get out of the discussion when it get's heavy. ;)

Top Bottom