• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 on MiSTer FPGA hits a huge milestone today; all retail N64 games boot and the large majority just work

VGEsoterica

In under six months FPGAZumSpass, the developer of the Nintendo 64 core for MiSTer FPGA went from getting the FIRST retail game booting (Namco Museum) to getting the entire N64 library (North America, PAL and Japan) booting in FPGA on MiSTer FPGA with a massive amount of the games being near to perfectly playable and completable...which is a wild achievement in the first place and in six months...even more so.

He said his goal was to have "one retail game playable by Christmas" so saying he underpromised and overdelivered might be the understatement of the year when it comes to any sort of gaming accomplishment.

Crystal clear 1080p HDMI out, near to perfect analog RGB out, you can use your original N64 controllers via SNAC adapters if you want...basically remaking the entire N64 for a new generation of retro gaming fans and giving us "Was almost in high school at the launch" fans a wholly new and unique way to play Nintendo's first 3D console.

GAF...you playing N64 in FPGA yet?

Last edited:

Sojiro

Nice, another win for Mister! I still have an OG N64 with an Everdrive, but this is great to hear. The more options to play these games the better.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
now let's get someone to make an FPGA that reads actual N64 carts and we'd be able to make cheap N64 reproductions like the real thing in no time

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is so awesome. I finally started messing with the Saturn core, which is really impressive so far. My N64 is currently hooked up to my CRT, so I haven’t needed to try it on MiSTer yet, but I’ll definitely give it a try later on. The MiSTer is easily the best gaming device I’ve purchased in the last few years. It’s just so close to perfect for retro.

nkarafo

now let's get someone to make an FPGA that reads actual N64 carts and we'd be able to make cheap N64 reproductions like the real thing in no time
It needs to be accurate first, correct timings and all. I don't know how good it is on that front because there is no mention or testing anywhere.

Mr1999

nice man didn't realize you were a forum member here, i come across your videos every now and then. im just waiting on my sd card and should be good to go.

Top Bottom