• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Resident Evil Village: The Digital Foundry Tech Review + PS5, Xbox Series X|S Analysis!

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Because he spinned like usual.
The quote I corrected him was about he trying to bullshit that the game has two version and so it is bigger on Xbox.
The only spinning we should be getting behind,
yWZpsvv.gif

Riky

$MSFT
Also in that Xbox file size is the Series S files.

Because he spinned like usual.
The quote I corrected him was about he trying to bullshit that the game has two version and so it is bigger on Xbox.

There is the original quote that started it all. The Xbox file contains files for both versions. You are the one who started going on about "smart delivery" which in this instance only detects the difference between Series and One consoles. Why you started posting pictures of Sea Of Thieves, Gears etc I have no idea as they were totally irrelevant.

ethomaz

Banned
There is the original quote that started it all. The Xbox file contains files for both versions. You are the one who started going on about "smart delivery" which in this instance only detects the difference between Series and One consoles. Why you started posting pictures of Sea Of Thieves, Gears etc I have no idea as they were totally irrelevant.
Keep trying.

Last edited:
Another clear win for Xbox. Faster loading is nice but it's just racing to second place if the performance isn't as good. I've not noticed a single stutter playing on Series X with VRR and the game looks amazing.
VRR is a big plus on Series X. Even if both consoles drop frames to 50 (for example) you're just not gonna notice as much on Series X. Still would recommend on PC since the FOV on consoles seems a bit close mate.

Don't plan on playing this game since first-person Resident Evil doesn't appeal to me. Also, I've said this in another thread, I don't think I've ever seen a main character in a videogame look exactly he writes about videogames for a living. Just strikes me as odd.

Looking forward to a more traditional Resident Evil game that isn't first-person and is not tied down to previous generation consoles. Bring back pre-rendered backgrounds? Who is with me?

Last edited:

Kangx

I don't think control is related to technical, but a lot of people on era regret buying the series x regarding to aiming control. So yeah, which version is best is depend on you, but yea it play perfect on pc/ps5 regarding aiming.

ethomaz

Banned
Look at what I'm replying to,

"It's either XSX package does not contain the XSS version "

I then say the file works on both machines as I've just tried it. Please keep up.
PS5 has indeed smaller game sizes, the Xbox package doesn’t have two versions of the game.
Or.
SmartDelivery is bullshit.

That is what he is saying... and yes the first option is the real truth.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
PS5 has indeed smaller game sizes, the Xbox package doesn’t have two versions of the game.
Or.
SmartDelivery is bullshit.

That is what he is saying... and yes the first option is the real truth.

Where did I mention PS5?

I just said the Xbox file size contains the files for both X and S versions and we now both agree it does as I said from the very beginning.

From my understanding with RE8 its the Series X and S version in the same file. But that's because they both use the same assets. All the developers are doing is reducing some visual settings so it's playable on the Series S like the resolution for example. With that said the file size is as small as it's going to be. There's no way to remove Series S assets to make it smaller because there aren't any.

Smart Delivery works when different assets are used between the two versions. Sea of Thieves is a perfect example because the XSX and the XSS don't use the same assets. It goes beyond just a simple change in resolution.

Why do I believe there's a difference in file size? It's probably due to the compression and nothing else since all three versions use the same assets.

onesvenus

It has a cost. Notice the signboard.

lgc5ym5.jpg

89FdnLE.png

VRS is clearly degrading IQ .. question is VRS or small dynamic adjustments to the image resolution. +/- 100 lines vertically, eh.
Of course VRS has a cost.
And having a shading rate computed for a given pixel size and then zooming in will always show differences, the nice thing about VRS is that ideally shouldn't be noticeable unless zooming in

Where did I mention PS5?

I just said the Xbox file size contains the files for both X and S versions and we now both agree it does as I said from the very beginning.
You're arguing against him talking about Smart Delivery which is a system MSFT has in place for games that utilize it. Smart Delivery is not used for this game.

Riky

$MSFT
From my understanding with RE8 its the Series X and S version in the same file. But that's because they both use the same assets. All the developers are doing is reducing some visual settings so it's playable on the Series S like the resolution for example. With that said the file size is as small as it's going to be. There's no way to remove Series S assets to make it smaller because there aren't any.

Smart Delivery works when different assets are used between the two versions. Sea of Thieves is a perfect example because the XSX and the XSS don't use the same assets. It goes beyond just a simple change in resolution.

Why do I believe there's a difference in file size? It's probably due to the compression and nothing else since all three versions use the same assets.

Could well be the case, we just don't know how much size Series S files are, if it was a nothing then that makes a mockery of the claims that Series S is a problem to develop for as it takes hardly any change in code to make it run on Series S.

Riky

$MSFT
You're arguing against him talking about Smart Delivery which is a system MSFT has in place for games that utilize it. Smart Delivery is not used for this game.

It's used to deliver a separate file to Series and One consoles in this case, I've personally tested all types of files so I know exactly how it works. Even the Series Enhanced XDK files where one file works on all four Xbox consoles.

Could well be the case, we just don't know how much size Series S files are, if it was a nothing then that makes a mockery of the claims that Series S is a problem to develop for as it takes hardly any change in code to make it run on Series S.

It depends on the engine really. Developers did mention the ram could cause some issues and it seems like it might happen in some cases. Developers need to make sure they can deliver the same game on the Series S and that might be a little more work for some of them.

I've never seen a performance analysis thread concentrate so much on loading speed, then I realised why, it's PS5's only advantage so of course its going to be the first thing the usual suspects talk about 🙄

I don't think either one is a big deal though. If the game goes through loading often it could be an issue for XSX owners. If the dips happened often on the PS5 it could be an issue for PS5 owners. But neither is the case here. Some people wished the differences were bigger and scream parity but that's a minority from what I've seen.

skit_data

I guess one explanation for the difference in loading times could be that the game files uses the kraken+oodle texture format, and that PS5 is good at decompressing specifically those files whereas XSX uses more CPU decompression and therefore takes longer. This also ties well into the fact that the size is relatively similar between the two.

Edit: We saw the reverse case scenario in Control. Game was heavily compressed i.e smaller file size on PS5, but the loading time was pretty much the same because XSX didn’t have to decompress the same amount if data

Last edited:
I don't think either one is a big deal though. If the game goes through loading often it could be an issue for XSX owners. If the dips happened often on the PS5 it could be an issue for PS5 owners. But neither is the case here. Some people wished the differences were bigger and scream parity but that's a minority from what I've seen.
Absolutely agree the difference is minimal.

Md Ray

Of course VRS has a cost.
And having a shading rate computed for a given pixel size and then zooming in will always show differences, the nice thing about VRS is that ideally shouldn't be noticeable unless zooming in
Yeah, it will have a cost. I personally am not a fan of VRS tier 1. Looking forward to tier 2.

Dolomite

So the ares Xbox users are testing with 3-4s the PS5 loadig is even faster than 1.x seconds.
John said himself that the loads fluctuate per area from 4-9 on the series and that its "slightly faster on the PS5, but like 1 or 2 seconds"
His words. But as I mentioned earlier with quick resume the load speeds seem less and less important

John said himself that the loads fluctuate per area from 4-9 on the series and that its "slightly faster on the PS5, but like 1 or 2 seconds"
His words. But as I mentioned earlier with quick resume the load speeds seem less and less important

Didn't he say loads on PS5 are between 1-2 seconds and not that it's just 1-2 seconds faster than the Series consoles?

What's interesting is the variability of the Series load times. The PS5s seem to be around the same for every scene.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
He means the loads on PS5 are a bit faster in these areas too (when Series X shows 4s)... it variate between 1 and 2 seconds.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Didn't he say loads on PS5 are between 1-2 seconds and not that it's just 1-2 seconds faster than the Series consoles?

What's interesting is the variability of the Series load times. The PS5s seem to be around the same for every scene.
I read it as 1-2 faster, but I'm also not imine to my own biased so I could be wrong

Bought on XSX since I have a VRR display. There is like no loading after you have started the game so not sure why that is even being discussed tbh.

The raytraced reflections are um very low resolution like distractingly so and there are lots of really poor textures but overall pretty nice looking thanks to the lighting.

I read it as 1-2 faster, but I'm also not imine to my own biased so I could be wrong

I haven't seen any loading screens on the PS5. That's my issue with assuming that it's 1 second behind the Series version. If loads were that long a fade to black of 8 seconds would look really off. In those situations a loading screen would be used which is what they did with the Series consoles.

Well, if it helps anyone I can happily report that I have not seen a single 9 second or 8 second loading screen. The longest I measured was 4 seconds on series x so I'm not sure what's wrong with John at DFs xbox 🤣🤣🤣

I don't think John is the one with the problem. I know he suffers from depression but I don't think that would make him fabricate the results. It's probably his console that's the issue because we do have proof of the longer loads from him. I honestly don't think he's slowing down the footage to increase the load times.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think John is the one with the problem. I know he suffers from depression but I don't think that would make him fabricate the results. It's probably his console that's the issue because we do have proof of the longer loads from him. I honestly don't think he's slowing down the footage to increase the load times.

oh let me be clear, I don’t think for a second he has tried to pull some form of malicious move. I would put money that there is a 8 or 9 second load somewhere on Xbox. Maybe loading his save for the lake level, or the score attack mode or something. He showed footage of timing the load so I think it’s real.

on my game it shows a type writer for around two to four seconds and then you are pretty much in the game for every part I’ve loaded but Ive been taking my time and only just got to the same area as the second demo. I’ve just done some of the castle.

loving the game so far and it’s so smooth on Xbox with raytracing so the vrr is deffo working and I’ve had no issues with aiming with the elite controller either. Really solid technical achievement from capcom here.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've never seen a performance analysis thread concentrate so much on loading speed, then I realised why, it's PS5's only advantage so of course its going to be the first thing the usual suspects talk about 🙄

im loving this game on Xbox and it’s a great technical achievement for the console with raytracing and VRR. But, Let’s also give credit where credit is due. We have gone from 30 second loading sceeens from last Gen to the ps5 literally fading to black then the game is loaded. Thats damn impressive. You don’t even get chance to see the type writer like you do on other platforms.

surely we can all see why this should be highlighted, it’s friggin dope. That’s not to say 4 second loads on Xbox is bad at all, but the ps5 is pulling off a really cool thing here.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can’t express enough how this is a none issue with this game. I’m playing with vrr on an oled tv with the latest firmware and the black level setting to 3, there is absolutely no VRR flicker and the game looks effing nuts.
even g sync monitors etc have that flicker you just can’t see it as easily due to lcd not being able to go as deep as oled on a black screen.

the only time I see any flicker on my oled now is when the game is on a loading screen On certain games like cod or outriders. When playing it looks incredible.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have read about those issues on OLED. Are you really trying to justify the attitude of a certain few because of that?? lol

that’s an old article and LG have released firmware to help with it. It’s pretty much a none issue in actual gameplay scenarios now but I see people who don’t own vrr TVs still try and bring it up.

The reality is, every tv will have some form of vrr flicker until a drastic change of technology you just can’t see it as much on a none oled tv due to the black levels.

WTF have I somehow done a triple post? Apologies everyone. i must have fucked up with my ipad

Last edited:
oh let me be clear, I don’t think for a second he has tried to pull some form of malicious move. I would put money that there is a 8 or 9 second load somewhere on Xbox. Maybe loading his save for the lake level, or the score attack mode or something. He showed footage of timing the load so I think it’s real.

on my game it shows a type writer for around two to four seconds and then you are pretty much in the game for every part I’ve loaded but Ive been taking my time and only just got to the same area as the second demo. I’ve just done some of the castle.

loving the game so far and it’s so smooth on Xbox with raytracing so the vrr is deffo working and I’ve had no issues with aiming with the elite controller either. Really solid technical achievement from capcom here.

Remember analysts tend to record a lot of footage so they will probably capture the worst case scenarios. It doesn't mean that it's a common situation for the platform but merely the worst that you can find.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
that’s an old article and LG have released firmware to help with it. It’s pretty much a none issue in actual gameplay scenarios now but I see people who don’t own vrr TVs still try and bring it up.
LG C9 has VRR so yes whatever. LG releases barely a workaround allowing people to reduce its effect on a per game basis… consumer friendly alright… 🤷‍♂️.

Mr Moose

Remember analysts tend to record a lot of footage so they will probably capture the worst case scenarios. It doesn't mean that it's a common situation for the platform but merely the worst that you can find.
Yup, between 4 and 9 seconds depending on the area (and between 1 and 2 seconds on PS5 apparently), the 8.47s was loading into the Village section I think he said.
It's like the Genshin video they did the other day, tested loading from a dungeon, I don't think they tested fast travel, fast travelling from different areas give different results for me, from 1 to 3 seconds.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
LG C9 has VRR so yes whatever. LG releases barely a workaround allowing people to reduce its effect on a per game basis… consumer friendly alright… 🤷‍♂️.
Yeah but you can’t change how a panel works. They’ve done a pretty good job considering. It’s a fact that every single display has these fluctuations in backlight from vrr or g sync it’s just hard to spot because you don’t have an infinite contrast like an oled panel.

I can promise you that in gameplay i can’t personally spot any issues now, and resi 8 is a dark game. I can even spot back light flicker on my rog swift monitor when loading into maps on apex or cod, but you can’t notice shit once you are in game. It’s the same on the cx.

Yup, between 4 and 9 seconds depending on the area (and between 1 and 2 seconds on PS5 apparently), the 8.47s was loading into the Village section I think he said.
It's like the Genshin video they did the other day, tested loading from a dungeon, I don't think they tested fast travel, fast travelling from different areas give different results for me, from 1 to 3 seconds.

Just looking at this title I think it's pretty obvious that the PS5 loads fast enough that it doesn't need a loading screen while the Series does need one. Not that it's a big deal but I believe it's why the developers chose to eliminate it on the PS5 and not the Series consoles.

rofif

Banned
I can’t express enough how this is a none issue with this game. I’m playing with vrr on an oled tv with the latest firmware and the black level setting to 3, there is absolutely no VRR flicker and the game looks effing nuts.
even g sync monitors etc have that flicker you just can’t see it as easily due to lcd not being able to go as deep as oled on a black screen.

the only time I see any flicker on my oled now is when the game is on a loading screen On certain games like cod or outriders. When playing it looks incredible.
Yeah I play on c1 and it's amazing. Hdr and vrr 4k120 full rgb!
The vrr oled flicker is game news. It only happens if you radically randomize fps. Like if the game stutters from 100 to 2fps because something loads, then momentary vrr gamma charge will be visible as flicker.
But re8 fps is smooth. 70 to 120 for me, no flicker and I don't notice gamma being slightly lower at 70 than 120fps. It does change but hard to notice.
I also wonder how would 60 fps locked game behave. Would it all the time be a bit more wanted out than 120hz game? Did that mean ps5 games never have proper gamma?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
there is out there any game that is not near - identical on both platform? let's say it didn't stop anyone from cheering even when the difference was half that in this game. Xbox have quick resume no one will relaunch the game from zero and it also have vrr today.

from menu to game is 5 sec with activity card resume. It goes straight back we’re you left.

there is out there any game that is not near - identical on both platform? let's say it didn't stop anyone from cheering even when the difference was half that in this game. Xbox have quick resume no one will relaunch the game from zero and it also have vrr today.

The issue with quick resume is that it's only good for continuing where you left off. If your loading new data you're not going to use quick resume to obtain 2 second load times.

I'm not downplaying quick resume but it's only really useful in one situation. If you have a game that loads after you use quick resume the speed of the I/O will become a factor. I personally wouldn't use quick resume to say that an I/O system is equivalent to another.

Kangx

Forget about vrr. Get the ps5 version if you have both platforms. People will complain more once the games unlock on all region. See an extreme case I quote below from era, many have already complained about it.

"How are others playing on Xbox Series X feeling about the gameplay? I mean, this can't all just be in my head, this feels noticeably worse than RE7, right? Not just the aiming and camera controls having deadzone issues, but also the way Ethan moves and seems to get stuck on objects' colliders or something. If you press A to examine something or grab an item and then try to instantly move there's a big, big delay before Ethan decides to start moving. Same if you start and stop sprinting, there's a delay before he starts walking again after you've stopped sprinting. I feel like very few are actually talking about these things but they're clearly the most highlighted, biggest negative I can say about the game as of now, lol. And the impulse trigger vibration only works for the left trigger. These techincal hiccups are so frustrating."

Last edited:
Top Bottom