• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Resident Evil Village: The Digital Foundry Tech Review + PS5, Xbox Series X|S Analysis!

Riky

$MSFT
Man it is hard to you.

Smart Delivery works like that... it downloads the assets specially to the Xbox platform you playing... so if you are downloading on Series X it will download the high quality textures if the game has different texture quality between versions.

When you move the same data do Series S the render engine auto shrink the texture in run-time so the result is the low quality assets of that version. But when you move the downloaded Series S data with lower quality assets to Series X it will need to download and replace the assets.

The fact the downloaded game on Series S has less size than the downloaded game on Series X tells you are just contnue with the same mistakes.

You really aren't that bright, the file size is the same no matter which Series console you download it on, somebody else has also just confirmed that above. Just admit you're wrong.

ethomaz

Banned
So sMaRt dElIvErY too then?
Not so smart.

On PS you have two packages... PS4 and PS5... both are fully packages... and the system choose to download one or another depending where you are trying to download it.

On Xbox it is a bit more smart... it is break in common binaries and platform assets... so when you choose to download the MS system download the common data + the platform specific assets.

The end result is basically the same... the difference is that when you take your game to another system on PS you have to download everything again and on Xbox in the worst case you just need to download the high quality assets.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You really aren't that bright, the file size is the same no matter which Series console you download it on, somebody else has also just confirmed that above. Just admit you're wrong.
Nope.
If it is for Village it is because it uses the same assets across X and S.

But games on Series X and Series S have different sizes when use different assets.
It is a joy to teach you how Xbox works :messenger_winking:

123968343_163256238843268_5941911253566347160_n.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not so smart.

On PS you have two packages... PS4 and PS5... both are fully packages... and the system choose to download one or another depending where you are trying to download it.

On Xbox it is a bit more smart... it is break in common binaries and platform assets... so when you choose to download the MS system download the common data + the platform specific assets.
Bro.... I can't choose which version like I used to on the Store App. I used to be able to select which version, like YOU STILL CAN for MLB The Show. Now, some games that USED TO BE SELECTABLE, are no longer selectable.

There is no "PS4 version" and "PS5 version" option for RE8 on their store, like there is with MLB The Show still (how ALL the games were at launch), so there is some form of consolidation going on, which they are retroactively doing to past games as well. You used to have to select which version to buy for Valhalla and the like, you don't any longer. They don't even mention the consoles at all in the front and center with a label like they used to.

So now the console knows which version to choose in the one store purchase. Sounds like the same shit to me.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Bro.... I can't choose which version like I used to on the Store App. I used to be able to select which version, like YOU STILL CAN for MLB The Show. Now, some games that USED TO BE SELECTABLE, are no longer selectable.

There is no "PS4 version" and "PS5 version" option for RE8 on their store, like there is with MLB The Show still (how ALL the games were at launch), so there is some form of consolidation going on, which they are retroactively doing to past games as well. You used to have to select which version to buy for Valhalla and the like, you don't any longer. They don't even mention the consoles at all in the front and center with a label like they used to.
Yeap... they removed the choice.
The system will auto choose the PS5 version now.

We lose the ability to choose to install the PS4 version on PS5.

The exceptions are the games that needs the PS4 version to run in PSVR BC... Hitman 3 I believe is one example.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Speaking about the loading screens, even the last gen consoles are noticeably improved over VII they don't bother me while on REVII they were very long...

Capcom did a good job considering how much prettier it looks compared to 7

ethomaz

Banned
Sounds smart. :pie_smirking:
Yeap it is smart.

But on Xbox if you download the game on Series X it will run on Series S.
If you download a game on Series S and try to run on Series X it will just download the Series X platforms different assets (if the game have different assets).

On PS you will always to have to download the full package.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeap it is smart.

But on Xbox if you download the game on Series X it will run on Series S.
If you download a game on Series S and try to run on Series X it will just download the Series X platforms different assets (if the game have different assets).

On PS you will always to have to download the full package.
Well, because there is only one spec on the PS5. Another smart move, IMO.

Mr Moose

Yeap... they removed the choice.
The system will auto choose the PS5 version now.

We lose the ability to choose to install the PS4 version on PS5.

The exceptions are the games that needs the PS4 version to run in PSVR BC... Hitman 3 I believe is one example.
Weird, I still have the option to select PS4 versions of the games I've got installed (Destiny 2, Genshin Impact, CoD Cold War).
Only from the dashboard though, not from my library (from the library I have to click the game, then the ... to install the PS4 versions of games).

Riky

$MSFT
Nope.
If it is for Village it is because it uses the same assets across X and S.

But games on Series X and Series S have different sizes when use different assets.
It is a joy to teach you how Xbox works :messenger_winking:

123968343_163256238843268_5941911253566347160_n.jpg

Wow, I actually overestimated you 🤣🤣

I said not back a few posts ago that the exception was "shrinkable'" games, so you post a picture of the "shrinkable" games. Resident Evil 8 is not "shrinkable".
You download it on Series S it's 30.2gb, you download it on Series X it's 30.2gb, you can move that file between machines and it works with no download. I've literally just done it as I own 2 Series X and 2 Series S as well as the Storage card.
How are you testing it may I ask?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Weird, I still have the option to select PS4 versions of the games I've got installed (Destiny 2, Genshin Impact, CoD Cold War).
Only from the dashboard though, not from my library (from the library I have to click the game, then the ... to install the PS4 versions of games).
Seems like they are changing... some games that in the past had the option doesn't have anymore.

ethomaz

Banned
Wow, I actually overestimated you 🤣🤣

I said not back a few posts ago that the exception was "shrinkable'" games, so you post a picture of the "shrinkable" games. Resident Evil 8 is not "shrinkable".
You download it on Series S it's 30.2gb, you download it on Series X it's 30.2gb.l, you can move that file between machines and it works with no download. I've literally just done it as I own 2 Series X and 2 Series S as well as the Storage card.
How are you testing it may I ask?
You can Shrink downloaded with Series X assets on Series S but that is an option.
If you download direct on Series S that is the size you will have without shrink option... the download already has the low quality assets.

Are you playing dumb? People already explained that to you in previous threads and you continue with the false claim.

Resident Evil Village uses the same assets across versions lol
It doesn't have platform specific assets.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
On the console itself, you may still be able to since it has BC with the PS4 library.

For the store, they seem to be streamlining it all into one purchase (one purchase nets both versions PS4/PS5 for your library). MLB seems, so far, to be the last of the old way of selecting which version on the app/web store (due to the $59 vs $69), and I noticed some older games (like launch titles) have combined into one purchase now as well after they have been discounted.

RE8 is only $59, so you get both in one.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
"Real prob"?

tenor.gif

The GPUs inside PS5/XSX are fine. They're decent for the price you're paying.
I was saying about it as if in the near future the speed of the new SSDs will be able to change what is already the limit of the consoles. it is and will always be the gpu for both consoles. The speed of the ssd changes the fact that when we had the normal hdd, the limit in streaming assets was the hdd itself. now both consoles have ssds overkill for gpus power...and when you see losing frames in games like this one ... is pretty telling. But clearly it will be hundreds of times better than the past.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
You can Shrink downloaded with Series X assets on Series S but that is an option.
If you download direct on Series S that is the size you will have without shrink option... the download already has the low quality assets.

Are you playing dumb?

I don't know how much simpler I can make it but I'll try. You now admit the Series X "version" plays on Series S, which is what I originally said, so all the files are contained in that download. So we're getting somewhere. That download is 30.2gb

If you download it on Series S it's........30.2gb and you can play that file on Series X as well because IT'S THE SAME FILE.
The game is not "shrinkable" as in you can't remove the higher assets that belong for Series X when you have the game installed on Series S.
So once again, the 30.2gb file contains the files for both versions and plays on both machines without any additional downloads. As I said originally.

MonarchJT

Banned
I did, you didn't.

* Performance pretty much same in everything except during 10 seconds in the 10 hours of the game where Xbox has a 1 to 10% more framerate.
* PS5 500% faster loading.
* Dual Sens features.

PS5 best place to play RE Village confirmed.
okay sure

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know how much simpler I can make it but I'll try. You now admit the Series X "version" plays on Series S, which is what I originally said, so all the files are contained in that download. So we're getting somewhere. That download is 30.2gb

If you download it on Series S it's........30.2gb and you can play that file on Series X as well because IT'S THE SAME FILE.
The game is not "shrinkable" as in you can't remove the higher assets that belong for Series X when you have the game installed on Series S.
So once again, the 30.2gb file contains the files for both versions and plays on both machines without any additional downloads. As I said originally.
Man I don't know what to say.

RE Village uses the same assets in both version... it is the same... the same core data and platform data... the assests used are the same.
But that is not what Smart Delivery is... and I showed you examples that Series S games have different sizes of Series X.

It is already the 10th time people explain you that.

Xbox Smart Delivery.

- Core data (binaries and files shared between platforms).
- Platform data (assets and files that are different between platforms).

Games that have different files/assets between platforms will follow:

- Downloaded on Series X (big download): will work on Series S and the platform specific files can be shrinked (will end with same size as small download).
- Downloaded on Series S (small download): will have to download new platform data to run on Series X.

You keep the "there is two versions of the game that is because it is bigger in size" bullshit for yourself.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Another clear win for Xbox. Faster loading is nice but it's just racing to second place if the performance isn't as good. I've not noticed a single stutter playing on Series X with VRR and the game looks amazing.
Performance is near-identical judging from avg. fps. PS5 just needs VRR and it'll take a clear win with faster loading while having similar perf to Xbox.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Sounds like chose to keep it all in one file, ala PC, and the system then selects the .config to use.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Performance is near-identical judging from avg. fps. PS5 just needs VRR and it'll take a clear win with faster loading while having similar perf to Xbox.
Cool enjoy playing in six months or so.

MonarchJT

Banned
there is out there any game that is not near - identical on both platform? let's say it didn't stop anyone from cheering even when the difference was half that in this game. Xbox have quick resume no one will relaunch the game from zero and it also have vrr today.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Man I don't know what to say.

RE Village uses the same assets in both version... it is the same... the same core data and platform data... the assests used are the same.

But that is not what Smart Delivery is... and I showed you examples that Series S games have different sizes of Series X.

I'll recap because you're slow.

In this thread the Resident Evil 8 thread file sizes were mentioned. I said remember the file size includes both Series X and S files.
I didn't mention Dirt 5, Gears 5 or Sea Of Thieves because we're just talking about Resident Evil 8 thread, I've already posted all the details on those games before how if you download on Series S you get a smaller download than Series X and if you move the file to Series X you have to download additional data.
But we're talking about Resident Evil 8 here and it's file size, it's 30.2gb for Series consoles, if you download it on Series X it's 30.2gb if you download it on Series S it's 30.2gb .
If you download it on Series S you can take that file and play it on Series X with no download of additional data. If you download it on Series X you can play it on Series S.
So the 30.2gb file contains the files for both machines and is the same file.
It's that simple and I've tested it myself.

SSfox

Found this online.
  • PS4 - 29.4 GB
  • Xbox One - 27.11 GB
  • PS5 - 27.4 GB
  • XSX - 30.22 GB
Hum pretty much identical, i wonder if in those PS4 and Xbox One versions size the 4K resolution textures are included. I think no but just a guess can be wrong.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hum pretty much identical, i wonder if in those PS4 and Xbox One versions size the 4K resolution textures are included. I think no but just a guess can be wrong.
Nah, they just don't have as much compression as the next gen consoles can utilize with their faster I/Os / CPU / coprocessor.

ethomaz

Banned
I'll recap because you're slow.

In this thread the Resident Evil 8 thread file sizes were mentioned. I said remember the file size includes both Series X and S files.
I didn't mention Dirt 5, Gears 5 or Sea Of Thieves because we're just talking about Resident Evil 8 thread, I've already posted all the details on those games before how if you download on Series S you get a smaller download than Series X and if you move the file to Series X you have to download additional data.
But we're talking about Resident Evil 8 here and it's file size, it's 30.2gb for Series consoles, if you download it on Series X it's 30.2gb if you download it on Series S it's 30.2gb .
If you download it on Series S you can take that file and play it on Series X with no download of additional data. If you download it on Series X you can play it on Series S.
So the 30.2gb file contains the files for both machines and is the same file.
It's that simple and I've tested it myself.
Man you are suck bullshiter spinner lol.
Let me refresh your mind of what you quoted.

lol yes.

It's either XSX package does not contain the XSS version (and PS5 indeed has smaller game sizes because of file management and powerful decompression) or Xbox Smart Delivery is a scam by Phil 😛 /s
Well since I've actually just moved the game from my Series X to S via the storage card in the last hour and it just booted up straight away then can you explain how that works then? I'd be really interested to find out.

Boom.
You wanted again to spread the lie about having two version in the package to spin the bigger size in Xbox games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Md Ray

the others will just have better perf that playing of ps5 with the same issue that ps5 having (i.e. not having VRR)
At the end of the day, it'll feel near-identical to play on both X and PS5. Because the avg fps difference is like 00.386% between them.

ethomaz

Banned
I've just told you I've tested it BOTH ways, download on Series S and played on Series X and visa versa. It's only 30.2gb so doesn't take long.
I can actually do that, you can't.
Man.

Resident Evil Village has one version... same assets for both Series S and Series X... it doesn't have platform specif assets.

Can't you read?

I challenge you to do the test with Dirt 5 and post the results.
After show the truth you should never talk lies again about the subject.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Man.

Resident Evil Village has one version... same assets for both Series S and Series X... it doesn't have platform specif assets.

Can't you read?
I said that from the beginning, you're so dumb. I said remember the file size contains file for both versions! It does as I've been saying from the very beginning 🤣🤷🤷

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man.

Can't you read?

I challenge you to do the test with Dirt 5 and post the results.
Yay, we have come full circle. You are both saying the same thing, but in polarizing ways. :pie_roffles:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There is actual way to software fix it... there are some workaround settings LG added thought firmwares.
Only new hardware can have the issue fixed.
That is not a fix, it is asking users to manually tweak some settings per game as the issue is framerate dependent essentially. Also, even kind of workaround is not available on C9 TV’s which further restricts it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom