• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro Hardware: MiSTer FPGA - A Brilliant Mini Emulation System Explored!

Bought in when the GBA and Sega CD cores released back to back and it really is the best way to play retro games. The games looks so damn good at high resolutions and there’s no lag which has always been my major issue with other forms of emulation.

Shouldn’t be too much longer for the public release of the CPS2 core. There’s even a PS1 core slowly coming together.

alienator

Best investment ever, got one for over a year now and it replaces 60% of the retro hardware in my mancave and added tons of systems i was missing.

Not that i got rid of my megadrive, snes, pcengine, neogeo, nes, gba amiga hardware, but they are museum pieces now.
Got my mister hooked up on a pvm and also on a modern screen with an ossc and the image quality is stunning.

The responsiveness and zero lag made me grab my Pi's and donated them to charity.

just kidding, that would be cruel. i hammer smashed them.

McCheese

Waku Waku 7

The NeoGeo core really opened my eyes to a couple of underrated gems, Waku Waku 7 being one of them, but Matrimelee I think is just a smidge better; or maybe I went in with lower expectations.

Check this out ^

Unfortunately, it does have the most difficult, insane, unfair and ARGSFSDJSDS!!! inducing end-game boss. It's almost like 2D fighters of that era were trying to one-up each other in the wtf-is-this-bullshit boss stakes. I went down the whole Matrimelee series rabbit hole after this and now I'm waiting on a bunch of Saturn cames to arrive from Japan. It also has some fully vocal music tracks on the stages which is so quirky and yet works so well, wish more games copied this.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Been thinking about getting one for a while. Only problem is, I don't really have the time to enjoy it as much as I'd like to. Also, a good emulation system currently offers more platform options.

Fake

The NeoGeo core really opened my eyes to a couple of underrated gems, Waku Waku 7 being one of them, but Matrimelee I think is just a smidge better; or maybe I went in with lower expectations.

Oh yeah, Matrimelee is another one I like, besides the weird plot.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Call me When It does 5th and 6th gen consoles
CPS2/3, Model 2/Saturn, Model 3, Dreamcast/Naomi, Namco System 11/12 would be awesome

The older systems I've owned for years and would rather just play on Retroarch w/ Run Ahead

Tarin02543

Can you buy it already assembled? I have no clue how to put it together. Are there tutorials on the website?

Ofcourse, but slowly building your set up is fun too! If can you install a new geforce you can do mister too!

You can already play some cores with just the bare bones DE10 Nano board.

I only play games that I already own. At this point, there’s no reason for me to buy a MiSTer, despite how great of a product it is.

Last edited:
Ofcourse, but slowly building your set up is fun too! If can you install a new geforce you can do mister too!

You can already play some cores with just the bare bones DE10 Nano board.
I built my pc by recently. I just have no clue how this mister works. It seems something like a raspberry pi unit. How much does it cost already assembled? I tried to search it on the website provided by Jon from DF but there were too many things I don't know what I'm looking at lol

I built my pc by recently. I just have no clue how this mister works. It seems something like a raspberry pi unit. How much does it cost already assembled? I tried to search it on the website provided by Jon from DF but there were too many things I don't know what I'm looking at lol

The top of the line (overboard, but very nice looking) pre-built from the most renowned supplier is $420: https://misteraddons.com/products/mister-pre-configured-bundles-with-case

This includes:

The minimum you would need to play everything available is:
DE10-nano ($115 - $135) + SDRAM ($60) + USB Hub ($7 to $50) = $182 to $245

The top of the line (overboard, but very nice looking) pre-built from the most renowned supplier is $420: https://misteraddons.com/products/mister-pre-configured-bundles-with-case

This includes:

The minimum you would need to play everything available is:
DE10-nano ($115 - $135) + SDRAM ($60) + USB Hub ($7 to $50) = $182 to $245
Thanks a lot. Dam $420 bucks!

Top Bottom